You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Dating in med school?
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
When you see the same people day in and day out, you tend to get to know them. Relationship status is one thing that you'll usually eventually find out. Do you have a Facebook? Your classmates will see pictures. Do you ever go out of town to see your partner? People will ask what you're doing over the weekend/break, etc.
Unless you're actively hiding your relationship status... it's not hard for others in your class to figure it out.
Not to mention if you're a girl and a guy asks you out and you tell him you're not single other guys will find out pretty quick. While keeping the details and intimacy of relationships to yourself is definitely admirable and the way to go, there's benefit to at least making it known that one exists.
Again, this is a question specifically for postbacc/medical students and also people who have completed med school.
And it's such high quality content, isn't it?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted647690
.
Last edited by a moderator:
about this topic, i feel like girls are hesitant to date me now because they find out I'm moving to another state for medical school, so I'm looking forward to the stability in medical school.
Doctor-doctor marriages have one of the lowest divorce rates. After starting third year I can totally understand why. And personally I like the idea of marrying another doctor, and even training in the same hospital (although being in the same program might be a little too much even for me). Of course such relationships are borne "out of circumstances"; what relationships aren't?
I agree.
As a general guideline, break up with any girl before medical school. It doesn't really matter HOW good looking she is as you can always get something better once you have the MD behind your name. IN medical school, it is probably the easiest time on your life for no-strings attached relationships. While the selection may not exactly be like taken from the Dallas Cowboys cheerleader squad, you will find something adequate by time AND eventually, I think marrying a female physician is the absolutely safest thing to do. A divorce hits equally, so the gold digging ratio is extremely low. While in rotations, there will be nurses left and right and left and right one more time, but you have to be careful. Don't take someone 's words they are on the pill, for example. Besides the risks with police and such, hiring the occasional escort can be a great way to avoid frustrations without having to risk financial ruin. Remember, you are not paying for sex, but rather her personal time. What happens after there is between two consenting adults. This is not prostitution.
Finally, using the MD letters to get chicks outside school is a risky thing, IMHO. Everything from balancing life time to getting proper mental support is not as good as it would be otherwise.
Don't tell them you're moving. Pretend like you're all invested then a week before you leave be like oh yeah I'm moving to a different state sorry. It was fun while it lasted. Bye byeabout this topic, i feel like girls are hesitant to date me now because they find out I'm moving to another state for medical school, so I'm looking forward to the stability in medical school.
Or better yet pretend that you want to do long distance then break-up by text a couple weeks after you move.
Don't tell them you're moving. Pretend like you're all invested then a week before you leave be like oh yeah I'm moving to a different state sorry. It was fun while it lasted. Bye bye
Or better yet pretend that you want to do long distance then break-up by text a couple weeks after you move.
I prefer just changing my facebook status, no conversation so less hassle.
I agree.
As a general guideline, break up with any girl before medical school. It doesn't really matter HOW good looking she is as you can always get something better once you have the MD behind your name. IN medical school, it is probably the easiest time on your life for no-strings attached relationships. While the selection may not exactly be like taken from the Dallas Cowboys cheerleader squad, you will find something adequate by time AND eventually, I think marrying a female physician is the absolutely safest thing to do. A divorce hits equally, so the gold digging ratio is extremely low. While in rotations, there will be nurses left and right and left and right one more time, but you have to be careful. Don't take someone 's words they are on the pill, for example. Besides the risks with police and such, hiring the occasional escort can be a great way to avoid frustrations without having to risk financial ruin. Remember, you are not paying for sex, but rather her personal time. What happens after there is between two consenting adults. This is not prostitution.
Finally, using the MD letters to get chicks outside school is a risky thing, IMHO. Everything from balancing life time to getting proper mental support is not as good as it would be otherwise.
This whole post makes me depressed. God do I hope that this level of egotistical shallowness is not representative of most men in medicine...
I don't think so. There are a lot of good men in my medical school class. Most of them are married, but there are a few single ones, too!This whole post makes me depressed. God do I hope that this level of egotistical shallowness is not representative of most men in medicine...
Try another flavor(ya know)?
What in the name of the scientific method does that mean
Haha! But in all seriousness, it really depends on the person and who you are with. You have to be 100% sure they understand your sacrifice and they're willing to make sacrifices as well.M1 and I'm single. You have time to date. Just make sure your tinder/okcupid/match profile picture is of you wearing a white coat and panties shall drop.
Also realize that medicine is like any other career in the fact that sacrifice is necessary. The person has to be understanding of the specifics.
Savage 🤣I prefer just changing my facebook status, no conversation so less hassle.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can't remember where I read this (it might have been in Intern: A Doctor's Initiation by Dr. Sandeep Jauhar), but a wise bit of advice from someone who has gone through the whole thing is that dating someone w/in the medical field (especially a fellow doctor) might be the best option. Sure, both of your lives are hectic, but the (medical) partner is the only one who will truly understand the ongoing stress you're going through and the time you have to invest in studies (and not on him/her).
I'm taking his advice to heart and am hoping on finding love in a hopeless place a' la Rihanna (e.g. w/in med school or during residency), but I could also see myself wanting to date someone who is as far away from the medical field as possible (a film critic, a chef, a yoga instructor) but passionate in their field. God knows I won't meet them walking around, but maybe they'll stumble into the hospital one fateful day.
I'm taking his advice to heart and am hoping on finding love in a hopeless place a' la Rihanna (e.g. w/in med school or during residency), but I could also see myself wanting to date someone who is as far away from the medical field as possible (a film critic, a chef, a yoga instructor) but passionate in their field. God knows I won't meet them walking around, but maybe they'll stumble into the hospital one fateful day.
It isnt scienceWhat in the name of the scientific method does that mean
...or maybe a bar or a regular mingling spotI'm taking his advice to heart and am hoping on finding love in a hopeless place a' la Rihanna (e.g. w/in med school or during residency), but I could also see myself wanting to date someone who is as far away from the medical field as possible (a film critic, a chef, a yoga instructor) but passionate in their field. God knows I won't meet them walking around, but maybe they'll stumble into the hospital one fateful day.
about this topic, i feel like girls are hesitant to date me now because they find out I'm moving to another state for medical school, so I'm looking forward to the stability in medical school.
Dude, get what you can and leave. Be honest and say something along the lines of
"Hey I'm really feeling you and youre extremely attractive. blah blah blah. But i dont want anything serious since I'm leaving for school."
No strings attach. Life is good.
Up your wink game and confidence.
Don't tell them you're moving. Pretend like you're all invested then a week before you leave be like oh yeah I'm moving to a different state sorry. It was fun while it lasted. Bye bye Or better yet pretend that you want to do long distance then break-up by text a couple weeks after you move.
Don't listen to this guy. He is the reason why girls are insecured and have trust issues.
What in the name of the scientific method does that mean
Dating outside of your race/culture/social group
I'm taking his advice to heart and am hoping on finding love in a hopeless place a' la Rihanna (e.g. w/in med school or during residency), but I could also see myself wanting to date someone who is as far away from the medical field as possible (a film critic, a chef, a yoga instructor) but passionate in their field. God knows I won't meet them walking around, but maybe they'll stumble into the hospital one fateful day.
They are hiding at the dance clubs and popular bars with their girlfriends. Be wary, because they are on their A game and will come off as stuck-up and/or her girlfriends will try to c*ckbl*ck you.
You will have competitions with other guys so dont come off as "thirsty"/creepy/aggressive.
Your priority is to their number, leave a good first and last impression. I typically have the girl kiss me on the cheek before I leave the spot
...or maybe a bar or a regular mingling spot
Whats a regular mingling spot?
YuGiOh! TournamentsWhats a regular mingling spot?
YuGiOh! Tournaments
Male dominant environment. Girls are probably taken, unattractive, and/or underage :/
I'm taking his advice to heart and am hoping on finding love in a hopeless place a' la Rihanna (e.g. w/in med school or during residency), but I could also see myself wanting to date someone who is as far away from the medical field as possible (a film critic, a chef, a yoga instructor) but passionate in their field. God knows I won't meet them walking around, but maybe they'll stumble into the hospital one fateful day.
...wait can't you get in trouble for dating a patient?
...wait can't you get in trouble for dating a patient?
Nothing good can ever come out of dating a patient. For a starter,,there is already an endless dependency/power disequilibrium that you can not be sure about. Secondly,,the medical boards love to take,your license for this and finally, you can never predict true intentions there.
Hehe, I know poster said in in some jest, just clarifying. Giving the patient a wrong drug? Sure.. Chopping off the wrong leg or hand? Sure... Not answering a page, leaving a patient in severe compromise? Sure..
Just don't you dare to even take a former patient for a cup of tea, even if it happens in Antartctica, at least not until you are sure some board will not find out about it and you will also suddenly discover who hates you 😉.i think there is nothing wrong with it in itself,but the legal framework makes it a high-risk thing.
Why would you want to date a sick patient anyways?
STAY AWAY, that's all.
....well, I don't have a problem with more men, but then, I'm not attracted to pimply fat guys with trench coats and ponytails.Male dominant environment. Girls are probably taken, unattractive, and/or underage :/
Hey, there's something for everyone I suppose.
I'm a girl. Definitely not the reason girls have trust issues. Maybe the reason a couple guys have trust issues.Dude, get what you can and leave. Be honest and say something along the lines of
"Hey I'm really feeling you and youre extremely attractive. blah blah blah. But i dont want anything serious since I'm leaving for school."
No strings attach. Life is good.
Up your wink game and confidence.
Don't listen to this guy. He is the reason why girls are insecured and have trust issues.
Dating outside of your race/culture/social group
This whole post makes me depressed. God do I hope that this level of egotistical shallowness is not representative of most men in medicine...
He's the same guy that tried to promote alternative medicine in the removed thread... honestly doubt he's even a physician.
Sometimes I wonder why I still have this account... then I realize Canadian MD drama isn't nearly as good.
I was surprised by how similar I was to most of the other medical students in personality, values, etc. Some of that is because of self-selection and some of it is because of admissions. For many med students, you'll find there's a good number of med students you may be interested in (and vice versa). It's very natural and common for med students to date each other.
He's the same guy that tried to promote alternative medicine in the removed thread... honestly doubt he's even a physician.
Sometimes I wonder why I still have this account... then I realize Canadian MD drama isn't nearly as good.
The video he linked is hilarious and very obviously a parody so I thought he was kidding. Damn, I hope he's kidding.
@DrMason If you've kidding, you got to up the absurdity level or else people will think you're being serious. Trust me, I have a PhD in humor. If you're not kidding, well, best of luck to you. Like tends to attract like and all that.
I'm a girl. Definitely not the reason girls have trust issues. Maybe the reason a couple guys have trust issues.
Nonetheless, your advice isn't right.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
...wait can't you get in trouble for dating a patient?
Woaw, woaw, woaw.
I'm allowed to meet someone at the hospital who isn't my patient. I stamp a permanent "no" on anyone who would be under my direct care.
I asked my wife about it, but she didn't seem too pleased with the idea.
I asked my wife about it, but she didn't seem too pleased with the idea.
You know what they say... Can't hurt to ask.
Except when yo wife kicks yo ass!
My, aren't you the town gossip? This is the second thread in which you've spread gossip about your classmates.Pretty common. Only 19 girls in our class but still a good number of in-class relationships.
I know one of my friends frequently nails another classmate. Talks about it and i can see his car across the street in front of her place a lot.
Do all your classmates know/appreciate you spreading gossip about them all over SDN? Shouldn't you be studying instead of checking out who's car is in front of which classmates apt?
My, aren't you the town gossip? This is the second thread in which you've spread gossip about your classmates.
Do all your classmates know/appreciate you spreading gossip about them all over SDN? Shouldn't you be studying instead of checking out who's car is in front of which classmates apt?
There's one in every school. Can't even sleep with a classmate anymore without complete strangers knowing all about your business
I'm gonna slay so hard in med school
Guys, there's nothing malicious. Calm. I'm keeping them anonymous, so I'm no different than any of you guys. The only way you would know who I'm talking about is if you're the my class, which I assume for the majority of them shouldn't be new news.
ON TOPIC, previous guy told me he and her left after the first hour of class yesterday to "chill" at his place. At least they are sneakier now by going to his apartment instead of her sole apartment. Animals.
Why are you spreading gossip about people we don't know or care about? This has almost nothing to do with the thread. Also, you're a bad person. Please get a hobby
...Besides the risks with police and such, hiring the occasional escort can be a great way to avoid frustrations without having to risk financial ruin. Remember, you are not paying for sex, but rather her personal time. What happens after there is between two consenting adults. This is not prostitution...
"Avoiding financial ruin" is an interesting take on the whole hooker thing.
"animals" lmaoGuys, there's nothing malicious. Calm. I'm keeping them anonymous, so I'm no different than any of you guys. The only way you would know who I'm talking about is if you're the my class, which I assume for the majority of them shouldn't be new news.
ON TOPIC, previous guy told me he and her left after the first hour of class yesterday to "chill" at his place. At least they are sneakier now by going to his apartment instead of her sole apartment. Animals.
Just make another account and lie that you're in med school.Pre-meds are not allowed to make threads (though you are free to post) on Allo or the residency forums. Don't worry, there are med students around all of the time.
Again, this is a question specifically for postbacc/medical students and also people who have completed med school.
Just make another account and lie that you're in med school.
Sure, it's not exactly hard to just lie and get away with it but the rules are the rules
Wow...sounds like you really need to get laid. You seem to have a very unhealthy obsession with your classmates social/sex lives. Your gossiping makes you sound more like a 13 year old than a medical school student.Guys, there's nothing malicious. Calm. I'm keeping them anonymous, so I'm no different than any of you guys. The only way you would know who I'm talking about is if you're the my class, which I assume for the majority of them shouldn't be new news.
ON TOPIC, previous guy told me he and her left after the first hour of class yesterday to "chill" at his place. At least they are sneakier now by going to his apartment instead of her sole apartment. Animals.
Unfortunately, it's very common for employees and older students to gossip. Just a lack of maturity generally displayed in people.Wow...sounds like you really need to get laid. You seem to have a very unhealthy obsession with your classmates social/sex lives. Your gossiping makes you sound more like a 13 year old than a medical school student.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Someone define type A person to me
it works much better when you tell a girl in person you're gonna be a med student rather than putting it on tinder. I've found tinder to be a waste of time.get tinder and put med student in your signature, youre good to go
It really depends on what you want. I could see why you would feel this way if you were looking for something stable or serious.it works much better when you tell a girl in person you're gonna be a med student rather than putting it on tinder. I've found tinder to be a waste of time.
hahaha yeahIt really depends on what you want. I could see why you would feel this way if you were looking for something stable or serious.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 32
- Views
- 2K
E
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 399
E