Diversity Essay Opinions? Racing vs. Robotic surgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sherer1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the diversity essays i was initially going to talk about being a Persian immigrant and so on but I realized that that's not what really makes me unique and will probably bore the admissions person so I'm stuck between these two:

1 - throughout my college years I found that racing cars was a great stress relief for me and I'd want to make a student organization for those interested in participating in race events. I've already looked up to make sure the Sports Car Club of America (that i'm a member of) has chapters near the schools that ask about diversity - so it would be very possible to plan an annual or biannual racing event. I said that since i have experience I could share my acquired knowledge with other students before race day and my point was that I believe this would be a great opportunity not only for student bonding and stress relief but also for fostering greater academic collaborations.

my issue with this is that it's not really related to medicine and I'm worried they'll think I'm not focused on medicine.

2 - I could talk about my interest in robotic surgery and how while most schools have surgery interest groups they don't really focus on robotic surgery and how I'd try to get on the leadership of the surgery interest group to also introduce other students to robotic surgery (most schools have the surgeons trained in it, they just don't have the student organization, so it would be feasible to have events for this group)

My issue with this is that my interest in robotic surgery is just that, and I've gotten to 'play' with the Da Vinci surgical robot twice but that's as far as my 'experience' goes so it's not in depth and it's really just an interest.

My plan is to mention the immigrant thing first and then transition to one of the two above. Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

For the diversity essays i was initially going to talk about being a Persian immigrant and so on but I realized that that's not what really makes me unique and will probably bore the admissions person so I'm stuck between these two:

1 - throughout my college years I found that racing cars was a great stress relief for me and I'd want to make a student organization for those interested in participating in race events. I've already looked up to make sure the Sports Car Club of America (that i'm a member of) has chapters near the schools that ask about diversity - so it would be very possible to plan an annual or biannual racing event. I said that since i have experience I could share my acquired knowledge with other students before race day and my point was that I believe this would be a great opportunity not only for student bonding and stress relief but also for fostering greater academic collaborations.

my issue with this is that it's not really related to medicine and I'm worried they'll think I'm not focused on medicine.

2 - I could talk about my interest in robotic surgery and how while most schools have surgery interest groups they don't really focus on robotic surgery and how I'd try to get on the leadership of the surgery interest group to also introduce other students to robotic surgery (most schools have the surgeons trained in it, they just don't have the student organization, so it would be feasible to have events for this group)

My issue with this is that my interest in robotic surgery is just that, and I've gotten to 'play' with the Da Vinci surgical robot twice but that's as far as my 'experience' goes so it's not in depth and it's really just an interest.

My plan is to mention the immigrant thing first and then transition to one of the two above. Any opinions?

It doesn't add diversity to be interested in cool surgical technology.
I like the racing thing. Especially if you have any insight on how it was being a non-white male in that setting (given the NASCAR stereotype).

Reactions: 1 user
the racing thing sounds like it would make for a dope diversity essay.

good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

For being a racer and SCCA member, so help me I'd accept you on the spot if your app crossed my desk!

So you better put that in your app!!!

For being a racer and SCCA member, so help me I'd accept you on the spot if your app crossed my desk!

So you better put that in your app!!!
Thank you for the feedback!