DO Match List Thread 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Very well put. Agree strongly with the last few sentences specifically.
Its a bit exhausting to see everything get more and more competitive/more and more people applying each year. I think my first year of medical school was when psych started to ramp up, I've heard OBGYN and Gas were rough this year but have no stats to back that up.

I've heard stories from docs talk about how easy applying to medical school and residency was back in their day compared to now. I've seen the photos of First aid from the 90s and first aid form 2016

Its just all so exhausting lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Isnt HFM a top EM program?
Yeah it’s a top program. EM is weird tho. Of like the top 20 programs I think like 12+ have DOs. Still a few programs that have never taken one but every year you’ll get multiple DOs match top 20 EM programs.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah it’s a top program. EM is weird tho. Of like the top 20 programs I think like 12+ have DOs. Still a few programs that have never taken one but every year you’ll get multiple DOs match top 20 EM programs.
Absolutely. EM in general is very DO friendly and DO saturated like PMR. Example of one that never has is USC LAC but pretty sure its like #1 in the country

Right before the market crash in 2008, it wasn't uncommon to get into MD schools with what are considered borderline DO stats today (at least holds true for many SUNY/CUNY MD programs in NY) - think 3.4/3.5 GPA with a MCAT equivalent to what 27-28 was on the old test.

I have a theory that the Great Recession is largely why medical school became very competitive in the 2010s.
It’s true. A lot of people left finance and law and went into medicine and nursing. And you’re right about those stats, although I’d say 28-32 was often the lower range I saw, for MD schools anyway.

Reactions: 3 users
LSU Shreveport is a BALLER match, LSU surgery is hard to match as a DO...
1 DO grad from 2018, and that's all (there may be some from further back). It's certainly uncommon. None currently in the program.

I heard 1/4 of OBGYN applicants didn't match.
According to NRMP data 225/336 DOs matched so 1/3 didn't. But DO OB match rate has traditionally alway been in the high 60s.

• Wow
According to NRMP data 225/336 DOs matched so 1/3 didn't. But DO OB match rate has traditionally alway been in the high 60s.
Out of those 336 I wonder If there were some who were using ob as a back up(sounds ridiculous) but who knows lol?

Absolutely. EM in general is very DO friendly and DO saturated like PMR. Example of one that never has is USC LAC but pretty sure its like #1 in the country
USC LAC actually has 2 DOs in their EM class now!! UCinci, Uwashington, Boston have never taken a DO. But i personally know people in just my class who interviewed at those EM programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
UIWSOM match results (their first graduating class)
IMG_9999.JPG

Dead honest guys Rowans match this year was kinda disappointing. Jeff Philly IM was an impressive match but other than that super avg. Really impressed by some of these other DO matches though overall I think we broke glass ceiling at some major institutions

Dead honest guys Rowans match this year was kinda disappointing. Jeff Philly IM was an impressive match but other than that super avg. Really impressed by some of these other DO matches though overall I think we broke glass ceiling at some major institutions
Honestly though don't read too much into match lists, you dont know the priorities of the "super stars" in your class, they may have wanted to do family med or peds locally and didn't care about the prestige of their match, its hard to extrapolate anything from match lists. Many people also do not neurotically look up "top programs" for their specialty and think about stuff like we do on here lol.

Reactions: 5 users
So UIWSOM started with 162 students in 2017 and matched 125 in 2021 (with 10 of the matches being Prelim and TRY spots). How many of the other 37 students did not match and how many were expelled or quit?

This is also not good
View attachment 333107
The Med student I got the graph from said 93% match rate. Here
I don’t know how many are not graduating on time/ remediating etc.

• Wow
Honestly though don't read too much into match lists, you dont know the priorities of the "super stars" in your class, they may have wanted to do family med or peds locally and didn't care about the prestige of their match, its hard to extrapolate anything from match lists. Many people also do not neurotically look up "top programs" for their specialty and think about stuff like we do on here lol.
Literally me^ lmao

Reactions: 4 users
We all do it ahahah
Also like you mentioned I personally know 2 other superstar kids in addition to the Jeff Philly IM in the class above me at Rowan and I was waiting for a huge name place for them to match at and they both matched unranked community programs. After chatting with them it was for location and family reasons

Also like you mentioned I personally know 2 other superstar kids in addition to the Jeff Philly IM in the class above me at Rowan and I was waiting for a huge name place for them to match at and they both matched community programs. After chatting with them it was for location and family reasons
Yea I know few like that in the class above here too, decided to take the state MD university IM cause they literally grew up there lol, another kid passed up on multiple university IM places for a community program in California.

LECOM matched ortho at Cleveland clinic + I think 2 other ortho matches + ENT + IR at UPMC

edit: other 2 ortho 1 at UPMC pinnacle 1 at Rutgers. ENT. @ henry Ford

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
So UIWSOM started with 162 students in 2017 and matched 125 in 2021 (with 10 of the matches being Prelim and TRY spots). How many of the other 37 students did not match and how many were expelled or quit?

This is also not good
View attachment 333107
Thank you for bringing this data up so more students are aware of it.

Reactions: 4 users
If correct, that would mean 7% or about 9 or 10 students did not get any residency spot. That is BAD.
Not ideal but "BAD" is much if this is pre-soap data. Pre-soap 8% of USMDs didn't match this year even.

Not ideal but "BAD" is much if this is pre-soap data. Pre-soap 8% of USMDs didn't match this year even.

Very few if any DO schools list true match %. Chances are it’s after the soap which is bad

VCOM - Auburn notable matches
Derm at Orange Park Medical Center
Ortho at Columbus and East Tennessee
PMR at John Hopkins
At least 2 Diagnostic Rads
1 Integrated IR at the University of Oklahoma (that's at least what it was listed it as, do not have 100% confirmation on it)

Thats of the about 50 people I know, there are still 100 more matches that I don't have the information for yet.

WesternU (pomona) notables:

Gas: Penn state, BIDC, UTSA, UT houston
Derm: case western
Gensurg: UTSA, UHawaii
Neurosurg: RUHS
Optho: beaumont
Ortho: Ventura, RUHS, Nassau
Uro: One, forget where

This article was from Friday (after the SOAP) and says 137 students in the graduating class. So what happened to the other 25?
125 matches/137 students is only a 91% match rate.
Are the other 12 students jobless?

So what happens to those students who don’t match after SOAP? Do they have to wait until next year’s match to try again? What do they do in the meantime?

So what happens to those students who don’t match after SOAP? Do they have to wait until next year’s match to try again? What do they do in the meantime?
either scramble into an open spot, delay graduation and apply gain as a senior, or take a gap year doing something clinical from what I understand

holy cow a 83% first Pass rate for Comlex? That’s awful

If correct, that would mean 7% or about 9 or 10 students did not get any residency spot. That is BAD.
As a 4th year UIWSOM student it’s correct. We had 19 students go unmatched Pre-SOAP and 11 remain unmatched post-SOAP. The overwhelming majority of those individuals applied general surgery/anesthesia/ortho/derm with no backup. In addition, they had mediocre stats. Match rate reflects failure to have a plan B in my opinion.

Reactions: 19 users
As a 4th year UIWSOM student it’s correct. We had 19 students go unmatched Pre-SOAP and 11 remain unmatched post-SOAP. The overwhelming majority of those individuals applied general surgery/anesthesia/ortho/derm with no backup. In addition, they had mediocre stats. Match rate reflects failure to have a plan B in my opinion.
The balls of some people. Blows my mind

Reactions: 10 users
Yeah we received the stats broken down by specialty. 5/11 matched anesthesia, 2/16 matched general surgery, 0/2 matched dermatology, and 0/3 matched ortho.

• Wow
Yeah we received the stats broken down by specialty. 5/11 matched anesthesia, 2/16 matched general surgery, 0/2 matched dermatology, and 0/3 matched ortho.
Damn that’s awful for gen surg. Charting outcomes shows it’s definitely doable for DOs If I remember correctly

Is this due to a lack of (good) guidance from a new school or applicants ignoring the advice?

Is this due to a lack of (good) guidance from a new school or applicants ignoring the advice?
I would have to say mostly the latter. I know people applying ortho/gen surg/derm who either failed or scored well below average on step 1. Encouraged to apply to backup but ignored advice.

Reactions: 13 users
Damn that’s awful for gen surg. Charting outcomes shows it’s definitely doable for DOs If I remember correctly
Yeah that’s terrible. Overall DO match rate to GS has been fairly stable at around 66% for the last few years, and that percentage goes up quite a bit if you have average stats (like average for a matched applicant).

Yeah that’s terrible. Overall DO match rate to GS has been fairly stable at around 66% for the last few years, and that percentage goes up quite a bit if you have average stats (like average for a matched applicant).
To be fair I was shocked by some of the individuals who matched prelim surgery. They were superstars for categorical spots on paper so I’m wondering if they aimed too high.

This is true, but the other side of the coin is that there are probably many excellent DOs out there that match exactly what and where they want even if its not an eye-catching surgical subspecialty or institution.

A lot of people might not be interested in all that and go for personal fit instead. For example I'm sure our own stars like DNC or AnatomyGrey12 or many other SDNers could have matched at some prestigious place if that's what their motivation was, but I don't think everyone wants that.
I agree. I lived with the guy who graduated #1 in my class and was scary smart.He went in to Family Med and would call oncologists and fight with them about their choice of chemo for his patients. Another read a book on differential equations while on vacation with us, got an A on the test and placed out of the course while running a busy family practice. He went on to get a masters in bio engineering and worked on the Penn State artificial heart while maintaining his practice. Not every brilliant person wants to sub specialize.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
You could theoretically fix bad advising at many DO schools but you can't fix applicants who make objectively bad decisions. Unfortuantely, these things are only going to increase as number of DO students increases rapidly.

Reactions: 13 users
I made a Match thread advising all to have a Plan B ready and understand the SOAP rules before the match! I continue to not understand, with so much at risk, why people play the Match Game so poorly. Do not listen to suggestions from PDs that you will be highly ranked. You are unmatched until you are.My son matched his 4th choice in the fellowship match, all the while enjoying glowing comments from PDs. None were reach programs. Life is full of choices. When it is the rest of your life and your career on the line, make good ones.

To be fair I was shocked by some of the individuals who matched prelim surgery. They were superstars for categorical spots on paper so I’m wondering if they aimed too high.
Surgery programs also seem to treat applicants from new/unknown schools with caution. Even good applicants from new schools should be ok going to a DO or community MD program.

How many interviews did they get? And what does “superstars for categorical” mean?

To be fair some of the individuals who matched prelim for gen surg I was shocked. They were superstars on paper so I’m wondering if they aimed too high.
Surgery programs also seem to treat applicants from new/unknown schools with caution. Even good applicants from new schools should be ok going to a DO or community MD program.

How many interviews did they get? And what does “superstars for categorical” mean?
Not sure about number of interviews but they had step 1/2 >250 with pubs

Since when does UPMC Mercy have an IR program, or even a DR program?

EDIT: Looked into this more, they ONLY have IM and GS programs at Mercy.

Short of IM (Mercy or McKeesport vs. main), FM (Mercy, McKeesport, Shadyside, St Margaret's, Altoona, Williamsport, and Horizon - there is no main FM residency, although St M's would be most "prestigious"), EM (Hamot vs. main) and GS (Mercy or Horizon vs. main), which have programs at other hospitals, a UPMC match IS a flagship UPMC match, whether its Presby, Montefiore, Magee, CHP, etc. or whatever they want to call it.

Proof. Nice job! Awesome program.

Good thing I said there’s no list from my school and that it was from social media. Also they do have derm? Could’ve also been someone’s SO who’s an MD. This was one person giving shoutouts to their friends and I had thought it was all from my school. I didn’t start in the class of 2021 so I didn’t recognize all the names.
There was a DO DR match at vandy. Maybe they confused derm and dr idk

There were 6327 matched DOs this year. About 10% matched Into a categorical surgical specialty (603)(actually it's probably higher bc this doesn't include military, Uro, Ophtho matches) and 54% matched into either FM/IM/Peds.
Given all the talk that post merger "DO is gunna be the new degree of primary care or just FM" i'd say that is officially unfounded. And again selection bias, the vast majority of DOs aren't even applying Derm, neurosurg, vascular etc.

Match rates were down for MD and DOs (probably bc COVID). I suspect match rates will normalize over the next few cycles unless virtual interviews become the new norm. We wont have post SOAP data until may but everyone I know in my class that SOAPed got a spot so I image placement rate will be near or around 99%.
Survivorship bias. A chronic issue for some on the DO side. ‘Something was wrong with those people who didn’t match.’

This is also not good
View attachment 333107
Should have used a bar graph for that data. Other DO schools are so much better at hiding their crud.

• Love
  • Haha
91% post soap is the lowest I've ever seen but this year was crazy so who knows...
And next year will be ‘crazier’ and so on. Can’t keep adding hundreds of medical students every year and not expect to take a hit to placement rate.