Csudh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kp24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I am going to be applying to CSUDH soon and I was wondering if anyone who has gotten in has as any advice? I really want to get in, but it seems as if they are going to be getting many applicants this year around! I have a 3.9 gpa, All A's in prereqs except for one B, a 1200 gre score and a 5.0 on my written and more than 200 hours of volunteer experience in various settings and populations.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!
I am going to be applying to CSUDH soon and I was wondering if anyone who has gotten in has as any advice? I really want to get in, but it seems as if they are going to be getting many applicants this year around! I have a 3.9 gpa, All A's in prereqs except for one B, a 1200 gre score and a 5.0 on my written and more than 200 hours of volunteer experience in various settings and populations.

Great stats! I bet you will do fine. You have tons of volunteer experience, excellent grades and a really good GRE score.

Can I borrow half of what you have? :) I am applying there too, I think. I'm a California native but had to move back to Ohio when I was laid off. I also graduated in 2001 so I am re-taking a lot of my psychs to be in compliance with their 10 year rule. I have about 110 hours thus far. I'm staying in a rural area and it has been painful trying to get hours.

Are you going to their orientation? I am planning for the Sept. 23rd one. I can't afford to go any sooner since I have to fly out.

The info sessions are intimidating. There's a ton of students there and I feel like they try to scare students out of applying. I think they said they had like 500 people apply for like 60 spots last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great stats! I bet you will do fine. You have tons of volunteer experience, excellent grades and a really good GRE score.

Can I borrow half of what you have? :) I am applying there too, I think. I'm a California native but had to move back to Ohio when I was laid off. I also graduated in 2001 so I am re-taking a lot of my psychs to be in compliance with their 10 year rule. I have about 110 hours thus far. I'm staying in a rural area and it has been painful trying to get hours.

Are you going to their orientation? I am planning for the Sept. 23rd one. I can't afford to go any sooner since I have to fly out.

I actually flew out there from northern cali just last week for the session and I was amazed at how many people were there! I think there were about 100 just at that one session I went to. They give you a certificate of attendance that your suppose to send in with the application, so if you go to the Sept. 23rd one, make sure you have that stated on your app since the deadline is sept 15! They said they were really big on meeting deadlines! Good Luck! Hopefully we both get in =)

Don't worry kp24 you'll get in no problem. I'm applying as well but may not get in. I have a 2.95 and 1130 GRE with 4.5 on the writing. I also only have about 95 OT hours. However I have a total of 550 to 600 total health care volunteer hours with everyone from blind infants to 90 year old WW2 vets to several developmentally disabled adults, so hopefully that will help. I am also bilingual in Spanish, and one of the reasons my GPA is a little low is my decision to minor, which I will sorely regret if I don't get in anywhere. Also, I know of a CSUDH student that started the MSOT program in January, there was 74 students in her cohort, and 175 applied. She had a 2.9 GPA and a 1020 GRE, she was admitted for the January 2010 cohort but started a year late because there was too many applicants.

Last edited:
Hi!

Is there no personal statement required for CSUDH Occupational Therapy? Can't seem to find anything about an essay.

Nope, no personal statement.

yes, there actually is a personal statement through the csumentor app.

The CSUMentor personal statement is just a blanket form for everyone, you only have to fill it in if your dept requires it.

yes, there actually is a personal statement through the csumentor app.

I just applied to CSUDH via CSUMentor, and in order to leave the personal statement blank they wanted you to put that you had sent it directly to the department. I will ask if you need to submit a personal statement, or statement of intent, it kind of seemed required through the blanket form for everyone through csumentor.

Yea I applied to SJSU through CSUMentor, but SJSU required a personal statement and it was stated on their department website that they wanted one, provided a prompt and all. I didn't see anything like that on the CSUDH OT website. Seeing that they get so many applications how can applicants set themselves apart if they have similar stats?

For CSUDH-

If you are accepted to the university, does that mean the department has already accepted you? I checked my status & it changed from "documents have been sent to the department" to "you have been admitted to the university". I wasnt expecting to hear from them until Thanksgiving, so I am wondering if admission to the university is only conditional? Does any one know anything about this?

My status hasn't changed to accepted. I don't know if the status change means you got into the program, but i'll assume that what it means. Congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
My status hasn't changed to accepted. I don't know if the status change means you got into the program, but i'll assume that what it means. Congrats!

Thanks =) hopefully our assumptions are right! Maybe they are going through application in the order that they received them...when did you send your in? I sent mine like three weeks before the deadline.

The week before the deadline is when i sent mine in. Like september 8th. Remember my GPA sucks.

The week before the deadline is when i sent mine in. Like september 8th. Remember my GPA sucks.

You never know! they are mailing out the letters early this week, hope you get in!

so they already finished with deciding who they are going to accept?

so they already finished with deciding who they are going to accept?

Thats what im assuming. I emailed the chair and she said that they would be mailing letters out early this week.

KP did you get anything in the mail or just the status change and email from the program director?

KP did you get anything in the mail or just the status change and email from the program director?

Hey,

I got a letter from the university past monday & got my letter from the dept. this Sat. We have to accept/decline by this friday. Did you hear back from them?

Nope. I hope I get the courtesy of a rejection letter though. I think because they are giving you so little time, that they might be doing a rolling admissions type thing. Are you going to enroll?

Veggie, it does say on the letter that if we do not respond by the 18th, our spot will be given to some on the applicant alternate list.

Don't give up hope!

3.9 coursework
4.0 prereqs but anat and physio still in progress currently
1350 gre

i'm not even close, i had a 2.9 in my undergrad. I have a 1130 GRE, 4.5 writing.

Nope. I hope I get the courtesy of a rejection letter though. I think because they are giving you so little time, that they might be doing a rolling admissions type thing. Are you going to enroll?

You may be on the alternative/waitlist =) I am going to enroll..Its a good program & affordable =).

Got my rejection letter today. Congrats to everyone that got in. Its the best situation for me actually, so it works out in my favor.

No rejection yet for me but I don't think I'll get in! I'd love to get in, but there's not a good chance I'd work full-time post graduation so money is a little bit of a concern. If you do field work in Socal I may run into you because I will probably be a COTA student. I have not been rejected yet. No loss if I do get rejected. I didn't even apply to San Jose State or USC.

Got my rejection letter today. Congrats to everyone that got in. Its the best situation for me actually, so it works out in my favor.
I hope you get in to one of your top choices! I'm rooting for you! Let us know if you get into a program, especially a cheap state school! I haven't lost hope, but you have to do what is best for you and what suits you, CSUDH might not be best for me. My dad just told me he's hoping a rejection letter comes tomorrow.

A very thin envelope from CSUDH came today. I have been wait listed! This is a symbolic victory for me! Santa Ana College Occupational Therapy Assistant Program Class of 2014!

KP and resot, both of you have impressive GPA's and GRE's!! I was put on the waiting list.. hoping some people didn't respond by today :) Congrats to those who were accepted.

Any recommendations on what other school to apply to? I'm applying to USC but it's so expensive so would really prefer to attend a different school.

Lb, are u interested in SJSU at all? Their apps aren't due yet. And any other private schools like st. Augustine in sd?

Lb, are u interested in SJSU at all? Their apps aren't due yet. And any other private schools like st. Augustine in sd?

I was but my GRE score is 980 and their minimun is 1000. I thought of re-taking it again, but I absolutely hate that exam. When I emailed them, they said I had to meet that requirement so it's pretty much pointless to apply. I also heard St Agustine in San Diego is not accreditted yet and it ends up costing like over 70k plus living expenses,

I was but my GRE score is 980 and their minimun is 1000. I thought of re-taking it again, but I absolutely hate that exam. When I emailed them, they said I had to meet that requirement so it's pretty much pointless to apply. I also heard St Agustine in San Diego is not accreditted yet and it ends up costing like over 70k plus living expenses,

That's what I was told too about SJSU lblulu. I had a 990 on the GRE and can't afford to re-take it. I wish they considered applicants will slightly below 1000, my last 60 GPA is where I actually stay competitive.

lblulu what was your GPA? I'm alternate list as well. The University of Saint Augustine is fully accredited through 2018 or something like that, so don't worry about that!

Just seconding what veggie said, st Augustine was recently added to aota's accredited list.

Oh that's good to know! GPA 3.44 and think like a 3.6 on prereq

We're both waitlisted! I'm applying to USC I think, and maybe a few others! I'm not applying to Saint Augustine because it is just, too new and too expensive. USC I'd pay for, but not Saint Augustine.

i was accepted today via the alternate list.

Yes I am going to accept. I will be commuting from a town called Fountain Valley, next to Huntington Beach, about 21-22 miles away. Thankfully I'm local, it would have been hard to relocate with a month's notice. The commuting should last one semester, then I will be on campus. Maybe I will live on campus the first semester, but probably not. It is a 45 minute to one hour commute in the worst rush hour imaginable, so that's not bad. I feel like I made a mistake by applying to any other schools and I am excited!

Last edited:
Yes I am going to accept. I will be commuting from a town called Fountain Valley, next to Huntington Beach, about 21-22 miles away. Thankfully I'm local, it would have been hard to relocate with a month's notice. The commuting should last one semester, then I will be on campus. Maybe I will live on campus the first semester, but probably not. It is a 45 minute to one hour commute in the worst rush hour imaginable, so that's not bad. I feel like I made a mistake by applying to any other schools and I am excited!

hi veggieswirl,

do you mind sharing what number you were on the waitlist?