Current BCOM students, please chime in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlebowski_DO

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I keep reading mixed reviews about BCOM, and I want to ask current students to bring up some pros and cons of the school.

What do you like and dislike about it?
3rd and 4th yrs, please speak about the clinical sites
4th yrs, how is residency match outlook if you're able to give any information at this time?
How is the faculty in ensuring the success of the students?
Is this school an "up and coming" DO program?
What is student satisfaction with the program?
Do you feel the environment makes you comfortable in succeeding at BCOM?
Is there anything else you think is important for me to know that I didn't mention?

I am extremely thankful for the responses!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I can give you my opinion on these questions for you if you are still trying to decide. Let me know

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

What do you like and dislike about it? I really enjoyed the area and the unique health care environment created by the proximity to the border. There is a distinct culture that comes both from New Mexico and from Mexico that I really enjoyed. The "affiliation" with NMSU is also very nice. You get access to all of their student stuff (sports, intramurals, gym, libraries, etc.). Other than that I think it is a fairly standard educational experience.
3rd and 4th yrs, please speak about the clinical sites - Seemed to be pretty good for the most part. There were a lot of problems in making sure students were getting the appropriate rotations, but I think these are being fixed and wouldn't be an issue by the time you graduate. I think all DO schools struggle somewhat with getting good rotations. At least the rotations are in decent-sized cities for the most part, and you should be ok. They aren't strong, but I think are kind of middle of the pack as far as DO schools go.
4th yrs, how is residency match outlook if you're able to give any information at this time? Not great, but check back in a few weeks. The military match had two matches (gen surg and prelim IM), and one not match (FM). Two nice specialty matches (optho and uro). But, it's really hard to say. My guess is that the match will follow board scores. BCOM had bad pass rates and scores for the class of 2020, and worse for class of 2021. I would assume the match will follow that trend. But, maybe not. A lot of the weak students were held back a year, or have dropped out. Stay tuned on this one.
How is the faculty in ensuring the success of the students? Faculty seemed pretty stretched when I was there for my first two years. I don't know what the current status is there now since it's been 2 years basically since I was on campus.
Is this school an "up and coming" DO program? No
What is student satisfaction with the program? I think most students feel that they are not satisfied. I also think that is pretty common amongst medical students to feel that way. Especially at DO programs. Successful students in my class feel that they succeeded despite BCOM, not because of BCOM. There isn't much support. And it often felt like the school was working against the students.
Do you feel the environment makes you comfortable in succeeding at BCOM? Sure. The students are great for the most part. My class had some that were not as helpful, but for the most part people are nice and collaborative as a whole. Medical school is very much individual, and if you create a good environment, you will do ok. You can do that at BCOM.
Is there anything else you think is important for me to know that I didn't mention? It's a for-profit school. Meaning that their ultimate objective is to make money. That money comes from the students. Since their students are their source of revenue, I think that alters their perspective some. You will still get a medical degree and be able to become a doctor which is ultimately the most important in my mind. You will have the opportunity to do what you want, but will have to work your ass off to get it. Pretty standard. All of this may change on match day depending on how it goes. haha