Daily reminder to do the bare minimum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Agree. In an SDG environment, everyone should go above and beyond. I still maintain though that in a CMG/employed job, there is no reason to.

With regards to the SDG question, why should an experienced attending accept 2 years of low pay, nights, bad scheduling, metrics whipping? This particular SDG has lost at least 3 people that I know of in the past year. In addition there are retired legacy partners who still earn profit sharing.

So it's acceptable for me to fund someone's retirement at 170/hr? That my friend, is predatory.
It sounds like whatever experience you had with an SDG wasn't a good one. A partnership track with almost always have to work more hours than the partners but the scheduling should still be consistent. Maybe you have to work an average of 0.5 nights/month more just because of the extra hours but there should no difference in the rest of the schedule.

An experienced attending doesn't necessarily have any more of a right for a different partnership track than a new resident. It probably doesn't make sense for a late career attending to do it. It probably makes sense for a mid career attending to do it but my experience is that most people spend so much that it isn't possible.
 
Gaslight? Please. Maybe 1-2 years to hit your stride as in feel comfortable but not necessarily regarding productivity. Over the last few years we have had several new residents consistently outperform seasoned attendings with regards to productivity (patients per hour, RVUs per patient, RVUs per hour, etc.). They also didn't have the mindset to do the bare minimum so maybe that's where you went wrong. Maybe it's just us being selective on who gets hired.

Right so preferentially hire new grads over experience who dont know their worth yet and will accept such conditions. Predatory.

Gaslight? Please. Maybe 1-2 years to hit your stride as in feel comfortable but not necessarily regarding productivity. Over the last few years we have had several new residents consistently outperform seasoned attendings with regards to productivity (patients per hour, RVUs per patient, RVUs per hour, etc.). They also didn't have the mindset to do the bare minimum so maybe that's where you went wrong. Maybe it's just us being selective on who gets hired.

Productivity doesnt equal good care.
 
Right so preferentially hire new grads over experience who dont know their worth yet and will accept such conditions. Predatory.



Productivity doesnt equal good care.
No, hire the best candidate that is out there. Many times that is going to be a new grad. The last 2 hires that didn't work out in our group were both mid-career docs.

If they didn't give good care then they would no longer be employed by our group.

It's clear that you enjoy doing the bare minimum while being a complainer at the maximum. I suspect that there probably isn't a realistic job out there in EM that you'd be happy with as you'd always find something to complain about without providing solutions. I do hope you find a job you enjoy or at least tolerate.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Productivity doesnt equal good care.
This is obviously true, however, I can tell you that there is a certain standard of productivity that we expect from all of our docs (as would most employers I suspect). We have a conversation with people who don't meet it. If things subsequently fail to improve, they are let go.

FWIW: this is for the sake of maintaining flow in the dept. I don't make any money off of the other docs in the group. We are entirely keep what you kill. There is no "partner" status in our group where someone makes money off of someone else.
 
No, hire the best candidate that is out there. Many times that is going to be a new grad. The last 2 hires that didn't work out in our group were both mid-career docs.

If they didn't give good care then they would no longer be employed by our group.

It's clear that you enjoy doing the bare minimum while being a complainer at the maximum. I suspect that there probably isn't a realistic job out there in EM that you'd be happy with as you'd always find something to complain about. I do hope you find a job you enjoy or at least tolerate.

I tolerate my job just fine. I know my worth, take good care of my patients, and don't allow corporations to exploit me.

Personal insults aside, do you refund the difference between the rate you pay your prepartners and the MGMA average if you decide halfway through their partnership track that you don't like them, or is this just kept and distributed to the partners?

Are there any contractual financial protections for prepartners if you decide to sell or lose the contract?

The argument of "new grads are often more productive" supports my predation argument as these docs are fresh out of the brainwashing meat grinder of residency and you know they will pick up that new patient the second they arrive. Perfectly fine strategy from a business perspective.

If quality was a goal, you'd target docs w moderate experience, who are more than comfortable doing all their own procedures and dispositions solo without any help, and pay for that experience.
 
Last edited:
I know it's tomato tomato, but are you really putting an EJ in someone these days and not an US guided PIV? I haven't placed an EJ in years.

And before this starts another side discussion on US PIVs, yes I know this can get abused by nursing if you don't make it painful for them to ask you. If 3 different RNs stick the patient and can't get access I'll do an US PIV. Whether or not others think that's reasonable for them is certainly open to debate.

Best of both worlds: ultrasound guided IJ (just need the longer angiocath)
 
Sad threat overall. To each their own. Those who know me on here and not know I value the SDG system. There is no way to make it perfect.

Every group has outside issues, money losing hospitals they staff, greedy senior partners, declining reimbursement etc.

My thoughts at the 30k view is this. At an SDG your income is based solely on how well you run your business, you keep profits and the glut of docs and noctors wont impact your income. That is real, that is coming and it wont be pretty.

CMG pay is based 100% of supply demand economics. Its why USACS and other crappy cmgs have replaced docs. As they can hire easier, their debt burden becomes unbearable the only solution is to cut your pay which has happened in many parts of the country. Near me one large CMG just cut pay 30%.

Another one cut pay from 230/hr to 200.

Every SDG is also prone to this but they can choose which levers to pull to protect income/quality of work.

FWIW most SDGs are making over 300/hr based on people i know. Some making substantially more. That discrepancy is big and likely to grow.

Yes hospitals can yank your contract on a whim, thats why the "subsidy" is the noose slowly killing you especially in this time where hospitals are struggling financially as well.

If each person is happy in their situation be it, sdg, cmg employed good for you.

I think for some people it is better to not know how others are doing. there are EM docs making well north of 600/700k if you make 400k and are happy that might not be something you want to know.
Some folks will tell themselves those guys must be cheating, those guys must be overusing MLPs, those guys are committing fraud, those guys must be seeing 5 pph to earn that.. some are... many arent.
 
I tolerate my job just fine. I know my worth, take good care of my patients, and don't allow corporations to exploit me.

Personal insults aside, do you refund the difference between the rate you pay your prepartners and the MGMA average if you decide halfway through their partnership track that you don't like them, or is this just kept and distributed to the partners?

Are there any contractual financial protections for prepartners if you decide to sell or lose the contract?

The argument of "new grads are often more productive" supports my predation argument as these docs are fresh out of the brainwashing meat grinder of residency and you know they will pick up that new patient the second they arrive. Perfectly fine strategy from a business perspective.

If quality was a goal, you'd target docs w moderate experience, who are more than comfortable doing all their own procedures and dispositions solo without any help, and pay for that experience.
Its interesting on one of the job boards some guy posted for new grads pay was like 200/hr but 230 if ABEM. The younger docs (I presume) said hey we bill the same, insurance pays the same why the difference. I get where you are coming from but i see both sides.
 
Thats my go to. quick easy and has few issues.

Plus in everyone, except for the most dehydrated of nursing home mummies, you are aiming for a friggen pipe of a target. I happen to be very good at U/S everything, but its nice to have an incredibly easy time with it even if you could have theoretically threaded the tiny vessel barely larger than the 20g youre using.
 
Another Pro-Tip: Never waste your time completing the "HealthStream" modules or other such BS online learning until threatened by your direct supervisor.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Give us some stories of how
This is a life mentality and not just work. There are always easier ways to do anything. Just sit back, clear your mind, and think of solutions. Many tend to wallow in the situation rather than try to fix it. Sometimes situations just can't be fixed no matter what so the choice becomes either to accept/move on or wallow in "woes me".

Just some examples from work
1. We were a SDG who had the DOS based meditech EMR. This is by far the worse and its all typing. I can type super fast but found that my days were miserable acting like a secretary. So I created about 100 templates that covered 99.9% of charts. I was going to type it anyhow, so I just typed it into an online storaged, copied and pasted after changing a few details. I averaged a completed chart in 2 minutes while other docs took about 7 minutes. 5x20ppd = 100 minutes. That is 100 minutes for me to make money, go drink coffee, leave the ER, surf the internet, etc. No one ever complained b/c I was a top 2 RVU producer and went home right on the dot 90% of the time. The other guy who was a top RVU producer stayed 1-3 hrs ever shift. In the long run, this messes with your mind and one reason why I never got burned out even after 15 yrs. Simple fix, and some docs copied me after I explained to them what to do. Others kept being a secretary. I almost never had a down chart either b/c my charts read like a novel.

2. Our specialist/hospitalists became super busy and the slow ones sometimes would take 1-2 hrs to call back. Docs would page, wait after their shift ended to leave bc they rightfully so didn't want to pass this on to the next doc. After a few times of this, I left my cell with the clerk/txt the hospitalists to call me b/c I am going home. No one ever complained and I saved myself countless days of staying back. An 8 hr shift vs a 10 hrs shift is a huge deal.

I can go on and on but I learned to "game" the system and was by far the most efficient doc in our group. When I started to do locums, I again became the most efficient doc regardless of EMR/environment. Nurses loved when I worked b/c I got people out which allows me great latitude to take a bunch of breaks, stop seeing pts 2 hrs before my shift ended, surf the internet. When you are the fastest/most efficient doc, no one cares what you do or leave the ER. Be the slowest doc and they will give you the evil eye if you leave the department.

I can go on and on but I see this in life all the time. The amount of time people take to do simple tasks astounds me. I go in and out, and ever extra minute I save is a minute I can go take a nap or be with my family. Learn this early and work/life frustrations will almost disappear.
 
...except someone has to cover the slow shifts as well. How's your volume at 4AM? What incentive is there to take a slow antisocial shift?
It's easy, set a floor, below which no one can go. If the average is $300/hr for the busy daytime shifts, make a slower shift $250/hr plus any night differential depending on difficulty
Nope a hospital must have an ER physician on hospital grounds and if you don't you are not a hospital. You also sign ekgs and get calls from EMS. pure RVU is crazy
Agreed, night shifts should have a floor or minimum. In most places (admittedly only a few) the night shift doctors on average make more with guarantees and night shift differentials.
 
...If each person is happy in their situation be it, sdg, cmg employed good for you.

I think for some people it is better to not know how others are doing. there are EM docs making well north of 600/700k if you make 400k and are happy that might not be something you want to know.
Some folks will tell themselves those guys must be cheating, those guys must be overusing MLPs, those guys are committing fraud, those guys must be seeing 5 pph to earn that.. some are... many arent.
I agree that it's best to find a situation in which you're happy and then stop worrying about what everyone else is doing. If you let every person who appears to have it better than you ruin what otherwise was making you happy, then you're setting yourself up for continued failure and disappointment. FOMO can destroy what is otherwise a very good life, if you let it.
 
Last edited:
This is a life mentality and not just work. There are always easier ways to do anything. Just sit back, clear your mind, and think of solutions. Many tend to wallow in the situation rather than try to fix it. Sometimes situations just can't be fixed no matter what so the choice becomes either to accept/move on or wallow in "woes me".

Just some examples from work
1. We were a SDG who had the DOS based meditech EMR. This is by far the worse and its all typing. I can type super fast but found that my days were miserable acting like a secretary. So I created about 100 templates that covered 99.9% of charts. I was going to type it anyhow, so I just typed it into an online storaged, copied and pasted after changing a few details. I averaged a completed chart in 2 minutes while other docs took about 7 minutes. 5x20ppd = 100 minutes. That is 100 minutes for me to make money, go drink coffee, leave the ER, surf the internet, etc. No one ever complained b/c I was a top 2 RVU producer and went home right on the dot 90% of the time. The other guy who was a top RVU producer stayed 1-3 hrs ever shift. In the long run, this messes with your mind and one reason why I never got burned out even after 15 yrs. Simple fix, and some docs copied me after I explained to them what to do. Others kept being a secretary. I almost never had a down chart either b/c my charts read like a novel.

2. Our specialist/hospitalists became super busy and the slow ones sometimes would take 1-2 hrs to call back. Docs would page, wait after their shift ended to leave bc they rightfully so didn't want to pass this on to the next doc. After a few times of this, I left my cell with the clerk/txt the hospitalists to call me b/c I am going home. No one ever complained and I saved myself countless days of staying back. An 8 hr shift vs a 10 hrs shift is a huge deal.

I can go on and on but I learned to "game" the system and was by far the most efficient doc in our group. When I started to do locums, I again became the most efficient doc regardless of EMR/environment. Nurses loved when I worked b/c I got people out which allows me great latitude to take a bunch of breaks, stop seeing pts 2 hrs before my shift ended, surf the internet. When you are the fastest/most efficient doc, no one cares what you do or leave the ER. Be the slowest doc and they will give you the evil eye if you leave the department.

I can go on and on but I see this in life all the time. The amount of time people take to do simple tasks astounds me. I go in and out, and ever extra minute I save is a minute I can go take a nap or be with my family. Learn this early and work/life frustrations will almost disappear.


This is what I do. See 2, get coffee, see 2, get coffee.
 
...except someone has to cover the slow shifts as well. How's your volume at 4AM? What incentive is there to take a slow antisocial shift?
Everyone works a square schedule. You want someone to work nights figure out the RVUs/shift and figure out the delta there then throw something in for someone working nights. It’s how we do it.
 
FWIW, there are plenty of reasons not to go to 100% RVU. I love it. You know what this is how the payers pay us. They dont pay us on Press Ganey, or how many stupid ass modules we do. Thats all noise.

See the patient, drop the bill, collect the money. This is how it works on the side you dont see why would you not be paid on this.

Every system has its issues. Assuming you have volume the RVU model is the best in my opinion. I have worked in a pure hourly with bonuses based solely on hours worked(Tons of issues), a mix of both where it was 50/50 and my current gig of 100% RVU based.

Probably because I am efficient I like the RVU model. It is slow, I go home, it is busy i just step up my pace.
 
FWIW, there are plenty of reasons not to go to 100% RVU. I love it. You know what this is how the payers pay us. They dont pay us on Press Ganey, or how many stupid ass modules we do. Thats all noise.

See the patient, drop the bill, collect the money. This is how it works on the side you dont see why would you not be paid on this.

Every system has its issues. Assuming you have volume the RVU model is the best in my opinion. I have worked in a pure hourly with bonuses based solely on hours worked(Tons of issues), a mix of both where it was 50/50 and my current gig of 100% RVU based.

Probably because I am efficient I like the RVU model. It is slow, I go home, it is busy i just step up my pace.

I imagine 100% RVU would solve a lot of issues regarding people sitting around and not seeing a new patient for hours, or spending 30 minutes on a non emergent rash, which is what happebs at my shop.
 
I imagine 100% RVU would solve a lot of issues regarding people sitting around and not seeing a new patient for hours, or spending 30 minutes on a non emergent rash, which is what happebs at my shop.
I second Ectopic's love of pure productivity based employment. When I first started working at my shop, there was a guy who was very close to retirement who would see 1 PPH. I was always thrilled when I saw that he was the guy working with me because I knew I'd be making absolutely bank that shift.

If you want to slow down (within reason), you can as your colleagues don't get pissed. They simply take the money that otherwise could have been yours had you decided not to take a break. If you want to hustle, you can make a lot of money.
 
FWIW, there are plenty of reasons not to go to 100% RVU. I love it. You know what this is how the payers pay us. They dont pay us on Press Ganey, or how many stupid ass modules we do. Thats all noise.

See the patient, drop the bill, collect the money. This is how it works on the side you dont see why would you not be paid on this.

Every system has its issues. Assuming you have volume the RVU model is the best in my opinion. I have worked in a pure hourly with bonuses based solely on hours worked(Tons of issues), a mix of both where it was 50/50 and my current gig of 100% RVU based.

Probably because I am efficient I like the RVU model. It is slow, I go home, it is busy i just step up my pace.
How do you adjust for different payors? You may get anywhere from $0-$400 per visit based on the payor but you may not know that for months. I assume the group sets money aside for expenses or do you have to cover that yourself?
 
…so… not 100% RVU if the slow antisocial shifts are getting subsidized.
I mean, yes, that's technically correct but really just pedantry. We do the same thing as ectopic does in our shop. Every shift you keep what you kill minus a small "tax" for various things. If you work a proportionally correct number of night shifts, your night tax = 0. If you work a lot of nights, your tax is negative and if you work less than a fair share, your tax is positive. We've done the math so that anyone who works more nights (or is a nocturnist) is compensated for the average decrease in volume seen overnight, plus a little something to sweeten the pot for the inconvenience of working nights.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How do you adjust for different payors? You may get anywhere from $0-$400 per visit based on the payor but you may not know that for months. I assume the group sets money aside for expenses or do you have to cover that yourself?
I know this was directed at ectopic, but not sure what you mean. You don't adjust for different payors. You keep what you collect. It all averages out in the long run.

Not sure what you mean by setting money aside for expenses. Do you mean that when you see someone you don't get the money right away and thus how do you deal with that? In our case, you get paid when the money comes in, so there's usually a ~3 month lag between when you see someone and when you collect income from that visit. When someone first starts, we basically float them a salary that we know will be less than their collections and we use their excess collections - salary to pay it back over time. Once the amount we've floated = the excess they've collected, the excess then goes straight to the doc. The practice doesn't make any money off of new hires in this way, it's basically an interest free loan.
 
I don't know what Mount makes, but MGMA data for EM from 2021 showed:
Mean: 368074
Std dev: 98561
10th%: 267054
25th%: 316553
Median: 360771
75th%: 415034
90th%: 468342

I can't speak to the accuracy of these numbers, and it's worth noting that this is the survey for 2021. Data is coming from covid time with crap volume. 90th percentile for the only other MGMA sheet I have shows 90th percentile as being $504298. That's from 2019. (Mean was ~375k, median ~363k)

My gestalt is that the current data from 2023 (if anyone has it, I'd love to see it) would show numbers which are similar to, and possibly higher than 2019.
Fascinating info, thanks for sharing.
 
I do RV you at my shop, but you should be paid at least a base flat hourly. Because you have to show up to the shift regardless, if any patients show up or not, which is your time. Yes you get billed on the patients however, the ER needs to be staffed by a physician or you can’t bill at all because you’re not a hospital.
 
Last edited:
…so… not 100% RVU if the slow antisocial shifts are getting subsidized.
We handle those deals individually. I can pay you $500 to work my overnight and I get a non overnight in advance. But that’s fair. The only way true 100% no side deals works is if either the volumes are consistent or everyone works the same schedule.

For us everyone works the same schedule unless you work out a side deal.
 
We handle those deals individually. I can pay you $500 to work my overnight and I get a non overnight in advance. But that’s fair. The only way true 100% no side deals works is if either the volumes are consistent or everyone works the same schedule.

For us everyone works the same schedule unless you work out a side deal.


...and that's kind of my point. Pure RVU, in my mind, doesn't work. Neither does pure straight pay. There needs to be a floor, but also benefit for working hard and scraping up RVUs. Otherwise someone gets screwed.
 
This is a life mentality and not just work. There are always easier ways to do anything. Just sit back, clear your mind, and think of solutions. Many tend to wallow in the situation rather than try to fix it. Sometimes situations just can't be fixed no matter what so the choice becomes either to accept/move on or wallow in "woes me".

Just some examples from work
1. We were a SDG who had the DOS based meditech EMR. This is by far the worse and its all typing. I can type super fast but found that my days were miserable acting like a secretary. So I created about 100 templates that covered 99.9% of charts. I was going to type it anyhow, so I just typed it into an online storaged, copied and pasted after changing a few details. I averaged a completed chart in 2 minutes while other docs took about 7 minutes. 5x20ppd = 100 minutes. That is 100 minutes for me to make money, go drink coffee, leave the ER, surf the internet, etc. No one ever complained b/c I was a top 2 RVU producer and went home right on the dot 90% of the time. The other guy who was a top RVU producer stayed 1-3 hrs ever shift. In the long run, this messes with your mind and one reason why I never got burned out even after 15 yrs. Simple fix, and some docs copied me after I explained to them what to do. Others kept being a secretary. I almost never had a down chart either b/c my charts read like a novel.

2. Our specialist/hospitalists became super busy and the slow ones sometimes would take 1-2 hrs to call back. Docs would page, wait after their shift ended to leave bc they rightfully so didn't want to pass this on to the next doc. After a few times of this, I left my cell with the clerk/txt the hospitalists to call me b/c I am going home. No one ever complained and I saved myself countless days of staying back. An 8 hr shift vs a 10 hrs shift is a huge deal.

I can go on and on but I learned to "game" the system and was by far the most efficient doc in our group. When I started to do locums, I again became the most efficient doc regardless of EMR/environment. Nurses loved when I worked b/c I got people out which allows me great latitude to take a bunch of breaks, stop seeing pts 2 hrs before my shift ended, surf the internet. When you are the fastest/most efficient doc, no one cares what you do or leave the ER. Be the slowest doc and they will give you the evil eye if you leave the department.

I can go on and on but I see this in life all the time. The amount of time people take to do simple tasks astounds me. I go in and out, and ever extra minute I save is a minute I can go take a nap or be with my family. Learn this early and work/life frustrations will almost disappear.
I love these and wish you would go on and on - might be something I haven't thought of (or others) - I think this would be a very valuable contribution if you're willing to type it out (see what I did there 🙂)

Maybe a new thread...
 
How do you adjust for different payors? You may get anywhere from $0-$400 per visit based on the payor but you may not know that for months. I assume the group sets money aside for expenses or do you have to cover that yourself?
Expenses come off the top. It’s rvu based so payer doesn’t matter. It’s not a straight ffs model because of the issue you brought up. Would suck to code and do numerous procedured to ssve a life. Take 2 hours and get paid 0 while the other doc sees 10 week insured ankle sprains and makes 3k while u made 0. Also prevents cheating the game. When no one cares about payer mix that’s a win imo.
 
If volumes are too low this logic works. My Ed’s all see 100+ a day. So patients always show up. When they don’t you go home early. Win either way imo.
 
It works it’s just that you have to align what people want. Different people want different things. Early in my career I did all nights. More money. Now I work few nights. I need less money. Being totally restrictive about this hurts both parties. What people work out individually is up to them. We don’t police these deals. That being said 10% of the rvus get you 10% of payroll regardless of when you earn those rvus.

I’ll say 75% of our group don’t participate in the night deal (either side of it) and are true pure rvu.
 
This is a life mentality and not just work. …

I can go on and on but I see this in life all the time. The amount of time people take to do simple tasks astounds me.
I’m always amazed how some people always find a better, more efficient way to navigate life, while others always seem to find a way to make even the simplest tasks, complicated, frustrating and full of self-erected roadblocks.
 
Expenses come off the top. It’s rvu based so payer doesn’t matter. It’s not a straight ffs model because of the issue you brought up. Would suck to code and do numerous procedured to ssve a life. Take 2 hours and get paid 0 while the other doc sees 10 week insured ankle sprains and makes 3k while u made 0. Also prevents cheating the game. When no one cares about payer mix that’s a win imo.
But do you assume an average payment per visit as well as RVU per visit to get your $/RVU? I would imagine it isn't a true eat what you kill because reimbursements change every year. If you don't adjust what you pay per RVU then you'll find your business out of money. It sounds like you just try to project your collections and then based the $/RVU off of that.
 
Straight pay = regression to the weakest. Worse system if you want efficiency
Straight RVU = Docs will cherry pick, straight up fight for charts esp when slow. Imagine if you had a slow day with double coverage, it can make for an uncomfortable situation if one doc is signing up for everything. Docs can game the system. Imagine if a 20 yr old abd pain and 80 YO weak and dizzy comes in, guess which one will be picked up and the other left to wait. Similar RVUs but one is exceedingly more time consuming. This is better than straight pay.
Hybrid of above probably the best but I have no idea the optimal percent breakdown.
 
Straight pay = regression to the weakest. Worse system if you want efficiency
Straight RVU = Docs will cherry pick, straight up fight for charts esp when slow. Imagine if you had a slow day with double coverage, it can make for an uncomfortable situation if one doc is signing up for everything. Docs can game the system. Imagine if a 20 yr old abd pain and 80 YO weak and dizzy comes in, guess which one will be picked up and the other left to wait. Similar RVUs but one is exceedingly more time consuming. This is better than straight pay.
Hybrid of above probably the best but I have no idea the optimal percent breakdown.

Sign up on people as soon as they sign in this is the case in my shop. APPs do this to so that 20 year old may be a rape case so it’s hard to cherry pic
 
But do you assume an average payment per visit as well as RVU per visit to get your $/RVU? I would imagine it isn't a true eat what you kill because reimbursements change every year. If you don't adjust what you pay per RVU then you'll find your business out of money. It sounds like you just try to project your collections and then based the $/RVU off of that.
We do it as such.

I generate 7% of the rvus for my site for a time period. My group decided to do it quarterly.

So let’s assume the rvus I generate in q1 get paid in q2. As such if I generate 10% of the rvus in q1 I’ll get paid 10% of collections after expenses for each month in q2 since we only get paid once per month.

Put another way we generate 500k in a month in revenues after expenses and my pay check would be 50k (minus personal expenses like retirement). The next month we collect 600k so my pay would be 60k.

Hope this makes sense and alleviates the issues you mention. It’s not perfect but no one complains.
 
Straight pay = regression to the weakest. Worse system if you want efficiency
Straight RVU = Docs will cherry pick, straight up fight for charts esp when slow. Imagine if you had a slow day with double coverage, it can make for an uncomfortable situation if one doc is signing up for everything. Docs can game the system. Imagine if a 20 yr old abd pain and 80 YO weak and dizzy comes in, guess which one will be picked up and the other left to wait. Similar RVUs but one is exceedingly more time consuming. This is better than straight pay.
Hybrid of above probably the best but I have no idea the optimal percent breakdown.
Straight rvu has issues. The real problem is as you identified. When slow we alternate. However as mentioned when I work with a slow doc I’m happy. The hybrid can bring out the worst of both. There is no perfect answer imo.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Narrow sighted. That partnership track isn't much different from what I went through. I made hour for my partnership track. I have now made 90th+ percentile EM income for years as a partner. I don't think it's a unicorn even if it's close. You wouldn't realize that based upon our pre-partnership track though. We're hiring. Not listing on this site, but our information is out there. You'll have to give sweat equity too. It's totally worth it.

Undesirable geography? Even if not, I personally wouldn’t trust an SDG not to sell out to private equity at this point.

You’re still ripping off your new hires with the “sweat equity” bull$hit. You’re not really an SDG. You’re a partner in a two-tiered ER practice.
 
And the differential is significant when a SDG pays $250-400/hour as partner while local CMGs pay $125-225/hour. Your 2-3 year partnership money loss is quickly recouped.

Big difference $250-400 so which is it? $250 isnt that hard to clear without being raped by the SDG owner-czars. I know of several well functioning groups where all providers range $300-330 from day 1 without having to put money in your (SDG partner) pocket. They certainly don’t advertise though.

SDG isn’t necessarily the holy grail if it’s still a two-tiered pyramid scheme, and the risks are higher than ever (of losing contract). At least in a CMG you know the rules of engagement (even if bad). Many CMGs have the numbers in a black box while they feast on new grads to keep the premium $$$ coming in for the greedy partners and they can devastate the non partners mere weeks before their “partnership track” is up under dubious circumstances.
 
Undesirable geography? Even if not, I personally wouldn’t trust an SDG not to sell out to private equity at this point.

You’re still ripping off your new hires with the “sweat equity” bull$hit. You’re not really an SDG. You’re a partner in a two-tiered ER practice.
Partners in a practice work to make it a functional business. Do you think some new hire should just come on day 1 and be a total equal? A full partner?

What would happen if that doc was a disruptive prick, someone who does nothing. We could all imagine a some of the worst quality of docs we have ever worked with and say do I want to marry this person and be stuck with them for their career?

I dont know of any business (lets call this what it is) that the new guy with most likely 0 experience just comes in and is an equal to the boss/owner.
 
Big difference $250-400 so which is it? $250 isnt that hard to clear without being raped by the SDG owner-czars. I know of several well functioning groups where all providers range $300-330 from day 1 without having to put money in your (SDG partner) pocket. They certainly don’t advertise though.

SDG isn’t necessarily the holy grail if it’s still a two-tiered pyramid scheme, and the risks are higher than ever (of losing contract). At least in a CMG you know the rules of engagement (even if bad). Many CMGs have the numbers in a black box while they feast on new grads to keep the premium $$$ coming in for the greedy partners and they can devastate the non partners mere weeks before their “partnership track” is up under dubious circumstances.
Agreed. You can find a gig for 300/hr in certain geographic regions. I also know in hawaii finding 200/hr takes an act of god. IMO SDG quality is a function of whats around you. my first job out of residency i made roughly 1/4 of what the partners made. It pissed me off. That being said once i became a partner i made 2x what the local cmgs were paying in a nice system where work was pretty easy and straightforward.

Note there are tiers in everything including some CMGs. For the CMGs you are nothing but a med mal sponge and a billing widget. Now there is nothing wrong with that if thats what you want your career to look like and i think in EM there is nothing wrong with that with the often generous time we can allocate to other interests/business. If you plan to do this for 150/160 hours a month thats a major mistake IMO.

One other nugget ill put out there, most of the SDGs that wanted to sell have already sold the top of the EM market was about 5-7 years ago. I think USACS is still buying with you taking at least 30% of your sale price in their trash stock and TH is looking to buy at a stupid discount. Essentially TH is bargain shopping to see which groups are desperate. USACS doesnt want to give up cash so you get 50-70% of your sale price in actual money the rest in stock you cant sell.

I think most (not all) of the predatory SDGs have sold and are out of the market. Most of the ones left are relatively fair when you look at what else is out there in the market.

Some SDGs are doing quite well even without scraping off the back of anyone else, some have to use an army of MLPs to keep their pay up high. Others surely do it by churning their new docs.

You do have to be smart. As I tell those who i counsel how many partners have left to work another EM job for any reason. IMO the highest paying jobs fully put the partners in golden handcuffs. People dont leave for another EM job for any reason. My prior group was like this. I was there 6 years, we had 40 partners. 0 of the 40 ever left to work in another ED.

Then once the long term looks promising, who are their hires, what happened to them and why? Many people in the beginning of their career will move. Ask to talk to the last 3 people who left, when you talk to them ask who else they knew that left and ask for a connection if the list is different than what the group gave you. You must do your due diligence.

Starting your career it is important you know what you are getting into and the people who quit are the best ones to give you an unfiltered take on whats going on.

In this and many other forums when a person leaves it is often portrayed as the SDG screwed them. My guess is thats true 75% of the time. About 25% of the time this was a doc who didnt know how to behave, was late to work, was disruptive, felt they were more special than everyone else. These entitled people exist. Again, we have all worked with some version of this person. Desperate sites will allow these people to erode the culture. Better jobs will push them out or simply ask them to leave / force them to go elsewhere.

Take this for what it is worth. I have no horse in this race.