This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsta2304

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have decided to take the DAT during this coming winter break. Just wondering if one month is sufficient? I will be taking 15 hours during the fall so I won't have that much time to study during the semester. I will be applying next cycle. Do you guys recommend Chads videos, dat bootcamp, and dat destroyer or Kaplan's online course for that sole month? I'm pretty deligent so I'll most likely spend 8+ hours/day monday-friday studying during the break. My goal would be to take the exam one or two weeks into the spring semester, so i'll be able to focus on my school load the rest of the semester. ANY HELP OR COMMENTS ARE APPRECIATED!!!! I was originally going to do kaplan now, and self study during the whole break, and take the exam. But I hear kaplan is too expensive, which i agree when i could just study on my own. My biggest thing is: what do i do when i encounter something i just do not understand? How did you guys go about it!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I have decided to take the DAT during this coming winter break. Just wondering if one month is sufficient? I will be taking 15 hours during the fall so I won't have that much time to study during the semester. I will be applying next cycle. Do you guys recommend Chads videos, dat bootcamp, and dat destroyer or Kaplan's online course for that sole month? I'm pretty deligent so I'll most likely spend 8+ hours/day monday-friday studying during the break. My goal would be to take the exam one or two weeks into the spring semester, so i'll be able to focus on my school load the rest of the semester. ANY HELP OR COMMENTS ARE APPRECIATED!!!! I was originally going to do kaplan now, and self study during the whole break, and take the exam. But I hear kaplan is too expensive, which i agree when i could just study on my own. My biggest thing is: what do i do when i encounter something i just do not understand? How did you guys go about it!
Are you a strong student? Have you completed the required classes? What is your current science GPA? and from What university? A lot depends on your foundation, some students require more study time than others.

Self studying with the right materials is much better (and cheaper) option than taking a course like Kaplan. As for one month being sufficient, that's going to depend a lot on your current foundation. How well did you do in your undergrad classes and how much of it would you say you've retained? I would personally try to plan it out with a little more time, and if you find you're pretty well prepared in the first few weeks then you can always re-schedule your exam for an earlier date.

When I encountered something I didn't understand, I always looked at the same concept from multiple other resources (including online, Youtube, etc.) - eventually you find a source that works well with your learning style.

Some students need the structure of Kaplan or other test prep company courses I know this from experience from working with students for over 25 years. We have many students who attend our course after struggling on their own and not getting the scores they need for acceptance into dental school. My experience with Kaplan has alway been great and it has helped many students.

Just my 2 cents..

This is a question that is debated among many students and professors. Although I am a huge fan of the Klein text.....he is only partially correct. Here are the facts......If the epoxide has 2 R groups on it...lets assume BOTH are methyl for discussion. This is a slam dunk....in base....attack the less substituted carbon since it is the easier path. In acid....we attack the more substituted carbon because the reaction mechanism involves what I call a " quasi- carbocation "......it is like a carbocation......but not exactly formed. Charges develop in the transition state. The bond is easier to break when the positive charge is on the more substituted carbon. Klein....McMurray......Jones,,,,Wade.... Bruice......Smith.....and myself all agree. Now the part that authors disagree. What if only one group is on the carbon ...such as a methyl ? I have personally done this in lab at NYU since I took a big interest on getting to the bottom of this damn mess. You are not going to like this....nor will David Klein. The results were MIXED !!!! Sometimes in acid it went to the less substituted carbon......Yay for Klein and McMurray..... now we change the nucleophile from say Cl- to CH3O- and it went to the most substituted carbon.....Yay for me, Jones, Wade, Bruice and Smith. Thus as you can see.....the results will depend on factors such as steric bulk, solvent, and nucleophile strength. Where does this leave us ? For the DAT exam......hopefully they will give a carbon with 2 R groups....if not.....Use the rule by Maitland Jones, Jr....Professor Emeritus of Princeton University and good friend of mine ....In acid...Hit the MOST substituted carbon......in Base hit the least substituted question. I hope this gives you the answer you seek. Sometimes in science, there is no clear rule. Best of luck and hope this helps.