This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is majoring in Dental Hygiene a smart pre dental move

• Total voters

DaffyDoc1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I am a sophomore in highschool who would really like to go to dental school. I am a pretty good student and am in all honors classes. I'm going to take AP bio next year along with many math classes. So my question is: is it possible for me to do dental hygiene for 4 years and then go to medical school. I know the usual answer that you can technically major in anything but would dental hygiene give me a competitive edge. Also if I decide not to go to dental school I'll have a back up plan of being a dental hygienist. I know they make a very good amount of money. Like around 60-80k a year.
If the answer is yes that I can do dental hygiene as a major for dental school is it possible to minor in biology. Is there any school or program that would allow me to do that. I feel like the minor in biology would help me to complete some of the pre requisites for dental school. But im not sure if i could finish all this in four years. Another question. Would I be able to do all of this with two years of community college and a transfer to a four year college. Would going to a community college hinder my chances of making it to dental school. Has anyone done this route or do you guys know anyone that has done something close to this. All advice is helpful. I know its a lot to answer and I appreciate all help. Have a great day☺☺

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everybody,

I am a sophomore in highschool who would really like to go to dental school. I am a pretty good student and am in all honors classes. I'm going to take AP bio next year along with many math classes. So my question is: is it possible for me to do dental hygiene for 4 years and then go to medical school. I know the usual answer that you can technically major in anything but would dental hygiene give me a competitive edge. Also if I decide not to go to dental school I'll have a back up plan of being a dental hygienist. I know they make a very good amount of money. Like around 60-80k a year.
If the answer is yes that I can do dental hygiene as a major for dental school is it possible to minor in biology. Is there any school or program that would allow me to do that. I feel like the minor in biology would help me to complete some of the pre requisites for dental school. But im not sure if i could finish all this in four years. Another question. Would I be able to do all of this with two years of community college and a transfer to a four year college. Would going to a community college hinder my chances of making it to dental school. Has anyone done this route or do you guys know anyone that has done something close to this. All advice is helpful. I know its a lot to answer and I appreciate all help. Have a great day☺☺

Med school? Subconscious speaking there?

To answer some of your questions, CC credits are sometimes accepted. However, most schools have limitations placed on them so check up on the schools you're interested in (some take them, some only allow english, etc.). Regardless, I highly encourage you to do all pre-reqs at a 4-year institution.

If you're deadset on dental, why not just do the pre-reqs (2-3years?) and apply? You would be saving so much time and money instead of going for a DH degree and then dental school. I don't believe dental school pre-reqs and DH programs have much overlap in terms of courses?

Reactions: 1 user
First you need to figure out of you want to go to dental school or medical school. Those are two completely different programs and shouldn't be used interchangeably. What you need to do is focus on acing all your classes so you can get scholarships. Don't worry about making these decisions right now. You are skipping too many steps. If I were you I would shadow a dentist and see if you like the career. Dental hygiene is not a stepping stone. Dental assisting maybe but not dental hygiene. Most people who are hygienist and switched is because it's a career change. Not because they planned it that way. Again, do your homework and make good grades. That's all you need to worry about right now.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everybody,

1. Dont go to hygiene if you want to go to dental school. Hygiene programs can have much harder grading than a typical undergrad program and hinder your chance for dental school.
2. You cant minor in biology if you are in a hygiene program.
3. If you can take AP classes and at least score a 4 on the AP exams, you can take on 4 yr universities, unless money is your concern.

Thanks for all the answers so far guys. And I mistakenly said medical school somewhere in my question. I meant dental. I know med school and dental school are totally different. From what I'm hearing dental hygiene isn't a good stepping stone. Is there a major you guys would suggest? I want to be able to have something to use in case dental school doesn't work out. But I also don't want a major that would give me a low GPA. Thanks again for all the helpful answers.

Is there a major you guys would suggest? I want to be able to have something to use in case dental school doesn't work out.
Biology, because job security is for the weak.

J/k. I recommend doing biology + teaching certificate.

Major in whatever you want. Honestly it's too early for you to be worrying. Enjoy highschool.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everybody,

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-advanced-placement-and-ds-admission.1138556/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2014-prerequisites.1068956/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/dental-hygiene-to-ds.952937/
By the time you are ready to apply, you could have changed your mind a dozen times on what career path to take.

1. Dont go to hygiene if you want to go to dental school. Hygiene programs can have much harder grading than a typical undergrad program and hinder your chance for dental school.
2. You cant minor in biology if you are in a hygiene program.
3. If you can take AP classes and at least score a 4 on the AP exams, you can take on 4 yr universities, unless money is your concern.
Really?

. Another question. Would I be able to do all of this with two years of community college and a transfer to a four year college. Would going to a community college hinder my chances of making it to dental school. Has anyone done this route or do you guys know anyone that has done something close to this. All advice is helpful. I know its a lot to answer and I appreciate all help. Have a great day☺☺

For what its' worth...
I have taught part-time in a 2 year community college dental hygiene program for 25+ years. I have not heard of any of our graduates ever going on to dental school.

For what its' worth...
I have taught part-time in a 2 year community college dental hygiene program for 25+ years. I have not heard of any of our graduates ever going on to dental school.
That would be the operative word.

During my 4 years at dental school, I saw several hygienists transition to dental, usually after completing the DH program.

However, if you decide to do hygiene, I would not go for the BS. Get your Bachelor's degree in something you want, do your pre-reqs for dental and hygiene and then do an associates/certificate hygiene program. This still leaves you open for dental school.

Last edited:
So can someone clearly say what the negative is in doing the prereqs and getting a B.S in Dental Hygiene. It seems to me its relevant, at the school near me its not very difficult compared to any core science major and it seems as though having that patient interaction, dental knowledge, and exposure could only be positives.

If I had realized I wanted dentistry a year earlier I would have gone the hygiene route in undergrad.

So can someone clearly say what the negative is in doing the prereqs and getting a B.S in Dental Hygiene. It seems to me its relevant, at the school near me its not very difficult compared to any core science major and it seems as though having that patient interaction, dental knowledge, and exposure could only be positives.

If I had realized I wanted dentistry a year earlier I would have gone the hygiene route in undergrad.
That's like getting a BS in nursing then applying to med school. You're taking away a spot from someone and using it as a "stepping stone" if that makes any sense. Most people who go the hygiene route want to be hygienists, not dentists. Don't take their spots.

Reactions: 2 users
I sort of understand what you're saying but if you apply to the program, are competitive enough to be selected, and are paying your fair share of tuition are you really taking the spot or making use of a resource you have just as much right to. There are many who don't get into dentistry the first time they apply and having the option to make a living within the dental field by choosing a major isn't all that different from ppl who apply to business or engineering or any other major and don't actually use it later.

That's like getting a BS in nursing then applying to med school. You're taking away a spot from someone and using it as a "stepping stone" if that makes any sense. Most people who go the hygiene route want to be hygienists, not dentists. Don't take their spots.
Since admission to health professional schools pretty much require a BS degree, would all the applicants be using another degree as a "stepping stone"?

Since admission to health professional schools pretty much require a BS degree, would all the applicants be using another degree as a "stepping stone"?
The dental hygiene program is very competitive. You usually have a gap year when apply so it actually takes 5 years. Not including the additional classes you have to take that are dental school requirements. It's not a science degree so it doesn't have all the prerequisite science courses you will need. So why have a 6 year long undergraduate education to get a license you will never actually use versus 4 years flat? Either way you won't use the degree.

The dental hygiene program is very competitive. You usually have a gap year when apply so it actually takes 5 years. Not including the additional classes you have to take that are dental school requirements. It's not a science degree so it doesn't have all the prerequisite science courses you will need. So why have a 6 year long undergraduate education to get a license you will never actually use versus 4 years flat? Either way you won't use the degree.
Some graduate from ds and never use their degree.

I recommend against the BS DH route because you likely won't have all the prereqs that you need for dental school. Now, if you're doing a second BS in hygiene, that's your choice. I say just make it easier on yourself if you really are planning to go to dental school after hygiene.