DO Deciding between reapplying at taking a guaranteed seat in a MSBS program.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOCrohns

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Year in school: Graduated August 2016 with a BS in Health Sciences, Spanish minor. In a gap year.

· Country/state of residence: Illinois resident

· Cumulative GPA: 3.30 - started off freshman year very poorly, ended with about 2.4 cGPA and it rose every semester.

· Science GPA: 3.21 - was 2.54 freshman year - from AACOMAS calculations

· MCAT Scores: 500 - 123 CP, 127 CARS, 124 BB, 126 PS (July 22)
Definitely considering a retake as well.

· Research: 3 Publications: 1 as a Co-Author in the Journal of Neurosurgery, 2 as a Co-Author in smaller neurosurgical journals. ~ 75 hours of work put into them total (5 hrs/week). 1 Acknowledgment as a research assistant in a published paper in Drug and Alcohol Dependence. Worked as a research assistant for a medical sociologist for a total time of about 360 (10/week) hours during the school year.

· Physician shadowing Just over 80 hours of ER, Opthalmology, General surgery, Neurosurgery, Nephrology, GI, Primary Care, Sports Medicine.

· Non-clinical volunteering 60 hours of neighborhood improvement projects in areas of low income, education, and minimal employment opportunities (in the STL area so it's not particularly safe). Another 50 hours of various service events through our fraternity such as Walk a Mile in Her Shoes and philanthropy events. 30 Hours of set-up and tabling for Relay for Life. A week-long environmental brigade in Panama through Global Brigades where I was also able to translate for our group.

· Clinical Volunteering More than 115 hours as a scribe intern in an immigrant-focused healthcare clinic that provides free and low-cost services to anyone wanting to receive care. The vast majority of patient encounters are entirely in Spanish, but we accommodate for any language. The clinic is staffed mostly by volunteer physicians, translators, interns, etc. This is particularly special to me as a Spanish minor.

· Extracurricular activities Club Soccer President/Captain for two years. (More than 750 hours over ~100 weeks), I was cut from the tryouts freshman year and worked diligently to get on the team. Active member of a fraternity with more than 300 hours over 30 weeks in an executive position, more than 800 hours over three years for total active involvement. Made dean's list all of my Senior year.

· Employment history More than 375 hours (in 31 weeks) of work as a medical secretary in a neurosurgery department, I used IDX and EPIC to schedule patient appointments and clinic visits, obtained insurance referrals, and handled patient calls daily. More than 300 hours of work (also 31 weeks) as a "Global Coordinator" for a worldwide non-profit neurosurgical society focused on the improvement of the field and education of current neurosurgical and medical professionals. I also set-up and coordinated one of our conferences in Dubai and was asked to attend in order to work on the ground since I knew the conference in and out. I was also paid as a research assistant for the medical sociologist that acknowledged me in her publication (360 hrs/30weeks).

I accepted a part-time position in the same department, and have been working there since October.

· Immediate family members in medicine? No.

· Specialty of interest GI (I have Crohn's Disease so this is particularly special to me), Primary Care, Sports Medicine, Internal Medicine

· Interest in rural health Absolutely.

· Schools to which I applied:
  1. ATSU-KCOM - on hold
  2. DMU-COM - rejected
  3. KCU-COM - rejected
  4. KYCOM - under review
  5. LECOM - Bradenton - rejected
  6. LECOM - Erie - under review
  7. LMU-DCOM - rejected
  8. MWUCOM - AZCOM - rejected
  9. MWUCOM - CCOM - rejected
  10. NYIT - New York - under review