Debusk College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn girl, don't you already have enough to deal with! You have what... 3 or 4 kids, and don't you already have cats and dogs... wow... you sure do like to stay busy! You know, I must hand it to you.... to be married and with kids and still managed to get into med school... wow!!! Im single, no kids, no dogs or cats and still it was hard to get in... you are my hero!

Let me tell you my story when I interviewed at DCOM! Off topic but oh well! So i left San Antonio at 630am to Chicago. Next flight to Knoxville was at 10 and I would land at around 1230pm. So I figured I would have lots of time to check out the school and city the day before the interview! So when I get to Chicago, the dumba$$ United employee at the gate tells us our flight has been delayed to 11am. Then he tells me its been delayed til 2:45pm. So at 2:30 I ask him what the deal on the flight is. So he check the flight number again and tells me "oops, im sorry, that flight left at 11am!!!" HOLY ****! so im freaking out!

So i tell him, well get me on another flight, i need to be in Knoxville today, i have a med school interview in the morning! He says, "well our other two flights are completely full and there's other people on the waiting list too, so ur probably not gonna get there today! sorry, you shouldnt have missed your flight!!!" I wanted to kill him bc of him i missed the flighT! I asked him to see his supervisor and he said.."well they are just gonna tell you the same thing I am... too bad!" So I in panic start calling other airlines, and I booked with AA for a flight at 8pm to Knoxville, however, that cost me $470. YEAH, THAT SUCKED!

So after being completely bent over and gotten it hard by UNITED, I finally get to Knoxville at 11pm... I go and get my rental and the lady says..."would you like the 12 people van or the Dodge Caravan???" Now im thinking, "Bi*ch, just surprise me ok!!!" COULD THIS GET ANY WORSE!?

So I get in my awesome minivan and I get on the highway which is completely backed up due to construction. Im stuck there for about an hour. It was midnight and hadnt left Knoxville yet and my interview was in 8 hrs. I finally get to the hotel in Middlesbore at 2am. I quickly get ready for bed and keep hearing music from the next room. A party was going on! So i slept about 2 hrs and I was still the first one to get to the library. It was a trip from hell!!! Good thing I got accepted!

Total cost to interview at DCOM: $1200
Getting ACCEPTED to DCOM: Priceless!!!!

LOLOL can our stories be any similar..i mean i went through the same situation. Due to all kind of flight delays i ended up reaching knoxville at 1.am in the morning. Then driving from there to my hotel took me about 2 hours, giving me 5 hours exact before my interview. Coincidentally i slept 2 hours as well but when i did wake up all i told myself is if i dont get accepted i am going to kill someone. Fortunately inspite of being 10 mins late to my interview, i was accepted. Overall it was an amazing day..however i will never forget driving that night esp coz i got a ticket:D

Members don't see this ad.

LOLOL can our stories be any similar..i mean i went through the same situation. Due to all kind of flight delays i ended up reaching knoxville at 1.am in the morning. Then driving from there to my hotel took me about 2 hours, giving me 5 hours exact before my interview. Coincidentally i slept 2 hours as well but when i did wake up all i told myself is if i dont get accepted i am going to kill someone. Fortunately inspite of being 10 mins late to my interview, i was accepted. Overall it was an amazing day..however i will never forget driving that night esp coz i got a ticket:D

hmm, i have to drive 5.5 hours, so luckily no airlines problems for me. but still, its gonna suck ... there better be updated road signs!!

You guys are starting to freak me out. I am supposed to leave for DCOM on Monday, but the town I'm flying out of is supposed to get snow and ice all weekend. I've already had nightmares about having my flight canceled and not getting there till who knows when. :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm, i have to drive 5.5 hours, so luckily no airlines problems for me. but still, its gonna suck ... there better be updated road signs!!

Dude, Inviz:

I would drive during the daytime if I was you. I was driving back to the airport after the interview, and it started to get dark (very few lights on highways/freeways) and I came around a bend and hit a deer. Good thing I got the insurance on the rental.:laugh:

I am so used to lights everywhere you drive, it was pretty freaky hitting a deer at 75mph.

Just drive safe, dude....none of this stuff:sleep: :sleep: while driving.

Dude, Inviz:

I would drive during the daytime if I was you. I was driving back to the airport after the interview, and it started to get dark (very few lights on highways/freeways) and I came around a bend and hit a deer. Good thing I got the insurance on the rental.:laugh:

I am so used to lights everywhere you drive, it was pretty freaky hitting a deer at 75mph.

Yeaa i def recommend driving under day light. It was a pain in the ass personally to drive in the dark..you will be so confused as to if you are going the right way or you are lost! Just an advice once you pass the court you have a 40 min drive to harrogate, make sure you dont speed..the cops are every where!

Austin, is rental insurance not covered under your personal auto policy?

I would drive it during the day...and all the 45mph through LaFollette was very hard to drive through without speeding.

Dude, Inviz:

ahh ****. ok, well, that means i must leave the day before ... hotels arent booked quickly within harrogate right? :laugh:

I don't think driving it at night would be that big of a deal, but doesn't allow you to appreciate the scenery and see everything...it's not a particularly dangerous drive or anything, coming from Knoxville.

I don't think driving it at night would be that big of a deal, but doesn't allow you to appreciate the scenery and see everything...it's not a particularly dangerous drive or anything, coming from Knoxville.

i could care less about the scenery. i'll see the scenery in the daytime during the interview/tour.

Dude, Inviz:

OMG!!! We hit a deer when I was a child and we were driving through Penn. Scary stuff!!! The last hour of our drive to Harrogate was in the dark and the rain. It was pretty scary because it is very dark and remote, but we were coming from North and 81. We were driving on this winding country road and there was NOTHING, no lights, no houses, no other cars...truly the middle of nowhere. Then, all of sudden there was this light and this small building with nothing around it. We drove closer and saw that it was a CHURCH!!! LOL! This is truly the Bible belt!!! Southerners take their religion seriously. But, I don't know who went to the church because there were no houses around it. I don't know what the drive is like from Knoxville. I am pretty sure that Mr. Carney told us at our interview that he commutes from right outside Knoxville everyday, so I guess it can't be that bad. Besides, I don't know if Dr. Inviz cares much about the scenery.:rolleyes: :smuggrin: :D :luck:

i could care less about the scenery. i'll see the scenery in the daytime during the interview/tour.

LOL! See!!! While I was making my post, you posted this...ha! I know you too well!!! :laugh: :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hearing about others getting to go up the mountain and see the overlook makes me kinda jealous...It was beautiful the day we got there, but the day of the interview was foggy and rainy...so there wouldn't have been much of a view so I assume that's why we didn't go...

Yeaa i def recommend driving under day light. It was a pain in the ass personally to drive in the dark..you will be so confused as to if you are going the right way or you are lost! Just an advice once you pass the court you have a 40 min drive to harrogate, make sure you dont speed..the cops are every where!

Yeah I agree, we drove in the dark and I was scaaaared. It is almost pitch black on these back roads. We had my GPS system but the roads weren't even on there!! So it would show us slowly driving off the road haha and we couldn't rely on it really.

and Lamborghini that sucks you got a ticket!! I remember you telling your story that day. Boo :thumbdown:

Austin, is rental insurance not covered under your personal auto policy?

I would drive it during the day...and all the 45mph through LaFollette was very hard to drive through without speeding.

Sometimes, yes.....but you have to go through your policy with a fine tooth comb to make sure that you are totally covered.

Hearing about others getting to go up the mountain and see the overlook makes me kinda jealous...It was beautiful the day we got there, but the day of the interview was foggy and rainy...so there wouldn't have been much of a view so I assume that's why we didn't go...

I have seen pictures of the view. My husband went up there while I was interviewing. I didn't get to go, but I have heard it is unbelievable. I can't believe that I am going to get to live in an area that is so beautiful!!! I think we are planning on going down the week of February 19 and then again in a week in April if we haven't found a house by then. I will try to take as many pictures as possible to share with you all. BTW, Ema started a DCOM group on Facebook and we have been posting pictures there. I don't know if you have an account there or not, but check it out. :)

Yeah I agree, we drove in the dark and I was scaaaared. It is almost pitch black on these back roads. We had my GPS system but the roads weren't even on there!! So it would show us slowly driving off the road haha and we couldn't rely on it really.

and Lamborghini that sucks you got a ticket!! I remember you telling your story that day. Boo :thumbdown:

I drove tired from Knoxville to Harrogate after a 16hr delayed flight! BUT I had my huge white van so I wasn't scareeeddd of nooo deeer!!!!

I drove tired from Knoxville to Harrogate after a 16hr delayed flight! BUT I had my huge white van so I wasn't scareeeddd of nooo deeer!!!!

Dude Super, your huge, 24 passenger van story made me laugh (well, just the part where you only had a choice between a mega huge van and a huge van).:laugh:

I am telling you, look at all the semi-trucks over there, most of them have huge ramming grills on the front of the trucks for this very reason, I imagine. I would have paid 100 bucks to see you behind the wheel of some huge van....LOL:laugh: :laugh:

hehe..so wat's gonna on with you lisa? You thinking DCOM or wat?

hehe..so wat's gonna on with you lisa? You thinking DCOM or wat?

I think shes skipping out on DCOM for LECOM-Erie, it may just be me though, from the appearance of her sig ;)

Hey All-
My DCOM deposit is due in a couple days, and after much thought, I'm declining my acceptance offer in the morning. DCOM was my first acceptance so I'm thankful of the school for wanting to give me a shot. It seems like its going to be a great school with great facilities, faculty, staff and students; just a little to far from home base. Good luck and congratulations!

......to the inaugural class!

Dude Super, your huge, 24 passenger van story made me laugh (well, just the part where you only had a choice between a mega huge van and a huge van).:laugh:

I am telling you, look at all the semi-trucks over there, most of them have huge ramming grills on the front of the trucks for this very reason, I imagine. I would have paid 100 bucks to see you behind the wheel of some huge van....LOL:laugh: :laugh:

The cool thing was that I was the only one with a van big enough to fit all the students and faculty to tour the school and town. So I said..."Hop on everyone, let daddy here take you for a ride!!!" I was fun!

No!! I splurged on my rental car and got GPS and it's a waste... I should have read this earlier. :(

ahh ****. ok, well, that means i must leave the day before ... hotels arent booked quickly within harrogate right? :laugh:

Actually I just called today and the HI is booked for all the month of January. No rooms for the 29th. :eek: :scared:

Back roads? These are highways! I can show you back roads! :)

Agreed, my home town has quite a few roads that are closed 6 months out of the year as they are deemed "too dangerous." It's true though, I don't even like driving them when they're not closed as I'm not in to dieing.

I have been to Harrogate twice so far and the Cumberland Gap Inn is a great place to stay. They have large clean rooms and is just a couple of minutes from the school. It is near the hotel/future apartments. The phone number is (423)869-9172.

Anybody interviewing on the 23rd? - thanks for the warnings about the drive! I will watch out for deer (although I do live in TX, and have never hit one):D

The cool thing was that I was the only one with a van big enough to fit all the students and faculty to tour the school and town. So I said..."Hop on everyone, let daddy here take you for a ride!!!" I was fun!

Thats funny, Bro.......

I got myself a good laugh out of that one..:laugh:

Good luck to everyone interviewing these next few weeks. Some fun interview questions have been:

What book are you reading now?
Describe your communication skills?
What do you do to release stress?
Why medicine? Why DO? Why DCOM? etc.
Where do you see yourself in 5/10/etc years?
So, let's talk E. coli physiology... (this was directed to me specifically, I doubt you'll get it).

There's a few to think about; note the 'whys' and the 'stress' questions, they were common for everyone at my interview date.

Good luck to everyone interviewing these next few weeks. Some fun interview questions have been:

What book are you reading now?
Describe your communication skills?
What do you do to release stress?
Why medicine? Why DO? Why DCOM? etc.
Where do you see yourself in 5/10/etc years?
So, let's talk E. coli physiology... (this was directed to me specifically, I doubt you'll get it).

There's a few to think about; note the 'whys' and the 'stress' questions, they were common for everyone at my interview date.

damn, i am not reading a book currently ... havent since jr high.

I have been to Harrogate twice so far and the Cumberland Gap Inn is a great place to stay. They have large clean rooms and is just a couple of minutes from the school. It is near the hotel/future apartments. The phone number is (423)869-9172.

Oh great. You know off hand how much it is a night?

The Cumberland Gap Inn was $65.00 when I went to Interview. It was $78.56 the second time I went. I think you are supposed to get a discount if you are their for an interview. The rooms are quite nice though.

I have been starting to seriously look for a house and for a job for my husband. I came across this site: http://www.knoxnews.com/ It is the paper for the Knoxville area and they have a great job and real estate search. Just click on jobs, homes, etc. :D

I have been starting to seriously look for a house and for a job for my husband. I came across this site: http://www.knoxnews.com/ It is the paper for the Knoxville area and they have a great job and real estate search. Just click on jobs, homes, etc. :D

Yo Docmom,

What kind of work is your husband looking for? I will keep my feelers out for you.....

Yo Docmom,

What kind of work is your husband looking for? I will keep my feelers out for you.....

Some sort of management in restaurant or food service. Thanks!

I have a question for you actually. I am not sure how far you are from Harrogate, but we are all the way in New York. I am trying to figure out how to get enough time to get down there to look for a house. How are you handling this? I can check out a lot of stuff online, but we will probably only be able to get down there once, maybe twice before it is time to move. What if we don't find a place?!?!:eek: :)

Thanks! I will check it out!:D

Cracker Barrel might also have openings I know they have locations in TN.

Has he considered getting a Job at LMU? Check and see which company has the food service contract for the college. He might get a sweet manager gig that way with good hours/vacation.

I think its Sodexho.

Cracker Barrel might also have oepings. I know they have locations in TN.

Has he considered getting a Job at LMU? Check and see which company has the food service contract for the college. He might get a sweet manager gig that way with good hours/vacation.

I think its Sodexho.

We already tried that. I thought he might be able to run the new cafe or something. He apparently is really overqualified for anything they have there. Oh well. BTW, it is Sodexho. Thanks anyway.:)

We already tried that. I thought he might be able to run the new cafe or something. He apparently is really overqualified for anything they have there. Oh well. BTW, it is Sodexho. Thanks anyway.:)

That sucks.

Well maybe he can become a stay-at home dad since you will get loans! Or you can buy a duplex/triplex/fourplex, rent out the other units and he can be a stay-at-home-dad AND handyman.

He better get used to being a kept man with you being a doctor. Rural medicine pays decent if you find some tiny community hospital that REALLY wants/needs a good doctor! :laugh:

Shoot, that sounds like a SWEET gig! I may have to reconsider ATTENDING DCOM and just MARRY someone already accepted. I'm good with money (investments) can cook and keep a tidy house so we'd be rich and well-fed! :D

I have a question for you actually. I am not sure how far you are from Harrogate, but we are all the way in New York. I am trying to figure out how to get enough time to get down there to look for a house. How are you handling this? I can check out a lot of stuff online, but we will probably only be able to get down there once, maybe twice before it is time to move. What if we don't find a place?!?!:eek: :)

I am the one taking care of it, kinda. My wife is a real estate agent here, and so with her help, we have singled out a bunch of potential homes in many areas surrounding the school. I dont want to have a commute to and from school, but 10-20 miles isnt bad. We live in Northern Utah, 1800 miles from Harrogate. We are going the end of March to look at homes with this agent, and will make an offer while we are there. We cant deal with going out numerous times.

I would suggest contacting your agent that you are working with and make sure he/she gives you tons of stuff to look at. I would spend atleast 2 or 3 days looking at stuff, in Tenn/Ky. Once you know that you are interested in a home, you can go back and spend more time during your trip. This way, you wont wonder if there wasnt something better available that you might have missed.

Hope it works out for you.....let me know if you have any more questions.

DocMom:

Have you heard of Krystal Hamburgers? They have a restaurant in Middlesboro. I looked on their website, at the very bottom, under careers in Management. Check it out, http://krystal.com/ :thumbup:

Its a really nice place, total franchise business so pretty good pay and benefits, etc.

I think I am going to have to do the same if I get accepted at DCOM - - but we are in kind of a weird situation. My husband got laid off from Citi (well, not really laid off ... they outsourced the whole mortgage division's IT department...) and as a result he took this as an opportunity to also go back to school. (Who needs money anyway? :rolleyes:) Anyhow, the plan is where ever I wind up, he'll transfer schools and look for a part-time job. My concern is whether he'll be able to find anything halfway decent near Harrogate. (Unless, of course, he wants full time. DCOM is hiring! :laugh: ) I suppose it doesn't have to be IT... after all, he actually started as a teller years and years ago, but something semi-respectable would be nice. If anyone hears of anything or has any ideas about where he should look or what he might consider, please let me know!! I don't know the area so I haven't the faintest idea where to even start. It's really frustrating. :confused:

I think I am going to have to do the same if I get accepted at DCOM - - but we are in kind of a weird situation. My husband got laid off from Citi (well, not really laid off ... they outsourced the whole mortgage division's IT department...) and as a result he took this as an opportunity to also go back to school. (Who needs money anyway? :rolleyes:) Anyhow, the plan is where ever I wind up, he'll transfer schools and look for a part-time job. My concern is whether he'll be able to find anything halfway decent near Harrogate. (Unless, of course, he wants full time. DCOM is hiring! :laugh: ) I suppose it doesn't have to be IT... after all, he actually started as a teller years and years ago, but something semi-respectable would be nice. If anyone hears of anything or has any ideas about where he should look or what he might consider, please let me know!! I don't know the area so I haven't the faintest idea where to even start. It's really frustrating. :confused:

Hey MomG:

Dont worry too much about work for your hubby. Look at it this way, worst case scenario, Knoxville is only 45-60 min away, and I know that there are many places for work nearer harrogate. If you look, I am sure that he will find a whole bunch of stuff. He sounds really qualified so I am sure there will be plenty of opportunities.

http://jobs.careerbuilder.com/jobse...9f330a71d248f2a6eddc401a68a514-221871821-VC-4

http://www.knoxcareers.com/

http://www.londonky.com/cgi-local/c...&category=Employment&results_format=headlines

I think shes skipping out on DCOM for LECOM-Erie, it may just be me though, from the appearance of her sig ;)

So far I have picked LECOM over DCOM. I loved my day there and the people there, but LECOM is 3 hours closer (I am in MD) and I really would like to have older students around. Mostly though the area around TN, though beautiful, has nothing haha....and my boyfriend needs to go to school/work.

Status
Not open for further replies.