This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rainingonsunday95

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I live in NY and I have not create a set list just yet.
Get the MSAR. Identify the IS schools where your stats are a good match for their median. Add OOS schools (esp. private) in your region that are also a match.
Come back with that and we will help.
Is that your only MCAT?

Get the MSAR. Identify the IS schools where your stats are a good match for their median. Add OOS schools (esp. private) in your region that are also a match.
Come back with that and we will help.
Is that your only MCAT?

It's my only mcat.
School list I found with OOS(my sGPA and MCAT reaches their goal but not cGPA)
-A lot of DO schools I did not include on the list

Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
New York Medical College
Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Medical College of Georgia at Georgia Regents University
Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
Tulane University School of Medicine
Albany Medical College
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine
State University of New York Upstate Medical University

Are you sure you checked the MSAR...? MCG only matriculated 10 OOS MD students last year (for 230 seats). If you did not attend school in GA, that would be a very low yield choice.
Focus on the MCAT. Schools can be more flexible with gpa's. What was your year by year trend in science gpa?
You need at least a dozen good OOS choices. I count 4 or 5 so far. You also need to include all your IS publics.

You are a good candidate for any DO school.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure you checked the MSAR...? Focus on the MCAT. Schools can be more flexible with gpa's.
MCG only matriculated 10 OOS MD students last year (for 230 seats). If you did not attend school in GA, that would be a very low yield choice.
You need at least a dozen good OOS choices. I count 4 or 5 so far. You also need to include all your IS publics.

You are a good candidate for any DO school.
Thank you for replying, I got the information for OOS from prospectivedoctor

For OOS I added :
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences F. Edward Hebert School of Medicine
Loma Linda University School of Medicine
Creighton University School of Medicine
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Indiana University School of Medicine

For IS :
Hofstra
Stony brook
Cornell
Suny upstate
Suny downstate
Suny buffalo
NYIT
Rochester
Sinai
Albany
New York Medical college
Albert Einstein
NYU
Colombia
Touro

Do you live to serve Christ? If not, delete Loma Linda. If you have sex outside of marriage or drink (at all), you can delete LLU, even if you do live to serve Christ.
You could safely delete M Sinai, Cornell, Rochester, Columbia, NYU and Hofstra (these are high stats IS private schools). Your best bets are IS public and OOS private where you are a stats match.
You are aware that there is a military service commitment to attend USUHS.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, guys

I am a newbie to SDN, just got my mcat result back last week. Need you guys to help me with my application process! Much appreciated!

GPA&MCAT: (bachelor of arts in interdisciplinary studies: with concentration of biology, chemistry and theater arts)
-cGPA: 3.42
-sGPA: 3.65
-MCAT: 511
I went to a community college for the first 3 years, did not take it seriously because I didn't know what I wanted to do at the time, did not take any pre-med pre-reqs there, came out with a 3.2 GPA. Then I transferred to a 4 year college,finished my bachelor in the 3 and half years because a lot of my classes didn't transfer over, and my GPA at the 4 year school was a 3.55 due to a terrible first semester(2.5GPA),then some life changing events happened and I realized I wanted to do medicine for the rest of my life during the second semester , and even since I had a significant upward-trent for GPA ( finished each semester with 3.6+) I took all my pre-reqs at the 4 year insititution and got As or A- pretty much in every class besides orgo lab(B-) and calculus I (B).

Extracurricular Activities:
-Worked as a waiter/bartender during school years since I was 17 until now (I am 24)
-volunteer at a nursing home during the summer(100 hours)
-clinical research assistant at the university hospital (1 year and half , no pubs)
-shadow/intern at a primary care physician office (2 years)
-volunteer as a trainer at a fitness camp for overweight kids(1 year)
-Teacher's assistant for general chemistry(1year)
-Teacher's assistant for a theatre class (1 year) mainly doing art designs and VRs

Background information:
-
ethnicity: asian
- I moved to United States from China at the age of 14, spoke very little English when I came here.
-I was a finance major and realized that's not what I wanted to do, made a lot of bad choices and associate myself with bad friends. Then I met my mentor(which is the physician I shadowed/ interned with for years) and he changed my life, I was able to turn my life around.
-Took me 6 and half years to finish my bachelor degree

What are my chances to med school? Should I consider getting a master's degree due to my cGPA? Maybe retaking the MCAT? With my stats what med schools should I look into applying? Thank a lot for your time guys.

I suggest the following:
U Toledo
Dartmouth
U VM
Miami
Tufts
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wayne State
Wake Forest
Netter
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Seton Hall
Nova MD
CUSM IF you're from CA
Your state school.
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. You're fine for any DO school.

Invest in MSAR and eliminate any schools where your cGPA is < their 10th %ile for matriculants.

Reactions: 1 user