Do I need my undergrad books in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Piglet2020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m matriculating next yr and I want to sell all of my textbooks (orgo, gen chem, physics, bio, etc). I shouldn’t need these in med school right? Just want to make sure before I sell/give them all away.

I barely use these textbooks for reference anyways (never used them for MCAT prep either).

Members don't see this ad.

Burn'em all or sell them or donate to charity. I already did it to my Physics and PChem textbooks.

Reactions: 1 users
comment_OxHdzPb1590ig4DBzFh9JM3N8AHCNxLi,w400.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m matriculating next yr and I want to sell all of my textbooks (orgo, gen chem, physics, bio, etc). I shouldn’t need these in med school right? Just want to make sure before I sell/give them all away.

I barely use these textbooks for reference anyways (never used them for MCAT prep either).
Haven't really used books in medical school, especially not undergrad books!

I’m keeping a couple of my textbooks and my Kaplan MCAT set, because I think I’ve spent more time with them the past few years than I have with my fiancé. We’re like emotionally bonded at this point.

And they look nice on the shelf.

Reactions: 4 users
There isn't a single textbook from undegrad OR med school that I use right now. I've never been a hoarder so that part has always been easy for me. My wife on the other hand, still has her biochem and histology notes from first year med school that I found in a box while moving last year. I asked her, "Hey babe, I'm gonna go ahead and trash this if that's OK with you?" Her reply, "Well I don't know, what if I still need them..." Mind you, she is a board certified ENT at the moment. It's really cute.

PS - I told her I'd leave it in the corner and let her think about it...but I actually threw them away. It's for the better.

PPS - If you don't hear from me a month from now, my wife did it.

Reactions: 10 users
Burn em. Sure you could sell them but burning them is way more fun. Although be sure to burn them OUTside, or else your furious land lord may try to evict you at 3 am.

I’m keeping a couple of my textbooks and my Kaplan MCAT set, because I think I’ve spent more time with them the past few years than I have with my fiancé. We’re like emotionally bonded at this point.

And they look nice on the shelf.

Haha every time I see the kaplan books I give it a middle finger and say f@!$ yeah! Eventually I gave them to a friend (not the middle finger).

Burn em. Sure you could sell them but burning them is way more fun. Although be sure to burn them OUTside, or else your furious land lord may try to evict you at 3 am.

Smores around the textbook campfire~~

Jk the stack of textbooks cost me a grand over the years. I got bamboozled into buying from my school’s bookstore during freshman yr.

Reactions: 1 user
I still refer to my Biochem and Embryology books from time to time. Save those.

i didn't even buy undergrad textbooks in undergrad... online PDFs ftw

I’m matriculating as well and I’m keeping a few juuuust in case. Physics because it was the devil incarnate, calculus in case I ever need to math again, orgo because my dried tears are in it, and developmental biology in case embryology tries to wreck me in medical school

"Well I don't know, what if I still need them..."
oh, that's me. I feel like I will need everything and tend to keep things. But, sometimes I get tired and throw away my "valuables".

med school that I use right now. I

When I shadowed PCP and oncologist hematologist both happened to use their books to look up something. Their offices had some bookshelves and they had some books from med school. I though it was more for a decoration. I found out that they actually look at them from time to time.

When I shadowed PCP and oncologist hematologist both happened to use their books to look up something. Their offices had some bookshelves and they had some books from med school. I though it was more for a decoration. I found out that they actually look at them from time to time.

Well yeah... medical texts... but they definitely aren’t pulling out the old OChem books to look something up

Well yeah... medical texts... but they definitely aren’t pulling out the old OChem books to look something up
oh yea, of course not the undergrad notes or books.

though sometimes I need pull notes from HS algebra from time to time. jk.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m matriculating as well and I’m keeping a few juuuust in case. Physics because it was the devil incarnate, calculus in case I ever need to math again, orgo because my dried tears are in it, and developmental biology in case embryology tries to wreck me in medical school

You will never use physics, and especially not calculus, ever again.

Embryology, yes, you could maybe use that.