Debusk College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No!! I splurged on my rental car and got GPS and it's a waste... I should have read this earlier. :(

Well I got my GPS sometime last May maybe, and I haven't updated it since then....but seriously in Middlesboro it didn't have our hotel, restaurants, etc...I mean it still helped a little but it just continuously showed us driving parallel to the road haha...just try not to do it at night.

Members don't see this ad.

So far I have picked LECOM over DCOM. I loved my day there and the people there, but LECOM is 3 hours closer (I am in MD) and I really would like to have older students around. Mostly though the area around TN, though beautiful, has nothing haha....and my boyfriend needs to go to school/work.

whoa ... im a genius ;):cool: :rolleyes:

Anyone know the hours for the Cumberland Gap Inn? I've tried calling a few times but I haven't been able to get anyone to answer the phone. :confused:

And just in case anyone is looking for rooms for this month:
-Holiday Inn is booked for all of January
-Ramada Inn does not exist
-Best Western is no longer a Best Western but something else (didn't catch the name). They have single rooms available for about $60/night.
-Cumberland Gap Inn: I don't really know, they never answered any of my 6 calls.

I found a list of the available lodging here: http://www.harrogate-tn.com/photo4.html

Members don't see this ad :)
Try 423-869-3996. I don't know if there numer has changed or what but this is the number my wife dialed to reach them. They other number I poted was off of the Harrogate and School websites. I think they live there and also take care of all of the rooms too, so they may not answer at certain times. I would try later today when they might be finished with the rooms, if that is what they are doing. You could always just show up to get a room, I don't think they are ever full. Good luck.

Did the HI Express happen to mention what's going on in town that it's booked all month?

'prolly med school interviews! They are in hog heaven with all the business.

Folks will ahve to look into building hotels in HHarrogate to support all the med students and families. Can you imagine graduation time with all the peopel trying to book rooms ?????

Maybe an enterprising spouse of a future med student shoud look into opening a hotel franchise in Harrogate! ;)

Did the HI Express happen to mention what's going on in town that it's booked all month?

No. I called and asked if they had a room for the 29th (interview on the 30th) and she said they had no rooms and in fact were just booked all month. I was too sad after that to ask any more questions...

Anyone know the hours for the Cumberland Gap Inn? I've tried calling a few times but I haven't been able to get anyone to answer the phone. :confused:

And just in case anyone is looking for rooms for this month:
-Holiday Inn is booked for all of January
-Ramada Inn does not exist
-Best Western is no longer a Best Western but something else (didn't catch the name). They have single rooms available for about $60/night.
-Cumberland Gap Inn: I don't really know, they never answered any of my 6 calls.

I found a list of the available lodging here: http://www.harrogate-tn.com/photo4.html

I called the Holiday Inn yesterday. DeBusk has blocked off rooms for interviews! they are not really full, but you have to mention the interview. They have a shuttle to the school and back. And the rate is pretty cheap too. Hope that helps!

I called the Holiday Inn yesterday. DeBusk has blocked off rooms for interviews! they are not really full, but you have to mention the interview. They have a shuttle to the school and back. And the rate is pretty cheap too. Hope that helps!

haha sweet! whats the phone # for the HI?

WHAT?!?!? I TOLD her that's why I was going!!!! BAH!! :mad:

ahhh snap. McD's ... where you at :rolleyes:

Pfft, forget McD's, like I said before, I'm sticking with Wendy's! :laugh:

Oh well, I've already got another place and it's only 2 min from the HI. Now my 4 min ride will be a 6 min drive. I think I can handle that.

Hi everyone! Any news on when they will begin to pull off the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, just found out I got an interview at DeBusk. Can anyone here give me advice on the interviews they have there? I am going to be interviewed by the Dean and the President. Has anyone on here been interviewed by them before? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

For those of you having a hard time arranging housing in Harrogate, I would highly recommend the Olde Mill Bed and Breakfast in Cumberland Gap. I stayed there during my recent interview and absolutely loved it. If you stay there, you are actually closer to the school than the folks that stay at the Holiday Inn, the prices are cheap, and the breakfast is fantastic. Their website is: http://www.bbonline.com/tn/oldemill/map.html The cheapest rooms are $65+tax.

For those of you having a hard time arranging housing in Harrogate, I would highly recommend the Olde Mill Bed and Breakfast in Cumberland Gap. I stayed there during my recent interview and absolutely loved it. If you stay there, you are actually closer to the school than the folks that stay at the Holiday Inn, the prices are cheap, and the breakfast is fantastic. Their website is: http://www.bbonline.com/tn/oldemill/map.html The cheapest rooms are $65+tax.

Ooohhh... I should cancel my current reservation and rent "The Suite" just for ****s and giggles. It'd be a nice, relaxing night before my interview. :D

Ooohhh... I should cancel my current reservation and rent "The Suite" just for ****s and giggles. It'd be a nice, relaxing night before my interview. :D

so wheres your current reservation at? lemme know if you keep or cancel and switch to The Suite ... may follow suit depending on what I do (leave the day b4 or the nite b4).

Just got my letter in the mail from LMU today. It felt nice opening it. Now to decide where I want to go, which seems to be the hardest decision. Hope some other people get some letters in the mail today or this weekend.

Hey all, just found out I got an interview at DeBusk. Can anyone here give me advice on the interviews they have there? I am going to be interviewed by the Dean and the President. Has anyone on here been interviewed by them before? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ya know, when I scheduled my interview with Jody, I didnt know who was going to interview me until the morning of the interview. I didnt know that Dr. Stowers did any of the interviews.

To answer your question, no.....I dont believe that Dr. Stowers has done any of the interviews, in the past, that is. I also didnt know that the President of LMU did any interviews. So basically, I cant answer your ? very well. I would go to the interview feedback section on SDN and check out all the information from each interview.......alot of students have posted some really good stuff regarding qustions, the school, faculty etc.

Good Luck......:thumbup:

DocMom:

Have you heard of Krystal Hamburgers? They have a restaurant in Middlesboro. I looked on their website, at the very bottom, under careers in Management. Check it out, http://krystal.com/ :thumbup:

Its a really nice place, total franchise business so pretty good pay and benefits, etc.

Thanks! I will definitely check it out. As for the houses, we are going to try to get down there soon to find a place. I found a really nice place in Middlesboro online, but it seems too good to be true. I heard that there are some areas that are not so good there. Also, no land. I want some land so I can have a horse or some chickens or something!:laugh:

:confused: :eek: I didn't know who was going to interview me until that day either. I also didn't know that Dr. Stowers did any of the interviews. Weird! As for the interview itself, it was really relaxed. Everyone is really wonderful there. Good luck!:luck:

Good news. I just turned down my seat at LMU, so there is one more seat available for those waiting to get in. Good luck to those vying for a spot.

MJ

Good news. I just turned down my seat at LMU, so there is one more seat available for those waiting to get in. Good luck to those vying for a spot.

MJ

WOW! It seems like a lot of people are turning down their seats.:eek: :confused: What is wrong with you all? :laugh: Did anyone else turn down other schools for DCOM? I knew it was the school for me from the start and even though everyone told me to "keep my options open" and check out the other schools, I never changed my mind about DCOM. All that accomplished was wasting more money!!!:smuggrin: The only negative it has for me was the fact that it is so far from my family, but we are just going to make sure that we visit as much as possible and that people come to visit us in Tennessee. I am just curious why it seems like so many people are giving up their seats. I know it makes a lot of people on the waitlists happy, but it makes me confused. I know that it is not the school for everyone, but it just seems like that people with other offers are going elsewhere.:scared: Well, good luck to everyone wherever you go!:luck: :D

WOW! It seems like a lot of people are turning down their seats.:eek: :confused: What is wrong with you all? :laugh: Did anyone else turn down other schools for DCOM? I knew it was the school for me from the start and even though everyone told me to "keep my options open" and check out the other schools, I never changed my mind about DCOM. All that accomplished was wasting more money!!!:smuggrin: The only negative it has for me was the fact that it is so far from my family, but we are just going to make sure that we visit as much as possible and that people come to visit us in Tennessee. I am just curious why it seems like so many people are giving up their seats. I know it makes a lot of people on the waitlists happy, but it makes me confused. I know that it is not the school for everyone, but it just seems like that people with other offers are going elsewhere.:scared: Well, good luck to everyone wherever you go!:luck: :D

These guys/gals are proving my point from several months ago. Thank you, and youre welcome.

:cool: :smuggrin:

These guys/gals are proving my point from several months ago. Thank you, and youre welcome.

:cool: :smuggrin:

LOL! :p Be nice or I won't IM you.:laugh:

And I am disproving your point because I am going and I could have chosen other schools. SO THERE!!! :smuggrin:

LOL! :p Be nice or I won't IM you.:laugh:

And I am disproving your point because I am going and I could have chosen other schools. SO THERE!!! :smuggrin:

well yea, id pick dcom over pcsom too. :smuggrin:

well yea, id pick dcom over pcsom too. :smuggrin:

Yea, well I might have had NYCOM too because I interviewed there, but I withdrew post-interview so who knows.:p :laugh:

I win!:smuggrin:

Oh, and I withdrew most of my applications after my DCOM acceptance and didn't even bother to look at them.

oh yes, secret lovers.:smuggrin:

You ever see that tmobile commercial on tv with the fave five?

Secret looooooooooooooooooooovers, that's what we aaaaaaaaree.....:laugh:

1. Because it is new
2. Because it is soooo rural
3. Because it is new

1. Because it is new
3. Because it is new

I would have to agree. I am most likely going to accept another school for #s1 and 3. I know that it is a great school and that is why I accepted an interview. Yet, spending $200k for an education is not a small investment. I feel that success on the boards and residency choice are the two most important decisions when picking a med-school, at least for me. LMU has a lot going for it, but there is no track record to back up their theory. It sounds really good on paper, but will it actually work. If this was the only school that I was accepted to, I would be thrilled to go here. However having an acceptance to an established medical school makes me re-consider the situation. This is not a choice that I want to make without weighing everything.

1. Because it is new
3. Because it is new

LOL! That is kind of what I figured.:oops:
Well, I will let you all know how it all works out there. Good luck to you guys!:luck:

I turned down offers at Touro-MI and LECOM, also interviews at DMU and KCOM. Just goes to show Dr Evil-inviz that there are actually others who stood a chance at other, more established schools. I chose DCOM because its a unique opportunity that many students dont have the BALLS to accept (cough, cough Dr. Inviz...........just playin playa!). I also chose to go there because of the area. I would have gotten along at KCOM, cause my brother went there, DMU would have been tough cause my wife's annoying sister and TOP-COP husband live in Des Moines, and I wouldnt have been able to deal with that; I would rather pour lemon juice over an open wound............over all, DCOM was the best fit for me and my family. What house in Middlesboro was it that looked too good to be true? PM me and let me know, I am sure that we have seen it and plus, if you have dibbs, I dont want to step on your feet.:smuggrin:

1. Because it is new
3. Because it is new

My reasons as well

1 and 3: the school is not even on the list of schools that the banks provide loans ffor (in Canada). I'd have to do some hoop jumping just to get them to give me money for tuition.

2. I've live/lived in fairly good sized cities...populations 250 000 - 300 000. Went to a big college town and a BIGGGG party school for undergrad, 40,000 students. Harrogate would be too much of a shock for me. Plus the lack of cultural diversity is something that is not appealing to me.

Hey doctormom, I think it takes a lot of balls to do what you're doing. Don't be surprised if many aren't as daring... But just remember that DCOM will most-likely become a good medical school as it builds reputation and you will always be able to tell people that you were part of the inaugural class!

I'm sure that LMU-DCOM appreciates all of the press you're giving them, too! 1000+ replies! Very, very nice.

Hey doctormom, I think it takes a lot of balls to do what you're doing. Don't be surprised if many aren't as daring... But just remember that DCOM will most-likely become a good medical school as it builds reputation and you will always be able to tell people that you were part of the inaugural class!

I'm sure that LMU-DCOM appreciates all of the press you're giving them, too! 1000+ replies! Very, very nice.

LOL! Thanks! I am not suprised. It is also really rural also, although that is a pro for me. I am positive that DCOM will be one of the top schools in the very near future. I think that it is exciting to be of the first class. I am sure they appreciate all the free advertising as well.:laugh: I also answer tons of PMs and IMs about the school. I told Mr. Carney they should give me a discount on the tutition for it.:smuggrin: :laugh:

I turned down offers at Touro-MI and LECOM, also interviews at DMU and KCOM. Just goes to show Dr Evil-inviz that there are actually others who stood a chance at other, more established schools. I chose DCOM because its a unique opportunity that many students dont have the BALLS to accept (cough, cough Dr. Inviz...........just playin playa!). I also chose to go there because of the area. I would have gotten along at KCOM, cause my brother went there, DMU would have been tough cause my wife's annoying sister and TOP-COP husband live in Des Moines, and I wouldnt have been able to deal with that; I would rather pour lemon juice over an open wound............over all, DCOM was the best fit for me and my family. What house in Middlesboro was it that looked too good to be true? PM me and let me know, I am sure that we have seen it and plus, if you have dibbs, I dont want to step on your feet.:smuggrin:

Wow! Good to know! Congrats on the other acceptances and for making the right decision.;) I will PM you about the house. I am sure you already saw it and I am sure that it will not be on the market by the time either one of us get down there. It looks too good to be true. It is beautiful, but I think it may be in a bad section of Middlesboro which is the reason for the price.:)

This is not meant to offend anyone, but are you expecting to catch a broadway show and frequent an art gallery while in med school?

:)

LMAO!!! I already have no social life, (thus the multiple posts on SDN:D ), so none of that matters to me anyway. ;)

My guess is with the traditional undergraduate institution right there on site, there will be plenty of low cost entertainment opportunities for anyone attending.

After spending a few days in Houston in the midst of their medical center, I got to thinking about what it must be like to go to MS there, and not be able to afford to experience any of the cool stuff that city offers. Just living there would be unbelievably unaffordable for a med student..I would think.

Docmom, you have to realize that the amount of people that have posted on here stating that they are turning down their acceptance seems high but there have probably been 10 or less, out of over 100 or so. If there was a thread for every school and everyone that turned down an invite posted it on the respective thread, it too would seem like a rash of people jumping overboard, so please don't make it read worse than it truly is.

I chose DCOM. I live in TN and called the school months before it could accept applications for information, and ceased all other applications when I received my acceptance, including MD programs, and OSU (Where Dr Stowers is from.) Every person has their reasons for choosing the schools that they choose, and you should allow people to keep those reasons to themselves. And yes, it does take someone with a particular personality to join a first year class, and you should not try talking people into it, but rather allow the ones that posses that personality trait to choose DCOM and the others to choose a more established school. I want to have classmates that are 100% positive that they want to be at this school.

Docmom, you have to realize that the amount of people that have posted on here stating that they are turning down their acceptance seems high but there have probably been 10 or less, out of over 100 or so. If there was a thread for every school and everyone that turned down an invite posted it on the respective thread, it too would seem like a rash of people jumping overboard, so please don't make it read worse than it truly is.

I chose DCOM. I live in TN and called the school months before it could accept applications for information, and ceased all other applications when I received my acceptance, including MD programs, and OSU (Where Dr Stowers is from.) Every person has their reasons for choosing the schools that they choose, and you should allow people to keep those reasons to themselves. And yes, it does take someone with a particular personality to join a first year class, and you should not try talking people into it, but rather allow the ones that posses that personality trait to choose DCOM and the others to choose a more established school. I want to have classmates that are 100% positive that they want to be at this school.

First of all, I am really pleased that you will be a part of our class. You obviously are very interested in the school and appear to be an intelligent and articulate person. :) No one has to post their reasons if they don't want to. I am not going to hunt them down and beat them with bamboo, (as drmax would say;) ). I was just curious why and if anyone feels comfortable sharing their reasons, I appreciate it. I know that choosing a school is a very individual decision. There are a lot of things to consider when choosing one. I withdrew from very good, established schools like PCOM because they did not fit my needs. I know there are people who think I am nuts for that. I love DCOM and I have always been happy to answer any questions that I can. I get a lot of PMs and IMs about it. I don't recall ever trying to "talk" anyone into attending DCOM and even if I did, I sincerely doubt it would work. I can't imagine that I could post anything on SDN that would be that convincing. I agree that I want students as classmates who want to be there. It just seemed like all of a sudden a lot of people were turning down their acceptances and I was just curious as to why. I think that everyone is perfectly aware that SDN is not representative of the entire population and that the people on here only represent a small percentage of students who have interviewed and been accepted. All I did was ask a question in an attempt to understand a perceived SDN phenomenon. Any comments regarding that are greatly appreciated.

I guess I could try bribing people to go to DCOM.:rolleyes:
EVERYONE WHO GOES TO DCOM GETS A FREE COOKIE!!!! LOL!:laugh:

Any takers...? LOL!

See, didn't work.:smuggrin: :D

Oh, I wanted to post this link too. This is a site that lets you post free on-line classifieds. So, if you are looking for a specific type of apartment, house, or job for your SO, try this. I did. I don't know if it will work yet, but it's free, so it is worth a try. They also list some houses and apartments there too. A lot of them are in Kentucky, but they may be close enough to the school.:D

http://www.londonky.com/cgi-local/classifieds/classifieds.cgi

okay i started looking into the loans..understanding that the interest rates accumulate through our 4 years in school and will be added to the principal amount after you graduate, it's so imp to get a lender with a low interest rate. So i would like to know how many of you folks have looked into this and your possible lender? I know edamerica has a 7.5% interest rate, others may be a lil more or less. So any fav. lender among the medical students?

Status
Not open for further replies.