DMU class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh and about the schedule. It's different every day. On average, you'd have lecture from 8-12 for 3 days a week, and have lab at various times on the other days. Some weeks will just be packed with things in the afternoon, and sometimes, you do get out at 12 every day. They are nice about scheduling in entire, free, study days if you happen to have lots of exams that week.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I'm thinking of doing a missions trip after my first year at DMU. I was wondering what kind of opportunities there are during the summer after the first year. I don't want to miss out on anything important. Thanks for your help.

Seth

jtessier said:
Well I've narrowed it down to 3000 Grand or Sun Prarie. Any input from people??? I'm trying to make a decision in the next couple of days. Is there anybody that lives there now that could say what they average for electric/heat?? Lulluz what apt. are you going to be living in at 3000?? I have to admit that the place is VERY nice and I'm sure it would be great to live that close to the school. On another note, while I was out there a few weeks ago I went to the Carmike theatre in Urbandale (across from Perkins) just wondering where people usually go for movies and such?? Also I'll be getting out there around July 11 or 12 will anybody be around since I won't really know anytbody yet???

Josh

Josh,
I noticed lucky replied to you but I do live in one of the newer sun prairie buildings and I have been living there since last may. Its a good quiet place most of the time and its a bout 15 minute drive non-interstate time cause I hate des moines traffic especially with all the construction. We usually go to Wynnsong in Johnston which is really easy to get too via interstate or regular "city" roads. Dmak, Lucky, and I will all be here all summer if you have more questions

Members don't see this ad :)
sether52do said:
Hey,

I'm thinking of doing a missions trip after my first year at DMU. I was wondering what kind of opportunities there are during the summer after the first year. I don't want to miss out on anything important. Thanks for your help.

Seth

Seth,
You get 8 weeks off between years 1 and 2, and lots of people just take that time to relax and not think about medicine. However, lucky and I are rather crazy and enrolled in an advanced dissections in anatomy course that they offered over the summer. Lucky also is doing clinical research with an orthopedic surgeon at Mercy Hospital here, and I am doing research with Dr. Crisp the head of the pharmacology department. My research lasts 8 weeks exactly, so lots of students will try to get involved in that (being published helps alot in residency applications later down the road). Anyways if you have any other questions let us know, and to everyone interested we are playing sand vb now on mondays if the weather is nice usually 2 or 3 in the afternoon and we have a map on how to get there if you want directions.

or you can work in the library and check out the hot chicks.........you 2008ers might be in for a treat if I get dodgeball started at DMU. HOOOOOAH. By the way, if you need help with school seek Cremaster or Luckystar. If you need help with anything else......seek me.

Rick James.

If anyone is going to be around monday I believe if the weather is nice we will be playing a little sand vb around 2 or 3ish. If you are interested email me at my dmu you email address (you can find it on the dmu homepage) or pm me and I'll get you directions.

cremaster2007 said:
If anyone is going to be around monday I believe if the weather is nice we will be playing a little sand vb around 2 or 3ish. If you are interested email me at my dmu you email address (you can find it on the dmu homepage) or pm me and I'll get you directions.

how are people supposed to find your name when all they have to work with is CREMASTER?? sometimes i worry about you.

yes I forgot that I actually have real name, so pm me and I will get you the information. Dmak Detroit what.

D-TOWN baby.......i could have made at least 7.9 million if i made every bet i wanted to on the series. you win some you lose some.

Rick James.

Seems like lots of folks are already in Des Moines. Anyone checking out/already living in West Des Moines?

thanks

yuk-dum-boo-bum said:
Seems like lots of folks are already in Des Moines. Anyone checking out/already living in West Des Moines?

thanks

west des is moines great. Close enough to school that the drive doesn't bother me but it's also closer to more restaurants, bars, mall, etc. They are doing a lot of construction on I235 at night to warn you if you end up near the highway.

yuk-dum-boo-bum said:

thanks

I also live in west des moines just down the street from dmak. It's nice not to be so close to school so you can feel like you get away even if it is only a couple miles:) Alot of wdm places have really good deals on rent, and even with the snow it isn't too bad of a drive.

cremaster2007 said:
Josh,
I noticed lucky replied to you but I do live in one of the newer sun prairie buildings and I have been living there since last may. Its a good quiet place most of the time and its a bout 15 minute drive non-interstate time cause I hate des moines traffic especially with all the construction. We usually go to Wynnsong in Johnston which is really easy to get too via interstate or regular "city" roads. Dmak, Lucky, and I will all be here all summer if you have more questions

Thanks for the help....I don't think I'm gonna end up in WDM but I did notice how quick it was to get from those places to the university. I also tried to avoid the highway while I was out there looking at places. It seems too easy to get around sometimes because the blocks are so "square" compared to some of the craziness you get up here in the northeast. Anyways I will be there around July 11 or 12, so I'm sure I'll be looking for something to do the first week or so.....

Members don't see this ad :)
jtessier said:
Thanks for the help....I don't think I'm gonna end up in WDM but I did notice how quick it was to get from those places to the university. I also tried to avoid the highway while I was out there looking at places. It seems too easy to get around sometimes because the blocks are so "square" compared to some of the craziness you get up here in the northeast. Anyways I will be there around July 11 or 12, so I'm sure I'll be looking for something to do the first week or so.....

Dmak, Lucky, and I all start classes up again the 26th, but there is talk of something fun that week before classes start up again. Just keep posting on here and when you finally relocate I'm sure you'll run into us we are pretty active on campus (even though it is summer).

Hey,

I'm going to post this here and in the 2007 thread. I've finished the beginnings of the DMUNotePool.com site. If you would be so kind as to vote at http://www.sether52.com I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

I agree that electronic notepool would seem to be a better idea overall, but just keep in mind even if the format is great the notes can still suck pretty bad. Make sure when you guys set up notepool you get notetakers that want to do it and not people who don't really care.

Welcome Class of '08-for those of you who will be here in the fall-I have a thread in the Osteopathic forum (your not pre-med anymore!). My intention is not to dilute this pre-osteo thread-just set it up for any questions that have not been asked/answered yet from someone who has been around campus for a while.

Thanks!

I have spent the past five years in a home that I love; 3 minutes from DMU.

Its South of Grand (off 42nd), and convenient to clinical sites in Des Moines (less than 15 min to: Methodist, Blank, Broadlawns, VA, Mercy).

Parks, trails, the Art Center, and the Shops at Roosevelt are within a short distance.

Enjoy your time in Des Moines. The school and clinical sites offer great training.

Christopher Stalvey, D.O. '03

Link: Iowa Realty Property #234066

4112 Welker Ave.
Des Moines, IA 50312

Ok, I now have a house. It's a 3 bdrm 2 miles from school. I'm looking for 2 roomates. PM me for more info.

Has anyone gotten stuff from the school recently. I know when I was out there fin. aid said that stuff should be coming about now and I thought we were suppossed to be getting some other stuff just curious... I'll be moving out there in like weeks!!....

I talked to fin aid.. and they said that by july 4th they should finish processing for most incoming students.. so the week of 4th of july.. we should start receiving award letters in the mail...

avi

Guys,
Don't worry about fin. aid too much they do a good job of making sure you have everything when you need it. I look forward to meeting you guys when you get here!!

Hi. I'm applying to DMU for 2009. Can people give me and estimate of their GPA and MCAT so I know if I'll be competitive? I have a 3.3 and 27M.
thx

Your numbers are competitive. DMU's numbers are just about the same. Apply early. If you get an interview the chances of acceptance are quite good.

Ok here are some questions. First does anybody think that they may be able to help me move a couple of things on Mon. July 12. Second does anybody like drum corps??? I'm thinking about going to a show on Aug. 1st in Ankeny. Finally....I have so much stuff it's ridiculous. I'm realizing this now more than ever as I'm getting ready to pack up my stuff and ship it in just a few days. I'm just curious how do people anticipate moving all their stuff and/or how have they moved their stuff and been able to do so efficiently in their thrid and fourth years. I thnk that's it for now.

Josh

jtessier said:
Ok here are some questions. First does anybody think that they may be able to help me move a couple of things on Mon. July 12. Second does anybody like drum corps??? I'm thinking about going to a show on Aug. 1st in Ankeny. Finally....I have so much stuff it's ridiculous. I'm realizing this now more than ever as I'm getting ready to pack up my stuff and ship it in just a few days. I'm just curious how do people anticipate moving all their stuff and/or how have they moved their stuff and been able to do so efficiently in their thrid and fourth years. I thnk that's it for now.

Josh
Josh, I would help you move, but that's the weekend I'm going home to San Francisco. I'll be back the next day so if you need help then, I'm free. What did you end up deciding on how to move? If you have stuff shipped by UPS, they'll take it up to your apartment.

I'm going to donate a lot of my clothes this winter. I've been stocking up on nicer clothes that will be needed for rotations, and workout-type clothes for class and studying. I have so much in between stuff to get rid of. As for furniture, I'm planning on selling all of it to some unsuspecting first year before I leave for rotations if I have to. Muahahahaha. Actually, it's not bad stuff. Ikea rocks.

Josh,
I have lived around central iowa most of my life so I haven't had to deal with the bother of moving everything as of yet. I am planning though on trying to leave most of my stuff here either in storage or with fam during rotations until I either graduate and become a doctor or die trying in which case my family will get a lot of free stuff they probably don't want. I may be able to help you that weekend, but I'm not sure on my work schedule. You should contact dmak he doesn't do anything but lay in bed.

Hi All,
I'll be entering DMU in Aug. - the PA program. I haven't been able to find anthing similar to this group for DMU's PA's - have checked SDN for PA's. so hope you don't mind if I post here... :)

Welcome to all moving to Des Moines! We relo'd here 11 years ago and have found it a wonderful place to live! Up until then, had been moving every 18 months, finally got off the corporate train and made this home.

A couple of questions for those attending DMU:

I hear there is a parking problem w/ the construction. Since I live only a mile south and west of DMU, I'd like to bike to campus. Is there a secure place for storage?

Is anyone else using the Wesley Acres day care (Childrens Garden?)? My daughter attends the local elementry school, but I really don't want her in the metro kids program for after school...but she is feeling "shy" about not knowing anyone else in the program. (She really doesn't have a "shy" bone in her body.)

Thanks,
Ann

cremaster2007 said:
Josh,
I have lived around central iowa most of my life so I haven't had to deal with the bother of moving everything as of yet. I am planning though on trying to leave most of my stuff here either in storage or with fam during rotations until I either graduate and become a doctor or die trying in which case my family will get a lot of free stuff they probably don't want. I may be able to help you that weekend, but I'm not sure on my work schedule. You should contact dmak he doesn't do anything but lay in bed.

I fish.....and I work about 15 hours a week. And I fish. Sometimes I play softball and bocce ball. I fish occasionally. I watch movies. Fishing's fun. And I'm learning how to play the recorder.

Hi all,

Thought I'd say hi and make myself available for any questions as well but I'm sure everyone here has been accommodating to the incoming students....

I'm currently a dual degree student (DO/MPH'05) and doing rotations in Columbus, Ohio (Doctor's Hospital). I'm also a National Health Service Corp Scholarship recipient (x4yrs).

If you have any questions that I can answer I'd be happy to....

later, :cool:

sether52do said:
Hey,

Seth

Hi Seth,

There has been a couple of my classmates that have successfully done a mission during their summer break.... I know it's religiously affiliated.... so it is possible and someone did mention that you have 8 weeks off.... use it wisely.

Good luck

EvoDevo said:
I found out that I'm in the top 25% of the waitlist. However, I too would like to know if this actually means anything.

So, if we got in it would be a radical life change in only a little time, no? :smuggrin:

Congratulations to everyone, both the accepted and the waitlisted. :)

Just to let you know that it's pretty hard to come out of the waitlist for DMU this year as applications/acceptance have increased.... I'm sure you've contacted DMU regarding this matter by now but I still wish you luck and things can change as we approach August/Sept....

Popoy,
I'm sending you a PM.
Jenny

Popoy said:
Just to let you know that it's pretty hard to come out of the waitlist for DMU this year as applications/acceptance have increased.... I'm sure you've contacted DMU regarding this matter by now but I still wish you luck and things can change as we approach August/Sept....
Yeah, I'm aware of it. :^\ If you have any specific info I'd appreciate hearing it.

Thanks.

Oh, and when (to your knowledge) is the last possible day to join the class?

I know that there's a surplus.... I'm not sure if I'm able to give the information out but I can tell you there are a lot that I'm afraid that there will not be any people out of the waitlist.... but don't let this get you down. Things can happen and you can still get in.... So just hope and pray at this point.

You can join the class after orientation.... but you have to be there for the first week because there's already a class that will finish and an exam that first week friday....

jennyw17 said:
Popoy,
I'm sending you a PM.
Jenny

Hey did you get my PM??? Something funky happened when I was trying to send it.... let me know, otherwise, I'll do my best to answer you again.

Popoy said:
I know that there's a surplus.... I'm not sure if I'm able to give the information out but I can tell you there are a lot that I'm afraid that there will not be any people out of the waitlist.... but don't let this get you down. Things can happen and you can still get in.... So just hope and pray at this point.

You can join the class after orientation.... but you have to be there for the first week because there's already a class that will finish and an exam that first week friday....
Thanks for the heads up! It's always nice to have ALL possible information available, as opposed to vague pronouncements. :thumbup:

Popoy,
I did get your PM thank you for getting back to me and answering my questions so quickly.
jenny

I will post this in both threads since it's kind of short notice. I'm looking for some help to move a few things on Mon. July 12. I will be in Des Moines that day. I probably won't be able to check for any responses until Sun., but if anybody thinks they may be able to please PM me with a way to contact you. It would be greatly appreciated. It's literally only like 2 or 3 things and shouldn't take more than an hourish, I would assume. Thank you so much again.

Josh

hey I recall some talk of getting together before school starts, is this still happening? If so when?

Thousandth said:
hey I recall some talk of getting together before school starts, is this still happening? If so when?

Yeah. I've actually been working with a few other students and admissions to get a bunch of events together for the week before the 2008's orientation week. This information will be on the student portal for all incoming 2008s and the 007's. Great time last year. Should be even better this year. Some events will include dinners, bowling, karaoke, and an Iowa Cubs game. All the details should be up by Monday. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Enjoy the rest of your summers.

dmak

Hey guys and gals,

The orientation schedule is up for your class on the portal. Log in, click on the documents tab, and it should be under the Students folder. If you have trouble accessing it, I can send it to you via email. Send me an PM. See you all soon.

dmak

I just wanted to give a supporting commment to DMAK's statement.

The Pre-Orientation Social Events are the best thing that DMU ever could have done. They're run by the Admissions department, who everyone should like since they had a big part of getting you in to DO school.

I met some people during Pre-Orientation that I'm still very good friends with, and forsee being close with for many years to come.

If it adds any validation, I'm the 2nd year class president (and I was the president when we were 1st years)

Give us a call if you need any help!

Ray

Hey,

Does anyone know if there are two-flat style apartments or small houses available for rent, either close to campus or maybe West Des Moines? Currently, I live in a great two-flat apartment in Chicago that feels more like a house than anything, and I'm hoping that there may be something similar in or near Des Moines.

DMAK and cremaster, you both live in West Des Moines, right? Know anything about the Wellington apartments?

Thanks,
yuk

yuk-dum-boo-bum said:
Hey,

Does anyone know if there are two-flat style apartments or small houses available for rent, either close to campus or maybe West Des Moines? Currently, I live in a great two-flat apartment in Chicago that feels more like a house than anything, and I'm hoping that there may be something similar in or near Des Moines.

DMAK and cremaster, you both live in West Des Moines, right? Know anything about the Wellington apartments?

Thanks,
yuk

The odds of find a two-flat apartment here isn't going to be very good. From what I recall when I was apartment hunting, everything tends to be the same. There might be some located more "downtown" des moines but they will be more expensive than the apt.'s near school or in w. des moines. About wellington, it doesn't look like they have a virtual tour or anything on the web. I have a couple friends who live there and like them. They are right off EP True Parkway which takes you right to grand and then to school, so commuting isn't too much of an issue. I haven't heard anything that badly about them, but if you have any specific questions I can ask some people and see what I can come up with for you.

cremaster2007 said:
The odds of find a two-flat apartment here isn't going to be very good. From what I recall when I was apartment hunting, everything tends to be the same. There might be some located more "downtown" des moines but they will be more expensive than the apt.'s near school or in w. des moines. About wellington, it doesn't look like they have a virtual tour or anything on the web. I have a couple friends who live there and like them. They are right off EP True Parkway which takes you right to grand and then to school, so commuting isn't too much of an issue. I haven't heard anything that badly about them, but if you have any specific questions I can ask some people and see what I can come up with for you.

I agree. My wife and I checked out Wellington and thought they were pretty good. A little pricey for what you get though I think. For a similar price and a little nicer facility go all the way down EP True Parkway to Turtle Creek Apartments. They are very nice and seem like they would be quiet too.

Seth

My wife and I are planning on going to most of them, we aren't going to the Friday or Saturday event. We are going on a tubing trip for the weekend. Probably see alot of people there, it sounds like its pretty successful and a good time to boot.

I will be going to at least 4 or 5 of the events I believe. I think there will be quite a few people going to the stuff next week. It definitely seems like more people are starting to make their way out here.