Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just started my Anesthesiology rotation and yes, I know nothing about Anesthesia. Well, I've been reading Baby Miller and Secrets and have not yet found the true definition of anesthesia. I am really trying to understand this stuff and I know it is more than just providing analgesia, so here is what I have derived so far, so help me out!
The four components of Anesthesia:
1) Amnesia ---> achieved with for example Versed
2) Analgesia ---> Fentanyl
3) Unconsciousness/Induction ---> Propofol / Etomidate
4) Paralysis ---> Succ or Nondepol like Roc or Vec.
Is there more??
Also, what I've understood with the gases (Sevo/Iso/Des) is that they provide these four elements after the patient has been given the above drugs IV and then switched to the gases after intubation. Am I on the right track with this? Thanks!!
The four components of Anesthesia:
1) Amnesia ---> achieved with for example Versed
2) Analgesia ---> Fentanyl
3) Unconsciousness/Induction ---> Propofol / Etomidate
4) Paralysis ---> Succ or Nondepol like Roc or Vec.
Is there more??
Also, what I've understood with the gases (Sevo/Iso/Des) is that they provide these four elements after the patient has been given the above drugs IV and then switched to the gases after intubation. Am I on the right track with this? Thanks!!