This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

finneganmurphy

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Right now I am preparing to begin the process of applying to dental school. I haven't taken the DAT yet, but I will do so by mid July which is when I hopefully will get my app turned in. My question for y'all is does my school list look ? Should I include more schools? What other schools should I add to my list? I am trying to narrow it down realistically as I am not financially stable and would like schools that I could have a shot at? Please be honest because I don't want to have false hope.

Stats:
TX and AR resident
Cumulative GPA: 3.56 (Honors Anthropolgy)
Science GPA: 3.3ish
URM
100+hrs of shadowing & communtiy service
A good amount of leadership
Research (200+ hours)
Avg DAT Practice score : 18

Schools:
All Texas schools
Roseman
Midwestern
ASDOH
Tuoro
Lecom
Nova Southeastern

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly... If you take the DAT in mid July it will take dental schools a month to get your score placing you in the August batch. By then Dental schools have already chosen their students for interview and spots begin to fill up. If you can apply the next cycle I would recommend to do that.

When do people usually send in their applications? Are there ay other suggestions

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly... If you take the DAT in mid July it will take dental schools a month to get your score placing you in the August batch. By then Dental schools have already chosen their students for interview and spots begin to fill up. If you can apply the next cycle I would recommend to do that.
I wouldn’t listen to this advice. Submit your app in June and take the DAT mid July, no later if possible and you’ll be fine. Since you’re an urm maybe add Tufts Howard and Meharry. For cost purposes, at least Meharry if you’re aiming to stay more west.

Reactions: 2 users
I wouldn’t listen to this advice. Submit your app in June and take the DAT mid July, no later if possible and you’ll be fine. Since you’re an urm maybe add Tufts Howard and Meharry. For cost purposes, at least Meharry if you’re aiming to stay more west.
Thank you for this reassurance. I was really freaking out.

Reactions: 1 user
Most people here on SDN think if you submit your application 3 days after it opens you're late. That person gave horrible advice, do not listen to them.

As far as your list, your GPA is low you will need to kill the DAT to attempt to offset it. I think getting into any Texas school will be very difficult because from what I understand it is extremely competitive.
If you don't mind me asking, what URM are you?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Most people here on SDN think if you submit your application 3 days after it opens you're late. That person gave horrible advice, do not listen to them.

As far as your list, your GPA is low you will need to kill the DAT to attempt to offset it. I think getting into any Texas school will be very difficult because from what I understand it is extremely competitive.
If you don't mind me asking, what URM are you?
African-American

Then I would also add Meharry and Howard to your list as well

Reactions: 1 user