This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentpharmacist1995

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello current/future Rphs!

I am a P4. I have gotten a grad intern offer with CVS at a district 90 miles away from my hometown in South Florida. I accepted it as there seems to be no jobs any where. For those who work for CVS, what is the process if I would like to be near my hometown? Should I not mess with anything just yet, wait until I am converted to Rph from intern before requesting to come back to same or nearby from current district?
I didn't get a job offer in my current district as it is too saturated in this area of Fort Lauderdale. But I am expected to move in a small city 90 miles away after grad with the only offer I got. If I dont get anything else, I am fine there (better one job than nothing after graduation).
Any advice on the process of district transfer would be appreciated. I have NO idea how it works for CVS pharmacist. Please, and thank you.

ALSO: Anyone who received a job offer for CVS or other chains that are 2018 Grad please share your region, pay, and company in this forum.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
What hourly rate are CVS offering?

You are lucky they even have a spot in your state. The only offers they gave me were for out of state stores

Members don't see this ad :)
You are lucky they even have a spot in your state. The only offers they gave me were for out of state stores
I agree I am lucky to even have this, which is why I am willing to relocate. But just wanted to know the process from the current rphs of cvs

Port St. Lucie? That's actually where I started off but for Walgreens. If you want to be a retail pharmacist just take it, prove yourself, and even get on the track to become a pharmacy manager. You can do this in as little as a month or two. Once you are a manager, your marketability in the retail jobs market goes up immensely because lots of RPh don't want to do it, but every store needs one. So then it should be easy to transfer within the chain or even to another company.

Reactions: 1 users
$54/55 after doing the math
Thanks. I'm just curious on how their wages are trending. That seems low, but S. Florida has a reputation for poor pay. I started in the low $40's/hr about five years ago in a large hospital system down there.

Hello current/future Rphs!

I am a P4. I have gotten a grad intern offer with CVS at a district 90 miles away from my hometown in South Florida. I accepted it as there seems to be no jobs any where. For those who work for CVS, what is the process if I would like to be near my hometown? Should I not mess with anything just yet, wait until I am converted to Rph from intern before requesting to come back to same or nearby from current district?

I didn't get a job offer in my current district as it is too saturated in this area of Fort Lauderdale. But I am expected to move in a small city 90 miles away after grad with the only offer I got. If I dont get anything else, I am fine there (better one job than nothing after graduation).

Any advice on the process of district transfer would be appreciated. I have NO idea how it works for CVS pharmacist. Please, and thank you.
Me neither but Congrats!!!! I also live in South Florida.

Wow, that is atrocious, but your State does have no income tax so who knows how close that is to what some of us in CA get but some of us are mid 70’s and close to the 80’s here.
What part of CA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Port St. Lucie? That's actually where I started off but for Walgreens. If you want to be a retail pharmacist just take it, prove yourself, and even get on the track to become a pharmacy manager. You can do this in as little as a month or two. Once you are a manager, your marketability in the retail jobs market goes up immensely because lots of RPh don't want to do it, but every store needs one. So then it should be easy to transfer within the chain or even to another company.
Actually, even farther North, in Sebastian FL. Thanks for your great advice though. I am optimistic for anything, just sucks its not much to do there from being compared to Ft Laud/Miami, im sure you know. But I really appreciate your advice and look forward to doing the exact!

Wow, that is atrocious, but your State does have no income tax so who knows how close that is to what some of us in CA get but some of us are mid 70’s and close to the 80’s here.
From what I hear from my cousin who is an Rph at a hospital, he makes 111k, 33% tax bracket, brings home roughly 72K after taxes. I really hope you guys make a heck lot more than 72k or so after all your taxes and notorious expense in Cali with tough real estate market etc

Actually, even farther North, in Sebastian FL. Thanks for your great advice though. I am optimistic for anything, just sucks its not much to do there from being compared to Ft Laud/Miami, im sure you know. But I really appreciate your advice and look forward to doing the exact!

What?! Is the pharm sup or whatever it’s called now still Steve Beers?

What?! Is the pharm sup or whatever it’s called now still Steve Beers?
I heard Steve Beers has transitioned back to store manager after CVS got rid of all Rx Sups and only have DM now that handles both FS and Rx Dept. Are you from that area? Any tips on real estate/housing/job outlooks?

I heard Steve Beers has transitioned back to store manager after CVS got rid of all Rx Sups and only have DM now that handles both FS and Rx Dept. Are you from that area? Any tips on real estate/housing/job outlooks?

Yeah for sure I will send you a PM. Vero Beach is my home town.

Just got an offer for $64 in SoCal as a new grad for CVS myself, mixed feelings... :confused:

Precisely, but they only mentioned as of now they can promise me 30 hours it is 85k
Precisely, but they only mentioned as of now they can promise me 30 hours it is 85k

And that's fine. Put your best foot forward as you have student loans to pay. That is not to say it is OK to schedule you for six 5-hour shifts or five 6-hour shifts. Three 10-hour shifts would be ideal but having to work 4 days would be standard. So don't let it go over that.
You can get a per diem position at the local hospital. Your clinical knowledge is fresh. Take advantage of that.

Best of luck!

And that's fine. Put your best foot forward as you have student loans to pay. That is not to say it is OK to schedule you for six 5-hour shifts or five 6-hour shifts. Three 10-hour shifts would be ideal but having to work 4 days would be standard. So don't let it go over that.
You can get a per diem position at the local hospital. Your clinical knowledge is fresh. Take advantage of that.

Best of luck!
Thanks for the tips! Appreciate it!

You're going to have a hard time transferring. The managers know you will take the job even though you don't live near there because they need help and they know you're desperate. The only way you can transfer is if you become a PIC. If you're a staff, based on my experience, they won't move you. Other districts don't want to take on more staff pharmacists. And even if you are a PIC, it'll take a while to transfer because they'll keep pushing it off.

You're going to have a hard time transferring. The managers know you will take the job even though you don't live near there because they need help and they know you're desperate. The only way you can transfer is if you become a PIC. If you're a staff, based on my experience, they won't move you. Other districts don't want to take on more staff pharmacists. And even if you are a PIC, it'll take a while to transfer because they'll keep pushing it off.
Thanks for the pointers, I appreciate it. I agree with you, as I hear everyone say the same.

As my father always said to me... "It builds character." OP will be fine.

It's not "atrocious". Cost of living is WAY lower than in California. Real Estate is also reasonably priced. I am almost certain OP may have actually struck gold. He just does not know it yet.

i finally got an offer as well, but at walgreens. guaranteed 32 hours a week

Reactions: 5 users
It's not "atrocious". Cost of living is WAY lower than in California. Real Estate is also reasonably priced. I am almost certain OP may have actually struck gold. He just does not know it yet.

lol... are things this bad that landing a job at CVS is considered "struck gold"? things must be worst than I thought

lol... are things this bad that landing a job at CVS is considered "struck gold"? things must be worst than I thought

That's best the conclusion you were able to draw from my sentences? Open those eyes when you're verifying orders... and SLOW DOWN... you need to.

i can't wait until i start verifying some amphetamine salts, it'll be very exciting for me

CVS...smh...tell Larry I said FO

Friend in the tri-state

CVS
$57.50/hr, 35hr/wk
~104k

Reactions: 2 users
Yes but you people who live in CA and NY to an extent have to consider cost of living. A person making 55 hr in my state of Texas is probably equivalent to making 70hr to someone inCalifornia. I mean seriously aren't there apartments is California with rent of $2000 or more a month? In Texas, $2000 a month rent/mortgage would get you a house in a very nice neighborhood. Add into the fact of the new tax law that kicks in next year where you will only be able to cap off 10k is really going to hurt homeowners in CA and NY. So basically pharmacist who live in CA make $70 an hour are not really doing much bette than Rph's making $55 hr n other states b/c of the cost of living.

That's insulting tbh.

Amazon is coming.
CVS/WAG standard rate in LA/SD is 64-65 for staff. You can go to sh1tty area away from the metro then they will bump that to 67-68. BFE staff will get you 72-73.

Manager rate, just add $3 for all the above base rate.

I wouldn't aim for higher hourly rate it just means you live in real sh1t town.

CVS/WAG standard rate in LA/SD is 64-65 for staff. You can go to sh1tty area away from the metro then they will bump that to 67-68. BFE staff will get you 72-73.

Manager rate, just add $3 for all the above base rate.

I wouldn't aim for higher hourly rate it just means you live in real sh1t town.

for 5 years exp staff, are they only paying 73 for el centro/calexico/yuma area if I could get 76 staff 80 manager I just might take the CPJE!!!!

for 5 years exp staff, are they only paying 73 for el centro/calexico/yuma area if I could get 76 staff 80 manager I just might take the CPJE!!!!
78-80 manager @ Blythe, CA or Parker, AZ. You will get around 73-75 as manager in El Centro areas.

78-80 manager @ Blythe, CA or Parker, AZ. You will get around 73-75 as manager in El Centro areas.

This is anecdotal, but I've heard of a PIC in Redding, CA making 90/hour. Fun fact, legend has it, he transferred from LA!

This is anecdotal, but I've heard of a PIC in Redding, CA making 90/hour. Fun fact, legend has it, he transferred from LA!
I didn't just hear. I have the exact pay guidelines picture coming from corp for all the stores in the areas I mentioned above.

Some of the town I mentioned above is way worse than Redding. Redding is actually pretty nice town with basic amenities, it has a movie theater, target, walmart, a bunch of restaurants, 100k pop. I never trust "I hear" so you might be disappointed if you try to move to Redding and get an offer around $73-75.

when i calculated the biweekly paid with number of guaranteed hours in my walgreens offer it comes out to $72/hour. is that legitimate for a new grad pharmacist? the state i am in has no pharmacy school so i think that is causing the pay to be higher here

when i calculated the biweekly paid with number of guaranteed hours in my walgreens offer it comes out to $72/hour. is that legitimate for a new grad pharmacist? the state i am in has no pharmacy school so i think that is causing the pay to be higher here
that doesnt sound right, especially for a new grad. maybe the pay is based on 40hr?

I didn't just hear. I have the exact pay guidelines picture coming from corp for all the stores in the areas I mentioned above.

Some of the town I mentioned above is way worse than Redding. Redding is actually pretty nice town with basic amenities, it has a movie theater, target, walmart, a bunch of restaurants, 100k pop. I never trust "I hear" so you might be disappointed if you try to move to Redding and get an offer around $73-75.

Well, Redding would be a nice place to live, if it weren't for the fact that 1) it gets ungodly hot in the summer, 2) it's isolated from other major cities by 2+ hours, and 3) it (allegedly) has a problem with meth heads.

Well, Redding would be a nice place to live, if it weren't for the fact that 1) it gets ungodly hot in the summer, 2) it's isolated from other major cities by 2+ hours, and 3) it (allegedly) has a problem with meth heads.
At least, that town has a movie theater lmao. Check blythe or parker location, amenities, and population. You will laugh.