This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hn2019

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a psychology major with pre-med and English minors with a cGPA of 3.84. My Psych GPA is a 4.00 and I am debating Medical School/Psychiatry or MD career versus a Psych PhD/Clinical Counseling career.

I have not yet taken the MCAT or GRE but am planning to do so this spring.

I had B in both semesters of Gen Chem, A- in both semesters of Biology, A- in Physics, B+ in Biochem, and an A on O-Chem I and a B+ in O-Chem II.

I have some volunteering experience with medical supply packing and an animal shelter.

I am currently a Medical Scribe in the ED and will be obtaining about 50 hours of job shadowing this summer.

How likely would I be to get into a good medical school. Or would the psychology path be a better fit?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a psychology major with pre-med and English minors with a cGPA of 3.84. My Psych GPA is a 4.00 and I am debating Medical School/Psychiatry or MD career versus a Psych PhD/Clinical Counseling career.

I have not yet taken the MCAT or GRE but am planning to do so this spring.

I had B in both semesters of Gen Chem, A- in both semesters of Biology, A- in Physics, B+ in Biochem, and an A on O-Chem I and a B+ in O-Chem II.

I have some volunteering experience with medical supply packing and an animal shelter.

I am currently a Medical Scribe in the ED and will be obtaining about 50 hours of job shadowing this summer.

How likely would I be to get into a good medical school. Or would the psychology path be a better fit?

Your MCAT will play a big role but your GPA is great. I'm still applying myself this upcoming cycle but I think if you do well on the MCAT and get some shadowing in you'll be good! My intro psych Professor at my undergrad saw patients through the counseling route you mentioned and the big difference from what I remember is she can't prescribe meds and focuses more on therapy. So you should probably look into both and speak to people from both ends and see which you like better.