This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cemetra

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I've recently started undergrad at a well-known university, but I'm a non-traditional student that's 24 years old. So far, I've only taken 8 courses, but have made A's in every one - some higher, some lower. I've started volunteering, will soon be switching jobs to something more clinically based, and am planning to work there for a good period of time while forming good relationships with doctors, nurses, PA's and the like. Everything was going perfect, woo!

But... I went to a technical college at 19 and ended up getting a really high paying job (especially for my age) at a Fortune 500 company. This was towards the end of my first semester, but what did I do? Just left. Needless to say, I got 4 straight F's. This was almost 6 years ago, but I'm concerned it's going to ruin my chances of getting into a good medical school or take a major toll on my GPA, because it's an accredited tech school. I take my classes much more serious now, but unsure of how serious this is in terms of being detrimental to my application in the future. On the other hand, I'm not sure if it even counts. When people become EMT's from a tech college, do they include the classes from that? Seems a bit odd to me.

Sorry if this is a newbie question - just generally concerned.

Members don't see this ad.

You're older and presumably more mature. It also sounds like you had a fairly good reason for previously leaving school and are doing well now. It certainly isn't going to help you, but this is something that can be easily explained and I don't think will be an app killer by any means. Keep doing well in your classes, keep getting clinical experience, keep up your EC's, and do well on the MCAT. Do all that and I think you will still have a very good shot at med school. Either way what's done is done, so don't worry about it too much and just focus on what you can still control.

Reactions: 1 user
Just left. Needless to say, I got 4 straight F's.

Contact your old school's registrar / Dean / Committee on Promotions. Some people can appeal and retroactively change those all to withdrawals (since obviously you left the university). If you succeed in doing this, it won't affect your AMCAS GPA.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Contact your old school's registrar / Dean / Committee on Promotions. Some people can appeal and retroactively change those all to withdrawals (since obviously you left the university). If you succeed in doing this, it won't affect your AMCAS GPA.

Awesome, thanks so much for this. I’m actually attending there again now to become a surgical tech. Do you think that will matter? I’ve taken 4 classes so far. All A’s currently.

Also, what would they do? Take the class away? I wouldn’t understand how that would work with me going there now.

Awesome, thanks so much for this. I’m actually attending there again now to become a surgical tech. Do you think that will matter? I’ve taken 4 classes so far. All A’s currently.

Also, what would they do? Take the class away? I wouldn’t understand how that would work with me going there now.

They turn the F's into W's to more accurately represent the fact that you left the university as opposed to failing the class. It shouldn't matter if you go there now or not.

Reactions: 1 users
So you are going to a four year university and a tech school For surgical tech? Why? Are you the person who is going to school online? You story kind of sounds familiar.

So you are going to a four year university and a tech school For surgical tech? Why?

Tech school to become a surgical tech for clinical experience, build relationships with doctors/surgeons, volunteer with the hospital on weekends, etc. University for my undergrad. We don’t have any other options for certifications, really. I like out in the middle of nowhere and there are very limited clinical volunteering opportunities except at hospice centers, but most of those want you to be a CNA. I’d rather be a surgical tech though

I had a similar situation, I was going through medical treatments and didn’t withdraw from classes properly over 10 years ago and have 4 F’s as a result. I tried to get the school to change the grades to W’s with medical documentation but they refused.

While my gpa took a massive dip as a result, i’ve been able to get 2 interviews so far, one at a top 10 school. Keep working hard, schools will see an upward trend and some will look at your application holistically,

I had a similar situation, I was going through medical treatments and didn’t withdraw from classes properly over 10 years ago and have 4 F’s as a result. I tried to get the school to change the grades to W’s with medical documentation but they refused.

While my gpa took a massive dip as a result, i’ve been able to get 2 interviews so far, one at a top 10 school. Keep working hard, schools will see an upward trend and some will look at your application holistically,

That’s good to see, congratulations. Did you do well on your mcat?

I only scored a 510 but have pretty good EC’s along with being a mother of 2,

510 isn’t bad at all. That’s nice to see. I’m planning to have good EC’s - started a one for one business, donating scholarships to students through that company, being certified as a surgical tech and having a couple thousand hours, ton of volunteering, etc. I feel like I already have to start looking st how to make myself unique and add different things since my GPA will suffer. I’m only on my first semester and it sucks knowing my GPA isn’t going to be good.

It will pull your GPA down, but you can definitely overcome it. I had a similar transcript my freshman year. I'm now an M2 at a USMD school. Keep getting A's, an upward trend goes a long way to show that you are no longer the same student that you were 6 years ago. The amount of time that's passed is on your side. Make sure you don't take the MCAT until you are ready. It is the punctuation at the end of your reinvention story. Make sure that it is an exclamation point and not a question mark. All DO schools reward reinvention, plenty of MD schools do as well.

Plenty of people on this site have come back from similar starts: LOW GPA/MCAT Success Stories (Posts by Nontrads Already Accepted to Med School)

Reactions: 1 users
I know how it feels to have F's on your transcript and feeling like no matter how many A's you get, your AMCAS GPA will still never reach that >3.9

I had a similar situation when i first attended college and left with 3 F's on my transcript. I just briefly explained my blemish on my PS and left it at that. I was never asked about it, and the only time it was mentioned was during an interview where the interviewer complimented me on returning to school and getting straight A's after having 3 F's.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user