Dilemma: Pre-commissioned, pre-med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

smudge2014

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all!

I've been stalking through SDN for a couple years now, but this is the first time I've posted.

I'm currently a Cadet at a service academy (Kinesiology major), junior, currently in the final roster for the pre-medical program here. Basically the program is that you complete at least the required 4 courses (orgo I, II, human phys, and Biology), score at least a 509 on your MCAT and maintain at least a 3.4 GPA to remain competative for the HPSP scholarship.

Dilemma: I know I want to become a physician, but jumping right into medical school right now (and betting 12 years of my life that I will love being an Army physician) is giving me cold feet.
I've loved my shadowing experience and have provided emergency medical support as part of a club (with certification, of course).
Nothing seems to steer me away from going to medical school right now other than the aforementioned service obligation and the fact that I can't stand/(possibly?) can't hack it with Orgo II.
this week, I have to make a decision about whether or not I should drop Orgo II, drop the pre-med program, bring up my GPA, and take community college classes or do a year post-bac after my 5 years of service obligation and apply then. I feel that not having taken biochemistry before the MCAT will put me at a huge dissadvantage, and that remaining in Orgo II will prevent me from raising my GPA before branching statistics are finalized.

My stats:
cGPA: 3.52
sGPA (if engineering classes are included): 3.55

required pre-med classes:

biology- A-
Orgo I- B+
Physiology- (currently enrolled, not doing so hot at a B)
Orgo II- (currently enrolled, also not doing so hot at a B-)

I feel like my stats aren't too bad, with the exception of the two pre-recs below a B+.

Another major problem is that I'm not enrolled in Biochemistry and, due to the nature of our curriculum, could not add it to my schedule before graduation even if I felt like I could do well in it (which I don't). Not having taken this course will reduce my MCAT score and will prevent me from applying to a number of medical schools.

The question of the hour is: Should I war game by dropping Orgo II, retaking it alongside biochemistry at a community college after graduation and take the MCAT then and apply as a non-trad? or a year post-Bac? Or should I continue what seems to be a futile mission and risk getting stuck in a branch I'm totally uninterested in (and which has few opportunities to go to medical school)?


Best,

Smudge
 
Hello all!

I've been stalking through SDN for a couple years now, but this is the first time I've posted.

I'm currently a Cadet at a service academy (Kinesiology major), junior, currently in the final roster for the pre-medical program here. Basically the program is that you complete at least the required 4 courses (orgo I, II, human phys, and Biology), score at least a 509 on your MCAT and maintain at least a 3.4 GPA to remain competative for the HPSP scholarship.

Dilemma: I know I want to become a physician, but jumping right into medical school right now (and betting 12 years of my life that I will love being an Army physician) is giving me cold feet.
I've loved my shadowing experience and have provided emergency medical support as part of a club (with certification, of course).
Nothing seems to steer me away from going to medical school right now other than the aforementioned service obligation and the fact that I can't stand/(possibly?) can't hack it with Orgo II.
this week, I have to make a decision about whether or not I should drop Orgo II, drop the pre-med program, bring up my GPA, and take community college classes or do a year post-bac after my 5 years of service obligation and apply then. I feel that not having taken biochemistry before the MCAT will put me at a huge dissadvantage, and that remaining in Orgo II will prevent me from raising my GPA before branching statistics are finalized.

My stats:
cGPA: 3.52
sGPA (if engineering classes are included): 3.55

required pre-med classes:

biology- A-
Orgo I- B+
Physiology- (currently enrolled, not doing so hot at a B)
Orgo II- (currently enrolled, also not doing so hot at a B-)

I feel like my stats aren't too bad, with the exception of the two pre-recs below a B+.

Another major problem is that I'm not enrolled in Biochemistry and, due to the nature of our curriculum, could not add it to my schedule before graduation even if I felt like I could do well in it (which I don't). Not having taken this course will reduce my MCAT score and will prevent me from applying to a number of medical schools.

The question of the hour is: Should I war game by dropping Orgo II, retaking it alongside biochemistry at a community college after graduation and take the MCAT then and apply as a non-trad? or a year post-Bac? Or should I continue what seems to be a futile mission and risk getting stuck in a branch I'm totally uninterested in (and which has few opportunities to go to medical school)?


Best,

Smudge

You won't have an obligation for your service academy after graduation?
 
Yes, I would. 5 years active, to be exact. Sorry that wasn't clear.

Do you want to be an Army doc or not? If you do, you need to suck it up and get a decent grade in Orgo. If you don't, you're getting ready to wait at least 5 years to go to medical school. The only bonus is your veteran's benefits (Post 9/11 GI bill) should be able pay mostly for school so your time won't be completely wasted.

Edited to add: I had an active duty friend that was able to get her service academy obligation lifted to go to medical school using HPSP, but it was a long drawn out process that required some high level signatures. Not to be relied upon as a guarantee.