DATBOOTCAP BIO and QVAULT BIO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fdat94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys,
I feel like I suck at bio, no matter how much I read and study either I forget or I just don't know the terms.
How difficult is the DAT bio section on the real exam? Is it as specific and random, what kind of questions should I except. I've read on here that bootcamp is on par with the actual, the only bad thing about bootcamp is that it recycles questions, and I know the answers..therefore I score like 21/22 ish. On Qqvault I scored 18's and 16's :( I am at 3 weeks left and really nervous,

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Guys,
I feel like I suck at bio, no matter how much I read and study either I forget or I just don't know the terms.
How difficult is the DAT bio section on the real exam? Is it as specific and random, what kind of questions should I except. I've read on here that bootcamp is on par with the actual, the only bad thing about bootcamp is that it recycles questions, and I know the answers..therefore I score like 21/22 ish. On Qqvault I scored 18's and 16's :( I am at 3 weeks left and really nervous,
Well definitely do not continue to go through Bootcamp multiple times, it's not meant to really be used like that. Ideally, you should only really go through each test twice, once early in your studies and once again the week or so leading up to your exam in a full-length exam setting. Study the questions you got wrong and also the ones you got right but were unsure about.

To me, it sounds like your foundation is weak. Have you read AP Cliff's or Feralis? If not, go through it religiously for the next week and make sure you UNDERSTAND the concepts. If you already have read it, you must not have retained much so go through it again. Remember, UNDERSTAND the material. Review the questions you were getting wrong on qVault also, and perhaps hold off taking any exams until you reread Cliff's/Feralis. If you have Destroyer, also go through the Bio section on that. You will get a ton wrong, but you're SUPPOSED to get a lot wrong... Understand the explanations and try to fit it into the BIGGER picture.

Most importantly: stay CALM. You still have 3 weeks until your exam, that is PLENTY of time. Good luck.

Well definitely do not continue to go through Bootcamp multiple times, it's not meant to really be used like that. Ideally, you should only really go through each test twice, once early in your studies and once again the week or so leading up to your exam in a full-length exam setting. Study the questions you got wrong and also the ones you got right but were unsure about.

To me, it sounds like your foundation is weak. Have you read AP Cliff's or Feralis? If not, go through it religiously for the next week and make sure you UNDERSTAND the concepts. If you already have read it, you must not have retained much so go through it again. Remember, UNDERSTAND the material. Review the questions you were getting wrong on qVault also, and perhaps hold off taking any exams until you reread Cliff's/Feralis. If you have Destroyer, also go through the Bio section on that. You will get a ton wrong, but you're SUPPOSED to get a lot wrong... Understand the explanations and try to fit it into the BIGGER picture.

Most importantly: stay CALM. You still have 3 weeks until your exam, that is PLENTY of time. Good luck.

Ive gone through CLiff's and Feralis about once, I don't know maybe I'm just nervous.
I just want to know the difficulty of the bio exam :/

Ive gone through CLiff's and Feralis about once, I don't know maybe I'm just nervous.
I just want to know the difficulty of the bio exam :/
You don't get a 16/18 in qVault Bio because you're nervous, you get it because you may be unprepared. You are nervous because you may be unprepared. If you go through your resources again it will prove dividends. The rule of thumb is this: the actual DAT may be as difficult as Bootcamp exams, but it won't be any more difficult.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't get a 16/18 in qVault Bio because you're nervous, you get it because you may be unprepared. If you go through your resources again it will prove dividends. The rule of thumb is this: the actual DAT may be as difficult as Bootcamp exams, but it won't be any more difficult.
Do you recommend just reading through cliff's and understanding the material? Rather than taking deep notes, cause I tried doing that and it took up too much time.

Do you recommend just reading through cliff's and understanding the material? Rather than taking deep notes, cause I tried doing that and it took up too much time.
I agree, there is just too much information. I was the same way in undergrad, my study technique was never the sort of where I sit and transcribe the textbook... It may work for some, but more often than not you're not actually learning anything.

What I suggest is this: read through a chapter and do not take any notes or anything. Just read it and think about it. Then go back to concepts which were confusing and try to unravel them. What I usually do is I would throw concepts/terms on a whiteboard (if you have one) or a piece of paper and try to relate things to each other. Connecting concepts to completely unrelated things from other chapters will help you solidify the info by fitting them into the BIGGER picture... Lots of arrows, scribbling, etc.

Lastly, do not tread over the details. This exam is BREADTH over DEPTH. That's why it is more important to understand the basic overlying principles than taking notes and memorizing random bs.

EDIT: Also try to identify areas where you are weak and focus on them. For example, I suck at taxonomy but I have a pretty good understanding of molecular/cellular processes. So I tend to go through Feralis' taxonomy chapter a bunch.

I agree, there is just too much information. I was the same way in undergrad, my study technique was never the sort of where I sit and transcribe the textbook... It may work for some, but more often than not you're not actually learning anything.

What I suggest is this: read through a chapter and do not take any notes or anything. Just read it and think about it. Then go back to concepts which were confusing and try to unravel them. What I usually do is I would throw concepts/terms on a whiteboard (if you have one) or a piece of paper and try to relate things to each other. Connecting concepts to completely unrelated things from other chapters will help you solidify the info by fitting them into the BIGGER picture... Lots of arrows, scribbling, etc.

Lastly, do not tread over the details. This exam is BREADTH over DEPTH. That's why it is more important to understand the basic overlying principles than taking notes and memorizing random bs.

Yeah, thanks for that

How prepared did you feel for the exam?

Yeah, thanks for that

How prepared did you feel for the exam?
I actually haven't taken it yet, LOL. So yeah, take my suggestions with a grain of salt, but everything I mentioned above worked really well in undergrad and it also reflects in my high BC scores. It is also advice gathered from friends taking the DAT for the past 3 years or so... I take the exam in a month but I feel pretty prepared. Probably feel the least prepared in Bio since there is so much info... It is almost impossible to feel completely prepared for that section.

I actually haven't taken it yet, LOL. So yeah, take my suggestions with a grain of salt, but everything I mentioned above worked really well in undergrad and it also reflects in my high BC scores. I take the exam in a month but I feel pretty prepared. Probably feel the least prepared in Bio since there is so much info... It is almost impossible to feel completely prepared for that section.
I dont know how it feels to be prepared you know :(
I am doing very well on ochem, gen gem i am alright, bio i have to get there, pat ive gotten 20's on the ada tests and cdp, reading i havent even attempted and math im getting like 16 17's

Qvault bio is seriously on par with the real exam. Utilize it. Go over your saved questions every day. Also, why have you already done the ADA tests?? They should be taken 2-4 days out from test day as they are the most accurate representation of how you will do (2009 especially).

Qvault bio is seriously on par with the real exam. Utilize it. Go over your saved questions every day. Also, why have you already done the ADA tests?? They should be taken 2-4 days out from test day as they are the most accurate representation of how you will do (2009 especially).
Wow then I am kind of screwed :")

Wow then I am kind of screwed :")

Search for a dat book at your local public library or your campus library. They might have kaplan's, cracking the dat or barron's dat. They have good bio info for those who aren't good at bio. It can serve as a base for harder material like feralis, destroyer etc.