Dating in Med School for AAs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ahhh you're making me jealous. I guess a lot of the 4th year students will go to Magic City as a treat, eh?

My alma mater is in Atlanta and I would love to party like a rockstar in Atlanta. Man, they need to do one in Miami or Cali soon ^_^

That is quite possible. Opera on Thursday, Compound on Saturday, and Velvet on Sunday would be a weekend.

Members don't see this ad.

It's going to be AMAZING, especially if the 4th year students got their number one MATCH. When are the Match results coming out again or did it already passed?
I would love to do residency in someplace like ATL lol

Members don't see this ad :)
It's going to be AMAZING, especially if the 4th year students got their number one MATCH. When are the Match results coming out again or did it already passed?

March 16th so SNMA is only a couple weeks later

I would love to do residency in someplace like ATL lol

Emory has some pretty strong residency programs so that wouldn't be a bad look at all.

Location ends up being big for a lot of people when making rank lists. Hell I didn't even apply to some places I knew I would never go like Mayo.

March 16th so SNMA is only a couple weeks later

Emory has some pretty strong residency programs so that wouldn't be a bad look at all.

Location ends up being big for a lot of people when making rank lists. Hell I didn't even apply to some places I knew I would never go like Mayo.

SNMA Conference is in April ^_^.

Dang, I thought you are suppose to apply any and everywhere because it is so competitive. What did you apply for though?

SNMA Conference is in April ^_^.

Dang, I thought you are suppose to apply any and everywhere because it is so competitive. What did you apply for though?

It really depends on what you're going for and how competitive you are.

I applied to radiology. Most people apply to between 35 and 60 programs. I did 45. I was a relatively strong applicant as well.

Something like Derm most people apply to every program.

If you are doing something less competitive like medicine or FM some people apply to as few as 20, 25.

It really depends on what you're going for and how competitive you are.

I applied to radiology. Most people apply to between 35 and 60 programs. I did 45. I was a relatively strong applicant as well.

Something like Derm most people apply to every program.

If you are doing something less competitive like medicine or FM some people apply to as few as 20, 25.

That's great and do they have like a fee waiver or something for residency applications. Also, how far in advance did you know that you were interested in Radiology because I am actually interested in Derm? 45 programs! Wow, that is a lot! Did you take a year off to do a research fellowship like Doris Duke or something and what region of the country do you want to work in? NE? Mid-West? Dirty South? West-Side?

That's great and do they have like a fee waiver or something for residency applications. Also, how far in advance did you know that you were interested in Radiology because I am actually interested in Derm? 45 programs! Wow, that is a lot! Did you take a year off to do a research fellowship like Doris Duke or something and what region of the country do you want to work in? NE? Mid-West? Dirty South? West-Side?

45 isn't that much compared to my friends applying to ortho (80+) and derm (100+).
I have no idea if fee waivers exist I just budgeted in the cost (interviewing is much more expensive than applying unless you stick to one region where you can drive to all of them and/or don't use hotels) to the loans. I think I spent around 900 applying and 5-7K interviewing, maybe more.

I didn't settle on radiology until 3rd year. I'm not big on research so I didn't take a year off. A few rads people do but most don't - it's not necessary to get good interviews and most people are able to fit research in. I didn't have any research which hurt me at. some research powerhouses like UCSF and Wash U but I was still able to get great places like Mass Gen and Hopkins. Most of my interview invites ended up being in the West and NE.

Derm is hypercompetive and research is a must. If you know you're interested you can get started on research as early as 1st semester 1st year if proactive.

45 isn't that much compared to my friends applying to ortho (80+) and derm (100+).
I have no idea if fee waivers exist I just budgeted in the cost (interviewing is much more expensive than applying unless you stick to one region where you can drive to all of them and/or don't use hotels) to the loans. I think I spent around 900 applying and 5-7K interviewing, maybe more.

I didn't settle on radiology until 3rd year. I'm not big on research so I didn't take a year off. A few rads people do but most don't - it's not necessary to get good interviews and most people are able to fit research in. I didn't have any research which hurt me at. some research powerhouses like UCSF and Wash U but I was still able to get great places like Mass Gen and Hopkins. Most of my interview invites ended up being in the West and NE.

Derm is hypercompetive and research is a must. If you know you're interested you can get started on research as early as 1st semester 1st year if proactive.

100+ programs are a lot. I guess they applied to every Derm program that is in the US, :laugh:. Congrats' on getting an interview at Mass Gen and Hopkins :). You must be pretty beastly to nail those interviews without having an extensive research background. If I start researching in Derm the 1st semester in medical school wouldn't that be too time consuming especially since I am adjusting to the whole medical school aspect. I know need to start research as early as possible though since this is a hyper-competitive specialty. I guess the earlier the better. What school did you rank number 1? Out of the 45 programs you applied to how many did you interview at?

100+ programs are a lot. I guess they applied to every Derm program that is in the US, :laugh:. Congrats' on getting an interview at Mass Gen and Hopkins :). You must be pretty beastly to nail those interviews without having an extensive research background. If I start researching in Derm the 1st semester in medical school wouldn't that be too time consuming especially since I am adjusting to the whole medical school aspect. I know need to start research as early as possible though since this is a hyper-competitive specialty. I guess the earlier the better. What school did you rank number 1? Out of the 45 programs you applied to how many did you interview at?

I did well on Step 1 and made junior AOA so those 2 things made up for it somewhat.

It's not uncommon for derm people to apply to every program since it's so competitive.

You don't have to start doing extensive research right when you get there but you can poke your head around the dept and get to know folks and get the ball rolling. As long as you have a sincere/legit interest in derm (prior experience is even better) this won't hurt you.

Went on 14 interviews. Not going to share my #1 but I'll update you post Match

I was brought up that way too, Jane, but I think you are blowing it out of context. He means that the husband will love to provide for his family the best way he can because if he doesn't he will feel less like a man. Whether is doing the laundry, putting food on the table, and/or attending parent teacher conference, a husband wants to make sure that he is notice for doing his fatherly/husband duties.

I don't think he meant led like being led by a horse. I think he means your spouse making sure you are focus on your dreams and purpose in life. I guess your spouse should make sure you're on point as always and be your motivator because like we stated before it's a TEAM effort. If I am in medical school and my bf is on his medical grind and doing what he needs to do to hit a top specialty then I feel like I am slacking which will force me to work harder like my bf. We want to be on the same page and technically on the same level. You can't be on the prologue and your spouse is on the epilogue because the relationship won't work. That is why professional people mostly date professional people and crackheads will always date crackheads.

Exactly. Dang right.

I did well on Step 1 and made junior AOA so those 2 things made up for it somewhat.

It's not uncommon for derm people to apply to every program since it's so competitive.

You don't have to start doing extensive research right when you get there but you can poke your head around the dept and get to know folks and get the ball rolling. As long as you have a sincere/legit interest in derm (prior experience is even better) this won't hurt you.

Went on 14 interviews. Not going to share my #1 but I'll update you post Match

Congrats on doing well on Step 1 ^_^. What is the highest score you can get on Step 1? Do you attend a P/F school and how were you able to get Junior AOA? Was it based on Step 1 scores only? Congrats on AOA as well. I see you're like sailing through medical school. You probably scored above a 30 on the MCAT as well. Do you think there is a direct correlation between MCAT scores and Step 1 scores?

14 interviews are a good amount and yes please keep me updated! I hope you get Mass Gen though or somewhere in NY

Members don't see this ad :)
It's sad that there are a plethora of weak black men in this society. I guess there aren't enough leaders for them to look up to, especially in a single parent household. But there are some dudes that I know who grew up with two parents and still became weak men. What is your opinion on that?

Everyone should find their purpose in life and literally walk with a purpose as well ^_^. Walk like you're on a mission, even if you're not!

Idk about the listening part because I can talk for a long time and because my voice is very unusual a lot of people hate listening to it for a long period of time :(.

How far NE are you heading? Is it New York or is it borderline NE like DC? I will tell you this there is NO STATE and I MEAN NO STATE that is LIKE NEW YORK ^_^. The farthest I will go for medical school is DC. I will hate to cross pass the Mason-Dixon line but if I had no other choice then I will :mad:

You better take that country bumpkin music out of here, lol. What is screw music though and if anything bring Waka Flocka, "No hands" and "Round of Applause". I am soooo upset that I won't be in the country to attend the SNMA Conference that is in Atlanta this year. I know it will be fantastic and wild crazy, son.

Also, with the skinny jeans epidemic it was meant for the Shotta bwoys in Jamaica (I am half Jamaican) but of course Americans took it out of context :smuggrin:

So you're attending medical school next fall, if so, congratulations ^_^.

See....already hatin again. Screw is the ish....just look up swishahouse and get back at me. It's that type of music you just wanna chill to, drive around town to, and even study to. That music is wild and crazy, son :smuggrin:.

Now, I am not a waka flocka fan....my grey hairs prevent me from being one lol. Also, did you hear his response when asked about voting a few years back? And I quote, "Votin' guud". Look that ish up. I was too embarrassed after hearing that fool say that. But I am a Slim Thug fan.

Now, back to the subject matter....now, there are many, not a whole lot, but too many black men that need to step their game up, as well as black women that need to do so too. I'm more concerned about continually lifting up us black men....that's why I concentrate on steps to build ourselves up. Now, I sense we have a lot of on point black men on the board, and I pop all of your collars. The problem is that a few 'weak' black men have kinda messed it up for all of us, just like a few 'independent like, Tyler Perry worshiping' black women have damaged the true black woman image.

Many times, the balance of masculinity and femininity in a family can affect the raising of a boy or a girl. If the father is continually allowing the mother to run him and the household, then the boy will adopt these passive characteristics and will act the same to other women he meets.

Every young boy has a mission in life, but he needs a man to guide him and be an example. That's why many single parent homes can still produce good men: because another male figure, whether it was an uncle, teacher, coach, deacon, or whoever, took that kid by the collar and laced him up on game.

I always say, only a MAN can teach a boy how to become a man, and only a WOMAN can teach a girl how to become a woman.

Oh yeah....I hate skinny pants, please believe me, but it's better for guys to do this than the fake gangster act......many wannabe 'G's have been brutally checked for trying to fake the funk.

Congrats on doing well on Step 1 ^_^. What is the highest score you can get on Step 1? Do you attend a P/F school and how were you able to get Junior AOA? Was it based on Step 1 scores only? Congrats on AOA as well. I see you're like sailing through medical school. You probably scored above a 30 on the MCAT as well. Do you think there is a direct correlation between MCAT scores and Step 1 scores?

14 interviews are a good amount and yes please keep me updated! I hope you get Mass Gen though or somewhere in NY

Thanks. Not sure if there is a max score on Step 1. Rarely people have scored in the 280s.

My school is ABCfail and I think AOA considered grades and Step 1 but I'm not positive.

There is a weak correlation between MCAT and Step 1. Very different tests but it's logical that people who are good standardized test takers would perform well on both. There are plenty of people who score in the 20s on their MCAT but score 240+ on Step 1. I got a 33 on mine (which projected into the 240s, scored in the 260s so I outperformed my MCAT on Step 1). Doing well on the MCAT guarantees nothing for Step 1, it's all about the work you put in during med school and Step 1 is an easier test to study for IMO

Very far from smooth sailing. Combination of hard work and good luck.

Thanks. Not sure if there is a max score on Step 1. Rarely people have scored in the 280s.

My school is ABCfail and I think AOA considered grades and Step 1 but I'm not positive.

There is a weak correlation between MCAT and Step 1. Very different tests but it's logical that people who are good standardized test takers would perform well on both. There are plenty of people who score in the 20s on their MCAT but score 240+ on Step 1. I got a 33 on mine (which projected into the 240s, scored in the 260s so I outperformed my MCAT on Step 1). Doing well on the MCAT guarantees nothing for Step 1, it's all about the work you put in during med school and Step 1 is an easier test to study for IMO

Very far from smooth sailing. Combination of hard work and good luck.

Yes, I was wondered what is the highest score on Step 1. The highest I saw on SDN was a 275 or something like that. A 33 on the MCAT is still a great score and based on that I would have assume that you were going to do extremely well on Step 1. Do you like the grading system of your school though? Isn't more competition because it's an ABCD school? How far in advance did you study for Step 1 though and did you use Gunner Training in M1? How is Step 1 easier to study for though, lol? It's an 8 hour exam with everything from the first 2 years of med school :laugh:

Yes, I was wondered what is the highest score on Step 1. The highest I saw on SDN was a 275 or something like that. A 33 on the MCAT is still a great score and based on that I would have assume that you were going to do extremely well on Step 1. Do you like the grading system of your school though? Isn't more competition because it's an ABCD school? How far in advance did you study for Step 1 though and did you use Gunner Training in M1? How is Step 1 easier to study for though, lol? It's an 8 hour exam with everything from the first 2 years of med school :laugh:

A 33 MCAT was in the low 90s percentile wise when I took it. Trust me that when you apply a 33 won't impress many people especially at the top schools (below avg for the top schools) 260s is estimated to be in the high 90s. I've received much more positive feedback abot Step 1 score than I remember getting about my MCAT.

The competition wasn't there but b/c classes were not curved and there was not a cap on how many students could get an A in a particular class.

The MCAT is more conceptual and less knowledge based especially the VR section. People often max out. Step 1 is much more knowledge based and has a better return of studying more -> better results. For the MCAT I took a Princeton review course and still didn't get the score I wanted. I started doing ?'s 6 months before my exam and had a dedicated study time of 1 month. Did not use gunner training or anything of that nature.

A 33 MCAT was in the low 90s percentile wise when I took it. Trust me that when you apply a 33 won't impress many people especially at the top schools (below avg for the top schools) 260s is estimated to be in the high 90s. I've received much more positive feedback abot Step 1 score than I remember getting about my MCAT.

The competition wasn't there but b/c classes were not curved and there was not a cap on how many students could get an A in a particular class.

The MCAT is more conceptual and less knowledge based especially the VR section. People often max out. Step 1 is much more knowledge based and has a better return of studying more -> better results. For the MCAT I took a Princeton review course and still didn't get the score I wanted. I started doing ?'s 6 months before my exam and had a dedicated study time of 1 month. Did not use gunner training or anything of that nature.

Boy! I can't wait to get this MCAT out of my life. I feel like it's a burden like having a child at age 14 or something (I know bad comparison). All I need is a 30+ and I will be satisfied. I can't even enjoy my Fulbright year in Korea because I am studying for this test :mad:
Do you go to a top 20 medical school? If so, do you think that had a big effect on your career as a radiologist? The reason I ask is this there are some schools who don't have a Derm dept and I am pretty skeptical in applying. Do you think one needs to check out what depts are available when applying to medical school? If so, then I can't apply to MSM or Meharry. I can only apply to Howard :oops:.

What did you do EC wise during medical school? I was going to put in my application for the AAD summer camp skin disorder program for the longest. Some people said it's a waste of time but I genuinely want to become a camp counselor. They even have camps for kids who are facially disfigured, mentally challenged and things like that. I would so do that as well :D. Plus, I am teaching kids in Korea and I think this will be a great opportunity for me.

Oh last question, did you seek out a mentor in Radiology who was a minority or did you pick any ole body. How and when should we look for a mentor during medical school?

33 is a Bomb Dot com score (I watch the Braxtons show a lot, so I got this saying from them)

See....already hatin again. Screw is the ish....just look up swishahouse and get back at me. It's that type of music you just wanna chill to, drive around town to, and even study to. That music is wild and crazy, son :smuggrin:.

Now, I am not a waka flocka fan....my grey hairs prevent me from being one lol. Also, did you hear his response when asked about voting a few years back? And I quote, "Votin' guud". Look that ish up. I was too embarrassed after hearing that fool say that. But I am a Slim Thug fan.

Now, back to the subject matter....now, there are many, not a whole lot, but too many black men that need to step their game up, as well as black women that need to do so too. I'm more concerned about continually lifting up us black men....that's why I concentrate on steps to build ourselves up. Now, I sense we have a lot of on point black men on the board, and I pop all of your collars. The problem is that a few 'weak' black men have kinda messed it up for all of us, just like a few 'independent like, Tyler Perry worshiping' black women have damaged the true black woman image.

Many times, the balance of masculinity and femininity in a family can affect the raising of a boy or a girl. If the father is continually allowing the mother to run him and the household, then the boy will adopt these passive characteristics and will act the same to other women he meets.

Every young boy has a mission in life, but he needs a man to guide him and be an example. That's why many single parent homes can still produce good men: because another male figure, whether it was an uncle, teacher, coach, deacon, or whoever, took that kid by the collar and laced him up on game.

I always say, only a MAN can teach a boy how to become a man, and only a WOMAN can teach a girl how to become a woman.

Oh yeah....I hate skinny pants, please believe me, but it's better for guys to do this than the fake gangster act......many wannabe 'G's have been brutally checked for trying to fake the funk.

Son, I am not a hater at ALL. I have too much swag for that :). Dang, it doesn't matter how much grey hair you have you can still get down and dirty with No hands and Party on Grove Street, lol. What generation are you? I am an 88 baby of course, the best of the best :D.
I totally concur with all of your points and Tyler Perry always make the men look guilty and the women desperate. Also, he caters more to the light-skinned woman in his cast if you ever analyzed his movies. It is imperative for a young boy to be guided by a man because a woman def. can't do a man's job no matter how hard we try. I can't have my son (I don't have any kids ;P) grow up without his father. But I honestly don't want a son, I prefer having girls since they are so much easier to grow and raise ^_^. I'm just praying for the best.

Dang, DC is the Chocolate City, I think. It is extremely cold and frigid in DC. Of course, to say it is extremely cold outside New Yorkers will say, it's mad brick outside. I remember when I first said that in the South they looked at me all crazy, lol. What does mad brick means and I don't understand the reference, stuff like that. Make sure you bundle up real tight because you know the South cold is nowhere as cold as Up North.

Swisha music sounds like music from the Mammoth's times, lol, and you know the Mammoth existed during the Ice Age time. :laugh:

Boy! I can't wait to get this MCAT out of my life. I feel like it's a burden like having a child at age 14 or something (I know bad comparison). All I need is a 30+ and I will be satisfied. I can't even enjoy my Fulbright year in Korea because I am studying for this test :mad:
Do you go to a top 20 medical school? If so, do you think that had a big effect on your career as a radiologist? The reason I ask is this there are some schools who don't have a Derm dept and I am pretty skeptical in applying. Do you think one needs to check out what depts are available when applying to medical school? If so, then I can't apply to MSM or Meharry. I can only apply to Howard :oops:.

What did you do EC wise during medical school? I was going to put in my application for the AAD summer camp skin disorder program for the longest. Some people said it's a waste of time but I genuinely want to become a camp counselor. They even have camps for kids who are facially disfigured, mentally challenged and things like that. I would so do that as well :D. Plus, I am teaching kids in Korea and I think this will be a great opportunity for me.

Oh last question, did you seek out a mentor in Radiology who was a minority or did you pick any ole body. How and when should we look for a mentor during medical school?

33 is a Bomb Dot com score (I watch the Braxtons show a lot, so I got this saying from them)

Check your inbox.

This thread is AMAZING. I'm wondering and secretly hoping if any mixed race female medical students (past and present) can comment on their dating situation. I'm half AA and half Asian (with Irish, French, Italian, and Native American thrown in) and would love to know how other female mixies have acclimated to the medical school environment and dating. Are you treated differently? Do you feel like you're treated differently by both black and/or white students (or students in general)?

Last edited:
This thread is AMAZING. I'm wondering and secretly hoping if any mixed race female medical students (past and present) can comment on their dating situation. I'm half AA and half Asian (with Irish, French, Italian, and Native American thrown in) and would love to know how other female mixies have acclimated to the medical school environment and dating. Are you treated differently? Do you feel like you're treated differently by both black and/or white students (or students in general)?

You will be treated like everybody else. Your best bet for finding a decent Black Man or Black Woman would be in medical school. LAquisha the single mom with 3 baby daddy's and pookie that slang crack on the block, tend to get weeded out fairly early in the admissions process.

You will be treated like everybody else. Your best bet for finding a decent Black Man or Black Woman would be in medical school. LAquisha the single mom with 3 baby daddy's and pookie that slang crack on the block, tend to get weeded out fairly early in the admissions process.

^^^^ This, has me rolling!

Last edited:
This thread has never been this dead

7 months and counting...I was browsing through this thread for hope. Where is everyone?

Was so bored in this hotel room that i read through almost all the post :D. I'm guessing this thread was "hot" back in 2007-9. Very entertaining to read none the less. The different perspectives on approaching males/females, dating outside "the race", dating same people in your med school, why not enough black men, etc. I should be sleep, Second interview of this week tomorrow :cool:

I'm kind of concerned about dating in med school as. I haven't had any good luck in that aspect and I know I can't rely on things to change once med school starts, I just don't want to be alone for the next four years again :(

Congrats to those accepted 2017. Hopefully, I can post here in about a few years.

I'm kind of concerned about dating in med school as. I haven't had any good luck in that aspect and I know I can't rely on things to change once med school starts, I just don't want to be alone for the next four years again :(

LOL see you at SNMA...

I was subtly hit on at one of my interviews by one of the other AA female applicants :cool:. Don't think this relationship thing will be a problem the next 4 years :D.

Hey! Here's an idea, but it is so radical, you guys may not even consider it at all. it is called...gasp...interracial dating. Anyone ever try it?

Hey! Here's an idea, but it is so radical, you guys may not even consider it at all. it is called...gasp...interracial dating. Anyone ever try it?

I don't discriminate...though I seem to attract the country western loving type girls!

i'm kind of concerned about dating in med school as. I haven't had any good luck in that aspect and i know i can't rely on things to change once med school starts, i just don't want to be alone for the next four years again :(

+1

For what it's worth, it is definitely possible to find love while on this journeyn(and anywhere you find love is a blessing) . I will be marrying the love of my life (met her in grad school) tomorrow afternoon. We are both in medical school and making this thing work one day at a time

Reactions: 1 user
S/N

I will be at SNMA this year too. I'm one of the National Osteopathic Committee Co-chairs if you guys have any questions

LOL see you at SNMA...

I am so mad that I am missing SNMA Conference for the 2nd time. The last one I've been to was in Ohio, I think. The need to have one in Miami :).

S/N

I will be at SNMA this year too. I'm one of the National Osteopathic Committee Co-chairs if you guys have any questions

That's cool :). I was on the International and PAC Committee

I was subtly hit on at one of my interviews by one of the other AA female applicants :cool:. Don't think this relationship thing will be a problem the next 4 years :D.

I got hit on a few time on interviews by AA women. I think the problem is more on the AA women side. One of my friends is a MS4 and she told me AA guys get over in med school.

LOL see you at SNMA...

Getting involved with SNMA as soon as I get to medical school. I definitly will be at the 2013 SNMA conference.

Well.....I'm all into dating other races (and forthcoming about it), but maybe I'm just suffering from ugly duckling syndrome lol. Similar case of being single all 4 years of undergrad and not wanting that to carry into med school.

Well.....I'm all into dating other races (and forthcoming about it), but maybe I'm just suffering from ugly duckling syndrome lol. Similar case of being single all 4 years of undergrad and not wanting that to carry into med school.

I don't understand. How do you go four years being single when your surrounded by other single people?...

Last edited:

Yeah, I interviewed at meharry and some girl actually gave me her number? I didn't get in so I doubt I will ever see her again.

I have. Some white girls are just so sweet and nice, and they will break their necks to help you. Seems like they realize good guys and actually pursue them

I only dated 2 twice in college. Both were a huge dissapointment

I don 't understand. How do you go four years being single when your surrounded by other single people?...

Just because there are a lot of people, does not mean there are a lot with mutual attraction. There were some cute girls at my school, but dumb as bricks. They only went after football players, frats, or pre med or law.

Yeah, I interviewed at meharry and some girl actually gave me her number? I didn't get in so I doubt I will ever see her again.

I have. Some white girls are just so sweet and nice, and they will break their necks to help you. Seems like they realize good guys and actually pursue them

I only dated 2 twice in college. Both were a huge dissapointment

Just because there are a lot of people, does not mean there are a lot with mutual attraction. There were some cute girls at my school, but dumb as bricks. They only went after football players, frats, or pre med or law.

I second this entire post. We will be killin' 'em when we are 28-35 though...