DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone,
I'm a 3rd year at DMU. DMU is a great school, and it's in an awesome city.
Des Moines is easy and quick to navigate from one side of the city to the other. My wife and I have really enjoyed all the summer-time festivities the city puts on i.e. jazz festivals, wine tastings, food festival, farmer's markets.

We are really sad to have to leave. Anyways, we own a house that's less than one mile away from DMU, and half a mile from Dahl's (grocery store), Walgreens, and some banks. You can walk down to all the Ingersoll shops, restaurants and pubs. It's an older house, but it's been remodeled and just about everything is brand new. It has 3 bedrooms and 1.5 bath. It's really easy to maintain (my wife does some gardening every year) and you don't have to worry about flooding basements because it's sitting on high ground. Anyways, if anyone is interested and wants more info/pics just give me a call.
515-771-6949.

Thanks and enjoy the next few years!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all. Curious as to how everyone is doing with the preparations! Has everyone laid down a deposit for apartments/housing yet? I think I am going to live in a studio/1 bedroom for the first semester/year, and am driving from WA to DMU in June to secure a place. I was thinking of purchasing a house (it is so cheap in DM), but too many variables I concluded I don't want to spend time on. I am so excited for school. Those of us on here/facebook should get together in early Aug. before orientation starts sometime.

Hey BK, I think that's a great idea. I'm driving from TN sometime around mid to late July. We should definitely get a group together before school starts.

I don't have an apartment set up yet, but I'm going to start looking online next week (after graduation). I'll also probably get a one bedroom place for the first year. But I want to live within walking distance of the school. Do you have any idea where you are going to live yet? I've been causally looking online at some of the places on the DMU portal. Some of those close to campus have gotten some really bad reviews. Yikes. Guess I'll avoid those.

This is kind of a left field question, but does anyone know how late the library/study rooms are open on campus?

This board's too quiet. What's everyone doing? Are you getting excited/nervous about school? Doing anything fun this summer?

Hey all. Curious as to how everyone is doing with the preparations! Has everyone laid down a deposit for apartments/housing yet? I think I am going to live in a studio/1 bedroom for the first semester/year, and am driving from WA to DMU in June to secure a place. I was thinking of purchasing a house (it is so cheap in DM), but too many variables I concluded I don't want to spend time on. I am so excited for school. Those of us on here/facebook should get together in early Aug. before orientation starts sometime.

Totally. Im so down. Ill be moving in to an apt. at 3000 grand in late july with a DPT student who is already there. We'll have to use our freedom while we still have it!!

Hey Im gonna be in Yakima in early June, did you say you lived in eastern WA or Central WA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey BK, I think that's a great idea. I'm driving from TN sometime around mid to late July. We should definitely get a group together before school starts.

I don't have an apartment set up yet, but I'm going to start looking online next week (after graduation). I'll also probably get a one bedroom place for the first year. But I want to live within walking distance of the school. Do you have any idea where you are going to live yet? I've been causally looking online at some of the places on the DMU portal. Some of those close to campus have gotten some really bad reviews. Yikes. Guess I'll avoid those.

This is kind of a left field question, but does anyone know how late the library/study rooms are open on campus?

This board's too quiet. What's everyone doing? Are you getting excited/nervous about school? Doing anything fun this summer?

A)SO psyched.
B)Hawaii, Central WA (wine country :D), Cabo, Texas...then Des Moines. Gotta get that relaxation in before school right??

Totally. Im so down. Ill be moving in to an apt. at 3000 grand in late july with a DPT student who is already there. We'll have to use our freedom while we still have it!!

Hey Im gonna be in Yakima in early June, did you say you lived in eastern WA or Central WA?

Yeah I live in Eastern WA!

VERY excited. 24 hours they're open? If not, really late if I remember right from my interview. Around Late July, early Aug. we should all be in IA right? I'll PM you guys with my info. soon.

Last edited:
A)SO psyched.
B)Hawaii, Central WA (wine country :D), Cabo, Texas...then Des Moines. Gotta get that relaxation in before school right??

Wow! Nice pre-school plans. Sounds like a lot of fun. You're right...gotta live like your pants are on fire until school starts.

Yeah I live in Eastern WA!

VERY excited. 24 hours they're open? If not, really late if I remember right from my interview. Around Late July, early Aug. we should all be in IA right? I'll PM you guys with my info. soon.

Sounds good. We'll definitely have to get together and check out DM. I can't wait to meet you and DoktorB (and everybody else).

U wanna come back to the great state after you are done in IA? I love it in the PNW :)

I have been all over the US, and I still think the NW is the best. You? If I remember right you were down in Cali for undergrad? I thought northern California/Central Oregon/Western WA would be awesome... or even Colorado. I love the mountains. But hey, you never know what will happen. Maybe there are some awesome PA ladies (from what I hear) in Des Moines looking for a studly pre-doctor and I may fall in love with the midwest.:rolleyes: Be sure to savor some of Washington's finest wines when you go there. I am sure you already know where you're going, but here's a site with some local wineries around Pasco/Kennewick/Richland (tricities) and Yakima.

http://www.visittri-cities.com/index.cfm?regid=%23%2F%40L%23%0A&fwnavid=%23%2FP%2C%2B%0A&navMode=(%3FT%3D%3A(Y%3EJ%3B1%5C%20%0A

Anyone have an idea when the waitlist will be ranked and how many get off it?

Curious about this too but thankful I haven't been holding my breath. ;)

Admissions office told me it "generally happens in May" (who knows when?... obviously late) and that we will be e-mailed with our ranking as soon as it is completed. Last year I think it was May 30 or 31 (from SDN posts last yr)

This medical forms thing is sure taking a while for me. For example, I am covered under my husband's policy and I need to have my Insurance company send DMU a letter. So, obviously I don't have much control over this stuff other than keep checking from time to time...

Members don't see this ad :)
Got curious enough yesterday to call & ask. Spoke to Anna who was very sweet and said "we hope to get the admissions committee together in the next week or so to rank the waitlist and start calling folks".
:rolleyes:
Again, not holding my breath :cool: but it would be a trip to get called at this point. Of course I couldn't possibly come this year but then I suppose stranger things have happened. I just had a PA student start on Wednesday (orientation week this week) who got the call on Monday afternoon when somebody didn't show up for classes. She got somebody trained to do her job and left Atlanta the next day. Of course she's 12 years younger than I am, unmarried, no mortgage, so much more doable for her.

Admissions office told me it "generally happens in May" (who knows when?... obviously late) and that we will be e-mailed with our ranking as soon as it is completed. Last year I think it was May 30 or 31 (from SDN posts last yr)

Turns out the timeline was the same this year. I got my ranking on friday!

(it was a bit odd though because another person's name was crossed out in front of mine in the e-mail. It was like they were tracking changes and forgot to accept them! So if you're name is Alaina congrats :))

Does anyone know how to get their student portal information to allow them to log on? I seem to have misplaced mine.

Does anyone know how to get their student portal information to allow them to log on? I seem to have misplaced mine.

Call DMU's IT department. They will give it to you over the phone. And get cracking on all the stuff you have to do! Namely the physical/vaccination stuff.

hi everyone....are you all getting excited about school? I can't believe I'm moving to DM in a little over a month :eek: How is everyone's apartment hunting going? I am heading to DM next week for some apartment hunting. I can't wait to meet everyone!

hi everyone....are you all getting excited about school? I can't believe I'm moving to DM in a little over a month :eek: How is everyone's apartment hunting going? I am heading to DM next week for some apartment hunting. I can't wait to meet everyone!

I get more pumped and nervous everyday. I can't wait to start. It's crazy that orientation is just two months away! I don't have a place set up yet, but there are a few places that I have my eye on.

DoktorB, Babykangaroo, and I are planning on meeting up before school starts...probably around the end of July/beginning of August. If you want to and have time, you should get together with us. Good luck finding an apartment next week!

We all need to go to the Iowa State fair when it starts. Im told its a pretty big deal.

Call DMU's IT department. They will give it to you over the phone. And get cracking on all the stuff you have to do! Namely the physical/vaccination stuff.

good thing i saw this posting as i totally missed that on the portal.
anyways, pretty excited to start up and found a place in west des moines.
but cherishing the time i have left in the pnw for sure. tc everyone!

good thing i saw this posting as i totally missed that on the portal.
anyways, pretty excited to start up and found a place in west des moines.
but cherishing the time i have left in the pnw for sure. tc everyone!

qtpig, where in seattle do you live? when are you heading over there? you can pm me if you don't want all the info public :).

There are quite a few pacific northwesterners attending DMU next year!

I only have two weeks of work left. I can't wait to start!

I was wondering if anyone uses studentconsult.com for all of their class textbooks. It seems like it would be easier to have all your study resources on the web.

I have been working at a hospital for the past year and a lot of shadowing medical students have been telling me about it. I was just wondering if it has hit DMU yet.

I am so ready to get that new computer. mine is slowly dying on me. must..make..it..till..late..july.... Anyone else check it out on the portal yet? They linked to the Dell site and you can check out all the specs and stuff. Really cool :) ..but kind of a small screen.

I still need to find a place to live. Is anyone going to invite me to live with them?

anyone want to join me Wednesday, July 29 at 5:00 pm to pick up our laptops?? :)

I am apartment hunting right now on the web and noticed that there are so many on Grand Ave. This is perfect and I plan on getting a studio apt.

Having said this, I am not able to fly to Des Moines to shop around for apts so I am simply using pictures as my guide to decide where to stay for the year. Are there a few places around campus that I should definitely steer clear of? Likewise, is there a specific place that you would recommend looking into for a studio apt? It is extremely difficult to get a sense of what the place is like just from pictures. And any input would be appreciated.

Lastly, for those of you who are familiar with the surrounding area, is it relatively safe to walk alone? Being female, would it be advantageous to live very close to the school or is a small ten minute walk no big deal?

Thanks so much!

Sydney, I work in the marketing dept at DMU and live on Grand Ave. It's definitely safe to walk to and from the university. (I'm about 4 blocks from the school). Good luck when you get here!

I am so ready to get that new computer. mine is slowly dying on me. must..make..it..till..late..july.... Anyone else check it out on the portal yet? They linked to the Dell site and you can check out all the specs and stuff. Really cool :) ..but kind of a small screen.

Yeah I checked out the tablets on the portal but when I checked it out I was taken to a toshiba model...I noticed you said Dell so I was curious. I am going the first day to pick mine up @ 2!:D

I withdrew my acceptance from DMU yesterday. It was my toughest decision yet, I really loved the school and I am sure a very qualified and lucky individual will be made very happy soon.

Best of luck to everyone.

Sydney, I work in the marketing dept at DMU and live on Grand Ave. It's definitely safe to walk to and from the university. (I'm about 4 blocks from the school). Good luck when you get here!

Thank you for your response!

If anybody is still looking for a roomie, I would love to share a place to cut down on living costs. So, let me know if you still are looking for a place to stay. Although I am considering a studio apt, I do have a deposit down on a place but need somebody to share it with as I can't afford to living in a large place by myself. Thanks!

Hey Sydney, I've sent you a PM a few days back about me wanting a roomie too. Guess you didn't get that PM. Anyways, can you post more info about the place, like how big it is, what kind of utilities tenants are responsible for, how far it is from DMU, and whether it's hardwood floor or carpet...? I'm looking for something like $500, more or less, including everything. I have a few in mind, but they're all studio apartments. By the way, when is everyone heading to DMU? Me around July 21. Hope to get to know someone before school starts.
Thank you for your response!

If anybody is still looking for a roomie, I would love to share a place to cut down on living costs. So, let me know if you still are looking for a place to stay. Although I am considering a studio apt, I do have a deposit down on a place but need somebody to share it with as I can't afford to living in a large place by myself. Thanks!

Do we have a FB for our class yet? Can someone give me the link? Thanks.

Yeah I checked out the tablets on the portal but when I checked it out I was taken to a toshiba model...I noticed you said Dell so I was curious. I am going the first day to pick mine up @ 2!

just looked again, its definitely a toshiba.

anyone want to join me Wednesday, July 29 at 5:00 pm to pick up our laptops?? :)

I'm picking mine up on the 28th. I can't wait because I haven't had a computer for about 2.5 years. I have to use the computers at the library, and the people here drive me crazy. They are so loud and inconsiderate! Oh well, sorry just venting a little.

But yeah, I'm super pumped about the laptop. Anyone ever use the microsoft program called onenote? Someone showed it to me the other day, and it looks like a great way to take notes and such. It seems way better than just taking notes on word. Pretty sure our laptops should have the program on it.

When my friend showed me onenote, I got all excited. Then I realized how big of a nerd I'm becoming. Seriously though, who gets excited about a computer program to take notes on?...sigh

Hey Sydney, I've sent you a PM a few days back about me wanting a roomie too. Guess you didn't get that PM. Anyways, can you post more info about the place, like how big it is, what kind of utilities tenants are responsible for, how far it is from DMU, and whether it's hardwood floor or carpet...? I'm looking for something like $500, more or less, including everything. I have a few in mind, but they're all studio apartments. By the way, when is everyone heading to DMU? Me around July 21. Hope to get to know someone before school starts.

Hey Amy, looks like I'll be getting to DM on July 27. It should be a fun two days of driving.

A few of us on here are going to get together before school starts, so you should definitely join us! No definite plans are set yet, but we should figure out the details when it gets closer to the end of July. It'll be good to get hang out and get to know some people before school starts. Good luck with your apartment hunting!

Hey Amy, looks like I'll be getting to DM on July 27. It should be a fun two days of driving.

A few of us on here are going to get together before school starts, so you should definitely join us! No definite plans are set yet, but we should figure out the details when it gets closer to the end of July. It'll be good to get hang out and get to know some people before school starts. Good luck with your apartment hunting!

Hey ill roll in on the 27th too. about a 2.5 day drive for me too.

I will be in Des Moines on the 30/31 of July!

After reading about DMU, I really like this school, but most of the schools I'm applying to (or thinking or applying to) are on the East Coast. I live in CT and would like to practice in CT in the future, so would I be able to come back to my home state after going to DMU (if I was lucky enough to get in!)? I know Iowa is pretty far away so most of the rotation sites are probably not near CT/NY area?