Busy crying 'n dying 'n my studiez
2+ Year Member
- Mar 18, 2016
- Medical Student
Neither, with your GPA and plan to take MCAT before Ochem, you should seriously consider skipping this cycle, taking the course, prepping for the MCAT well, and applying next year where GPA (hopefully), MCAT, ECs and application timing will be more in line with a successful application. Applying when this weak, with a late MCAT, and either an "incomplete" early app or a late marginally better app is a formula for being rejected and having to apply next year again. In addition to the time, effort, and money wasted on such an application, being a reapplicant is an inherently weaker position to be in. Thus your chances will lessened by having a failed application. Reconsider, seriously reconsiderMy question is whether it's better to apply early this cycle (June-July) with the only strong point on my incomplete app my MCAT or later with a complete app? I would have multiple ECs as well as some prereqs to supplement in Aug. I also believe I would have better LOR by Aug.
I'm shooting for lower-tier schools ... U of Miss, LSU, U of ND
I could take the MCAT May-June and maybe foresee myself getting an average-high score. I could really see myself getting a great score, 35+, if I wait to take it Aug-Sept (which is cutting it uncomfortably close for my app). Of course, I could also bomb it either time.
My GPA dropped towards the end of undergrad. It's no excuse, but the reason was a 20-hr sem, severe health problems (resolved) and recovering from domestic violence. I'm not even sure these things would be worth mentioning in an interview, I just want to get my life back on track. I realize my plan is fairly rushed, but I've wanted this for 6 years now and I've wasted so much time.
Yes, I am aware taking the MCAT before Ochem is dumb. I've dropped Ochem I twice (late) and completed "Elementary Ochem" (same as Ochem I) with a C. Waiting til my Ochem summer course is over would be an obvious advantage.
- BS Biology: grad 1 sem early in 2014; cGPA 3.25, sGPA 3.21 (C in Phys II)
- Currently finishing Micro w/ anticipated A
- Worked PT plant pathology research 6 months
- Worked FT endocrinology lab (not research, routine lab work) 3 months (graveyard shift, great rec out of it)
- Worked FT/PT children's learning facility (cognitive therapy) 1 year
Plans for Summer 2016 ...
40 hrs shadowing GP
100+ hrs hospital volunteer
50+ hrs CASA volunteer
Complete Ochem I/II with As at local uni
Retake Calc I online at original uni to change D to A (would raise cGPA to 3.4 after other classes)
Apply to your state schools, target OOS privates, and only public OOS that you are above their median stats, that accept more than 25% OOS, and that you preferably have a tie to the state or institution.I'm a resident of CA, though I did my undergrad in TX. My state is beyond competitive, it's insane.
What's the best approach when your home state is not going to work? Apply private? Plot residency elsewhere?
Basically that i bit off more than i could chew.. My course load was a bit heavy and i was struggling with ochem, badly, and because of me putting so much more time into studying for ochem..my other grades started to drop. I basically said that I ultimately dropped the class to save my GPA, that doing well in my other classes was much more important than sacrificing everything to do better in ochem.What did you say? Thought about that. My professor was literally known for being one of the hardest Ochem profs in the state, following an outdated 80s curriculum and textbook. Honestly, I knew that going in and it boiled down to bad choices and maturity.
So, in a hypothetical world where I got a decent MCAT score early (30-35), had about half of those hospital & CASA hours and maybe all 40 of shadowing, and Ochem I complete, it would still not be worth my time? I'd be sending in my supplemental info (remainder of hours, Ochem II, Calc) in late August.
I'd also plan on taking Stats and Biochem Fall 2016/Spring 2017.
My thinking is I could take the MCAT and just see where I stand before I spend the extra effort for this year.
HOWEVER, I'm also not blind ... I could always finish my prereqs and substantially boot my GPA to a 3.5, take my time studying for the MCAT and score (35+? Not trying to be arrogant, test-taking has saved my ass my entire life), do my clinical hours/volunteering/shadowing at a normal pace and maybe have time for being an EMT, something I've wanted to try.
If it's truly not worth it to apply to these low-tier schools, I'd rather do it right and wait.
Mass. requirements to become a resident are very stingy but UMass certainly isnt as stingy in terms of who they classify for IS purposes. It's within the schools power to determine who they do or dont consider IS. For cases like this, it's best to contact UMass specifically to see they would view an individual case.It is almost impossible to qualify as a resident of Massachusetts but many other states are less stringent.
Someone here is sure to have some advice in that regard. What about Mississippi, Louisiana or North Dakota?
This is from the Massachusetts med school's website:Mass. requirements to become a resident are very stingy but UMass certainly isnt as stingy in terms of who they classify for IS purposes. It's within the schools power to determine who they do or dont consider IS. For cases like this, it's best to contact UMass specifically to see they would view an individual case.
The key word in your post above is tuition. Tuition is a separate discussion from whether or not someone is classified as IS or OOS for admission purposes for a state school. There are certainly state schools which wont give you IS tuition if you came in as OOS after first or second year of school even though you could qualify for being a resident of that state. That's where what you are referring to comes into play; schools dont want to lose money in tuition from OOS residents trying to declare in state residency. Some state schools will let OOS applicants do this(Ohio schools come to mind).This is from the Massachusetts med school's website:
“If tuition for the Medical School is set at a lower amount for residents of the Commonwealth, a resident shall be deemed to be a person who has resided in the Commonwealth for 7 consecutive years or more prior to enrollment or a person whose immediate family has resided in the Commonwealth for 7 consecutive years or more prior to enrollment.”
http://www.collegeforalltexans.com/index.cfm?ObjectID=6D1466D9-AEA5-DE00-C12F3F75E7367718I hate to hijack the discussion, but would any of you happen to know if Texas would grant me residency if:
1) I establish domicile 12 months before the June 2017 admissions cycle
2) I am gainfully employed, averaging at least 20 hrs/week the entire year
3) Receive no support other than scholarships and file independently on my taxes
4) Also take no more than 4 credits at a time (I believe they have a rule about max 5 credits/sem when establishing residency)
I am literally plotting my life around relocating back to TX for med school and I will probably go, even if there's a chance I have to wait another 12 months next June to convince ADcoms I'm not there for the wrong reasons. CA med school is just not happening (and it's expensive as hell here).