DMU-COM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Boner. The minority students weren't huddled up together. Rather they were all sitting alone. I didn't see one group of students with a minority student in it. I think that's what stuck in my mind.

Uh, what? The minority students weren't even sitting with other minorities? Yet somehow you make it sound as though you think the white people are unwelcoming or unwilling to associate with them. From your previous couple of posts, I don't quite follow your logic.

Members don't see this ad.

ocwaveoc thinks everyone is racist except in California and New York.

I really don't have his perspective, admittedly. At UT, I probably had about as many asian, persian, indian/pakistani, and hispanic friends as I did white friends. I had a lot of black friends too, but not as many as the others. I have always run with a pretty diverse crew, and the things he describes have never been an issue.

When you are around educated people, I have a hard time imagining a lot of real racism. Especially in younger people who didn't grow up with the racial tensions of civil rights debates in the 50s and 60s. Although I'm sure it exists.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not planning on attending DMU or even applying this cycle, so this isn't really about DMU.

BUT, I thought diversity was when people ARE different--including from oneself. If people are the same as you isn't that "commonality"? Also, maybe I am just a whitey, but I thought times had changed and we should all be looking beyond apparent skin color for the diversity within each individual...some students are married, nice, naive, fat, short, funny, depressed, divorced, athletic, adopted, compassionate, aloof, loyal, needy, dsylexic, sexy, greedy, nerdy, jerky, strong, spoiled, honest, musical, immature, dependable, trusting, uncoordinated, talented, rich, whimpy, poor, or have children. (Just because people look alike doesn't mean they are all the same.)

I know I have to think hard to even remember what race my friends are--I don't see them as colors, ages, or incomes, but as people, with qualities, weaknesses and strengths. I would worry more about religious intolerance or closemindedness than racial background--race is fixed, but intolerance is a choice.

But I don't have your perspective either. I admit I would be initially uncomfortable in an all black college--particularly if people didn't talk to me and if I felt physically unsafe or unwanted in the neighborhood. But if I felt accepted and people were friendly, well, then, someone's gotta be first for things to change. I just want a good educational opportunity. Unless people at DMU were unfriendly to you or you felt unsafe (which I don't sense), what is the problem?

Also, I would think if you want to add true diversity to your life, DMU is the place for you. If you want to have more people of your race at your school, then maybe it isn't right for you. But, you might think about if racial background provides more commonality than the simple humanbean-ness we all share. Exposure to other races (even if white) might expand how you see ALL people, and make you a better doctor to ALL your patients, and getting to know you might teach us whiteys a few things too. We really aren't that different, are we?--or am I just colorblind? :)

I'd like to clarify a few things.
I never stated that the students or the people at DMU were racists. What I did state is that there were very, very few minorities on the campus when I was interviewing there. I didn't see one minority student intermingling with other students (of about 10 I did see).

Therefore, my points were that the lack of diversity was an issue for me since I like to be around people of various races. Secondly, my perception was that the minorities were not intermingling with the white kids.

These points say nothing about someone being a racist.

As people suggest to goto a school where you feel most comfortable in or can see yourself in. DMU just wasn't it, personally. That's all.

ocwaveoc: I know you don't think everyone is racist. I was being sarcastic. At the same time, you have made blanket statements about people in the south, and other areas of the country that would lead me to believe that you are worried about racism, when it may or may not actually be an issue.

Is it possible that you are uncomfortable at places like DMU simply because they aren't what you're accustomed to? To be honest, I felt a little out of place when I visited KCUMB, KCOM, and DMU too. In Kirksville, I felt like Wyatt Earp was going to come down the street at any minute and start shooting. At the same time, those are three great schools, and I could have made the adjustment and been happy, if not for my acceptance to GA-PCOM, which I consider to be a better fit for me personally.

I also have no doubt that I would feel perfectly comfortable at a predominantly-black school. It would be a little different than what I'm used to, but I'm sure I'd make the adjustment quickly. In fact, I think it would be a great opportunity to experience something different.

True story: when John Mackovic was hired as the UT football coach about 15 years ago, he walked into his first team meeting to introduce himself to the players. He looked them over and saw all the black guys sitting together, and all the white guys sitting together. He said "No wonder we're so bad. You don't look like a team at all." He left the room and came back 10 minutes later, and everyone was mixed up.

Don't turn down a great educational opportunity because of something like this before you really think it over. Don't make decisions like this on a whim, because it might be something you could get used to easily.

I interviewed the same day as ocwave...I didn't see very many minorities at DMU, but I did notice how nice everyone was regardless of race. I mean it's all about the environment you feel most comfortable in, and for me, a lack of diversity really isn't too big of a deal.

But some of my thoughts about the school:
Facilities were top notch. The simulated OR/scrub sink rooms were really nice. Cost of living is LOW! The students were really nice. Quite a few students stayed around during/after interviews and talked with us for quite a bit. They even did some OMM on each other to show us what it was like (it was my first time to see it being done up close). I also had a 2nd year who was a fellow Longhorn Alum come up to me just to say hi.

So overall, I was very impressed with DMU.

I'd like to clarify a few things.
I never stated that the students or the people at DMU were racists. What I did state is that there were very, very few minorities on the campus when I was interviewing there. I didn't see one minority student intermingling with other students (of about 10 I did see).

Therefore, my points were that the lack of diversity was an issue for me since I like to be around people of various races. Secondly, my perception was that the minorities were not intermingling with the white kids.

These points say nothing about someone being a racist.

As people suggest to goto a school where you feel most comfortable in or can see yourself in. DMU just wasn't it, personally. That's all.

I don't think you're racist, just ignorant. Your whole perception is skewed to begin with. For one thing, you're presuming the people you saw were not minorities just because they were "white." There are people from Africa that attend the school that are considered minorities, could be called African-Americans, yet they're "white." I suppose your narrow minded perspective on race or ethnic diversity wouldn't let you comprehend that.

But you go ahead and keep trying to tell yourself otherwise. Or, maybe you just had a bad interview.

I'm not planning on attending DMU or even applying this cycle, so this isn't really about DMU.

BUT, I thought diversity was when people ARE different--including from oneself. If people are the same as you isn't that "commonality"? Also, maybe I am just a whitey, but I thought times had changed and we should all be looking beyond apparent skin color for the diversity within each individual...some students are married, nice, naive, fat, short, funny, depressed, divorced, athletic, adopted, compassionate, aloof, loyal, needy, dsylexic, sexy, greedy, nerdy, jerky, strong, spoiled, honest, musical, immature, dependable, trusting, uncoordinated, talented, rich, whimpy, poor, or have children. (Just because people look alike doesn't mean they are all the same.)

I know I have to think hard to even remember what race my friends are--I don't see them as colors, ages, or incomes, but as people, with qualities, weaknesses and strengths. I would worry more about religious intolerance or closemindedness than racial background--race is fixed, but intolerance is a choice.

But I don't have your perspective either. I admit I would be initially uncomfortable in an all black college--particularly if people didn't talk to me and if I felt physically unsafe or unwanted in the neighborhood. But if I felt accepted and people were friendly, well, then, someone's gotta be first for things to change. I just want a good educational opportunity. Unless people at DMU were unfriendly to you or you felt unsafe (which I don't sense), what is the problem?

Also, I would think if you want to add true diversity to your life, DMU is the place for you. If you want to have more people of your race at your school, then maybe it isn't right for you. But, you might think about if racial background provides more commonality than the simple humanbean-ness we all share. Exposure to other races (even if white) might expand how you see ALL people, and make you a better doctor to ALL your patients, and getting to know you might teach us whiteys a few things too. We really aren't that different, are we?--or am I just colorblind? :)

Well said. Thank you.

I don't think you're racist, just ignorant. Your whole perception is skewed to begin with. For one thing, you're presuming the people you saw were not minorities just because they were "white." There are people from Africa that attend the school that are considered minorities, could be called African-Americans, yet they're "white." I suppose your narrow minded perspective on race or ethnic diversity wouldn't let you comprehend that.

But you go ahead and keep trying to tell yourself otherwise. Or, maybe you just had a bad interview.

What the hell are you talking about? Hmm...an African American who is "white". OK......:confused:
By the way, I had an excellent interview. To back up my claim, so far, excluding the DMU interview, I've had 3 others. I've gotten 3 acceptances so far. My observation was all done prior to the interview.

ocwaveoc: I know you don't think everyone is racist. I was being sarcastic. At the same time, you have made blanket statements about people in the south, and other areas of the country that would lead me to believe that you are worried about racism, when it may or may not actually be an issue.

Is it possible that you are uncomfortable at places like DMU simply because they aren't what you're accustomed to? To be honest, I felt a little out of place when I visited KCUMB, KCOM, and DMU too. In Kirksville, I felt like Wyatt Earp was going to come down the street at any minute and start shooting. At the same time, those are three great schools, and I could have made the adjustment and been happy, if not for my acceptance to GA-PCOM, which I consider to be a better fit for me personally.

I also have no doubt that I would feel perfectly comfortable at a predominantly-black school. It would be a little different than what I'm used to, but I'm sure I'd make the adjustment quickly. In fact, I think it would be a great opportunity to experience something different.

True story: when John Mackovic was hired as the UT football coach about 15 years ago, he walked into his first team meeting to introduce himself to the players. He looked them over and saw all the black guys sitting together, and all the white guys sitting together. He said "No wonder we're so bad. You don't look like a team at all." He left the room and came back 10 minutes later, and everyone was mixed up.

Don't turn down a great educational opportunity because of something like this before you really think it over. Don't make decisions like this on a whim, because it might be something you could get used to easily.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

What the hell are you talking about? Hmm...an African American who is "white". OK......:confused:
By the way, I had an excellent interview. To back up my claim, so far, excluding the DMU interview, I've had 3 others. I've gotten 3 acceptances so far. My observation was all done prior to the interview.

My point is just that race is skewed nowadays...and the labels don't mean much. You can be from Africa, become American...be an African-American and be white. But, in your view this person isn't "diverse" enough for you. And yes, you can be considered African American for admission purposes and be "white."

Back up your claim by typing a few words on an anonymous internet forum? Ha. Well, I guess it must be true.

Your observations are formed from your own narrow perspective. As such, that's why your comments are causing controversy.

I'm going to go out on a limb and just tell you to get over yourself. You say you want diversity, but you want diversity so you can fit in with a specific group...not because you want to interact with all those of different races. Don't delude yourself. It's no crime...it's human nature for people to gravitate and bond with those who have had similar experiences as your own.

I don't understand why Ocwaveoc is being attacked for having an opinion. So he'd like to go to a school that is more diverse, that's his thing. Leave him alone. My biggest issue with DMU when I went there was the fact that I didn't meet a single non-trad while I was there. I even asked about why this was in my interview when their website advertises about 25% non-trad. I understand that most likely the non-trads go home and don't hang out with the interviewees and whatnot but why then were there nontrad student ambassadors at every other one of my interviews including my allopathic interview except DMU. DMU is beautiful with wonderful facilities and the people there were exceedingly nice but there are more important issues to picking a school than awesome facilities. There are so many other people picking their schools for reasons that I don't understand and yet people want to attack Ocwaveoc for wanting a more diverse student body which seems pretty reasonable to me. Tex, I even remember you saying at one point that you wanted to go to school with people your own age. I don't think anyone really wants to feel like they are alone in this medical school journey and would like to be around people they relate to. There is nothing wrong with that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I never meant to attack Ocwaveoc, and certaining don't want to call anyone a racist. I just wanted to discusss my personal pet peeves: First, that people say they want diversity, but what they often really want is sameness, not diversity. More people of their same racial background may make the overall student body more diverse, but if someone truly wants to experience diversity, then they should want FEWER people exactly like them.

Second, that diversity isn't just about color. Looking at people and deciding they aren't diverse based upon skin color is a bit like thinking there isn't diversity in the school if people all are all wearing purple shirts and green pants. Race is not the only means for diversity...people have many many other more important things in common or different.

I grew up believing I was Native American for my first 8 or so years. My father was dark enough that my friends asked if he was Mexican. My own apparent level of "diversity" varies throughout the year, depending on how carefully I avoid skin cancer in the summer, even though I am as white as rice (ethnically) and fading as I age. Go figure. The largest amount of discrimination I have ever felt was religious, but religion isn't visually apparent, and that is an entirely different topic.

I think Ocwaveoc (and everyone for that matter) should go to the school where they feel they will learn the most and be happiest--considering all relevant factors. I can't imagine there are any "bad" schools or truly bad places to go--just different lessons available for the learning at different schools, and at different costs. Big city/small city. Expensive/even more expensive. Large class/small class. ETC

Good luck to everyone who is lucky enough to have the decision to make!:luck:

I am hardly attacking the guy. I am just trying to tell him to give it some thought before he makes his decision based on what the people look like.

My desire to go to school with older students is because they are typically going to be past the gunner pre-med stage, and it will be a more cooperative learning environment. This isn't something I need, but it would be nice. On the other hand, it wouldn't matter to me one bit if I was the only white person who matriculated to GA-PCOM in the fall. I am going for the educational opportunities, and everything else is just filler. I guess I'm just a little surprised that others don't see it the same way.

I don't understand why Ocwaveoc is being attacked for having an opinion. So he'd like to go to a school that is more diverse, that's his thing. Leave him alone. My biggest issue with DMU when I went there was the fact that I didn't meet a single non-trad while I was there. I even asked about why this was in my interview when their website advertises about 25% non-trad. I understand that most likely the non-trads go home and don't hang out with the interviewees and whatnot but why then were there nontrad student ambassadors at every other one of my interviews including my allopathic interview except DMU. DMU is beautiful with wonderful facilities and the people there were exceedingly nice but there are more important issues to picking a school than awesome facilities. There are so many other people picking their schools for reasons that I don't understand and yet people want to attack Ocwaveoc for wanting a more diverse student body which seems pretty reasonable to me. Tex, I even remember you saying at one point that you wanted to go to school with people your own age. I don't think anyone really wants to feel like they are alone in this medical school journey and would like to be around people they relate to. There is nothing wrong with that.

There's a considerable % of our 1st year class that I'd consider non-trads. There are quite a few people who came in after working in careers in totally unrelated to medicine, people with families and young children, people in their 30s, people who have taken several years off after undergrad, etc.

I just don't think there are as many non-trads who signed up to be student ambassadors because it's a completely voluntary thing. What you CAN do is ask the administrative office to help you get in touch with the non-trads at our school. They should be more than happy to help you with that and you can talk to them and ask them questions. That's what I did when I was applying, I wanted to talk to some students who were from Canada to get their perspective on the school. And admin helped me to get in touch with those people.

forgive me if this has already been asked....

what is the finaical aid like at DMU? when do they let you know how much you will be getting from them, if any at all? Along with the acceptance, or later? Thanks

Also,
any one thinking of doing the "physician recruitment" program where you stay in Iowa for four years after reisdency and they pay for some of your education? I'm interested in learning more about that program cuz i might be interestd in doing it if i go there. Thanks!!!

So I got waitlisted at DMU. Does anyone know how likely it is that I will get a spot? I've been accepted at another school, but DMU is my first choice...

So I got waitlisted at DMU. Does anyone know how likely it is that I will get a spot? I've been accepted at another school, but DMU is my first choice...

Well, if it's any consolation, I just got my acceptance email and will be turning it down. So, there is one more spot for ya! The school facility really is something to be envious of at DMU. It's by far the cleanest, newest facility I've seen (among AZCOM, CCOM, DMU and Western). The cost of living is good too! So, good luck to those looking to get into DMU. :):thumbup:

I'm batting 1.000; I have 4 acceptances out of 4 interviews! I've yet to get an invite from PCOM, UMDNJ-SOM and NYCOM. It's interesting that they are all east coast schools.

I'd like to see if I get any MD interviews though.

Well, if it's any consolation, I just got my acceptance email and will be turning it down. So, there is one more spot for ya! The school facility really is something to be envious of at DMU. It's by far the cleanest, newest facility I've seen (among AZCOM, CCOM, DMU and Western). The cost of living is good too! So, good luck to those looking to get into DMU. :):thumbup:

I'm batting 1.000; I have 4 acceptances out of 4 interviews! I've yet to get an invite from PCOM, UMDNJ-SOM and NYCOM. It's interesting that they are all east coast schools.

I'd like to see if I get any MD interviews though.

Seems pretty nonchalant, thanks for wasting our time and someone elses opportunity.

Seems pretty nonchalant, thanks for wasting our time and someone elses opportunity.

I was very excited to interview at DMU. After some acceptances, I cancelled 3 other interview invites except for DMU because I've heard so many good things about the school.

But, as most people suggested to pick schools based on how you felt about the school on the interview day (whether you can see yourself there.....whether you'd excel there....etc....), I just didn't see myself there. It really is too bad since as a school itself, I preferred it over all other schools except for having to travel more than Western for the 3rd yr rotations. The cost of living, the school, the technology and the facility were all in favor of DMU. But, in the end, DMU didn't give me enough compelling reasons to leave the proximity to friends, proximity to where I grew up, the warmer weather and not having to drive as much for the 3rd yr clinicals offered by Western. As I've stated before, I really wished that DMU was in Socal. But, c'est la vie.

So, in the end, I didn't waste anyone's chance since I went to the interview with the best of intentions and very excited....just as excited as other schools if not more. I can't help that I just didn't see myself at DMU. That's not my fault.

Sounds like Western will be a good fit for you.
I have a question for current DMU folks - what sort of laptop is included in tuition?? I don't see it anywhere on the DMU site or in my notes from interview day.
Thanks

Sounds like Western will be a good fit for you.
I have a question for current DMU folks - what sort of laptop is included in tuition?? I don't see it anywhere on the DMU site or in my notes from interview day.
Thanks

Gateway E-295C Tablet

what does it mean when your app is on "hold" status?? :eek:

what does it mean when your app is on "hold" status?? :eek:

that they haven't rejected you but will hold your application for a review for interview at a later time.

Edit: If you're really interested in DMU you might want to show a lot of interest, as TexasTriathlete has shown on previous pages.

The best way to get of DMU's "HOLD list" is to PM Boner and he will give you a special private interview session which will then be fowarded to the admissions director. ;)

How late into the spring does DMU interview? When does the class usually fill up or is it already full?

How late into the spring does DMU interview? When does the class usually fill up or is it already full?

I believe DMU finishes interviewing applicants late April to mid May but Toohot can verify this. If they have any spots left at this point, they'll start asking people on the waitlist if they still want to go to DMU and go from there. This has probably been mentioned before but DMU gives out more acceptances than there are seats but of course not everyone will matriculate to DMU for whatever reasons.

They will keep interviewing even if the current class is full, because people take acceptances form other schools later on. In my class we had someone matriculate only a few days before classes started.

So when does the class usually fill up?

Its probably getting close to full if not already, but like I said there is a lot of movement later in the spring when the MD schools finalize there spots as well. I believe our last interview date is May 9th, but the later the interview the higher the stats you need to get accepted.

So I unfortunately applied very late in the season but my file is now complete at DMU and I have been invited for an interview on Feb. 14. I feel good about my stats:

4.0 gpa
30R
good LORs and experience
Iowa resident

What do you all think my odds are considering my interview is so late in the season??
I'm so excited to visit DMU- I hear consistently amazing things bout the school and know several amazing physicians that graduated (I shadowed at Broadlawns in Des Moines with the family practice residents last march)

Those of you with some insight let me know what you think!

So I unfortunately applied very late in the season but my file is now complete at DMU and I have been invited for an interview on Feb. 14. I feel good about my stats:

4.0 gpa
30R
good LORs and experience
Iowa resident

What do you all think my odds are considering my interview is so late in the season??
I'm so excited to visit DMU- I hear consistently amazing things bout the school and know several amazing physicians that graduated (I shadowed at Broadlawns in Des Moines with the family practice residents last march)

Those of you with some insight let me know what you think!

Stats are good, being an Iowa resident helps (although the schools is private it does favor regional applicants). And If you know you want to practice in Iowa there are a couple of scholarships/forgiveable loans for you.

certified DMU minority here...:thumbup:, and I dont have a problem with it at all. Maybe Ocwave was just on a bad day but there are more minorities at DMU than I ever thought there would be. Obviously it wasn't a huge deal for me, but when I started day one here I was actually surprised that there was more than just me;) (It's Iowa, we minorities usually hang around the big cities...lol). Actually I came to DMU (above CCOM) because I didnt mind the change. I went to a junior high that was mostly black and a high school about half black and half white. I went to the second most diverse college in the country (UIC, around 30% asian population, 20% black/latino). I eventually want to go back to Chicago, but I dont have a problem coming to Iowa at all. Everyone has been nothing but nice. I think ocwave just came on a bad day because I still remember studying in the anatomy lab with six other people and they were all asians. It was actually funny because another asian person actually came over and told us that we were taking up another groups cadaver (it wasnt our lab period) and that we had to leave.

WOW, i just got accepted off of the waitlist at DMU, I can't believe this. It is my first acceptance too. I can't wait to go there next year, its such an amazing school. I kept getting waitlisted at every school I applied to, but things finally worked out and I'm gonna be a doctor. THis is unreal. Best of luck to those of you waiting on DMU, its an amazing schoola nd i look forward to being classmates with u guys next year!!!!

certified DMU minority here...:thumbup:, and I dont have a problem with it at all. Maybe Ocwave was just on a bad day but there are more minorities at DMU than I ever thought there would be. Obviously it wasn't a huge deal for me, but when I started day one here I was actually surprised that there was more than just me;) (It's Iowa, we minorities usually hang around the big cities...lol). Actually I came to DMU (above CCOM) because I didnt mind the change. I went to a junior high that was mostly black and a high school about half black and half white. I went to the second most diverse college in the country (UIC, around 30% asian population, 20% black/latino). I eventually want to go back to Chicago, but I dont have a problem coming to Iowa at all. Everyone has been nothing but nice. I think ocwave just came on a bad day because I still remember studying in the anatomy lab with six other people and they were all asians. It was actually funny because another asian person actually came over and told us that we were taking up another groups cadaver (it wasnt our lab period) and that we had to leave.

You're a minority UIC killa??? No way:eek:

Good luck on the interviews tomorrow and Friday. I'll make sure to smile this time :) hehehehe

I interviewed sometime in October. I got my applications and secondaries done very fast, and I was wait-listed at DMU. I was so sad, the school was amazing and my interview went very well too. So, I decided to settle for my second choice and flew there to visit with the family. Needless to say, it wasn't what I wanted since I still had my heart set on DMU. Then I get a "reconsider you" letter from Danessa in December and an acceptance on January 3rd. I was soooo excited! :banana: I did the PBJ-T dance!

I interviewed sometime in October. I got my applications and secondaries done very fast, and I was wait-listed at DMU. I was so sad, the school was amazing and my interview went very well too. So, I decided to settle for my second choice and flew there to visit with the family. Needless to say, it wasn't what I wanted since I still had my heart set on DMU. Then I get a "reconsider you" letter from Danessa in December and an acceptance on January 3rd. I was soooo excited! :banana: I did the PBJ-T dance!

haha yea i felt just like u although after being waitlisted in late november i got my acceptance on january 8th

Another one of the things I love about DMU is that the computers are included in the tuition. It's not so great for most people, but, for those of us on the military scholarship, it is a blessing. The army only gives you 250 dollars a year to rent a computer...and they won't let you finance a computer or anything. They simply want you to rent, which for the amount they are allocating for the computer is very difficult. So kudos to DMU.

I put up a facebook group for the class of 2012....please join :)

DMU College of Osteopathic Medicine-Class of 2012

Hello fellow DMU applicants. I just interviewed at the school recently and...WOW. The campus just blew me away. The students I spoke with were helpful and kind (and yes, several people of several different nationalities) and the staff was wonderful. I just hope I get the privilege of joining the class of 2012 facebook group! I'd have to make a facebook account, but it would be worth it!

that they haven't rejected you but will hold your application for a review for interview at a later time.

Edit: If you're really interested in DMU you might want to show a lot of interest, as TexasTriathlete has shown on previous pages.

Clarification: I just interviewed at DCOM. my app's on "hold" at DMD.

Hey guys. No one has posted here for a long time, so bump for updates...

Bump.

i heard schools starting aug 7th

i heard schools starting aug 7th

But we have pre-orientation activities for you guys for a couple a of days before that. Mostly hangin out, getting drunk, learning the ropes from the second years.

so orientation is basically a way to get to kno ur fellow students right??? is it mandatory then??