DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
uhhh...how do we log into our DMU e-mail?

Members don't see this ad.

In the top right corner of the portal there is a box for webmail access. Just click on that and enter your id and password they sent in the mail. If your having problems, call/email the IT department.

Members don't see this ad :)

I was having trouble with it earlier because when I followed the link it would automatically fill in the username as the email address...turns out you need to use the network user name (the username for the portal) to login to your email account.

I just withdrew my acceptance. Hopefully it'll go to one of you SDNers who are waiting. :luck:luck!

anyone know when housing near dmu (3000 grand, ingersoll, etc) starts to fill up? when is the latest I should try to get a place?

anyone know when housing near dmu (3000 grand, ingersoll, etc) starts to fill up? when is the latest I should try to get a place?

I spoke with the management at 3000 Grand last week. She said that in order to get into an apartment in the building, you need to have an application in pretty soon. They set up a wait-list (great, another wait-list) and as apartments become available people get them in order of applications received.

I was actually filling out the app myself today, until I realized that you have to pay a $325 deposit + $25 app fee. Then, if you decide not to move there, I don't think you get that money back. I'm calling again tomorrow to verify.

I spoke with the management at 3000 Grand last week. She said that in order to get into an apartment in the building, you need to have an application in pretty soon. They set up a wait-list (great, another wait-list) and as apartments become available people get them in order of applications received.

I was actually filling out the app myself today, until I realized that you have to pay a $325 deposit + $25 app fee. Then, if you decide not to move there, I don't think you get that money back. I'm calling again tomorrow to verify.

This is making me nervous. I haven't looked into housing AT ALL b/c i'm still not sure where i'm going to be this fall. I'm still waiting for a decision from my state school, hopefully I get a decision by the end of this month :xf: Le sigh...

Have you heard from UIC yet rocketman?

This is making me nervous. I haven't looked into housing AT ALL b/c i'm still not sure where i'm going to be this fall. I'm still waiting for a decision from my state school, hopefully I get a decision by the end of this month :xf: Le sigh...

Have you heard from UIC yet rocketman?

There is ample housing in Des Moines, so I wouldn't worry about it. Plus, DMU is a rad school (I'm from cali and love that word!) so no matter what happens, were going to get a great education and become awesome doctors!!

I am wait-listed/decision pending at UVM, OUWB, and UIC currently. How it will shake out, I have 0 idea.

I hope you get in where you want autumnchild. We'll have a better idea in a month or so:)

Members don't see this ad :)
The Orientation Schedule has been posted on the portal!!!! Get excited!!!!

T-minus 102 Days

:soexcited:

Can anyone recommend housing within walking distance of the school? Im looking for an affordable studio.

So, I've read through about 20-30 reviews of apartments in the Des Moines area, and most all of them are terrible. The "good" reviews are claimed to be written by management of the apartment, or they are for the apartments with $1000 rent. Basically, I have no real useful information on the different apartment complexes available.

I know a few people on here have asked for current students to chime in, however it doesn't seem to be happening. Has anyone gone back to the area to check out a few places? Or have you received any info on any place that is of value? This is becoming a headache already..

So, I've read through about 20-30 reviews of apartments in the Des Moines area, and most all of them are terrible. The "good" reviews are claimed to be written by management of the apartment, or they are for the apartments with $1000 rent. Basically, I have no real useful information on the different apartment complexes available.

I know a few people on here have asked for current students to chime in, however it doesn't seem to be happening. Has anyone gone back to the area to check out a few places? Or have you received any info on any place that is of value? This is becoming a headache already..

I will say that people who have a negative experience are more likely to go online and rant about their situation than people that have a positive one.

I went back a checked out a few places. I'm pretty much set on the Imperial (directly across from DMU). I have seen the negative reviews online, but I talked to a current student that lives there and hasn't had any problems. It is nice that everything is included in your rent except electricity which is a bonus in my eyes since you don't have to worry about a lot of variability in utility costs.

Can anyone recommend housing within walking distance of the school? Im looking for an affordable studio.

We just put down a deposit on an apartment at 3000 grand. 2bed/2 bath, 1150 sq ft. Costs like $880. The "lady" that has gotten such negative reviews, I have found to be quite pleasant. We are going for a six month lease, and then going to shop around while we are there. For me, being close to school initially is a huge benefit.

Mark your calendars. August 27th will be the White Coat Ceremony.

I finally gave up my $500 for the final seat deposit. I guess it's so official now :)

I finally gave up my $500 for the final seat deposit. I guess it's so official now :)
Awesome! They didn't give me the scholarship I was hoping for, so I'm going to pout and wait until this weekend

Awesome! They didn't give me the scholarship I was hoping for, so I'm going to pout and wait until this weekend

There is still a possibility of getting a scholarship. I checked my e-mail this morning and got the great news that I was awarded one. I was under the impression they were already given out so this was definitely unexpected. I am so thankful and hopefully you'll get some good news as well.

I will be paying my final seat deposit tonight and am excited to be in the class of 2015 :)

I gave up my seat today, a very hard decision. Best of luck to you all. DMU is awesome! Congrats future doctors! :thumbup::D

I have lived at 3000 Grand for the last 2 years and have nothing bad to say about the place. They are very well maintained and the staff is great.

The "lady" that people seem to have a problem with is actually quite a nice person. But if you treat her (or the facilities) poorly she will let you know it. So if you come here acting like you are still in undergrad and thinking the apartment is a dorm you will have problems. I've seen some of the crap some DMU students have tried to pull here and I am surprised that they even made it into medical school.

While 3000 Grand has a lot of DMU students it also has other people as well and many of them are over the age of 65. The staff is very clear about loud partying, you get one warning, if it happens again you're out. Which I support since I want to be able to study at home if I wanted to without someone's woofer thumping through my walls.

So it's a great place to call home. Well worth the price. You will have no problems with the "lady" as long as you act like an adult.

If you're looking for housing and don't want to live in the "DMU dorms" I would recommend checking out Beaverdale. It's a cool little part of town 2.5 miles north of DMU. I lived there during my time at DMU and it was awesome. All of the benefits of the apartments (walking distance to grocery store, bars, restaurants, shops, unofficial dog park), plus a cool little community feel. It's also very accessible to the biking trails which will safely get you anywhere in town (we rode our bikes everywhere - farmers market on saturday's, to the bars downtown, next towns over, lake, park, etc...). Close to the hospitals too. Very nice area for a family or a couple/few students who want to get a place a little bit away from school, but not too far. My wife and I paid $1000/mo for a nice 1100 sq ft house with yard and garage. Lots of DMU students lived in that area when I did (We had 4 living within 3 blocks, which was nice).
"DMU dorms" are convenient and lots of stuff within walking distance on Ingersoll. Jordan Creek area has lots of apartments, close to the mall, but is pretty far away and kind of a cluster (lots of development and traffic).
Just FYI.

I withdrew my acceptance this morning. sucks. Hopefully they take someone off the waitlist. Best of luck to everyone.

I withdrew my acceptance this morning. sucks. Hopefully they take someone off the waitlist. Best of luck to everyone.

I just checked your mdapps. That is the most ridiculous LOI timeline of all time. Awesome man! Hopefully I get your spot, haha.

I just checked your mdapps. That is the most ridiculous LOI timeline of all time. Awesome man! Hopefully I get your spot, haha.
It was pretty ridiculous. Coincidence, or not? I may never know. :xf:Here's to some WL movement for you, taylormade:xf:

It was pretty ridiculous. Coincidence, or not? I may never know. :xf:Here's to some WL movement for you, taylormade:xf:

So I'm assuming you sent your LOI by e-mail? Just want to ask why you chose to do that instead of sending by way of snail mail...

I'm looking to send one to a school I am on the waitlist on.

So I'm assuming you sent your LOI by e-mail? Just want to ask why you chose to do that instead of sending by way of snail mail...

I'm looking to send one to a school I am on the waitlist on.
I called the admissions office and asked if they accepted LOIs and if so, what would be the best way to send it.

Heres hoping I get one of the open spots! :xf:

Also, for your LOI, what format did you use? Is there anyway you could e-mail me yours so I could get an idea of the format/what to put into a good LOI.

Thanks!

Heres hoping I get one of the open spots! :xf:

Also, for your LOI, what format did you use? Is there anyway you could e-mail me yours so I could get an idea of the format/what to put into a good LOI.

Thanks!
PM Sent. Keep in mind that I sent 3 letters to DMU about their scholarships, which were apparently unsuccessful :(

The alternate list info has been released. 189 on the list and you're only told which quarter of the list you fall into (roughly 47 ppl per quarter). Good luck guys!

The alternate list info has been released. 189 on the list and you're only told which quarter of the list you fall into (roughly 47 ppl per quarter). Good luck guys!

Where did you end up?

I'm in the second quarter, so it doesn't look good for me...DMU typically has little movement (none at all last year), so if you're not in the top quarter, it's probably not going to happen.

I really like DSM too. :(

Yup, got the same e-mail and was excited to finally hear some kind of word from DMU! Still holding them high in the running! Come on wait list movement!

Polo I love your picture - I've been addicted to Phineas and Ferb ever since my girlfriend introduced me to the show haha.

Polo I love your picture - I've been addicted to Phineas and Ferb ever since my girlfriend introduced me to the show haha.

LOL thanks! My nephew and niece got me hooked on it, and Dr. Doof is the best evil doctor ever!

I was put into the top quarter as well. DMU is my absolute dream school, I love it. I already secured my seat at one school, but I'm definitely going to hold out until the end of June and hope the wait list actually moves.

I am thinking about getting an apartment at Imperial. But, there are so many bad reviews on the internet. Is it really that bad?

* Useful, subjective resources are apartmentratings.com.
* Something I wish I knew before our trip: current tenants are only required to give 30-days notice for move-out, so property managers know true availability 1-month out. As a renter, your leverage is the ~30 day hold with a deposit (ex: tenants give notice on June 1st, they must move out by end of June. Renter can place deposit on July 1st and legally hold apartment for moving in on July 30th). This is how you must approach each property manager with your “estimated move-in”.

* P = secured parking
* LOS =Laundry on-site
*LIN = Laundry in unit

Downtown - Downtown is only a 5-10 minute drive from DMU, and I’m sure bus routes are available. I found it more appealing to live closer to campus. Note: I noticed many more options while walking around downtown, but didn’t explore them much.
  • Kirkwood - Nobody ever in office, and multiple voice mails ignored (this is formerly a hotel, which is renovated for apartments/condos...felt like a haunted building). LIN
  • Metro Lofts/Vine St Lofts - The downtown theme: communication problems (could not reach for tour)
  • These adjacent complexes cannot be more than 2 or 3 years old. They are worth checking-out if the downtown area interests you.
  • Plaza Building - mostly condo owners, but there were 2 rentals as of early May. Note that renting from a homeowner means you can negotiate. However, they start in the higher rent range ($1500 1BR - and every condo varies), but unique high-rise living. LIN

Grand Ave vicinity - Close to campus (postings below are walkable)
  • Cortez - could not arrange an interview. There is one unit being remodeled currently, and it can be toured in late May. The manager was hard to get a hold of, but the units looked nice/affordable on the Craigslist ad I saw.
  • 3000 Grand - Many people live here, but I would not. As on other SDN posts, the manager is very abrasive (she does not care about your questions or concerns, but only hers/the property’s -- it was pretty dumb).
  • The units have all of the basics (but outdated appliances). This is a large building. 2 block proximity to campus is a plus, DMU dorms status seems accurate. LOS
  • These go quick -- may already be gone -- so move fast
  • Windsor Terrace - This is the best $$-saving option and is across the street from DMU.
  • Surprisingly nice units for ~$550-$650 for 1 BR, $700-800 range for 2BR. The units were aged however, and it seemed like winter months may be an issue. Really nice property manager. In one unit we toured, there were several mouse traps with allegations of rodents by the tenants. Manager also stated “we’ve never had the BAD type of roaches”... it’s your call. LOS (in basement), P
  • Reilly Grand (town homes) - Across street from DMU. Most expensive option, which gives you 2BR of isolated/private living space + attached 1 car garage with ample storage.
  • $1050 for 2 BR town home. This was hard for my fiance and I to justify, being on a budget. These are pretty nice units, and they are probably all booked-up by now, but give it a try. The manager’s name is Ryan: (515) 991-1943, http://reillygrand.com/TownHome_Information.html
  • Hamilton Building - another older building from the outside, but property managers have been remodeling each unit in recent years. They are spacious and kept-up well, and you can tell that the landlords care.
  • $650-$800 for 1 BR, ~$1000 for 2BR. 1 garage parking space included in rent.
  • LOS, P, manager lives on site
  • Ingersoll Towers (lofts on Ingersoll & MLK blvd) - modern units (cement floors, vent-tubes snaking across your ceiling). Sorry, but I have no interest in the “loft lifestyle”.
  • Besides my bias, this is a good option for some. It is a 5 minutes’ drive to DMU, and it has all the amenities of a modern complex (pool, on-site manager, 24-hour fitness room, community room and kitchen, underground parking, etc).
  • I believe rent was in the $800/mo range, with the standard extra fee for secured parking.

West Des Moines - the first 3 postings here are very close to the “Jordan Creek Mall”, Costco shopping and the like. It makes for a good family lifestyle, and fits a student well if you are OK with a commute. The later three postings are about 5 minutes closer to campus, and are a straight shot up Grand Ave. All of these have Washer and Dryer in units, open parking lots with garage parking available with extra fee.
  • TurtleCreek Apts - nearly 20 buildings of humans (same goes for The Signature Place and Broodmoor). I was overwhelmed. One of many large complexes. These are nice for the fitness centers, pool/hot-tub and business rooms, yet despite the value that everyone talks-up in West Des Moines.
  • 1BR for $850+. Garage parking is ~$50/mo.
  • 10-20minute drive to campus taking Grand Ave (no freeway commute necessary)
  • I was detoured by the sleazy sales approach here, “hurry-up and sign tonight, because the rent for your desired unit goes up $200 tomorrow”. See ya later.
  • The Signature Place - less crowded complex, nicer units and property amenities... all at lower price than TurtleCreek or Broodmoor.
  • $750 for 1BR w/ den (great study space). Garage parking is ~$50/mo extra, and once you get one, you are locked-in for the remainder of your lease.
  • 10-20minute drive to campus taking Grand Ave (no freeway commute necessary)
  • Precaution: on apartmentratings.com, there were some scathing reviews of the current management and tenants (dog feces is one persistent problem, haha)
  • Broodmoor at Jordan Creek - And the Swankiest-apartment award goes to...
  • ~$950/mo for 1BR + standard parking fees + discounted cable/internet packages.
  • Nicest/most updated units out there. Complex amenities were impressive (great fitness room, movie theater for residents - about a dozen seats, lap pool+recreational pool, hot-tub.)
  • This commute was the cut-off for me -- 20-25 minute, freeway being the best option.
  • Crowne Pointe/Westbrooke - decently-maintained units, but fitness center and pool. were lacking. Overall not the best value residence.
  • ~$700 for 2BR
  • Unique “exterior floorplan” option at Westbrooke, where units have private balconies/entrances. These had more square footage (larger kitchens) and privacy.
  • The Jordan Creek Apartments - a more affordable West Des Moines option -- comes with trade-offs.
  • Reasonably maintained complex and units, but I was detoured by the potent cigarette smoke in the hall of the unit we toured. Supposedly, there is no smoking ordinance for residences in the state of IA!?
  • very close to Raccoon River Park & trails
  • Bennett Grand - best value out of the West Des Moines group (amenities, price, and proximity to campus)
  • $650+/mo, with cheaper parking than most ($25 for year long garage spot, or $35 month-to-month). No fitness room.
  • Apartments for rent are under 5 years-old, and well worth it as long as you aren’t looking for scenery.
  • very close to Raccoon River Park & trails

South of DMU
  • Park Avenue - Well-maintained units. Dog-friendly! Interesting neighborhood, where industrial, residential, and public parks collide.
  • Competitive pricing. Standard parking fees, pool and amenities.
  • Very close to Gray’s Lake park & trails, which look awesome.
  • DMU commute is 7-15 minutes
  • Wakonda Village - formerly a military housing complex. Tons of charm in this complex with a “neighborhood feel”. Very close to airport (noise wasn’t an issue). Floor-plans are a little snug.
  • Competitive pricing, but lacks covered parking, and the units are a dated and cramped for space.
  • Well-managed and maintained complex with red-brick, east-coast charm.

I hope this guide helps you find the right place! This whirlwind tour was way to much work. Feel free to PM me with questions.

don't know about imperial though...

I didn't find the Imperial bad when I toured it and I'm going to live there next year. The hallways are kind of dark and gloomy, but the units are nice. It would be better if it had a larger laundry facilities, but for the price and utilities included it is hard to beat.

PM me if you have more questions.

Last edited:
I was put into the top quarter as well. DMU is my absolute dream school, I love it. I already secured my seat at one school, but I'm definitely going to hold out until the end of June and hope the wait list actually moves.

FWIW, I will be withdrawing my acceptance from DMU once everything is confirmed for the school I have decided to attend instead. I was accepted off the waitlist of one of my top choices :D. So hopefully there will be at least one person pulled off the waitlist.

FWIW, I will be withdrawing my acceptance from DMU once everything is confirmed for the school I have decided to attend instead. I was accepted off the waitlist of one of my top choices :D. So hopefully there will be at least one person pulled off the waitlist.

Congratulations! I hope there are more like you out there haha

Any word of people recently being accepted from off the waitlist?