This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBigTooth

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
del

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Connections would help a lot. Talk your dentist if they have any positions open. If not them, than maybe their dental peers have positions open and your dentist can provide some good words.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly Uber is where it’s at. Nowhere else can you have that much autonomy in a job while averaging between $18-30/hr as an undergrad. Apply for a TA position for that resume building job.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some background info about me. I'm a junior in college going into senior year. My grades are really good with 4.0 GPA but I don't have any work experience other than driving Uber. I am struggling to find jobs in my area as all of them require previous work experience. I've been searching online but can't find any that don't already require "1 year experience as receptionist". I would like to find a job as a dental assistant before I apply for dental school but feel like it is impossible at this point. I literally don't have a resume outside of school and don't feel like this would help me get into dental school. I'm so confused and don't know where to begin to build a resume. I'm thinking about volunteering over the weekends so I can start somewhere but other than that I don't know what to do within the next year. How hard is it to find a job as a receptionist in a dental clinic or as a dental assistant without any work experience? I am thinking of just continuing driving Uber but I know it won't help for dental school.

Apply anyways, all of those requirements are there just to weed out people who are not seriously applying. The vast majority of employers are flexible on those hiring requirements. I would recommend not sharing with them that you already have an exit date in mind for the position. Very few people want to hire someone and spend the time training them if they know that they won't be staying long.

Reactions: 1 users
Finding a job as a DA w/o experience is pretty tough unless it's through a connection. Try volunteering in a local clinic first. Maybe you can get connected to a dental office that way

I second what Blackca3 said, apply anyways despite their requirements. I must've applied to about 15 different practices for their open dental assistant positions, and most of them told me the same thing you're hearing now: "You need experience, x-ray certification, etc." It is extremely difficult to be a DA without any prior experience or connections. I eventually lucked out and was hired by a patient dentist willing to train someone with little to no experience. Keep applying.

That being said, you don't need a JOB as a dental assistant for dental schools. Volunteering at clinics and other dental related volunteer opportunities will be just as good. As for money, your Uber gig pays well.

Hey man, I was actually in a similar situation...driving uber full time in addition to taking 19 units to afford living in San Francisco. Long story short, I actually started chatting with one of my passengers one day and found out she was a dentist. I asked if I could volunteer at her clinic and she allowed me to shadow/volunteer for an entire summer! So the connections are out there, don't be afraid to reach out.

You should do some research and find out practices around your area that interest you, then walk into those practices and greet the front desk staff, explaining that you are a Pre-Dent student who just wants to learn more about the field. Ask if the dentist(s) would be willing to go to lunch and talk about all things dentistry. Sure some people will say no but it has been my experience that people value authenticity and if you do this enough someone will help you or know someone who can. At the very least you will be making a connection and learning about dentistry and who knows maybe you could end up getting a job somewhere.

But why would they want someone who has no work or volunteer experience? Can't they easily find someone better? I don't have references or anything like that either. Really feeling bummed out right now.

I think you're underestimating the power of "charm" my friend. You have to be confident in your conversation skills. After all, small chit chat with patients, making them feel comfortable, is a big part of being a dentist. Don't be afraid to go into a couple local dental clinics WITH CONFIDENCE and explain to them your situation. If they reject you or don't have an opening, thank them for their time and move on to the next one. Keep in mind you don't need to work for a dental clinic, merely shadowing or volunteering is enough to put on your application.
Just curious, what city are you from?

Start reaching out. The CEO of Starbucks got turned down a hundred times before he found someone who would give him a chance on his coffee. Now look at him! I'm sure this is a little easier than that, too. Start getting more stuff on your resume too, ADCOMs wont want to interview you if you have zero ECs, even if you do have a 4.0 GPA. It comes off as bookwormy. Goodluck!

Some background info about me. I'm a junior in college going into senior year. My grades are really good with 4.0 GPA but I don't have any work experience other than driving Uber. I am struggling to find jobs in my area as all of them require previous work experience. I've been searching online but can't find any that don't already require "1 year experience as receptionist". I would like to find a job as a dental assistant before I apply for dental school but feel like it is impossible at this point. I literally don't have a resume outside of school and don't feel like this would help me get into dental school. I'm so confused and don't know where to begin to build a resume. I'm thinking about volunteering over the weekends so I can start somewhere but other than that I don't know what to do within the next year. How hard is it to find a job as a receptionist in a dental clinic or as a dental assistant without any work experience? I am thinking of just continuing driving Uber but I know it won't help for dental school.
You don’t need to necessarily find a job in the dental field, all that is required is shadowing or volunteering. I put on my app that I’ve worked as a server throughout undergrad and I talked about it during each interview. Key is to take away something from each job and relate it to the dentistry. For example, serving taught me to deal with various types of people, how to work under stress, develop a sense of teamwork, etc. Plus, it shows that you’re well rounded and your life isn’t all about applying to dental school. You’ll learn soon enough it’s all about how you sell yourself or in this case your application/interview!

Include your gpa on your resume and apply anyways. You should just look for a summer internship.