Diversity secondary concern- too arrogant or elitist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slapmypanda

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone — long time lurker and now posting for the first time!

For my diversity secondary, I’m going with sort of a “diversity of mindset” approach: I’m talking about how I have a passion for developing medical technologies and other innovations to push science forward. I talk about how my unique perspectives gained from my engineering experiences (developing a novel med tech for surgery in underserved areas), entrepreneurship (business activities and cofounding startups), and leadership (years of student government) have prepared me for my goal. However, I worry that this topic and including statements like “I see myself as an innovator” and “forward-thinker” or “I know how to make tangible change in the world” may come across as too arrogant or elitist. I obviously try very hard to not have this impression, but I also want to set myself apart and highlight what makes me special. Would this be an appropriate topic to talk about?

If not, I’ve also considered 2 other ideas for my diversity secondary:
1. Tearing my ACL gave me an understanding of biomechanics, sports medicine, nutrition, etc. and how good doctors are supposed to act
2. Talking solely about my business activities and the perspectives I gained. I feel like I should save this for MD MBA programs should I decide to apply, though.

What do you guys think? Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Disclaimer... I'm not an expert, but here's my two cents

If you take the diversity of mindset approach, as you've termed it, you should take care to not simply frame it as you having this special mind that was naturally different from others, but rather that an experience influenced you - stretched your mind if you will - to subtly change how you see the world.

As for your alternative topics, I don't like 1 but I like 2. There is a very real business side of medicine, and if your business experiences helped you understand accounting/finance/risk management in particular, you are at an advantage to med students who don't have that in their background.

For my diversity secondary, I’m going with sort of a “diversity of mindset” approach: I’m talking about how I have a passion for developing medical technologies and other innovations to push science forward. I talk about how my unique perspectives gained from my engineering experiences (developing a novel med tech for surgery in underserved areas), entrepreneurship (business activities and cofounding startups), and leadership (years of student government) have prepared me for my goal. However, I worry that this topic and including statements like “I see myself as an innovator” and “forward-thinker” or “I know how to make tangible change in the world” may come across as too arrogant or elitist. I obviously try very hard to not have this impression, but I also want to set myself apart and highlight what makes me special. Would this be an appropriate topic to talk about?

If not, I’ve also considered 2 other ideas for my diversity secondary:
1. Tearing my ACL gave me an understanding of biomechanics, sports medicine, nutrition, etc. and how good doctors are supposed to act
2. Talking solely about my business activities and the perspectives I gained. I feel like I should save this for MD MBA programs should I decide to apply, though.
Welcome to SDN.

I think your "Diversity of Mindset" topic is fine, but avoid the self-proclaimed "forward thinker" label or "“I know how to make tangible change in the world” comment. Be more humble (or at least seem to be so).

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to SDN.

I think your "Diversity of Mindset" topic is fine, but avoid the self-proclaimed "forward thinker" label or "“I know how to make tangible change in the world” comment. Be more humble (or at least seem to be so).
Thanks!! I also wanted to ask more specifically about my possible business essay alternative. I would like to present this aspect of me, but I feel like should I go with this idea, I would run out of things to talk about in my MD MBA applications. Do you still think it would be appropriate to talk about in a secondary? More so than my current idea?

I also wanted to ask more specifically about my possible business essay alternative. I would like to present this aspect of me, but I feel like should I go with this idea, I would run out of things to talk about in my MD MBA applications. Do you still think it would be appropriate to talk about in a secondary? More so than my current idea?
You are assuming that the MBA admissions folks would have access to your MD application and Secondary essays (and vice versa). The MBA is likely to have its own separate application process. So I think it would be fine to talk about this aspect of yourself in both locations. You might consider using different anecdotes, different vocabulary, and going into more detail with the MBA application, considering you are likely to have more space for that essay, but in general, I think it will be OK to be repetitive.

I have one last question. I had already submitted my Texas app (Texas resident) with my original diversity essay with the self-proclaimed statements. There is nothing I can do now, but what kind of harm for the apparent lack of humbleness could I see to an otherwise strong application (as I like to believe)? I put a lot of thought, love, and care into it, and I think the essay was well-written. I don’t think other parts of my app appear arrogant; I just hope it doesn’t preclude me from interviews. Sorry if I’m coming across as neurotic.
Does the essay cite supportive experiences (business-realm successes) as evidence for your "forward thinker"or "“I know how to make tangible change in the world” comments? Did the essay get a "green light" from readers with experience of med school essays?

It's good to see you have experiences that support your contentions. It's the nature of the Diversity essay prompt that you are bringing something special about yourself to the attention of the adcomms, so some expression of self-pride is acceptable.
Ok thank you :) you’ve been a great help!!