This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moxymed

Busy crying 'n dying 'n my studiez
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Be prepared to explain why you withdrew from ochem twice. My withdrawing from ochem came up in a couple interviews.

Already starting off with a terrible list of schools. If you arent a resident, don't apply to an OOS public school.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Deleted.

Last edited:
Deleted.

Last edited:
I'm a resident of CA, though I did my undergrad in TX. My state is beyond competitive, it's insane.
What's the best approach when your home state is not going to work? Apply private? Plot residency elsewhere?
Apply to your state schools, target OOS privates, and only public OOS that you are above their median stats, that accept more than 25% OOS, and that you preferably have a tie to the state or institution.

Reactions: 1 user
Deleted.

Last edited:
What did you say? Thought about that. My professor was literally known for being one of the hardest Ochem profs in the state, following an outdated 80s curriculum and textbook. Honestly, I knew that going in and it boiled down to bad choices and maturity.

Basically that i bit off more than i could chew.. My course load was a bit heavy and i was struggling with ochem, badly, and because of me putting so much more time into studying for ochem..my other grades started to drop. I basically said that I ultimately dropped the class to save my GPA, that doing well in my other classes was much more important than sacrificing everything to do better in ochem.

What makes you think you can get 35+? It's called 99th percentile for a reason.

Do it right, do it once.

Do not take the MCAT before taking O-chem and biochem. Do not apply in 2016. Applying twice is painful and expensive and demoralizing.
Your GPA is already marginal for medical school and you are from what is almost one of the worst states (plenty of schools but far too many fellow applicants). consider finishing school and setting up housekeeping in a state that more gentle. It is almost impossible to qualify as a resident of Massachusetts but many other states are less stringent. Someone here is sure to have some advice in that regard. What about Mississippi, Louisiana or North Dakota?

You may have been working toward this goal for 6 years but it will be 7 and counting if you apply prematurely. Cool your jets and be read to kick a$$ and take names next year.

Reactions: 2 users
Applying when you're not ready is a signal to adcoms that you make poor choices and that you have an inability to delay gratification.

Apply once, when you're 100% ready. Med schools aren't going anywhere, and there will likely be a few more open by the time you apply.

Reactions: 1 users
Deleted.

Last edited:
Deleted.

Last edited:
Deleted.

Last edited:
It is almost impossible to qualify as a resident of Massachusetts but many other states are less stringent.

Someone here is sure to have some advice in that regard. What about Mississippi, Louisiana or North Dakota?

Mass. requirements to become a resident are very stingy but UMass certainly isnt as stingy in terms of who they classify for IS purposes. It's within the schools power to determine who they do or dont consider IS. For cases like this, it's best to contact UMass specifically to see they would view an individual case.

As for if the OP wants to move to a "better" state for MD admission this table should be the key thing they use, particularly IS matriculation%
https://www.aamc.org/download/321466/data/factstablea5.pdf

Some state schools really dont seem to care if you move there live there for a year then apply(states like Ohio actually borderline encourage this/use it to entice applicants). And then there are states on the opposite end of the spectrum: there was a case 5-10 years ago where an applicant sued University of New Mexico's medical school because they found their rejection was tied to the school not really considering them "IS" even though they moved there and followed the state's requirements. In other words, U of MN looked at them as "gaming" the system and didnt appreciate it.

OP if they're interested in this just has to put in the time, call the schools, see if they can find people who did something similar to them and had success with it to decide if which states this could work for. There are definitely examples of this working successfully, you just have to find them. In fact Id encourage them to at least ponder entertaining the idea: their prospects are much different if they take a couple semesters to remediate their GPA and do well on the MCAT if they are in say West Virginia or Louisiana as oppposed to CA.

Last edited:
Mass. requirements to become a resident are very stingy but UMass certainly isnt as stingy in terms of who they classify for IS purposes. It's within the schools power to determine who they do or dont consider IS. For cases like this, it's best to contact UMass specifically to see they would view an individual case.

This is from the Massachusetts med school's website:
“If tuition for the Medical School is set at a lower amount for residents of the Commonwealth, a resident shall be deemed to be a person who has resided in the Commonwealth for 7 consecutive years or more prior to enrollment or a person whose immediate family has resided in the Commonwealth for 7 consecutive years or more prior to enrollment.”

With respect to this statute, the term “immediate family” means an applicant’s parent, spouse, child or sibling; and the words “resident(s)” and “resided” mean domicile – a person’s true fixed permanent home or place of habitation, where he or she intends t
4b2a32c9b748439da080be6b8d1ce393.aspx
o remain permanently.

This is from the Massachusetts med school's website:
“If tuition for the Medical School is set at a lower amount for residents of the Commonwealth, a resident shall be deemed to be a person who has resided in the Commonwealth for 7 consecutive years or more prior to enrollment or a person whose immediate family has resided in the Commonwealth for 7 consecutive years or more prior to enrollment.”

The key word in your post above is tuition. Tuition is a separate discussion from whether or not someone is classified as IS or OOS for admission purposes for a state school. There are certainly state schools which wont give you IS tuition if you came in as OOS after first or second year of school even though you could qualify for being a resident of that state. That's where what you are referring to comes into play; schools dont want to lose money in tuition from OOS residents trying to declare in state residency. Some state schools will let OOS applicants do this(Ohio schools come to mind).

I bring all this up because I had a roomate in this exact spot for UMass: moved to Boston worked for 2.5 years before applying and was in this predicament. He called the school and they told him "we'll classify you as IS for admission purposes but you arent going to get IS tuition". Obviously this is n=1 and YMMV, but these things are variable and come down to the school's disgression. He ended up getting a II there so they held up their end of the bargain in that regard. Now none of this is particularly relevant to the OP because if we are talking about states to move to to "improve" your chances, MA is not near the top of anybody's list.

Deleted.

Last edited:
Deleted.

Last edited: