DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine: Part 5....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You and the wif will have to stop by if I am out there still. Maybe I should bring the clubs and we could atleast go and hit some nuggets at the local driving range.

Sounds like a great idea. I am trying to convince my wife to let me bring my sticks when we go, but she is all about looking for a house, which I am too, but I can't look at houses for 4 days straight, I'd lose my mind. I really want to go play the course in KY off of 33, about 15 min or so from DCOM. I looks really nice.

You have to stop by and say hello if you get a chance! I would love to meet you guys!:luck: :biglove:

Definately, sounds like a great idea. We would love to meet you guys too. Maybe I'll bring some of those weird chocolates as a house warming gift, along with my updated t-shirt....DCOM: The home of goat berries, Pete the Pony, and Dr. Inviz. :smuggrin: (I like having Pete in this one better).

Members don't see this ad.

To my fellow golfers,

Here is a link to the website of the golf course I've mentioned a few times. Like I said above, I believe it is about 10-15 minutes from DCOM. It looks beautiful and is freaking cheap!!! :banana:

http://parks.ky.gov/golf/18hole/pm/index.htm

Sounds like a great idea. I am trying to convince my wife to let me bring my sticks when we go, but she is all about looking for a house, which I am too, but I can't look at houses for 4 days straight, I'd lose my mind. I really want to go play the course in KY off of 33, about 15 min or so from DCOM. I looks really nice.

Definately, sounds like a great idea. We would love to meet you guys too. Maybe I'll bring some of those weird chocolates as a house warming gift, along with my updated t-shirt....DCOM: The home of goat berries, Pete the Pony, and Dr. Inviz. :smuggrin: (I like having Pete in this one better).

Sounds perfect! Yes, I like having Pete in that one too!:D

Members don't see this ad :)
:hello:
I am prepared to defend my title and can definitely out not-study you. Bring it.
+pissed+:beat:

Good luck with that, I just want to be upper-mediocre -maybe in the top 50 or so. But I would love to see a fight for the bottom. Whoohooo!!! Go NPEMTIV, Go NPEMTIV....:laugh: :laugh:

Disclaimer: Sorry had to vote for the hometown hero, in no way did I mean to insult or belittle anyone who is fighting for the 150th spot. hehe

:hello:
I am prepared to defend my title and can definitely out not-study you. Bring it.
+pissed+:beat:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :smuggrin: NICE! Well, I will be fighting for #1, so since we aren't in direct competition, I guess we can still be friends.;) :laugh:

Good luck with that, I just want to be upper-mediocre -maybe in the top 50 or so. But I would love to see a fight for the bottom. Whoohooo!!! Go NPEMTIV, Go NPEMTIV....:laugh: :laugh:

Disclaimer: Sorry had to vote for the hometown hero, in no way did I mean to insult or belittle anyone who is fighting for the 150th spot. hehe

:lol:!! I love the disclaimer.

If you really think about it, it's gonna take quite a talented student to finish 150th in the class. After all, how do you finish dead last yet still pass and eventually graduate?

Ask yourselves: Do YOU have what it takes?

If you really think about it, it's gonna take quite a talented student to finish 150th in the class. After all, how do you finish dead last yet still pass and eventually graduate?

Ask yourselves: Do YOU have what it takes?

*Cue the inspirational fight music*

+pity+ <----- orchestra

Anybody hear anything from the interviews on 4/17?

Anybody hear anything from the interviews on 4/17?

They usually have their meeting on Thursdays and then start making acceptence calls on Monday (around 3:00) and sometimes on Tuesdays. Don't freak if you don't get a call from Dr. Stowers, some have not gotten calls and only received acceptance letters.

Good Luck :luck: :luck:

The Council met yesterday about the interviewees from 4/10 and probably 4/17 as well. There's another set of interviews today (the last), and word should start coming down on Monday.

When I was notified of my acceptance, all I received was a letter in the mail.

Members don't see this ad :)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :smuggrin: NICE! Well, I will be fighting for #1, so since we aren't in direct competition, I guess we can still be friends.;) :laugh:

I guess you and I can't be friends then, and man I was really looking forward to being in a study group with you!!!:( ;)

But hey we can keep each other on out toes!!:biglove:

I guess you and I can't be friends then, and man I was really looking forward to being in a study group with you!!!:( ;)

But hey we can keep each other on out toes!!:biglove:

AWWWW!!! THAT STINKS!!! :laugh: No, we can be friends. We can study together and tie for first.:D :thumbup:

AWWWW!!! THAT STINKS!!! :laugh: No, we can be friends. We can study together and tie for first.:D :thumbup:

Yeah I tie would work for me!! :laugh:

I just want everyone to help each other out, that was one of the things I liked about PCSOM they all were really close, and sent out study guides and quizes that they made. :love: They were like a family!! (ok I know that sounds very mushy but oh well) :D

Yeah I tie would work for me!! :laugh:

I just want everyone to help each other out, that was one of the things I liked about PCSOM they all were really close, and sent out study guides and quizes that they made. :love: They were like a family!! (ok I know that sounds very mushy but oh well) :D

LOL! That was about the only thing that I liked at PCSOM. (Well, that and the free stuff....sorry!) They were a very close-knit group of students. That definitely was very obvious at my interview there. The guy who gave me the tour was really helpful too.:love:

I definitely want our class to be just like the one at PCSOM. I want us all to help each other out and be one big, happy family.:biglove: :banana: :biglove: :banana:

LOL! That was about the only thing that I liked at PCSOM. (Well, that and the free stuff....sorry!) They were a very close-knit group of students. That definitely was very obvious at my interview there. The guy who gave me the tour was really helpful too.:love:

I definitely want our class to be just like the one at PCSOM. I want us all to help each other out and be one big, happy family.:biglove: :banana: :biglove: :banana:

Sounds good to me :banana:

I think we all are a big happy family already :love: :love:

We all have had only each other to bounce questions off of...we don't have anyone else to ask but other classmates( I make it sound like i am the one attending the school)

I think we all are a big happy family already :love: :love:

We all have had only each other to bounce questions off of...we don't have anyone else to ask but other classmates( I make it sound like i am the one attending the school)

:biglove: :banana: :biglove: :banana: WOOT!!!!:clap: :love: :hardy:

In the spirit of "sharing" that permeates this thread, I thought I'd post this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHyZObg6tv0[/youtube]

I wanna know what you all do if you have a day to do NOTHING....like I have today. I finished a Physics II test about 11:30 and just came home, mowed the yard, relaxed, mowed the neighbors yard, and have been having some beers and just chilling listening to baseball since. I love good spring weather. You can't beat no clouds and 75 degrees.

We're headed to Knoxville to interview and house shop the weekend of May 4th! :D

I wanna know what you all do if you have a day to do NOTHING....like I have today. I finished a Physics II test about 11:30 and just came home, mowed the yard, relaxed, mowed the neighbors yard, and have been having some beers and just chilling listening to baseball since. I love good spring weather. You can't beat no clouds and 75 degrees.

We're headed to Knoxville to interview and house shop the weekend of May 4th! :D

I hope you're my neighbor someday. Feel free to mow the lawn anytime!! :laugh: :D

Good luck house hunting and interviewing. :luck:

I would do exactly as you did...minus the mowing the grass parts :cool:

I never get a day like that!!!:( :laugh: Those lazy days are long gone once you have kids. If I did get a day like that, I think I would just lie on the couch and sleep all day.:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Good luck with the interview and the house!:luck:

I took Kaplan and got a 13 on my first diag. I was freaking out, and starting looking into podiatry school instead of med school. Luckily, I did as many practice tests as I could during the summer before I took it, and I suppose it paid off. My advice for the MCAT is to do as many problems as possible - they seem to have the same format and this trully helped come test day.

Thats great that you improved your score. Kaplan seems to work out for many people. I would like to add that Podiatry schools usually have a MCAT average around a 23.

Everyone reads this thread...no comment is safe, even the most innocent! :smuggrin:

Play as much golf as I possibly could. There is nothing better than golfing with your buddies when it is so beautiful outside. Definately a 36 hole kind of day. :cool:

It is gonna be 78 and sunny here in Knoxville today -80 tomorrow! We are hitting the lake for kayaking and a picnic. :cool:

I never get a day like that!!!:( :laugh: Those lazy days are long gone once you have kids. If I did get a day like that, I think I would just lie on the couch and sleep all day.:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Good luck with the interview and the house!:luck:

See, you've just got to do what my mom did. Have enough kids and space them far enough apart so that when the time comes, the older ones can watch the little ones and do the chores. Then when the little ones get bigger and the older ones have jobs or have graudated and moved out, you still have the little ones to clean! It worked out great for her! :laugh:

Right, minus the insanity of trying to keep an eye on 7 kids. :smuggrin:

Oh, and 77 here and sunny in PA! WOOHOO!

Play as much golf as I possibly could. There is nothing better than golfing with your buddies when it is so beautiful outside. Definately a 36 hole kind of day. :cool:

I used to do just this...when I lived somewhere where I had anything in common with anyone near my age! :)

Since moving to St. Joe, I've hardly golfed, and I used to play 4-5 times a week.

I used to do just this...when I lived somewhere where I had anything in common with anyone near my age! :)

Since moving to St. Joe, I've hardly golfed, and I used to play 4-5 times a week.

Well, we need to have a golf club. I think there would actually be a ton of students and even faculty that would join. What would be cool is if we had a LMU-DCOM annual golf tourney to raise money for the free clinic, etc. (NASCAR has already mentioned this). We could get the whole community involved. This would be a cool and way fun thing.

See, you've just got to do what my mom did. Have enough kids and space them far enough apart so that when the time comes, the older ones can watch the little ones and do the chores. Then when the little ones get bigger and the older ones have jobs or have graudated and moved out, you still have the little ones to clean! It worked out great for her! :laugh:

Right, minus the insanity of trying to keep an eye on 7 kids. :smuggrin:

Oh, and 77 here and sunny in PA! WOOHOO!

LOL! No, that's ok. I have my hands full with the ones I have now.:laugh:

I doubt it would change that much!

I did hear that they were holding some seats for TNers who were being interviewed late, but this could be rumor. Even if it was, I doubt that they are holding 50 seats!

Businessman, did you send your letters of intent? I hope you and Lala get in!!!

I just emailed Dr. Leo my letter of intent. Thanks so much for the help!!!

Well, we need to have a golf club. I think there would actually be a ton of students and even faculty that would join. What would be cool is if we had a LMU-DCOM annual golf tourney to raise money for the free clinic, etc. (NASCAR has already mentioned this). We could get the whole community involved. This would be a cool and way fun thing.

You know...if someone got the ball rolling now, I don't think it's too late to have an inaugural tournament in the fall. Personally, I think the spring is a better time of year for tournaments, but I think it would be a good way to further involve the community in kicking off the school.

Also, the Sunday after the white coat ceremony may be a good time to have a tournament. I'm sure some family members would be interested in playing in a scramble with their kid who now "officially" has a lab coat. I'd be willing to help plan the tournament, get sponsors (ie. budweiser :D ), etc.

Just some thoughts

You know...if someone got the ball rolling now, I don't think it's too late to have an inaugural tournament in the fall. Personally, I think the spring is a better time of year for tournaments, but I think it would be a good way to further involve the community in kicking off the school.

Also, the Sunday after the white coat ceremony may be a good time to have a tournament. I'm sure some family members would be interested in playing in a scramble with their kid who now "officially" has a lab coat. I'd be willing to help plan the tournament, get sponsors (ie. budweiser :D ), etc.

Just some thoughts

Interesting ideas there Seger. A golf club and tourney will definately happen.

What a beautiful day it was here in Chicago. Almost 80 degrees, great baseball games, and Jeff Gordon won the race out in Phoenix!!! He has now tied Dlae Earnhardt with 76 wins. SWEEEET!!! :banana:

Hey Businessman, did you hear back from Dr. Leo? I emailed him just the same, but did not hear back- I'm sure he got it but is super busy right now...just curious.

:luck: Good luck, and you are welcome :luck:

I doubt you will hear from him today because it is 82 and not a cloud in the sky, but hopefully you will hear from him Monday!

Isn't it nice in K-town today? I went and watched our Lady Vols softball team massacre Auburn. Now, however, I'm forcing myself to study in the library. :wow: As you can see it's going very well. :barf: :bullcrap:

:laugh: :laugh: Yeah, sdn happens when I study too. It has been a beeeeeautiful day! This, in my opinion, is perfect weather. Are you glad this is the last week of classes, or what?

Are you glad this is the last week of classes, or what?
You have no idea. None of the classes Im taking this semester and only one from last semester have anything to do with med. school. Since I already had my degree (Psychology) and all other pre-reqs I only had to have physics 2 (222 here at UT). I took all the other science classes last semester and this semester to help get prepared for med school and I did quite well until I got accepted. Now Im having trouble studying since the classes dont even have anything to do with my degree! Long story short. Yes, I am extremely overjoyed at the thought of being done for the summer. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

:laugh: :laugh: I know how you feel. I can't wait to be done with orgo 2.:sleep: It is actually not a bad class. I really like my professor. He makes it interesting and lab is actually fun, but I just want to pack up and move to TN now. I can't wait for classes to start! I check that count down everyday. As of right now, there are 100 Days, 11 Hours, 30 Minutes, 59 Seconds...until August 1, 2007.:D :thumbup: :biglove:

You have no idea. None of the classes Im taking this semester and only one from last semester have anything to do with med. school. Since I already had my degree (Psychology) and all other pre-reqs I only had to have physics 2 (222 here at UT). I took all the other science classes last semester and this semester to help get prepared for med school and I did quite well until I got accepted. Now Im having trouble studying since the classes dont even have anything to do with my degree! Long story short. Yes, I am extremely overjoyed at the thought of being done for the summer. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I am doing as little as possible in my classes and my grades are showing it, but I don't really care. I just want it to be over!!!!!!

When you submit classes yet to be taken with your transcripts, it's automatically considered as an "agreement" / expected that you will perform as well as you have been. Worst case scenario is if you drop a science class which you have told DCOM you're planning on taking. Rumor is students have had offer letter withdrawn :( :( over it (NOT at DCOM).:)

All I'm saying is don't do anything stupid.
Relax :sleep: :sleep: ? Of cource !!
Don't sweat getting an A if you don't care....
If you're GPA is (like mine:rolleyes: ) not your strongest suit I would not play too "fast and loose" with your remaining classes.

My $0.02 worth.

I've been trying pretty hard to do as well as I could in this Physics II class I'm taking online, but it's been pretty difficult. The prof basically gave us the book we needed, a syllabus, some suggested problems (no solutions), and mails the tests to my proctor for me to take...absolutely no help whatsoever.

The at home labs have been pretty easy, but prepping for the tests has been brutal. I'm hoping to keep a B.

One more test to go...and done.

I know next fall will be much more difficult/demanding, but at least I will have the professors available for feedback and guidance...which is nice to know...I've thrived the last couple of years taking pre-req's with good professors.

Everything says C and up....but I will not be getting any Cs. My grades have just fallen from A, A, A, B to A, B, B, B -Thanks for the concern. I'm am too neurotic for it to fall any lower.

Plus, according to the DCOM handbook or letter (I can't remember which), you are contracted to fulfill anything (stipulations) said in your acceptance letter. I will not have a degree at matriculation (~90 hrs), so I am not working towards graduation and there are not stipulations. Thank goodness! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Really? You don't have a degree yet?

Nope. Most schools do not require one, only 90 hrs or so. I was actually encouraged by the Asst. Dean of Quillen College of Medicine (ETSU) a couple of years ago to apply a year early. And then this application cycle, my advisor pushed me again to go ahead and take the MCAT and apply. Though my MCAT was not competitive for allopathic schools, it was plenty for DO schools (with which I was happy). I did have a very good gpa, excellent LORs (inorg. chem assoc. prof, respected Org Chem Prof, and Bus. Comm Prof (lawyer), Plus an MD (Peds Mentor) and DO), and lots of EC and leadership (mostly kids and church related). Oh, another thing that really struck the interviewers was that I proved I could handle the rigors of 4 children and a full course load (I carried around 18 hrs a semester). At every interview, someone mentioned that.

So, though I hear it is rare, it is possible. I was invited for interviews at LECOM-B (declined), LECOM-E (went, accepted, withdrew), LMU-DCOM (went, accepted), PCOM-GA (went, waitlisted), WVSOM (went, accepted, withdrew), NSU (declined). After I was accepted to DCOM, I withdrew from my interviews at LECOM-B and NSU. I almost did at WVSOM, but at the last minute decided to go. The key is to read, read, read. Find out everything you can about the school before you fill out your secondaries!

I can send you my stats and personal statement if you PM me, if you are interested in this route. :)

Hey Businessman, did you hear back from Dr. Leo? I emailed him just the same, but did not hear back- I'm sure he got it but is super busy right now...just curious.

I just received an email from Dr. Leo thanking me for sending it and letting me know he would forward it onto the admissions committee.

Status
Not open for further replies.