This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ekoorbnadroj

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm applying to dental school this year, and I'm in a bit of a unique situation with my LORs. I graduated with my Bachelor's degree in Predental/Dental Hygiene, and I've been working as a dental hygienist for 2 years. I asked two of my professors from my Dental Hygiene program for letters of recommendation for my dental school application because I know that they'd write a really strong letter for me based on my academic and clinical performance in school. However, one of the schools that I applied to recently notified me that letters from these two faculty members do not count towards "science" letters. Has anyone had an experience like this before? I'm not quite sure what my next route of action should be, because I know that some schools will accept them, but some will not. I'm not very close with any of my biology/chemistry/physics/etc. professors from college, so I don't think it's a great idea to ask them for a letter when they barely even know who I am.

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone,

I'm applying to dental school this year, and I'm in a bit of a unique situation with my LORs. I graduated with my Bachelor's degree in Predental/Dental Hygiene, and I've been working as a dental hygienist for 2 years. I asked two of my professors from my Dental Hygiene program for letters of recommendation for my dental school application because I know that they'd write a really strong letter for me based on my academic and clinical performance in school. However, one of the schools that I applied to recently notified me that letters from these two faculty members do not count towards "science" letters. Has anyone had an experience like this before? I'm not quite sure what my next route of action should be, because I know that some schools will accept them, but some will not. I'm not very close with any of my biology/chemistry/physics/etc. professors from college, so I don't think it's a great idea to ask them for a letter when they barely even know who I am.

Thanks for your help!
I think thats a good idea. Im also a dental hygienist, practicing for 1 year now and got my LOR from my dental school professors.

My understanding is you need to have your science letters be from bio/Chem/physics professors not dentists or hygienists.

try to rekindle a old relationship in whatever way you can.

Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding is you need to have your science letters be from bio/Chem/physics professors not dentists or hygienists.

try to rekindle a old relationship in whatever way you can.
I spoke to a few dental schools that I applied to and they said that as long as they were science faculty at the dental school, it would be alright. I did one of my researches at the dental school I attended while in hygiene and she also was my science faculty so it worked out.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your help!
I had a somewhat similar situation, but since I still needed to complete prerequisites for dental school and I did a masters program I just got 2 from science faculty from that program. One of the schools I applied to did require an additional LOR, which happened to be the school I completed my BSDH and MS. So I had the director of the hygiene program to write my additional LOR.