DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine: Part 5....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. Most schools do not require one, only 90 hrs or so. I was actually encouraged by the Asst. Dean of Quillen College of Medicine (ETSU) a couple of years ago to apply a year early. And then this application cycle, my advisor pushed me again to go ahead and take the MCAT and apply. Though my MCAT was not competitive for allopathic schools, it was plenty for DO schools (with which I was happy). I did have a very good gpa, excellent LORs (inorg. chem assoc. prof, respected Org Chem Prof, and Bus. Comm Prof (lawyer), Plus an MD (Peds Mentor) and DO), and lots of EC and leadership (mostly kids and church related). Oh, another thing that really struck the interviewers was that I proved I could handle the rigors of 4 children and a full course load (I carried around 18 hrs a semester). At every interview, someone mentioned that.

So, though I hear it is rare, it is possible. I was invited for interviews at LECOM-B (declined), LECOM-E (went, accepted, withdrew), LMU-DCOM (went, accepted), PCOM-GA (went, waitlisted), WVSOM (went, accepted, withdrew), NSU (declined). After I was accepted to DCOM, I withdrew from my interviews at LECOM-B and NSU. I almost did at WVSOM, but at the last minute decided to go. The key is to read, read, read. Find out everything you can about the school before you fill out your secondaries!

I can send you my stats and personal statement if you PM me, if you are interested in this route. :)

I think that I know what your MCAT was from a previous post. You probably would have still had a shot at ETSU. I know they have a huge in-state preference. Not that it matters now anyway, and DCOM is a much better school.:love:

I had the same response about being a mother at my interviews. MED SCHOOLS :biglove: MOMS!!!:D :thumbup:

On a side note, don't you want your degree? Even if I could have gotten in without my degree, I wouldn't have wanted to. I wanted something to hang on my wall! Plus, people just assume that you are smart when you tell them that you have a degree in biology.:laugh: ;)

Members don't see this ad.

I just received an eamil from Dr. Leo thanking me for sending it and letting me know he would forward it onto the admissions committee.

WhoooHoooo! Hopefully you are on the right track! Did you include a pic?

I
On a side note, don't you want your degree? Even if I could have gotten in without my degree, I wouldn't have wanted to. I wanted something to hang on my wall! Plus, people just assume that you are smart when you tell them that you have a degree in biology.:laugh: ;)

Why? I will have the important degree and I know I will not be going back for MPH or MBA. I doubt many people care what their physicians ug degree is in or even know you can get your MD or DO w/o one. Plus why would I want to go for another year if I didn't have too? :laugh:

Your right, poeple about fell over when I told them (before I got accepted to med school) that my major was in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology! :laugh: A blonde mom with that kind of smarts, no way! No they pass out when I tell them I am going to med school.

Members don't see this ad :)

And people won't assume you're smart because you're a physician???? :rolleyes:

My dad doesn't have an undergraduate degree, and he could care less. When you're a physician, nobody asks you about your undergraduate degree....or where you went to med school for that matter.

My dad doesn't have an undergraduate degree, and he could care less. When you're a physician, nobody asks you about your undergraduate degree....or where you went to med school for that matter.

LOL! Of course people think that you are smart if you are a doctor, but it will be a few more years before I am one. So, I get to tell everyone for the next few years that I have a degree in biology.:D

It is true that once you are a doctor, most people will not care about where you went to med school or your undergraduate degree. But, (and no one take offense to this, because it is just my opinion,:) ) if you were MY doctor and I found out that you didn't have an undergraduate degree, I would really question why. Plus, if you want to go on and get an MBA or a PhD or something like that, wouldn't you need to have a bachelor's degree? What if for some reason you start medical school and hate it? Then you don't even have a degree to fall back on. I am sure that there are plenty of physicians who are just fine without a bachelor's degree, but I wouldn't personally do it. (AS I SAID, NO OFFENSE INTENDED! I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!:D ):biglove: :biglove: :biglove:

Hey guys! Is there any kind of online resource for finding homes/real estate in the area around our school?

has anybody who interviewed on april 10th heard back yet??

oops, i meant 4/10 interviewees :)

I actually don't have the links anymore. I deleted them, but I did post them on one of the earlier DCOM threads. Good luck finding them! LOL! We are out of control with this thread.:laugh: Below is the link to the realtor that we used. Knoxnews.com is also a really good site. When I get a minute, I will Google the ones I used before and see if I can find them for you. Good luck with the house hunting!:) :luck:
http://www.vwilderrealestate.com/

I agree with you Seger. It's not like I am skipping because I can't finish :laugh: I think it says the opposite. :laugh: Would a patient say "you slacker, you skipped a year of college and went straight to med school!"

... if you were MY doctor and I found out that you didn't have an undergraduate degree, I would really question why... ...

That really doesn't make any since, if you think about it. Ask yourself why kids skip grades, I skipped my junior year in high school also? Is it because I couldn't do the work in that grade? I think that the only reason I have been successful throughout this application cycle is because I was just as competitive as everyone else with a degree. :thumbup:

I know you didn't "want to offend anyone", but I felt like you are saying that you were academically above me because I am not getting my undergrad degree and that is obsurd! So don't take this personally, I am just pointing out why I disagree with you. :smuggrin: :)

More people haven't done it b/c 1) they don't know they can and 2) they are young and need the extra year for maturity

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with you Seger. It's not like I am skipping because I can't finish :laugh: I think it says the opposite. :laugh: Would a patient say "you slacker, you skipped a year of college and went straight to med school!"

That really doesn't make any since, if you think about it. Ask yourself why kids skip grades, I skipped my junior year in high school also? Is it because I couldn't do the work in that grade? I think that the only reasonI have been successful throughout this application cycle is because I was just as competitive as everyone else with a degree. :thumbup:

I know you didn't "want to offend anyone", but I felt like you are saying that you were academically above me because I am not getting my undergrad degree and that is obsurd! So don't take this personally, I am just pointing out why I disagree with you. :smuggrin: :)

More people haven't done it b/c 1) they don't know they can and 2) they are young and need the extra year for maturity

Well, I am not saying that I am "academically above" you in anyway, nor did I imply that in any of my comments. So, I am not really sure how you inferred that. That doesn't make sense. We are going to the same school as equals, and I already know that your GPA and MCAT is higher than mine. :rolleyes: ;) I just feel like you are missing out and rushing things if you don't get your undergraduate degree. Plus, it is always nice to have something to fall back on. Seriously, what if you go to DCOM and decide that medicine is not the right profession for you? What do you do then? I know how hard I worked for my bachelor's degree and it just seems like such a waste to get so far and then not have the degree to show for it. That's all. It is just my opinion.:)

As for skipping grades in high school, I don't think that is a good idea. I also skipped a grade, eighth grade, and that was the worst decision that my parents could have made for me. While I had the intelligence needed to complete the work in ninth grade, I did not have the emotional maturity to do so. I ended up at two different schools for ninth grade and then barely passed at all. I really think that they passed me only because I was such a brat and they didn't want me back. That was the last grade that I completed. I ended up getting my GED at a later date. While skipping eighth grade was not the sole cause of my academic performance, it definitely played a role. So, in my case, skipping a grade was a really bad decision. Now, this situation is not at all applicable to your current situation, but I was just addressing the comment about skipping grades in high school.

There is a time and a place for everything and a certain sequence that things tend to follow. There is a reason most medical schools do not accept applicants without a bachelor's degree. While it has nothing to do with your intelligence, it has a lot to do with patience, perseverance, and foresight. Obviously, you have demonstrated those things in other ways because you are going to medical school with four children. But, I just kind of feel that it is a waste to get so close to having your undergraduate degree and then not get it. Don't you want to have it to hang on your wall? What about graduation? Don't you want to go to your graduation? I just think you are cheating yourself if you go on to medical school without a bachelor's degree, That has absolutely nothing to do with you being intelligent, competitive, and capable. :) :love:

Well, I am not saying that I am "academically above" you in anyway, nor did I imply that in any of my comments. So, I am not really sure how you inferred that. That doesn't make sense. We are going to the same school as equals, and I already know that your GPA and MCAT is higher than mine. I just feel like you are missing out and rushing things if you don't get your undergraduate degree. Plus, it is always nice to have something to fall back on. Seriously, what if you go to DCOM and decide that medicine is not the right profession for you? What do you do then? I know how hard I worked for my bachelor's degree and it just seems like such a waste to get so far and then not have the degree to show for it. That's all. It is just my opinion.

As for skipping grades in high school, I don't think that is a good idea. I also skipped a grade, eighth grade, and that was the worst decision that my parents could have made for me. While I had the intelligence needed to complete the work in ninth grade, I did not have the emotional maturity to do so. I ended up at two different schools for ninth grade and then barely passed at all. I really think that they passed me only because I was such a brat and they didn't want me back. That was the last grade that I completed. I ended up getting my GED at a later date. While skipping eighth grade was not the sole cause of my academic performance, it definitely played a role. So, in my case, skipping a grade was a really bad decision. Now, this situation is not at all applicable to your current situation, but I was just addressing the comment about skipping grades in high school.

There is a time and a place for everything and a certain sequence that things tend to follow. There is a reason most medical schools do not accept applicants without a bachelor's degree. While it has nothing to do with your intelligence, it has a lot to do with patience, perseverance, and foresight. Obviously, you have demonstrated those things in other ways because you are going to medical school with four children. But, I just kind of feel that it is a waste to get so close to having your undergraduate degree and then not get it. Don't you want to have it to hang on your wall? What about graduation? Don't you want to go to your graduation? I just think you are cheating yourself if you go on to medical school without a bachelor's degree, That has absolutely nothing to do with you being intelligent, competitive, and capable.

DocMom, if you new me you would laugh at everything you just said. :laugh: :laugh: For one thing, like you I have four children, but I am 33 and I am not missing out on anything by not getting my BS. If I stayed another year in undergrad, I would be missing out on a year I could be practicing medicine at the other end of my life.

I lost my mother (50 yrs old) in a car accident in 2000 and cared for my dad who was a quadraplegic from that point on until he died, in my home holding my hand, from squamous cell carcinoma of the bladder in June of 2005 (he was 56 yrs). Also, after the accident, I cared for my sister for months who was originally given only a slim chance of living. Though your statement may be true about yourself ("missing out not getting an undergraduate degree"), it is not accurate when it comes to myself or the majority of the non-trads that are applying to med school. It seems apparent that you set getting your degree in Bio as a major milestone in your life, which is great. :thumbup: That was not a goal in my life. My point is that life is short (from experience I have witnessed this), I know what I want, and what I need to do to get where I am going. That place is fullfilling a life long dream of practicing medicine, just as is your current goal.

As for wondering where I got the idea that you were implying that I was academically below you, the statement "...if you were MY doctor and I found out you didn't have an undergraduate degree, I would really question why..." strongly implied that. If it wasn't meant that way, then I'm not sure what you meant. I feel most people would feel that statement is obsurd.

I am overjoyed I don't have to be in the undergrad trenches anymore! I am looking forward to graduation in 2011 and recieving my Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine degree! That degree is the only one I care about hanging on my wall! :banana: :banana:

I do agree that we all will be equals when we start in Aug. And just so other posters know, I have never implied that my MCAT or GPA are higher than yours. You gleened that info from other posts when I was offering advice to others. I would never use anyones stats against them or to make a point. :)

i didnt know any of the degree stuff truly mattered...everyone is going to med school clean slate. quit worrying about it and enjoy the time before times get real tough...

i didnt know any of the degree stuff truly mattered...everyone is going to med school clean slate. quit worrying about it and enjoy the time before times get real tough...

The degree stuff doesn't matter. I am absolutely going to enjoy the summer before the going really gets tough!

I think Sunnyjohn ended up getting more information than she asked for! :laugh: :laugh:

Oh, and I bet Dr. I is somewhere reading this dying because he can't post :p :laugh:

The degree stuff doesn't matter.

Hey guys, I am new here but I have been accepted at DCOM since January.

I would tend to agree with docmom on this one, but I can see where Irobin is coming from in her situation. However, my siblings went to OK State-COM and they told me that some of residency programs do take undergrad. accomplishments into account. They and I both agree that this was totally crappy but who knows?

I would tend to agree with docmom on this one, but I can see where Irobin is coming from in her situation. However, my siblings went to OK State-COM and they told me that some of residency programs do take undergrad. accomplishments into account. They and I both agree that this was totally crappy but who knows?

When did you interview at OSU-COM?

I interviewed March 2nd.
My brother, brother-in-law, and sister-in-law attended OSU-Com.

Wow, quiet a family history at OSU-COM!

DocMom, if you new me you would laugh at everything you just said. :laugh: :laugh: For one thing, like you I have four children, but I am 33 and I am not missing out on anything by not getting my BS. If I stayed another year in undergrad, I would be missing out on a year I could be practicing medicine at the other end of my life.

I lost my mother (50 yrs old) in a car accident in 2000 and cared for my dad who was a quadraplegic from that point on until he died, in my home holding my hand, from squamous cell carcinoma of the bladder in June of 2005 (he was 56 yrs). Also, after the accident, I cared for my sister for months who was originally given only a slim chance of living. Though your statement may be true about yourself ("missing out not getting an undergraduate degree"), it is not accurate when it comes to myself or the majority of the non-trads that are applying to med school. It seems apparent that you set getting your degree in Bio as a major milestone in your life, which is great. :thumbup: That was not a goal in my life. My point is that life is short (from experience I have witnessed this), I know what I want, and what I need to do to get where I am going. That place is fullfilling a life long dream of practicing medicine, just as is your current goal.

As for wondering where I got the idea that you were implying that I was academically below you, the statement "...if you were MY doctor and I found out you didn't have an undergraduate degree, I would really question why..." strongly implied that. If it wasn't meant that way, then I'm not sure what you meant. I feel most people would feel that statement is obsurd.

I am overjoyed I don't have to be in the undergrad trenches anymore! I am looking forward to graduation in 2011 and recieving my Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine degree! That degree is the only one I care about hanging on my wall! :banana: :banana:

I do agree that we all will be equals when we start in Aug. And just so other posters know, I have never implied that my MCAT or GPA are higher than yours. You gleened that info from other posts when I was offering advice to others. I would never use anyones stats against them or to make a point. :)

LOL! I know you never implied that your MCAT or GPA was higher than mine, but I know that it is from other posts. So, I wouldn't have much of a leg to stand on if I were to start an argument that I was academically superior to you. ;)

As for the comment about "you being my doctor", it goes back to the comment about patience, perseverance, etc., and not a comment about intelligence. If I asked my doctor why they didn't have their bachelor's degree and they told me that they just didn't want to take them time to get that, then I would feel that they would take the short-cut to everything. That is just my personal opinion and it was not meant to be absurd.:)

Getting your BA/BS is obviously not a big deal to you, and there is nothing wrong with that if you are happy and comfortable with that decision. I just know that I would personally regret that decision, and I just assume that other people would as well. That's all.

I am sorry for your loss. I am sure that was very difficult for you. We all have our experiences that helped to guide us on our paths in life. Life is very short and very precious. I agree with that. I am sure that it will all work out for both of us.:) :luck:

Congrats! Will we see you in August?:) :biglove: :banana:

LOL! I know you never implied that your MCAT or GPA was higher than mine, but I know that it is from other posts. So, I wouldn't have much of a leg to stand on if I were to start an argument that I was academically superior to you. ;)

As for the comment about "you being my doctor", it goes back to the comment about patience, perseverance, etc., and not a comment about intelligence. If I asked my doctor why they didn't have their bachelor's degree and they told me that they just didn't want to take them time to get that, then I would feel that they would take the short-cut to everything. That is just my personal opinion and it was not meant to be absurd.:)

Hmmmm....I don't think that is what patients would think :laugh: Nice try though. :laugh:

Yep! Pretty Much fell in love with DCOM:oops:

Hmmmm....I don't think that is what patients would think :laugh: Nice try though. :laugh:

OK. Well I have been a patient before and if my doctor told me that, that is exactly what I would think. I doubt that I am the only person.:laugh:

It is like running a marathon and getting with in a few feet of the finish line and just saying f*uck it, I don't want to finish. :smuggrin: :laugh:

Considering that we all will be going to an osteopathic school in rural Tennessee all of this intellectual penis envy doesn't seem necessary.

Let's not kid ourselves about degrees though.

I'll have a biology degree when I graduate which essentially would relegate me to be a slave in a lab. It's not that useful unfortunately. That being said, I really enjoyed my four years of college and it got me to where I wanted to go.

Considering that we all will be going to an osteopathic school in rural Tennessee all of this intellectual penis envy doesn't seem necessary.

Let's not kid ourselves about degrees though.

I'll have a biology degree when I graduate which essentially would relegate me to be a slave in a lab. It's not that useful unfortunately. That being said, I really enjoyed my four years of college and it got me to where I wanted to go.

I don't have a penis, although I do love that comment. :rolleyes: :smuggrin: ;)

What is that first comment supposed to mean anyway? RURAL TN?!?!? H#LL YEA!!! WOOT!!!! D#MN PROUD TOO!:biglove:

I can go a job and get paid 50,000 w/ awesome benefits working for the state here with my bio degree. Not a doctor's salary, but it is definitely worth something. :D :thumbup:

This BS conversation (no pun intended :rolleyes: ) could go on forever.

How many ETSU'ers out their in DCOM land ??
Granted I only took er... retook Orgo I after 15 yrs... but I've enjoyed the campus.
I certainly like East TN.

If you guys ( and by you guys I mean parents w/sub 10 yr olds) have not discovered Dollywood, plan to go at least 2 or 3 times before school. It's the perfect themepark for the little ones. Plus two great rollercoasters for the not so little:eek::love:.

This BS conversation (no pun intended :rolleyes: ) could go on forever.

How many ETSU'ers out their in DCOM land ??
Granted I only took er... retook Orgo I after 15 yrs... but I've enjoyed the campus.
I certainly like East TN.

If you guys ( and by you guys I mean parents w/sub 10 yr olds) have not discovered Dollywood, plan to go at least 2 or 3 times before school. It's the perfect themepark for the little ones. Plus two great rollercoasters for the not so little:eek::love:.

Splash Country too (my kids fav). I know one of our soon to be classmates is a head hancho in the lifeguard department...just look for the great tan come fall. :laugh:

Just make sure you sit on the South's side if you go to Dixie Stampede.

:D

How far away is Dollywood? I know there is a zoo in Knoxville too. Lots of fun stuff to do in TN.:biglove: :biglove:

BTW....WE BROKE THE 100 DAY MARK...

The countdown to the first day of orientation has begun! 99 Days, 08 Hours, 30 Minutes, 00 Seconds.
...until August 1, 2007.

:biglove: :banana: :clap: :hardy: :biglove: :banana: :clap: :hardy:

I havn't been since I was maybe 10 years old so I can't comment on this.

It's fun but they plop that food down out of buckets and you have to eat it with your fingers -fine for potato wedges, not for a whole chicken. I think it is supposed to feel like the chuck wagon.

My kids like the Christmas show.

It's fun but they plop that food down out of buckets and you have to eat it with your fingers -fine for potato wedges, not for a whole chicken. I think it is supposed to feel like the chuck wagon.

My kids like the Christmas show.

I always carry "the utensil" just in case.

spork.jpg

OK. Well I have been a patient before and if my doctor told me that, that is exactly what I would think. I doubt that I am the only person.:laugh:

It is like running a marathon and getting with in a few feet of the finish line and just saying f*uck it, I don't want to finish. :smuggrin: :laugh:

No, it is like running a marathon and seeing a medal waiting on the other side of the finish line....then glancing to the right and seeing that (although an extra mile of running) there is a huge @$$ trophy with a fulfilling career and a pot of gold on the other side of another finish line.

Obviously the adcom feels that whatever filler courses Irobin has left to complete her undergraduate degree will not substanctially benefit her ability to be a successful physician.

Personally, I think it is a GREAT thing what Irobin is doing! Regardless of the kids, the tragedies, etc. (and I don't mean to de-emphasize those points) the thought of someone having the courage to take on a challenge like that is very commendable. To me, it is that kind of mentality - looking for a more efficient and effective way to do things - that will help save her and her patients time and money. And we all know time and money are the two biggest problems in healthcare today.

:lol:The Spork!

You know....I was thinking one day while eating red beans and rice at Popeye's....shouldn't it be called a "Foon" rather than a "Spork"?

Think about it...it's predominantly a spoon, so shouldn't that carry more weight in the pronounciation?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

No, it is like running a marathon and seeing a medal waiting on the other side of the finish line....then glancing to the right and seeing that (although an extra mile of running) there is a huge @$$ trophy with a fulfilling career and a pot of gold on the other side of another finish line.

Obviously the adcom feels that whatever filler courses Irobin has left to complete her undergraduate degree will not substanctially benefit her ability to be a successful physician.

Personally, I think it is a GREAT thing what Irobin is doing! Regardless of the kids, the tragedies, etc. (and I don't mean to de-emphasize those points) the thought of someone having the courage to take on a challenge like that is very commendable. To me, it is that kind of mentality - looking for a more efficient and effective way to do things - that will help save her and her patients time and money. And we all know time and money are the two biggest problems in healthcare today.

:beat: :beat: :beat: :beat::sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :rolleyes:

So did you ever get off the waitlist or are you just planning on becoming a Harrogate real estate mogul?

So did you ever get off the waitlist or are you just planning on becoming a Harrogate real estate mogul?

I'm still patiently waiting on the waitlist. I plan on becoming a Harrogate real estate mogul until I am accepted.

I forget, are you going to DCOM or what's your story? (legitimate question, not trying to me a smart @$$)

Status
Not open for further replies.