DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does any 1 know or have a list of supplies/books that a first year at DMU would need? Or do we get this at orientation? I wouldn't mind getting a head start on finding what I need.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Does any 1 know or have a list of supplies/books that a first year at DMU would need? Or do we get this at orientation? I wouldn't mind getting a head start on finding what I need.

Thanks

I might suggest getting an anatomy book. I heard that is the toughest course. Or maybe get a Step I book so you have an idea what is going to be covered for our first Board Exam.

I might suggest getting an anatomy book. I heard that is the toughest course. Or maybe get a Step I book so you have an idea what is going to be covered for our first Board Exam.

I just finished my second year at DMU. I suggest getting as few books as possible for classes. That was the biggest mistake I made when I started. I thought I had to read every single book and go over all the lectures. It is impossible to do that. Every class will have "required texts," but most of the time you won't need them. All of the information you need for tests will be presented in lectures/on PowerPoints (except for a couple classes). Try and keep your resources to a minimum (mainly just study lectures).
You should get Netter's atlas for anatomy...and maybe the dead book (sorry, forgot what the actual name is for it). When you get here, ask the students from the class above you what books you need for what classes (95% of the time you won't need any).
As far as the boards go, I don't think it's a good idea to waste time during your first year even worry about boards. When you get to 2nd year, it might be a good idea to get First Aid and read through it as you go through each system. The majority of stuff on boards will be presented during 2nd year (except micro).

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what the $1345 in equipment that is listed on the cost of attendance sheet is for? I can see stethoscope, but what else do they have us buy? Is it all required or is some of it optional?

Have you guys found an apartment yet? Does anyone need a roommate? :)

headed over to des moines on june 14th to do some apartment shopping. anyone going to be around then?

Does anyone know what the $1345 in equipment that is listed on the cost of attendance sheet is for? I can see stethoscope, but what else do they have us buy? Is it all required or is some of it optional?

I'm pretty sure that's for the computer they issue us, not 100% certain though.

If you're going to buy any book, buy the Thieme Anatomy Atlas. If you're into anatomy, buy the 3 book series. Netter is outdated and the Thieme images and format are far superior. The DPTs use Thieme for their course - Dr. Matz has been trying to get the DOs switched over for the past 2 years. Anything else can be gotten from the library or online. Study guides from previous years are always floating around too.
I really can't remember needing anything other than an anatomy atlas. Don't waste your money on books.
Also, don't buy new PD equipment when the time comes. Search for used stuff on ebay. A new stethoscope would be the only thing I'd get new, as you'll have it for years.
Save your money for a new iPhone for when you start rotations, travel to away rotations, board fees, interview expenses, relocation, time between disbursements - this is stuff that DMU and you will underbudget (seems far away, but the less crap you buy the first 2 years, the more you'll hopefully have for the last 2).

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew my acceptance to DMU yesterday and was confirmed by e-mail today that it was processed. Hopefully that seat will be open to one of you guys that are waiting!

Anyone hear back about financial aid? How long did it take?

Hey everyone, I was just accepted off of the waiting list a few days ago and now have the pleasure of trying to find housing. I don't have access to my portal yet, but I figure here is a good place to start to see if anyone looking for a roommate? I would like to room with someone near campus, but I'm flexible. Also, if anyone knows of any openings in any of the apartments around DMU I'd appreciate it if they could let me know. Thanks!

Hey everyone, I was just accepted off of the waiting list a few days ago and now have the pleasure of trying to find housing. I don't have access to my portal yet, but I figure here is a good place to start to see if anyone looking for a roommate? I would like to room with someone near campus, but I'm flexible. Also, if anyone knows of any openings in any of the apartments around DMU I'd appreciate it if they could let me know. Thanks!

Congratulations. Look here to get started: www.dmu.edu/admissions/quickview/housing.pdf

visit www.padmapper.com and look near 50312.

Congratulations DMUbound. Were you in the 1st quarter of the Alternate List?

Congratulations DMUbound. Were you in the 1st quarter of the Alternate List?

Thanks! Actually I was in the second quarter of the Alternate list as of earlier this year. I'm guessing I might have been on the border and as people got accepted, I was moved up but who knows.

Thanks! Actually I was in the second quarter of the Alternate list as of earlier this year. I'm guessing I might have been on the border and as people got accepted, I was moved up but who knows.

Yes that is an interesting happening. Congrats though!

congrats! How did they contact you? Phone call or letter?

Hey guys, if anyone already found an apartment and still need a roommate, please let me know!!!!!

A little bit about myself: 22, female, non-smoker

Thank you thank you thank you!!!

Come on more waitlist movement!! WOO

Come on more waitlist movement!! WOO

Interesting happening to them taking someone off the 2nd quarter of the list. Is anyone else in the first quarter and has not been taking off the waitlist yet?

Interesting happening to them taking someone off the 2nd quarter of the list. Is anyone else in the first quarter and has not been taking off the waitlist yet?

Yeah I'm 1st quarter, that's why I found it so interesting :) Although our e-mail does say "...updated grades, test scores and clinical experiences are added to candidate's files as they become available causing the list to remain very fluid and volatile in nature." So does that mean we could start in the first quarter, but get pushed down? LOL this process is so fun!

Last edited:
I'm withdrawing my acceptance today. (I got into my state school off their waitlist) I hope it goes to someone who really wants it! Best of Luck!

congrats! How did they contact you? Phone call or letter?

They actually emailed me my acceptance letter initially. Later I received the "official" letter in the mail. The list seems rather volatile. I was so surprised to find that email awaiting in my inbox. I hope everyone has the same luck that I had.

Anyone hear back about financial aid? How long did it take?

My finanical aid award letter is on the portal today.

Has anyone tried the pre-tests on ANGEL yet? I did 3 last night and they weren't that bad.

... Just took the cell & tissue test - that one was bad. I've never covered any of that material before.

Last edited:
Where does that show up? Did they notify you in some way?

I started the physiology one. +pissed+

Click the financial aid & accounting tab on top of the portal. A financial aid summary will be at the top of the page.

They didn't send me an email - I've just been checking regularly.

My finanical aid award letter is on the portal today.

Mine hasn't shown up yet, but at least my university finally posted my degree so I can send my final transcript off.

Hopefully it will show up soon. I submitted mine last month so I'm sure I'm towards the bottom of the pile.

I was told I was in the first quarter of the list.. haven't heard anything else from this school since then!

I was told I was in the first quarter of the list.. haven't heard anything else from this school since then!

Ditto.

I just got off the phone w/ Anna; she said that no one has been accepted from the 2nd quarter of the alternate list yet (to her knowledge) and if you were placed in the first quarter then you're still in the first quarter of the list. Anyone else confused?

Ditto.

I just got off the phone w/ Anna; she said that no one has been accepted from the 2nd quarter of the alternate list yet (to her knowledge) and if you were placed in the first quarter then you're still in the first quarter of the list. Anyone else confused?

Should've asked if people can be moved from lower quarters to upper quarters.

I am confused too. Fortunately I have got somewhere else but I really want to go to DMU. I thought that they would for sure take people from the first part of the list before the second?

Originally Posted by Polo423

Good point... I only asked if I've been moved down and she said no.

How ironic that I posted here last night and was accepted this morning!! :)
Have to decide between DMU and KCOM now asap! Any swaying words from DMU students??

Could anyone tell me when orientation is and when classes start? I can't access it yet!

How ironic that I posted here last night and was accepted this morning!! :)
Have to decide between DMU and KCOM now asap! Any swaying words from DMU students??

Congrats Daisy! Sorry can't help with the decision, don't know much about KCOM.

has everyone completed their health assessment already? I'm an immigrant and stressing about it since I don't have any immunization records

has everyone completed their health assessment already? I'm an immigrant and stressing about it since I don't have any immunization records

I have. I didn't have most records either, although I'm not an immigrant, just older:) Just take all that paperwork to your primary care doc and they'll order all the necessary labwork and tell you what you need. I did it at my school (UCSD) health clinic for relatively cheap.

I'm off the alternate list! I got my acceptance today. I'll be sending my deposit tomorrow!

Yeah it was around 4:30. I am definitely taking the seat. I am not big on sdn, but good luck to those still on the wait list and I look forward to meeting all of you in August!

My financial aid finally showed up yesterday. Now I just need the portal to show that my transcripts have arrived.

I'm off the alternate list! I got my acceptance today. I'll be sending my deposit tomorrow!

Congratulations. Glad to see another person is coming from Madison.

I think all schools should have an online countdown on their sites for seats available. Once someone accepts and pays the count goes down. That way we people on the waitlists will know our chances better :) Anyone know the number of unconfirmed spots left?

Last edited:
just got an email I've been accepted off the waitlist!!! 1000$ due monday at 5pm. yeeks!