This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

csulapredental

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yoooooo can someone please give me an easy way of telling if somethings polar or non polar. I'm sick of drawing these lewis each time and checking for symmetry and dipole and all that.. i know theres trick.. like if s is a central atom its polar? yea? no? idk. help! :(((((

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know there aren't really any tricks - you basically draw Lewis structures so much that you end up remembering some things - ex: a lot of questions involve asking if CO2 is polar, you know from experience that its not and therefore wouldn't need the structure. But at least as far as I know you draw the Lewis structures. Try practicing a couple to get your speed up!

If it has a lone pair typically it will be polar i.e. H2o the O has lone pair NH3 the N has a lone pair there contains a dipole ...

Members don't see this ad :)
What S? Sulfur is in the same group as Oxygen typically acts in the same manner as oxygen

Guys, go through your textbook on this if you're still unsure about this topic. There's no better place to solidify your weakest link.

Reactions: 1 user
Best case just draw them out might take more time but worth the points .... anyways drawing the structure may help you to remember which ones are/n't polar

when you guys say look at symmetry r
Best case just draw them out might take more time but worth the points .... anyways drawing the structure may help you to remember which ones are/n't polar

when you say look at symettry right.. do you mean just the shape or does it matter whats coming off. like if i have a c with 4 different things coming off the shape is symmetrical i can cut in half but the things on it are all different.. so that means no symmetry?

when you guys say look at symmetry r

when you say look at symettry right.. do you mean just the shape or does it matter whats coming off. like if i have a c with 4 different things coming off the shape is symmetrical i can cut in half but the things on it are all different.. so that means no symmetry?
this should explain better than a forum can:

i burned my textbook after i finished ochem2

Then get it from a used book center. Half price book stores should get you some great deals for maybe like 5 or 10 bucks. Sometimes free if there are some older editions discarded in their bins.