Do I even have a shot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc5467

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
To my fellow SDN members,

I am currently an undergraduate going into my junior year and am questioning if It's worth it to continue my premedical endeavors. From the way it looks I will be graduating with a 3.2 cGPA and 3.0 sGPA. I've considered post-bad premed programs as well as SMP's but I constantly worry about the amount of debt I will have piled up. Do I even have a shot at these programs after graduation? and to people who have gone through these programs, do you think these programs have been worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

The better questions are:

1) If you don't do SMP what will you do?
2) If you don't try now, will you regret it later? If so, refer to #1

I am an ultra-nontrad as told to me by my esteemed friends here on SDN. My ugrad GPA is far worse than yours, my "length of life" is probably far greater than yours.

For me, the regret of my undergraduate years hung over me like a cloud. My career was well and good but my passion? Not in it. First day back in school, at the age of 44, I lit up. I love school and figured out how to get the grades I need to be competitive.

Medical schools will always be around. My gentle suggestion to you would be focus on your grades now, do the very best you can and see where you are when you get to the middle of your senior year. THEN decide: MCAT or SMP or ??

And then if you decide to ??, remember: med schools are not going anywhere. After some time away from school, you may find that what want is still there.

Sorry if I'm rambling, 13 hours in the library prepping for that htingermajiggy test I have to take and I'm shot.

Best of luck to you no matter what you do!

A 3.0-3.2 undergrad GPA will not kill your chances at DO or MD schools (though the MD route will be longer). But you're right. Grade repair isn't cheap. A DIY post-bacc would probably be your best option.

You have two years left, though. 4.0 (or close to that) semesters from here on out and a strong MCAT — along with great ECs, LoR's, etc. — could give you a good shot if you apply broadly. Schools love upward trends.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The better questions are:

1) If you don't do SMP what will you do?
2) If you don't try now, will you regret it later? If so, refer to #1

I am an ultra-nontrad as told to me by my esteemed friends here on SDN. My ugrad GPA is far worse than yours, my "length of life" is probably far greater than yours.

For me, the regret of my undergraduate years hung over me like a cloud. My career was well and good but my passion? Not in it. First day back in school, at the age of 44, I lit up. I love school and figured out how to get the grades I need to be competitive.

Medical schools will always be around. My gentle suggestion to you would be focus on your grades now, do the very best you can and see where you are when you get to the middle of your senior year. THEN decide: MCAT or SMP or ??

And then if you decide to ??, remember: med schools are not going anywhere. After some time away from school, you may find that what want is still there.

Sorry if I'm rambling, 13 hours in the library prepping for that htingermajiggy test I have to take and I'm shot.

Best of luck to you no matter what you do!
Thank you so much this gives me hope! I was considering working as a basic lab technician or whatever job my bachelors degree can get me right out of college, but the more I think about it the more I realize I could be miserable the rest of my life. I'm definitely going to aim for near perfect grades in the upcoming years. Would you happen to know when exactly I would have to apply to these programs if I wanted to enter them right after senior year?

A 3.0-3.2 undergrad GPA will not kill your chances at DO or MD schools (though the MD route will be longer). But you're right. Grade repair isn't cheap. A DIY post-bacc would probably be your best option.

You have two years left, though. 4.0 (or close to that) semesters from here on out and a strong MCAT — along with great ECs, LoR's, etc. — could give you a good shot if you apply broadly. Schools love upward trends.
Thanks I really appreciate the response! Do you think a DIY post bacc or SMP would be possible if I work full-time as well?

To my fellow SDN members,

I am currently an undergraduate going into my junior year and am questioning if It's worth it to continue my premedical endeavors. From the way it looks I will be graduating with a 3.2 cGPA and 3.0 sGPA. I've considered post-bad premed programs as well as SMP's but I constantly worry about the amount of debt I will have piled up. Do I even have a shot at these programs after graduation? and to people who have gone through these programs, do you think these programs have been worth it?
Also to anyone who knows the timeline for people applying to post-baccs or SMPS directly out of undergrad, can you please share!

Thanks I really appreciate the response! Do you think a DIY post bacc or SMP would be possible if I work full-time as well?

I had a lab partner doing a post-bacc (two courses a semester) while working full-time at a hospital — she worked three days a week. It's doable, but depends on your personal time management and study habits.

Reactions: 1 user
@futuredoc5467 - I would focus on getting the best grades you can now and not worry about the "what if" ... If you get hung up on the "OMG OMG OMG OMG, I have to do this or that and this and that and OMG OMGOMG" you'll get nowhere.

Focus. Do well. Then decide. There is no decision unless you do well... until later in life :)

Reactions: 1 users