This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eep27

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been lurking for quite some time now and decided I needed some advice and peace of mind on my ideas for the DAT prep, since I've already seen some amazing support system on other posts!

I currently have a 4.0 GPA (including Chem 1&2, Ochem 1&2, Bio 1&2, Biochem, Anatomy & Physio. 1, Cell bio, Organismic bio 1&2, Genetics).

My plan: This year we have a longer winter break, giving me at least 6 whole weeks of studying. I'll plan out a detailed schedule once I finalize this plan. Spring semester will begin Jan 22, so I'll take the DAT end of Jan/beginning of Feb.
I'll for sure use Cliff's AP Bio, DAT Destroyer, Chad's. I'd love some advice on what else to use to cover the entirety of subjects. I also have a bunch of other materials from dental friends (attached image).

mBryGrGoSVEupjjAgVwcvK2qkW_U6IPeFD4v4v_zVseSxb-kaqGTUfRpoTZILa-LlxzWcJubSN0ga1VXNacXhbOJLwbaPqI5Yiw-MvvHZ2QHXvyU_i6mlWKoP041JrLo5P9YSM0xuHVZXwbt714WicMQiDfzV1PJW_Xr304ZA_OFeJxHXyDDmPdge5om4Na-l8Nv1KQkkdDnndQOOofdZGRMgfSQ-MTidPXGhq42vrDhne4jJc0F5mGcAvW-mS5_EQQDNwIJNu3xHv3SnYSY71tvhk92zfifYVMzWunloW7sRYROJk4FdKZOp9JoqpfFWM_7n2vORvtvTU_pbWcKjcXdBN7KOHPolckjy_w8kHImIZoSWqDtn_sSDQbBPRxdpMYtr1EHbM9DjOoqE9GqFKSI5FlrS6v1-RxwEe5O0oaL8qjc0G5bYstcWjgsXtj5hi6rMjsQi8d9HDh2yMWv-W_JagtHktVXSeGqOMtQxX3_SnQH4s-ezC1M10uTLMu-AFeoxoD2T29_GYCmCcyeeV2H3grtuJw4_EsR8-VFzu0MtAUwcR0vP7c6NR7prV5ThCxoVKtCmpxTDKwBayJ3GhqO2Nr4VGM2w1duO2xelBE=w1224-h918-no

Not sure how useful these are though (besides the Kaplan one that's by itself on the far right end).

My reasoning: I want to submit my app as soon as I can when it opens June 1st, and also want to give myself room to retake - hopefully there'll be no need for that. I know I'll have almost all of this break to study, and my spring semester will be full with research so I don't want to study then. I don't want to wait till after the semester is over because that would mean waiting till after May 20th. That doesn't give me enough studying time to submit around June 1st. I already have the DAT destroyer and will have the Cliff's soon.

Also, I want to make a decently competitive score, and I understand that it's not impossible, just requires a lot of time and effort. So this break would allow me to focus on that solely.

What feedback do you guys have?

Members don't see this ad.

Off the top of my head, that's a lot of textbooks, and most of them are limited in usefulness compared to most resources available today. Try not to use too many resources - stick to a few core ones that are comprehensive and it will be easier to manage studying. It seems like you're a pretty good student and your coursework is recent, so I think 6 weeks over break is enough time to do well on the exam.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with Feralis; that is a lot of books. I’m sure you can use them for quick review closer to your actual test date, but I’d stick to fewer materials when “learning” the material. Starting to study is overwhelming enough and I’d imagine that having a ton of books to look through will complicate things a bit more than necessary.

Off the top of my head, that's a lot of textbooks, and most of them are limited in usefulness compared to most resources available today. Try not to use too many resources - stick to a few core ones that are comprehensive and it will be easier to manage studying. It seems like you're a pretty good student and your coursework is recent, so I think 6 weeks over break is enough time to do well on the exam.

That's what I thought so too, I'll stick to Cliff's, DAT Destroyer, and either Kaplan's or Barron's for the science material studying. Yes, my sciences are all recent, I'll just have to work a little more on ochem because that was done last year. Is Chad's good to use for both chem and ochem?

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Feralis; that is a lot of books. I’m sure you can use them for quick review closer to your actual test date, but I’d stick to fewer materials when “learning” the material. Starting to study is overwhelming enough and I’d imagine that having a ton of books to look through will complicate things a bit more than necessary.

Gotcha. A lot of the material is "older" (around 2008) so I might skip those and use them for simply practice/filling in gaps where I need even more reinforcement. You're right, even thinking about the studying schedule is overwhelming so I don't want to stretch myself thin over too many books.

That's what I thought so too, I'll stick to Cliff's, DAT Destroyer, and either Kaplan's or Barron's for the science material studying. Yes, my sciences are all recent, I'll just have to work a little more on ochem because that was done last year. Is Chad's good to use for both chem and ochem?
Chad's, Destroyer, and Bootcamp was sufficient enough for me for both chemistries.

I know things are starting to wind down in terms of your break but I thought I should give my two cents! Trying to fit everything into 6 weeks is definitely possible, but I also think you should be wary about not overworking yourself (you are on a break)! Just make sure you don't try to cram in a bunch of information because then you might not be able to remember some easy concepts on the real thing. For biology, I highly recommend Destroyer and Feralis' notes, For chem you should be fine with Destroyer and Chad's videos. By far the best practice for the DAT is Bootcamp, but I feel like it's mostly useful when you have a lot more time. Good luck with the rest of your studying, if you need any more advice feel free to message me!

Reactions: 1 user
I know things are starting to wind down in terms of your break but I thought I should give my two cents! Trying to fit everything into 6 weeks is definitely possible, but I also think you should be wary about not overworking yourself (you are on a break)! Just make sure you don't try to cram in a bunch of information because then you might not be able to remember some easy concepts on the real thing. For biology, I highly recommend Destroyer and Feralis' notes, For chem you should be fine with Destroyer and Chad's videos. By far the best practice for the DAT is Bootcamp, but I feel like it's mostly useful when you have a lot more time. Good luck with the rest of your studying, if you need any more advice feel free to message me!

I've definitely given myself some days off throughout to break so I don't burn out! I decided to push back my test date a couple of weeks into start of March (instead of planned second week of February). Right now I'm finishing up taking down notes from Chad's from Chem and Ochem and doing Bio with Feralis (and Cliff's if I need more info); and I have the Destroyer for OChem+Chem+Bio+QR. I just don't enjoy gen chem so I know that will require extra focus on my part. I love the PAT practice on Bootcamp. I have yet to do their practice exams (waiting until I finish studying the science through once).