DMU-COM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got back from my nov. 15th interview. Crossing my fingers and hoping I get in...b/c I LOVE DMU!! The faculty and students satisfaction with the school, the facilities and the curriculum are outstanding. And this school is somewhere I am seriously considering for next august.

Just some helpful info:

For those who will be renting a car while in Des Moines and are between the ages of 21-24.

Pretty much all the places charge you a $25 underage fee. But there is this one small rental company I rented from called Great Western Car Rental that does not. Believe me I looked up all the companies listed in the yellow pages and all of them charged that ridiculous fee. So if you're looking for somewhere that doesn't and is cheap and has awesome service check out:

Great Western Car Rental
515-287-1639

There is even free airport pickup and dropoff.

For my interview today I rented for one day and it was $37 and change (only b/c I opted for the insurance since I don't have insurance at home nor does my CC cover it). So basically it would cost about $30 for those that do have car insurance already or have a gold/platinum credit card that has supplemental auto insurance. Not bad considering its usually quite a bit more for us under-25ers.

Members don't see this ad.

Sending good interview vibes to those interviewing today!! I would name names but I don't know if that is considered calling someone out. You know who you are. Hope it went well!! :D

Did you interview today, EEL? If so, hope it went well for you and the other SDNers!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you interview today, EEL? If so, hope it went well for you and the other SDNers!

I wish! :rolleyes: I've only been complete at DMU since 10/31 so I have about another two weeks or less before I'm supposed to hear something. My husband has another week so we're both thinking sometime after Thanksgiving. I am getting nervous thinking about it. I just knew someone in particular was interviewing today and wanted to send some :luck: vibes. :)

EEL: I see... Well, I hope you hear something soon! It's a great school -- I was very impressed.

Good luck and let us know when you hear something! :luck:

How'd your interview go, Tex? Have you gone yet?

I'm still on hold, but I was already in the area for KCOM, so I thought I'd swing by for a tour.

I see - well, good luck on your KCOM interview then (if you haven't gone yet)! Did you get to take a tour at DMU? I agree -- it's pretty sweet! :)

You know, as Diver suggested, KCUMB is only 3 hours away; you should try to stop by there too if you're interested and have time!

KCUMB was my first stop. Phil Byrne is a cool guy, and he told me that I am likely to be invited for an interview. I went by and he gave me a tour.

The monopoly that "casey's" has on gas in this part of the country is disturbing.

The monopoly that "casey's" has on gas in this part of the country is disturbing.

:laugh: I actually worked at a Casey's in the town megboo is from. Good times, good times. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
KCUMB was pretty nice. It is hard to say how I'd compare it with other schools. They are all starting to look the same.

EEL, what a cute baby! :)

Thanks! :D I'm so excited to finally have one! It only took me a year and over 1,000 posts to figure it out. Oh and that's my son from a little over a year ago.

Edit: He's still my son, but the picture was taken a little over a year ago! Up for a limited time.

I agree. You're baby looks about the same age as mine and just as happy.

Thank you! I do love to show off my babies. He is a happy boy most of the time. He's 2.5 years old now.

My son is 2.5 too. Born on June 15th, 2005. He's the happiest, wildest, destructo-boy ever.

My son is 2.5 too. Born on June 15th, 2005. He's the happiest, wildest, destructo-boy ever.

Hmm, I guess I keep forgetting he's not actually 2.5 but close enough. :D He was born March 11, 2005. His new favorite pasttime is pushing/knocking his sister down.

You gotta love boys. Mine's favorite thing is to find the highest place he can climb to, jump, and see if he lands on his feet. He also likes to ride his bike with training wheels or go-cart in the front room and try to do it with no hands or standing up. He's a born dare devil. I'm scared about what he will put me through when he gets older.

You gotta love boys. Mine's favorite thing is to find the highest place he can climb to, jump, and see if he lands on his feet. He also likes to ride his bike with training wheels or go-cart in the front room and try to do it with no hands or standing up. He's a born dare devil. I'm scared about what he will put me through when he gets older.

Wow! I think I would have a heart attack. My son can definitely get rowdy but he's not as rough and tumble as some other little boys I know. My daughter already seems more daring than my son and she's only 14 months old.

I think that maybe it has to do with being the second kid. My older one was so calm and disciplined that I was definately not expecting my second one to be this wild.

I think that maybe it has to do with being the second kid. My older one was so calm and disciplined that I was definately not expecting my second one to be this wild.

That's a good point. My sister is the oldest and I'm 2.5 years younger than her. My mom said I always wanted to do things she was doing and was definitely more daring.

Holy crap I'm at DMU now. This place is pretty sweet.

TT, did you see us interviewees walking around yesterday (a big blob of grey and black suits)? :)

My DMU interview update: I really enjoyed DMU and I would love to go there! My interview went well . . . I don't know what I was so nervous about because my interviewers were very friendly and conversational and there was never an awkward moment! :clap: The campus and facilities are truly top notch. Their surgical skills lab, patient simulators (they have 4) and the comfy student center were some of the things that impressed me the most.

Yeah I saw you guys. My tour was with a few interviewees.

The campus is amazing. Very comprehensive, leaving nothing out. They look like they are really committed to educating their students thoroughly.

Jean told me a few things I can do that might help me get an interview. How next week goes may determine whether or not I do them.

The small class sizes of GA-PCOM and LECOM-B really appeal to me. And KCOM looks like they are about ready to step it up, facilities-wise, to compete with DMU. If I get accepted to KCOM or GA-PCOM, I may just close up shop. If not, then I will pursue my options at KCUMB and DMU.

Yeah I saw you guys. My tour was with a few interviewees.

The campus is amazing. Very comprehensive, leaving nothing out. They look like they are really committed to educating their students thoroughly.

Jean told me a few things I can do that might help me get an interview. How next week goes may determine whether or not I do them.

Are you going to share? ;)

You don't want to know.

Just kidding. She said that I might benefit from a letter of interest, since there was no essay on the DMU secondary. Something explaining my interest in osteopathic medicine and DMU specifically.

Also, she said I could send in another letter of recommendation from an alum. One of the docs I volunteer with is an alum, and has already made a call on my behalf.

You don't want to know.

Just kidding. She said that I might benefit from a letter of interest, since there was no essay on the DMU secondary. Something explaining my interest in osteopathic medicine and DMU specifically.

Also, she said I could send in another letter of recommendation from an alum. One of the docs I volunteer with is an alum, and has already made a call on my behalf.

Hey at this point I would do just about anything. :rolleyes: So you're on hold pre-interview right? I've thought about sending letters of interest to some schools but I've been waiting until I'm actually on hold. I should hear from DMU within two weeks. Hopefully I will at least have a chance to write a letter of interest if not get an interview. Thanks for sharing by the way! :)

It would never have occurred to me to send a letter of interest, but their admissions counselor that I met with told me that this suggestion came directly from the dean of admissions.

Yeah, I'm on hold, pre-interview.

You don't want to know.

Just kidding. She said that I might benefit from a letter of interest, since there was no essay on the DMU secondary....

Wait, no essay on the secondary? Am I hearing this right? So what IS on it then?

Wait, no essay on the secondary? Am I hearing this right? So what IS on it then?

Yep, no essay. It's mainly just filling out your info including a place I believe where you list your clinically related experiences. It is definitely the easiest secondary.

Yep, no essay. It's mainly just filling out your info including a place I believe where you list your clinically related experiences. It is definitely the easiest secondary.

Hallelujah! Now I just need to finish this *%@($! AACOMAS essay....

How long did it take for you guys to get your interview date after being complete? They forgot to send me my complete email until I called today to make sure they had gotten all my rec letters. I guess I've been under review for a week now. One friend got her interview date of nov 15, a week and half after getting her complete email. I hate all this waiting... DMU is the only school I applied to so i don't have any other schools I'm messing with but makes the waiting worse! I also took my MCAT earlier than i should, hadn't had any organic and physics so great evidence of me hating to wait. :)

Since I decided to go ahead and call all the schools today would it be bad to call DMU? I just wonder because they said 30 days and it's only been 3 weeks. I don't want them to be bothered by me or anything.

How long did it take for you guys to get your interview date after being complete? They forgot to send me my complete email until I called today to make sure they had gotten all my rec letters. I guess I've been under review for a week now. One friend got her interview date of nov 15, a week and half after getting her complete email. I hate all this waiting... DMU is the only school I applied to so i don't have any other schools I'm messing with but makes the waiting worse! I also took my MCAT earlier than i should, hadn't had any organic and physics so great evidence of me hating to wait. :)

Three weeks after being complete.

Thanks for answering... I actually found out yesterday and have an interview in two weeks.

anyone interview here this thursday? if so, i will see you there

I'm very much looking forward to my interview at DMU in December. I had to move it from November. But, I hope it's not too late.

I've been hearing some good things about the school. So, although I have 3 acceptances so far and have cancelled 2 interviews (LMU and Touro-CA), I thought it's definitely worth the time to check DMU out.

Flight
$290 (from Cali)
Hotel
Hearland Inn $62/night x 2 nights (yeah, I want to look around town and
check out the apts to see if I'd like living there)....ask for the DMU special
rate! They have shuttle svs from the airport to the hotel, and to DMU on
the interview day....plus free breakfast! Can't beat that!
Rental car
I haven't gotten one yet.....$85 for 2 days.....is there anything better if I
want to rent from the airport?

Rental car
I haven't gotten one yet.....$85 for 2 days.....is there anything better if I
want to rent from the airport?

I paid $12 a day for a car from Budget and picked it up at the airport. Are you 25? If you're not, that might be why it's so expensive.

Have fun at your interview! DMU totally rocked my world! ;)

I paid $12 a day for a car from Budget and picked it up at the airport. Are you 25? If you're not, that might be why it's so expensive.

prions when are you supposed to hear back?

prions when are you supposed to hear back?

:scared: They said we will be notified via email 2 weeks from 11/19. :scared: I have a feeling it might be a tad longer because of the Thanksgiving holiday. Every time I check my email I have butterflies in my stomach! :laugh:

Are you all ready for your trip on Friday?

:scared: They said we will be notified via email 2 weeks from 11/19. :scared: I have a feeling it might be a tad longer because of the Thanksgiving holiday. Every time I check my email I have butterflies in my stomach! :laugh:

Are you all ready for your trip on Friday?

That would mean by Saturday at the latest right? :luck::luck: I'm am feeling nervous for my trip and already sad about leaving my babies. I'm just so scared I'll get questions I won't know how to answer, especially in reference to healthcare. :eek::scared:

That would mean by Saturday at the latest right? :luck::luck: I'm am feeling nervous for my trip and already sad about leaving my babies. I'm just so scared I'll get questions I won't know how to answer, especially in reference to healthcare. :eek::scared:

I felt the exact same way! I was so nervous right before my interview, but after 5 minutes of talking with my interviewers I felt much more relaxed. Just remember, you're not a doctor yet so if they ask you a crazy healthcare question it's OK to say you're not sure or you don't know. Chance are you won't be asked a weird question. Also, the interview feedback on SDN was really awesome. I was asked the exact same questions that were posted on the feedback!

Good Luck :luck::luck::luck: and safe travels!

Do they let you know either way after the 4 weeks are up, or only those who are offered an interview are emailed? My application was complete 11/2 ... and I still haven't heard anything, getting a bit nervous!!

Do they let you know either way after the 4 weeks are up, or only those who are offered an interview are emailed? My application was complete 11/2 ... and I still haven't heard anything, getting a bit nervous!!

I believe they're supposed to let you know either way. I've been complete since 10/31 and I was told last week that I should know by the middle of this week. My husband was complete not long before me and just got the hold e-mail on Monday.

Hi Prions,
$12/day? Yeah, I read one of your previous posting about this. You must have traveled during the least popular season to travel to Iowa!! Even priceline.com isn't going for anything less than $30/day. My bid was $30/day at priceline.com and was rejected. I'm over 25. I hope I get lucky like you.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to DMU interview.