This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachelkatarina

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Attached is a screenshot of my undergrad grades. I still have to get through virology, anatomy, organic 1&2, and physics 1&2. I have a ton of bad bio grades because my first two years of college I was lazy and didn't take it as seriously as I should have. Other experience includes ~2000 hours experience as an ED scribe, ~100 hours volunteering in my rural community hospital, ~50 hours volunteering in a free clinic for underprivileged men and women, and ~300 hours volunteering at an animal rescue. Would I be better off applying to a SMP (my top two choices are GA-PCOM and Mercer) or doing a DIY post-bacc, retaking the biology courses where I made Cs, and adding a few upper level bio classes to prove I can make decent grades? I plan on applying to DO school after. If I were to go the post bacc route, make As in the biology classes, and do well on the MCAT, how competitive would I be for a DO school like PCOM?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 2.50.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 2.50.27 AM.png
    315.8 KB · Views: 132
I don't know if youre ready for a SMP if youre still getting Cs and Ds in your most recent semesters.

Whatever you decide, you HAVE to get as close to a 4.0 as possible from this point on.

I don't know if youre ready for a SMP if youre still getting Cs and Ds in your most recent semesters.

Whatever you decide, you HAVE to get as close to a 4.0 as possible from this point on.
I know that and that’s what I’ve been working on. My question is whether it would work better in my favor to apply to a SMP or just make good grades, retake a few things, and apply DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were you, I would want to prove that I could perform academically in science. Do the diy post bacc.

Apply DO and if it doesn’t work consider the smp. Smps crush mediocre students.

I hate to discourage you, but the gen chem II you took three times and made a C, those concepts are still around in medical school. Acid base, Henderson hasselbach, they will follow you. Just make sure when you start graduate school, smp or otherwise, that you are in the best place to succeed. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I would definitely recommend doing a post-bacc or retaking your C and D classes, especially the requirements. I know PCOM's biomedical program still requires at least (from the stats I've seen) a 2.8+ cGPA/sGPA. I'm also not sure if they still consider grade replacements, but your best bet is to do a post-bacc program and improve your undergraduate grades. Also, if you decide not to take the MCAT, I know Biomed programs take GRE which could be an option.

If I were you, I would want to prove that I could perform academically in science. Do the diy post bacc.

Apply DO and if it doesn’t work consider the smp. Smps crush mediocre students.

I hate to discourage you, but the gen chem II you took three times and made a C, those concepts are still around in medical school. Acid base, Henderson hasselbach, they will follow you. Just make sure when you start graduate school, smp or otherwise, that you are in the best place to succeed. Best of luck!
would it be better to retake my C classes and add a few upper level bios before or after I've graduated? I have the option to do all of this before graduating or graduate and then take those classes as a post bacc

Dont retake Cs.
I want to retake genetics, developmental, and cell bio so I know the material better for the MCAT. I wouldn't bother retaking gen chem. Why would you recommend not retaking Cs? Would it be better to self study these subjects and take different upper level courses?

I want to retake genetics, developmental, and cell bio so I know the material better for the MCAT. I wouldn't bother retaking gen chem. Why would you recommend not retaking Cs? Would it be better to self study these subjects and take different upper level courses?
Audit the classes you have Cs in of possible. Repeating classes you've already taken is not as good in the hands of the adcoms as fresh classes