DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine: Part 5....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care about the rotation too much, though it will be nice to have a little variation..always being in the late group would probably get old...but I think being in the late group will be beneficial to me...allowing time for a workout/studying, etc..

I plan to be on campus until about 4:30-5 every day anyway...because once I go home, too many distractions.

Evansville? I studied at Harlaxton with a bunch of folks from Evansville U.

Members don't see this ad.

Uuuhhh yeah. I definately would like the earlier group, matter of fact I was hoping those of us with kids would have priority into it. :thumbup: I really do not want to rotate, that would make things unnecessarily complicated! :thumbdown: (no offense to those who would prefer the rotation)

I wouldn't mind those with kiddos getting priority - makes sense to me. Hopefully those who are married and have a mortgage will have a priority with rotations too. Maybe the Mrs. and I should have a little Nascar to get all these priorities :idea: :eek:

DocMom, maybe we should e-mail Dr. Leo and plead our case. I know there are several other people with kids and they would all benifit.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't care about the rotation too much, though it will be nice to have a little variation..always being in the late group would probably get old...but I think being in the late group will be beneficial to me...allowing time for a workout/studying, etc..

I plan to be on campus until about 4:30-5 every day anyway...because once I go home, too many distractions.

Evansville? I studied at Harlaxton with a bunch of folks from Evansville U.

AMEN to that. I plan on being on campus late as well, perhaps 7-ish. I don't study well at home. I can always find something obscure to do in order not to study, especially this semester. Worst decision I made was taking classes this semester. I dropped the one and am so not motivated for the other - just too much going on. Live and learn i guess.

Uuuhhh yeah. I definately would like the earlier group, matter of fact I was hoping those of us with kids would have priority into it. :thumbup: I really do not want to rotate, that would make things unnecessarily complicated! :thumbdown: (no offense to those who would prefer the rotation)

I KNOW! Me too! The earlier group would be perfect! Maybe we can start a mom's petition.:D :thumbup:

AMEN to that. I plan on being on campus late as well, perhaps 7-ish. I don't study well at home. I can always find something obscure to do in order not to study, especially this semester. Worst decision I made was taking classes this semester. I dropped the one and am so not motivated for the other - just too much going on. Live and learn i guess.

I hear that. I had a full course load but once I knew I was in to med school, I droped one. So I still have 10 hrs but I am NOT motivated. I just want to focus on my kids (before I won't be able to spend as much time with them) and get the house ready to sell. :thumbup:

I can't wait till classes are over...May 8 is my last final.:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

DocMom, maybe we should e-mail Dr. Leo and plead our case. I know there are several other people with kids and they would all benifit.

We can try, but I think that we are definitely the minority. I doubt that they would change everything for us.:oops: We will figure it out somehow.

I know I don't have kids yet...but hope to in the next few years.

Just because you have kids should not give you any special exemptions when compared with your classmates. We all have priorities...

I mean, DocMom might have to get home to feed the horse on occasion too! :)

It would be nice to lock in rotations since we plan to buy a house, but hopefully there are enough rotations in the Knoxville area that I can easily commute to any of them, even if I don't get my first choice.

Just because you have kids should not give you any special exemptions when compared with your classmates. We all have priorities...

It would be nice to lock in rotations since we plan to buy a house, but hopefully there are enough rotations in the Knoxville area that I can easily commute to any of them, even if I don't get my first choice.

I agree with what you said, but we are not talking about those rotations. We are talking about rotating the lab schedule the first two years. I do not think locking it and asking for the first time block is special treatment. But, that is my opinion.

I feel like it would be ideal to have labs in the morning and have lectures divided between morn and evening. Then we could grab the lecture we missed (if necessary) online. :)

I would rather stick with rotating it. (No offense to those who have kids)

Parents are not the only individuals with lives. Besides, there is probably a second parent to take care of the children. Those of our class that do not have children still have "Life" that happens as well, appointments and such.

If the schedule rotates, when appointments not related to school need to be scheduled, a day in which the student gets out of classes at 3:00 can be chosen.

It is difficult to run and take care of appointments during the three or so hours of downtime that there might be prior to labs beginning.

So rotating the schedule seems like the most logical plan.

Parent are not the only individuals with lives. Besides, there is probably a second parent to take care of the children. Those of our class that do not have children still have "Life" that happens as well, appointments and such.

If the schedule rotates, when appointments not related to school need to be scheduled, a day in which the student gets out of classes at 3:00 can be chosen.

It is difficult to run and take care of appointments during the three or so hours of downtime that there might be prior to labs beginning.

Amen! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Parents are not the only individuals with lives. Besides, there is probably a second parent to take care of the children. Those of our class that do not have children still have "Life" that happens as well, appointments and such.

Well, that second parent has to work, so he is not much help. But, I do agree with you and everyone else. It isn't fair to make exceptions for certain people. It is the best interest of fairness to have the schedule rotate. But, that does REALLY complicate things for those of us with kids.:scared: Like I said though, I will work it out somehow. I always do. :D

I can't wait for little MJB and little nascar!!!!:biglove: :biglove:

I agree with what you said, but we are not talking about those rotations. We are talking about rotating the lab schedule the first two years. I do not think locking it and asking for the first time block is special treatment. But, that is my opinion.

That's what I'm talking about as well. Again, I'm not a parent, but hope to be sooner than later, and it will be my choice to have that child (or children) and I will have to adjust to accomodate that choice. It would not be fair of me to ask for special treatment/scheduling because of choices I made...Yes, that's just my opinion. ;)

Everyone has responsibilities regardless of whether they have kids or not...we're all going to have to adjust to keep up with our obligations in both our personal lives and professional lives as we start school. I'm sure it will be an adjustment for everyone.

I think the best way to do it (and how I plan to do it) is to just plan on being on campus from 8-5, minimum on a daily basis...just like a full time job.

Well, that second parent has to work, so he is not much help. But, I do agree with you and everyone else. It isn't fair to make exceptions for certain people. It is the best interest of fairness to have the schedule rotate. But, that does REALLY complicate things for those of us with kids.:scared: Like I said though, I will work it out somehow. I always do. :D

I do like the rotations too, they will be nice. On those early weeks, more time with the wife, which is always good.

I can't wait for little MJB and little nascar!!!!:biglove: :biglove:

Me neither, but it will have to wait a couple years. But I imagine it will happen while at DCOM. We both want to have our first child before 30.

That's what I'm talking about as well. Again, I'm not a parent, but hope to be sooner than later, and it will be my choice to have that child (or children) and I will have to adjust to accomodate that choice. It would not be fair of me to ask for special treatment/scheduling because of choices I made...Yes, that's just my opinion. ;)

Everyone has responsibilities regardless of whether they have kids or not...we're all going to have to adjust to keep up with our obligations in both our personal lives and professional lives as we start school. I'm sure it will be an adjustment for everyone.

I think the best way to do it (and how I plan to do it) is to just plan on being on campus from 8-5, minimum on a daily basis...just like a full time job.

Nicely said MJB :thumbup:

See, we're trying to figure out how we're going to deal with letting the dogs out while both of us are at work/school. I've been able to go home over lunch and let them out for the past several years...but won't be able to during school.

We all have worries. :)

See, we're trying to figure out how we're going to deal with letting the dogs out while both of us are at work/school. I've been able to go home over lunch and let them out for the past several years...but won't be able to during school.

Well, you can actually go home and let them out. The 3-5 days you can go after lecture and the 1-3 days you can go when you are done. It will all work out. I am just going to have to find an after school program for my kids or a babysitter. The two youngest are in the daycare at LMU and they are open until 5:30, so that isn't an issue. I don't think that it is unreasonable to be on campus from 9-5. It is just that the schools let out earlier than that. But, things always have a way of working themselves out. I have faith that they will. I made it this far already.:thumbup:

Well, you can actually go home and let them out. The 3-5 days you can go after lecture and the 1-3 days you can go when you are done. It will all work out. I am just going to have to find an after school program for my kids or a babysitter. The two youngest are in the daycare at LMU and they are open until 5:30, so that isn't an issue. But, things always have a way of working themselves out

:thumbup: :)

I KNOW! Me too! The earlier group would be perfect! Maybe we can start a mom's petition.:D :thumbup:

I hope I have to worry about this next year!

I think the ideal solution would be for the school to assign everyone to the groups and rotate them, but allow students to trade their seat. For instance, I would prefer the evening lab because it would force me to study in the afternoons. If I "partnered" up with Docmom then the seats would be a wash. This would allow students some flexibility while maintaining a predictable attendance for each lab. It's a similar approach to trading rotation assignments.

I think the ideal solution would be for the school to assign everyone to the groups and rotate them, but allow students to trade their seat. For instance, I would prefer the evening lab because it would force me to study in the afternoons. If I "partnered" up with Docmom then the seats would be a wash. This would allow students some flexibility while maintaining a predictable attendance for each lab. It's a similar approach to trading rotation assignments.

Great! Hopefully you get in and we can trade our spots!:laugh: :thumbup:

Hey, has anyone thought about moving on to the class threads to discuss stuff like this?

I agree DocMom...things have a way of working out.

No one ever posts in the class thread. This thread has become a bit of everything.:D

I think the alternating rotaions will give everyone a chance to enjoy the benefits of both. Appointments can be made when necessary, since you will know when you have the time. As long as we know what schedule we are on, I think everything will be normal.

However, I encourage everyone to continue to voice your/our opinions. This is a new school, and we have the ability to shape what we do here. The classes behind us will be modeled after our performances...lets not be shy!

Great idea. Perfect solution. :bow: :banana:

No one ever posts in the class thread. This thread has become a bit of everything.:D

I think that this is why this thread has never been moved to the class threads. There is so much we don't know and are figuring out that it is both relevant to us and those applying for Class of 2012 b/c I am sure they have the same questions we do. Yeah, there is some :bullcrap: in here, but there still is a ton of info for anyone looking into DCOM.

Great idea. Perfect solution. :bow: :banana:

I think that this is why this thread has never been moved to the class threads. There is so much we don't know and are figuring out that it is both relevant to us and those applying for Class of 2012 b/c I am sure they have the same questions we do. Yeah, there is some :bullcrap: in here, but there still is a ton of info for anyone looking into DCOM.

LOL! Yea, if you dig through the :bullcrap: there is a lot of useful info here.:thumbup:

Touro NY is doing the same thing...so we aren't the only weird ones :smuggrin:

Well that conversation sure got a few in a fuss. As I said, rotating the lab sections would be the fairest way, but it doesn't change that fact that it would be easier for those of us with kids to have a set schedule.

I think the Seger has the right idea. Out of 150 students, there may be some who would prefer the late afternoon session just as there are some who would prefer the early afternoon session.

As DocMom said, we will be able to work things out or we wouldn't be at the point we are in our lives. We have proven that there is enough time in a day to go to get the 4 kids up, kids dressed, breakfast, make lunches, shower, dress ourselves, get them to school, take ourselves to school, go to class, study, get the kids, do their homework, do our homework, make dinner, do the dishes, bathe everyone, read good night stories, study some more, pick up the house, clean the toliets, do a load or two of laundry, study some more, and sleep for 5 hrs...start all over! Hummm, I forgot the spouse in there somewhere, but you get the point. If anyone of us can organize their time, it will be those of us with kids. It just is nice sometimes to have things a little more schedule freindly.

I agree...that's why I'm glad it appears they are going to have a fairly set schedule for us...and we'll know what we're doing ahead of time for the most part.

This will be in stark contrast to my wife's nursing education, which was totally whacked out.

FWIW, when I interviewed, they laid out the day something like

8:30-11:30 Lecture
11:30-12:30 Lunch
12:30-2:30 Group A
2:30-4:30 Group B

Working in the corporate world as a married non-parent, it has gotten a bit old hearing about how bad the parents have it (folks at our company), and some of them are militant about how they should get a different schedule than everyone else. :)

If they allow switches, that's probably the best solution.

I agree...that's why I'm glad it appears they are going to have a fairly set schedule for us...and we'll know what we're doing ahead of time for the most part.

This will be in stark contrast to my wife's nursing education, which was totally whacked out.

FWIW, when I interviewed, they laid out the day something like

8:30-11:30 Lecture
11:30-12:30 Lunch
12:30-2:30 Group A
2:30-4:30 Group B

Working in the corporate world as a married non-parent, it has gotten a bit old hearing about how bad the parents have it (folks at our company), and some of them are militant about how they should get a different schedule than everyone else. :)

If they allow switches, that's probably the best solution.

That works better for me actually. Getting out at 4:30 would be much better. I hope that they do it that way. I don't think they even had a schedule when I interviewed, but I think I was in the second interview group.:D

If anyone at DCOM is reading this, I vote for the above schedule!

As DocMom said, we will be able to work things out or we wouldn't be at the point we are in our lives. We have proven that there is enough time in a day to go to get the 4 kids up, kids dressed, breakfast, make lunches, shower, dress ourselves, get them to school, take ourselves to school, go to class, study, get the kids, do their homework, do our homework, make dinner, do the dishes, bathe everyone, read good night stories, study some more, pick up the house, clean the toliets, do a load or two of laundry, study some more, and sleep for 5 hrs...start all over! Hummm, I forgot the spouse in there somewhere, but you get the point. If anyone of us can organize their time, it will be those of us with kids. It just is nice sometimes to have things a little more schedule freindly.

WOOT!!!!:clap: We are the queens of multi-tasking!:bow:

4:30 sounded pretty sweet to me as well.

It's not the schedule the first 2 years that concerns me as far as predictability...it's the 25-30 after that!:laugh:

Good point!:thumbup: :laugh:

4:30 sounded pretty sweet to me as well.

It's not the schedule the first 2 years that concerns me as far as predictability...it's the 25-30 after that!:laugh:

:laugh: Your right on that, but that we have absolutely no control over. For some reason that is almost easier to deal with. HaHa

After school, It certainly depends on what field you go into!

Well that conversation sure got a few in a fuss. As I said, rotating the lab sections would be the fairest way, but it doesn't change that fact that it would be easier for those of us with kids to have a set schedule.

I think the Seger has the right idea. Out of 150 students, there may be some who would prefer the late afternoon session just as there are some who would prefer the early afternoon session.

If you think studying for med school classes will be like studying for UG classes, sure, that may work. I sort of wonder where the husband is while you claim to be doing everything. I hardly think your husband is the "do-nothing but work" type ...

If you think studying for med school classes will be like studying for UG classes, sure, that may work. I sort of wonder where the husband is while you claim to be doing everything. I hardly think your husband is the "do-nothing but work" type ...

Her husband probably isn't lazy, but even in the most progressive marriages/relationships women tend to take on the lion's share of the "household work"

I'm going to make an effort to discuss class issues in the class thread... :)

I'm a rebel, I know. ;)

I will miss you guys if you stop posting here and move over to the class thread.

DoctorMoM, any word from Dr Leo or Dr Stower about starting that post-bacc or letting me, Dropkick and others "audit" classes? How about pleading our case to TPTB at DCOM? :p

Since I know the folks at DCOM are reading this, there are a handful of us who are committed to DCOM and would be willing to do this. :thumbup:

Her husband probably isn't lazy, but even in the most progressive marriages/relationships women tend to take on the lion's share of the "household work"

No, I love it when women claim to be doing everything when they have their husband's support. If they lived with a husband who truly did nothing and even made things and life more difficult, then I'd love to see how they find the time to post on here, purchase camcorders and farm animals, afford for their children to do gymnastics, and among other things, pursue medical school ... they don't exactly have the worst of lives and may even have better lives than most families ...

No, I love it when women claim to be doing everything when they have their husband's support. If they lived with a husband who truly did nothing and even made things and life more difficult, then I'd love to see how they find the time to post on here, purchase camcorders and farm animals, afford for their children to do gymnastics, and among other things, pursue medical school ... they don't exactly have the worst of lives and may even have better lives than most families ...

Well given DoctorMom's penchant for collecting farm animals, her husband is probably a saint. :lol:

From how they describe them, I think the ladies in this forum would all say they have husbands who are extremely supportive and do a great deal around the house. Even the married guys in this forum who will be attending DCOM have impressed me (Thumbs up to Nascar, MJB, Austin, Dadto4boys and Froggiepremed..:thumbup: )

Still even with a husband who is an angel, women take on a great deal. It's a modern dilemma for us modern women! :D

Ahhh! :eek: :eek: I think I was the start of all this rotating controversy!!

The only reason I like the idea of rotating is because I can't make up my mind if I would prefer the early or the late group! :laugh:

Ahhh! :eek: :eek: I think I was the start of all this rotating controversy!!

The only reason I like the idea of rotating is because I can't make up my mind if I would prefer the early or the late group! :laugh:

I saw we settle it with a goat tossing contest.

Heads... you get early, but you have to clean out DoctorMom's stable.

Tails... you get late and a free lunch with Dr I. :smuggrin:

Who bought a camcorder?:confused:

And honestly, I do ALL of the housework and 99% of the care of the children. Even when I was working and going to school full-time, I did most of it. I am too much of a control freak and I can't stand the way my husband cleans.:smuggrin: It's like they say, if you want something done right, do it yourself.:rolleyes: He is a good husband and a good father. He plays with the kids a lot, but most of the actual care is done by me. He does support me in a lot of ways, including financially and emotionally, but I do the vast majority of the "work" myself. Always have, always will. :D :thumbup:

As for time to post on SDN, I have virtually no life aside from cleaning and being a mom. I am only taking orgo 2 now. So, I have plenty of moments where the kids are sleeping or busy with something and when I am taking a break from cleaning or studying to post on SDN. :p

Let's not get into a flame war about each half and their imput. I def. know my wife does way more than I do - she is the saint!

Thanks for the thought sunny:D

DoctorMom,

did you read my post (#391)???

:love:

Well given DoctorMom's penchant for collecting farm animals, her husband is probably a saint. :lol:

From how they describe them, I think the ladies in this forum would all say they have husbands who are extremely supportive and do a great deal around the house. Even the married guys in this forum who will be attending DCOM have impressed me (Thumbs up to Nascar, MJB, Austin, Dadto4boys and Froggiepremed..:thumbup: )

Still even with a husband who is an angel, women take on a great deal. It's a modern dilemma for us modern women! :D

LMAO! It isn't just the farm animals. I am actually quite difficult to live with. I am a total control freak, very opinonated, and very demanding. So, yes, he has to put up with a lot from me. He is a good man!:love:

How about getting a doggy door? :)
I love pets, but I would spend the extra time to drive home when I could be studying or sleeping.:sleep:

Status
Not open for further replies.