DAT Qvualt RC compared to the real thing??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatisit350

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so RC is easily my worst subject. I recently bought the DAT Qvault RC and do a passage with questions a day. I'm doing ok on there, but I wanted to see if anyone had an opinion on how similar or different that was from the real thing. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

not sure,

would suggest to use dat bootcamp for RC its very solid

Reactions: 1 user
not sure,

would suggest to use dat bootcamp for RC its very solid
cool thanks man. I have BC already but was looking for something that I could use as a daily practice. BC has its 5 practice tests, which I intend to do closer to my actual test. But I'll definitely keep that in mind

cool thanks man. I have BC already but was looking for something that I could use as a daily practice. BC has its 5 practice tests, which I intend to do closer to my actual test. But I'll definitely keep that in mind

have you thought about getting DAT genius?

Members don't see this ad :)
have you thought about getting DAT genius?
I haven't done too much research on that resource. I've looked at a lot of them, but thats one that I don't know too much about. Do they sell individual subjects? Or is it a comprehensive thing? And more importantly, how does it compare to the real test?

I haven't done too much research on that resource. I've looked at a lot of them, but thats one that I don't know too much about. Do they sell individual subjects? Or is it a comprehensive thing? And more importantly, how does it compare to the real test?
I can't speak for how it compares to the real test but I do know Ari recommends it to supplement the Bootcamp tests right in his schedule/list of required materials. I'm sure if he'd recommend it, the tests must be comparable to Bootcamp's, and those are obviously pretty popular. I am beginning studying this week (test date late May) so I haven't taken a practice test from either yet, but I have purchased both Bootcamp and Genius.

Awesome, thanks dude. Yes, I asked Ari directly through bootcamp, and he recommended DAT genius as well. I'll probably end up getting that. I guess I was more or less trying to see how well the resource I already have (qvault) stacked up to the real thing, or if anyone had any opinions on that.

I felt like QVault RC was probably a bit easy, but relatively on point. I took three QVault tests, and got a 24, 26, and 22. My score on the actual was a 25, so pretty close. My scores on Bootcamp were lower, so don't panic if you struggle with those!

I felt like QVault RC was probably a bit easy, but relatively on point. I took three QVault tests, and got a 24, 26, and 22. My score on the actual was a 25, so pretty close. My scores on Bootcamp were lower, so don't panic if you struggle with those!
Cool! I appreciate the input. Sounds like it's fairly accurate. How would you compare the amount of recall, and tone questions? And just to clarify, those are your RC scores right?

I remember almost all of them being recall. Which was good because most of the my exam was recall. Yep, those were my RC scores.

i think many people stress out over reading more than is really necessary. Just read SA articles everyday about 1-3. understand the tone and the authors opinions (how they feel about the topic etc.) on the exam, read 1/2 the passage then start answering. read the rest when you can no longer answers questions. this will save you SO much time and get your ready for the QR section

I remember almost all of them being recall. Which was good because most of the my exam was recall. Yep, those were my RC scores.
That is excellent news. And excellent scores lol. Would you mind sharing what year you took your exam? If I'm not mistaken, they made some changes after 2015.. I'm not exactly sure what those changes were though, or if they even affected the RC portion.

i think many people stress out over reading more than is really necessary. Just read SA articles everyday about 1-3. understand the tone and the authors opinions (how they feel about the topic etc.) on the exam, read 1/2 the passage then start answering. read the rest when you can no longer answers questions. this will save you SO much time and get your ready for the QR section
Thanks bro. I think you're right about that strategy. I've been implementing that in my recent RC practice, and came out decently. Actually, I probably read the first half, then answer as many questions. After that, it's kind of a mix between reading the rest and search and destroy. That's kind of why I like doing a passage with questions per day. It allows me multiple chances to play around with different strategies, and show me what pace I need to be moving at, as well as how to tackle questions. I prefer this to just reading 1-3 SA articles because for me, I'll just sit there and read it without any reference to time.
Also, I hear what you're saying about stressing over this section. It's just that I've been notorious my entire life at sucking at RC. I sucked at it in SAT, GRE, and my first attempt at the DAT (this is round 2). lol, I'm just trying to get some accurate practice in so that way I have the best chance at any improvement. And I'd really like to not suck this time. But maybe I won't do a passage a day. Maybe I'll tone it down to like once every 3 days. Or just see what works. Thanks again for the advice. Any and all is welcomed. :)

Thanks bro. I think you're right about that strategy. I've been implementing that in my recent RC practice, and came out decently. Actually, I probably read the first half, then answer as many questions. After that, it's kind of a mix between reading the rest and search and destroy. That's kind of why I like doing a passage with questions per day. It allows me multiple chances to play around with different strategies, and show me what pace I need to be moving at, as well as how to tackle questions. I prefer this to just reading 1-3 SA articles because for me, I'll just sit there and read it without any reference to time.
Also, I hear what you're saying about stressing over this section. It's just that I've been notorious my entire life at sucking at RC. I sucked at it in SAT, GRE, and my first attempt at the DAT (this is round 2). lol, I'm just trying to get some accurate practice in so that way I have the best chance at any improvement. And I'd really like to not suck this time. But maybe I won't do a passage a day. Maybe I'll tone it down to like once every 3 days. Or just see what works. Thanks again for the advice. Any and all is welcomed. :)
reading was my worst section on the SAT. i got a 500 something it wasn't good!. Honestly, i felt like i studied for reading less on the DAT than the SAT and I felt the questions were much easier than the SAT.

I would read SA articles though because you could be asked on anything and SA has a good mix of articles. Its just a little practice but i think it definitely helped me since there isnt a dat destoyer for the rc section. it sounds silly but just practicing reading everyday will help so much in the long run on the dat. thats why i made it a part of my daily regimen

Reactions: 1 users
reading was my worst section on the SAT. i got a 500 something it wasn't good!. Honestly, i felt like i studied for reading less on the DAT than the SAT and I felt the questions were much easier than the SAT.

I would read SA articles though because you could be asked on anything and SA has a good mix of articles. Its just a little practice but i think it definitely helped me since there isnt a dat destoyer for the rc section. it sounds silly but just practicing reading everyday will help so much in the long run on the dat. thats why i made it a part of my daily regimen
Yea, I agree with you on that. Small daily habits can lead to great results in the long run. Currently I do 30 min of PAT/day (mimicking Feralis), and I guess I'll do like 3 days of 1 SA article, and then 1 day RC passage. SA does have some pretty interesting articles, so it won't be that bad.
Oh yea, I think I got like a 500 on the SAT as well. Wasn't pretty. And from the actual score you gave, sounds like we took the same version of it (i know they changed the scoring system sometime after I took it.) Thanks again, and who knows, maybe I'll get really lucky and pull some scores similar to yours, haha.

That is excellent news. And excellent scores lol. Would you mind sharing what year you took your exam? If I'm not mistaken, they made some changes after 2015.. I'm not exactly sure what those changes were though, or if they even affected the RC portion.
Hah, thanks! I took it on July 7, 2016.

I guess every version of the DAT is different, but my version was more like Qvault than Bootcamp.

My real score ended up being 4 points higher than my highest bootcamp score

Reactions: 1 users
I guess every version of the DAT is different, but my version was more like Qvault than Bootcamp.

My real score ended up being 4 points higher than my highest bootcamp score
Yea, from what I've read, there are several versions of the test. Nonetheless, if your actual score has to be different than your practice scores, I'd much rather it be higher. lol good job!

Qvault's RC was pretty similar to the real thing, but Bootcamp's was easily the closest in terms of both passage style and question types.
Cool! Thanks for this, and that's good to hear. I have both sources and intend to fully use both.
Actually, I posted on your break down recently; not sure if you saw it. I read somewhere on here that for QR you watched Chads videos and supplemented those with Khans Academy for a couple of areas that Chads lacked in. I think it was like probability or something?? Do you remember what those were? I'm watching Chads QR videos now.
Also, thanks so much for your breakdown, YOUR NOTES, and all the advice you give in this community.You're a hero lol.

Cool! Thanks for this, and that's good to hear. I have both sources and intend to fully use both.
Actually, I posted on your break down recently; not sure if you saw it. I read somewhere on here that for QR you watched Chads videos and supplemented those with Khans Academy for a couple of areas that Chads lacked in. I think it was like probability or something?? Do you remember what those were? I'm watching Chads QR videos now.
Also, thanks so much for your breakdown, YOUR NOTES, and all the advice you give in this community.You're a hero lol.

I used Khan Academy on my QR content review for anything related to probability, statistics, and trigonometry (use the Subjects --> Math by subject header on Khan academy). At some point those videos will start to go into more detail on the subject than you'll need to know for the test, though. I think everything else was covered sufficiently by Chad's videos, you just need to practice to improve.

Happy to help!

I used Khan Academy on my QR content review for anything related to probability, statistics, and trigonometry (use the Subjects --> Math by subject header on Khan academy). At some point those videos will start to go into more detail on the subject than you'll need to know for the test, though. I think everything else was covered sufficiently by Chad's videos, you just need to practice to improve.

Happy to help!
Awesome, thanks a lot. I'll be sure to check those out