Dilemma: Pre-commissioned, pre-med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smudge2014

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I've been stalking through SDN for a couple years now, but this is the first time I've posted.

I'm currently a Cadet at a service academy (Kinesiology major), junior, currently in the final roster for the pre-medical program here. Basically the program is that you complete at least the required 4 courses (orgo I, II, human phys, and Biology), score at least a 509 on your MCAT and maintain at least a 3.4 GPA to remain competative for the HPSP scholarship.

Dilemma: I know I want to become a physician, but jumping right into medical school right now (and betting 12 years of my life that I will love being an Army physician) is giving me cold feet.
I've loved my shadowing experience and have provided emergency medical support as part of a club (with certification, of course).
Nothing seems to steer me away from going to medical school right now other than the aforementioned service obligation and the fact that I can't stand/(possibly?) can't hack it with Orgo II.
this week, I have to make a decision about whether or not I should drop Orgo II, drop the pre-med program, bring up my GPA, and take community college classes or do a year post-bac after my 5 years of service obligation and apply then. I feel that not having taken biochemistry before the MCAT will put me at a huge dissadvantage, and that remaining in Orgo II will prevent me from raising my GPA before branching statistics are finalized.

My stats:
cGPA: 3.52
sGPA (if engineering classes are included): 3.55

required pre-med classes:

biology- A-
Orgo I- B+
Physiology- (currently enrolled, not doing so hot at a B)
Orgo II- (currently enrolled, also not doing so hot at a B-)

I feel like my stats aren't too bad, with the exception of the two pre-recs below a B+.

Another major problem is that I'm not enrolled in Biochemistry and, due to the nature of our curriculum, could not add it to my schedule before graduation even if I felt like I could do well in it (which I don't). Not having taken this course will reduce my MCAT score and will prevent me from applying to a number of medical schools.

The question of the hour is: Should I war game by dropping Orgo II, retaking it alongside biochemistry at a community college after graduation and take the MCAT then and apply as a non-trad? or a year post-Bac? Or should I continue what seems to be a futile mission and risk getting stuck in a branch I'm totally uninterested in (and which has few opportunities to go to medical school)?

Best,

Smudge

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all!

I've been stalking through SDN for a couple years now, but this is the first time I've posted.

I'm currently a Cadet at a service academy (Kinesiology major), junior, currently in the final roster for the pre-medical program here. Basically the program is that you complete at least the required 4 courses (orgo I, II, human phys, and Biology), score at least a 509 on your MCAT and maintain at least a 3.4 GPA to remain competative for the HPSP scholarship.

Dilemma: I know I want to become a physician, but jumping right into medical school right now (and betting 12 years of my life that I will love being an Army physician) is giving me cold feet.
I've loved my shadowing experience and have provided emergency medical support as part of a club (with certification, of course).
Nothing seems to steer me away from going to medical school right now other than the aforementioned service obligation and the fact that I can't stand/(possibly?) can't hack it with Orgo II.
this week, I have to make a decision about whether or not I should drop Orgo II, drop the pre-med program, bring up my GPA, and take community college classes or do a year post-bac after my 5 years of service obligation and apply then. I feel that not having taken biochemistry before the MCAT will put me at a huge dissadvantage, and that remaining in Orgo II will prevent me from raising my GPA before branching statistics are finalized.

My stats:
cGPA: 3.52
sGPA (if engineering classes are included): 3.55

required pre-med classes:

biology- A-
Orgo I- B+
Physiology- (currently enrolled, not doing so hot at a B)
Orgo II- (currently enrolled, also not doing so hot at a B-)

I feel like my stats aren't too bad, with the exception of the two pre-recs below a B+.

Another major problem is that I'm not enrolled in Biochemistry and, due to the nature of our curriculum, could not add it to my schedule before graduation even if I felt like I could do well in it (which I don't). Not having taken this course will reduce my MCAT score and will prevent me from applying to a number of medical schools.

The question of the hour is: Should I war game by dropping Orgo II, retaking it alongside biochemistry at a community college after graduation and take the MCAT then and apply as a non-trad? or a year post-Bac? Or should I continue what seems to be a futile mission and risk getting stuck in a branch I'm totally uninterested in (and which has few opportunities to go to medical school)?

Best,

Smudge

You won't have an obligation for your service academy after graduation?

Yes, I would. 5 years active, to be exact. Sorry that wasn't clear.

Do you want to be an Army doc or not? If you do, you need to suck it up and get a decent grade in Orgo. If you don't, you're getting ready to wait at least 5 years to go to medical school. The only bonus is your veteran's benefits (Post 9/11 GI bill) should be able pay mostly for school so your time won't be completely wasted.

Edited to add: I had an active duty friend that was able to get her service academy obligation lifted to go to medical school using HPSP, but it was a long drawn out process that required some high level signatures. Not to be relied upon as a guarantee.