Do people here still hate California Northstate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No offense but this match list is terrible. I can count maybe 4-6 good programs on this list at most. I have no horse in this race but just calling it like it is. There are about ~5-7 prelims (I'm conservatively guesstimating that a few of these prelims are for those in advanced categoricals like neurology or anesthesia, and because it's the same institutions listed twice in thee cases). Functionally speaking, a prelim without an advanced match is not a match. One of the anesthesia programs didn't fill the most recent 2 consecutive years so the match could easily be scramble. Not to be down on anyone, like I said, just calling it like it is.
Considering that we’re the inaugural class with no home program, I think we did damn fine. Agree to disagree :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Considering that we’re the inaugural class with no home program, I think we did damn fine. Agree to disagree :)
That might be a valid explanation as to why the list is terrible, but from one random internet person's assessment, the list is still terrible.

I guess it’s hard to say what necessarily constitutes a “good” match list though — some people rank less prestigious programs over more prestigious ones for various reasons like location, family, etc.

Also, I think it’s extremely important to note than many of my classmates matched at programs that do not historically take DOs or IMGs. To me this is evidence that CNU isnt’t just “a Caribbean school in California” as others have said in the past. No disrespect to Carribbean medical students, but they don’t match at places like Mayo, University of Michigan, Columbia, UCSD, Children’s Hospital Oakland, etc like my classmates did. My debate 4 years ago was whether to go to CNU or a DO school, and I know if I had gone to the DO school I wouldn’t have matched at the program I matched at because I literally don’t think they have ever accepted DOs.

Do we have a comparable match list to Harvard, or even to a UC? No. But nobody's saying that. I think we did pretty damn well for a new class. And I think CNU’s match lists will only get better with subsequent classes.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That might be a valid explanation as to why the list is terrible, but from one random internet person's assessment, the list is still terrible.

I have no horses in this race either and mostly just lurk around SDN, but I don't recall anyone saying this list was amazing. Of course any class from there, especially the inaugural class, is never going to come close to the Stanfords or Harvards of the country. But the list is pretty good and comparable to my school (Albany), my wife's school in Chicago, and looking in the match list thread, on par with their neighbor UC Davis' list as a whole this year.

Seeing the post above me, location could also be a factor as it looks like many of them are staying in California or at least the West Coast. Slightly off topic but my wife actually ranked North Dakota's Psychiatry program pretty highly because it's close to her family + it was a great fit for her, and we all know how that state is the butt of jokes here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
How does this match list compare to Touro-Ca or Western Pomona? Pomona had a pretty good match this year. I see a lot of prelims in CNU's list. Do the CA DO's match that many prelim? Serious question, not hating. I'm just not that familiar with CA DOs and I'm interested in how CNU objectively compares.

No offense but this match list is terrible. I can count maybe 4-6 good programs on this list at most. I have no horse in this race but just calling it like it is.

How does this match list compare to Touro-Ca or Western Pomona?...I'm just not that familiar with CA DOs and I'm interested in how CNU objectively compares.

Here is Touro California's 2014 list (my search skills are weak tonight):
http://opti-west.org/pdfs/2014_match_tucom_ca.pdf

I don't think it's an apples-to-apples comparison to pit California Northstate (MD) against Touro California (DO), but I also think it's premature to compare CNUCOM (private; established 2015) to, let's say, Loma Linda (private; established 1909) or even UC Davis (public; established 1966).

Bluntly, the majority of the Class of 2019 would've probably gone to a California-based DO program were it not for California Northstate. Yet as leela13 pointed out, had she gone to Vallejo instead of Elk Grove, she would not be where she is today.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Thank you for the reply anonimoose. Hopefully in the future we will see the first match into plastics, ortho nsurg, or derm. I do see one ENT in louisiana though. In a MD class of 60, you would expect at least one person match into one of those.
Congrats to CNU on the successful matches, though.
Do the students of CNU recommend their school if one was interested in the aforementioned fields?

I congratulate the students on their successes.
Goro, what is your opinion on their match ? Is it similar to the match for an established DO school, new DO school or state MD school? I realize the choices may be skewed by the fact that most of their students are from CA and wish to remain in CA.

Bluntly, the majority of the Class of 2019 would've probably gone to a California-based DO program were it not for California Northstate.

Perhaps, but there are other possibilities. Remember that CNU decided to recruit its first class outside of AMCAS, in the few months between receiving accreditation and matriculation. It could have drawn students from multiple situations:

Those who had gotten at least one DO acceptance for the 2014-15 cycle but decided to try the new MD school
Those who had gotten at least one MD acceptance for the 2014-15 cycle but decided to try the new school in CA
Those who had gotten no prior acceptances for the 2014-2015 cycle and took a hail Mary at the end
Those who were applying through the regular 2015-2016 cycle and decided to abort after getting accepted to CNU

The class of 2019's average metrics were decent (MCAT converts to a 512), so a lot of them may have been competitive at other MD schools, assuming they were willing to apply broadly.

In the end this match list is ambiguous, as it can be used as evidence by both detractors and proponents to further their positions. It would have been a different story if 10% of the class matched into highly competitive specialties, but that did not happen.

Reactions: 1 users
Solid points Med Ed. I'm curious what you mean by highly competitive specialties? I like looking at their neighboring schools, and looking at UCD's match this year, in a class double CNU's size, they have 1 derm and 2 ortho, while having 0 plastic, 0 ENT, and less radiology matches. Could both be explained by both schools having supposedly primary care focused missions?

Solid points Med Ed. I'm curious what you mean by highly competitive specialties? I like looking at their neighboring schools, and looking at UCD's match this year, in a class double CNU's size, they have 1 derm and 2 ortho, while having 0 plastic, 0 ENT, and less radiology matches. Could both be explained by both schools having supposedly primary care focused missions?
UC Davis average usmle step 1 score is near the 30th percentile

Solid points Med Ed. I'm curious what you mean by highly competitive specialties? I like looking at their neighboring schools, at looking at UCD's match this year, in a class double CNU's size, they have 1 derm and 2 ortho, while having 0 plastic, 0 ENT, and less radiology matches. Could both be explained by both schools having supposedly primary care focused missions?

UC Davis is indeed the primary care-focused UC school, but it's an open question as to whether CNU is primary care by design or by default.

UC Davis average usmle step 1 score is near the 30th percentile

Could just be that you can't interpret tone online, but not sure why it seems like you're trying to bash these schools so much. Pot, kettle, seeing that we go to the same school, our school is pretty much the bottom of the barrel of "established" schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could just be that you can't interpret tone online, but not sure why it seems like you're trying to bash these schools so much. Pot, kettle, seeing that we go to the same school, our school is pretty much the bottom of the barrel of "established" schools.
And our match list has far more surgical subspecialty matches. Our Step 1 average is also >30 percentile

And our match list has far more surgical subspecialty matches. Our Step 1 average is also >30 percentile
That's kind of moot since UC-Davis SOM doesn't select for people interested in surgical specialities in the first place.

Also, why does everyone on SDN seem to think competitive applicants only want to do surgery? You should be looking at the quality of the match within the specialities. I'm P sure their MGH and Stanford match to psych was more competitive than ENT to LSUHSC - Shreveport... If a school with a lower step-1 average matches better, doesn't that mean the school is better?

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Here’s a wild idea: stop comparing schools and scores and matches and celebrate the fact that people are training to become physicians to go help patients. Move on and go do more important things.

Reactions: 10 users
Here’s a wild idea: stop comparing schools and scores and matches and celebrate the fact that people are training to become physicians to go help patients. Move on and go do more important things.

That would be nice, but CNU is the canary in the coal mine of whether proprietary, for-profit medical education (of the sort that was common a century ago) will make a resurgence inside our borders. I don't begrudge anyone who does the work, earns a MD, and goes on to practice medicine. But there is a bigger picture.

That would be nice, but CNU is the canary in the coal mine of whether proprietary, for-profit medical education (of the sort that was common a century ago) will make a resurgence inside our borders. I don't begrudge anyone who does the work, earns a MD, and goes on to practice medicine. But there is a bigger picture.
We have four in the DO world now. :(

Reactions: 2 users
I guess it’s hard to say what necessarily constitutes a “good” match list though — some people rank less prestigious programs over more prestigious ones for various reasons like location, family, etc.
This happens in every single school, it's not a unique feature at the schools that generated poor match lists, although somehow it gets trotted out as a reason by those schools' students every time.

Also, I think it’s extremely important to note than many of my classmates matched at programs that do not historically take DOs or IMGs. To me this is evidence that CNU isnt’t just “a Caribbean school in California” as others have said in the past. No disrespect to Carribbean medical students, but they don’t match at places like Mayo, University of Michigan, Columbia, UCSD, Children’s Hospital Oakland, etc like my classmates did. My debate 4 years ago was whether to go to CNU or a DO school, and I know if I had gone to the DO school I wouldn’t have matched at the program I matched at because I literally don’t think they have ever accepted DOs.
no offense but based on this list (with the usual caveats esp. since it's n=1) I don't see how this is relevant since many of you matched at programs that run simultaneous AOA programs. all of the fancy schmancy names you mention are either for specialties that are bottom of the competitiveness scale or where the program itself is far less august than the home institution.

Do we have a comparable match list to Harvard, or even to a UC? No. But nobody's saying that. I think we did pretty damn well for a new class. And I think CNU’s match lists will only get better with subsequent classes.
Right, so why bring it up? Considering, charitably, ~10%-15% of your class appears to have failed to match a categorical spot I would consider a recalibration of the term "damn well"

I have no horses in this race either and mostly just lurk around SDN, but I don't recall anyone saying this list was amazing. Of course any class from there, especially the inaugural class, is never going to come close to the Stanfords or Harvards of the country. But the list is pretty good and comparable to my school (Albany), my wife's school in Chicago, and looking in the match list thread, on par with their neighbor UC Davis' list as a whole this year.
It's also pretty on-par to arguably inferior imo with RVU and Touro-CA, which I personally find rather amusing.

Seeing the post above me, location could also be a factor as it looks like many of them are staying in California or at least the West Coast. Slightly off topic but my wife actually ranked North Dakota's Psychiatry program pretty highly because it's close to her family + it was a great fit for her, and we all know how that state is the butt of jokes here.
As I noted above, this phenomenon happens at every school, including your wife's, so the effect tends to wash out.

Bluntly, the majority of the Class of 2019 would've probably gone to a California-based DO program were it not for California Northstate. Yet as leela13 pointed out, had she gone to Vallejo instead of Elk Grove, she would not be where she is today.
More bluntly, I think they would have been better off at a California-based DO program, especially given their reported stat averages.

Also, why does everyone on SDN seem to think competitive applicants only want to do surgery? You should be looking at the quality of the match within the specialities. I'm P sure their MGH and Stanford match to psych was more competitive than ENT to LSUHSC - Shreveport... If a school with a lower step-1 average matches better, doesn't that mean the school is better?
I completely disagree. Your average ENT at LSUHSC-Shreveport probably scored equivalent or higher on step1, had similar or better grades, and similar to better research output. I bet you an internet burger.

Reactions: 3 users
Fair enough Med ed. But the for profit/admin problems should be separate from bashing on the success of the students matching. They are moving forward with their careers and have put in the work and are going on to care for patients. The culture of sdn is disgusting. Anonymous people hiding behind their computers to put down others. Put your time towards more useful things.
No wonder I’ve been absent from here from so long. ✌

Last edited by a moderator:
It's also pretty on-par to arguably inferior imo with RVU and Touro-CA, which I personally find rather amusing.

So it's on-par to other state schools and the lower tier UC schools, and "pretty on-par" to some DO schools. I'm not seeing the issue then. Not every MD program matches better than DO programs. I don't see "many" AOA programs either, though I'm not too familiar with those.

Fair enough Med ed. But the for profit/admin problems should be separate from bashing on the success of the students matching. They are moving forward with their careers and have put in the work and are going on to care for patients. The culture of sdn is disgusting. Anonymous people hiding behind their computers to put down others. Put your time towards more useful things.
No wonder I’ve been absent from here from so long. Y’all are pathetic for having nothing better to spend your time on ✌

Well said, especially if you consider who some of these people supposedly are.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Fair enough Med ed. But the for profit/admin problems should be separate from bashing on the success of the students matching.

If you have a problem with a poster I suggest you either take it up with that person directly or abandon this thread.

For those of us on the education side, this match list has generated considerable interest because it's the first bit of data that lets us discern the possible effects of this new allopathic school being for-profit. It's a messy, imperfect experiment, but it's all we have. Unfortunately there is no way to divorce that analysis from the lives of the CNU students. From my standpoint, at least, it's not personal. The data is the data, and a dispassionate reading of it can generate some less-than-positive interpretations.

No wonder I’ve been absent from here from so long. Y’all are pathetic for having nothing better to spend your time on

If you have a problem with an individual poster, please respond to them with a reasoned argument or leave the thread. Personal attacks will not be tolerated such as the bolded will not be tolerated.

If you have a problem with a poster I suggest you either take it up with that person directly or abandon this thread.

For those of us on the education side, this match list has generated considerable interest because it's the first bit of data that lets us discern the possible effects of this new allopathic school being for-profit. It's a messy, imperfect experiment, but it's all we have. Unfortunately there is no way to divorce that analysis from the lives of the CNU students. From my standpoint, at least, it's not personal. The data is the data, and a dispassionate reading of it can generate some less-than-positive interpretations.

Are you seriously claiming that you're not personally biased against for-profit institutions after labeling CNUCOM a "canary in the coal mine"?

Also, if an experiment is "messy" and "imperfect" (which is an understatement when we're only talking about a single inaugural match list), then why not abstain from "generating interpretations"? Why not wait until better data come in? Why not consider the fact that, in the osteopathic world, RVUCOM has become one of the most successful DO schools in terms of student outcomes? Sure, RVUCOM is a DO school so it's not a perfect example when discussing for-profit MDs, but its situation over the past decade offers us far more data than one inaugural match list from one for-profit allopathic institution.

Lastly, CNUCOM's match list isn't actually bad. It's not terribly different from the match lists of most other low-tier MD programs.

Reactions: 4 users
Are you seriously claiming that you're not personally biased against for-profit institutions after labeling CNUCOM a "canary in the coal mine"?

I was biased against for-profit institutions well before making that analogy. The history of for-profit education in America is teeming with predation. And there is nothing inherently wrong with biases, so long as they do not substantially cloud our judgement. I have been skeptical of CNU since I first heard of it, but I am prepared to change my mind if the evidence says otherwise.

Osminog said:
Also, if an experiment is "messy" and "imperfect" (which is an understatement when we're only talking about a single inaugural match list), then why not abstain from "generating interpretations"? Why not wait until better data come in?

The same reason that NASA doesn't wait until its Martian rovers die before analyzing the data. We have been waiting years for the first CNU match list, and now that it's finally out some of us would like to discuss it. All experiments involving human behavior are inherently messy and imperfect, but that should not stop us from trying to draw conclusions.

Osminog said:
Why not consider the fact that, in the osteopathic world, RVUCOM has become one of the most successful DO schools in terms of student outcomes? Sure, RVUCOM is a DO school so it's not a perfect example when discussing for-profit MDs, but its situation over the past decade offers us far more data than one inaugural match list from one for-profit allopathic institution.

It is indeed tempting to invoke RVU, but I have a couple of issues with that approach. Foremost, osteopathic accreditation is very different than allopathic accreditation, and some not-for-profit osteopathic schools already bear a strong resemblance to for-profit models: large classes, high tuition, few faculty, minimal clinical education infrastructure, etc. Much to COCA's chagrin, RVU ended up being not much of an outlier. But perhaps futher discussion of RVU, the Tiens, Medforth, etc. is best left for a different thread.

Osminog said:
Lastly, CNUCOM's match list isn't actually bad. It's not terribly different from the match lists of most other low-tier MD programs.

It is difficult for me to judge matches that aren't in my speciality, so I have to rely on two other markers: competitive specialty matches and prelim matches. There was one competitive speciality match: ENT, which isn't very telling. Again, if 6+ people matched into competitive specialities, the naysayers would have to eat some crow, but the actual outcome is ambiguous.

The prelim matches are more concerning. Bearing in mind the input from @carpeomnious and the fact that we will likely not find out anything official about the SOAP, I count a total of eleven prelim matches. That's over 18% of the starting class, which is a rather high number.

My take is that this match list has few matches in highly competitive fields, some good matches in low to moderately competitive fields, and a relatively high proportion of prelim matches. For a class with an average MCAT of 32.2 and average Step 1 of 228, my opinion is that the school underperformed.

I hope you would agree that I am not being a jerk about this, it's just my take on the situation.

Reactions: 11 users
It’s the inaugural class. More than respectable IMO.

Last edited:
Med Ed, what I'm hearing you say is that neither is a good option. Are you suggesting it would be better to reapply this cycle than go to CNU? She had a 3.5 average in chemistry from a very small lower tier college and a 517 on her MCAT. She had 3 years of volunteering in a hospital during college and worked at a medical insurance company processing claims for a while after school. She does not bring adversity or diversity to the table and that is not likely to change.
I noticed some of you are faculty and I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
Are any of you residency training directors?

Med Ed, what I'm hearing you say is that neither is a good option. Are you suggesting it would be better to reapply this cycle than go to CNU? She had a 3.5 average in chemistry from a very small lower tier college and a 517 on her MCAT. She had 3 years of volunteering in a hospital during college and worked at a medical insurance company processing claims for a while after school. She does not bring adversity or diversity to the table and that is not likely to change.
I noticed some of you are faculty and I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
Are any of you residency training directors?
Probably not better to reapply since once you have an acceptance from a US medical school you'll have to talk about why you didn't accept the next time around. They should probably just accept it

I hear what you are saying but I am also paying the tab here so I have an "investment" in the decision. Perhaps this is hard to answer but is the negative perception of a degree from a "for profit" medical school enough to consider it a bad investment of money when contrasted with the time and money it would take to spend another year or two getting a masters? I appreciate everyone's opinion on this. My daughter will ultimately make the decision here but we are close and I still advise her.
It will limit her residency choices from both schools

I hear what you are saying but I am also paying the tab here so I have an "investment" in the decision. Perhaps this is hard to answer but is the negative perception of a degree from a "for profit" medical school enough to consider it a bad investment of money when contrasted with the time and money it would take to spend another year or two getting a masters? I appreciate everyone's opinion on this. My daughter will ultimately make the decision here but we are close and I still advise her.

CNU and RVU are both for-profit.

If she goes to either place things will probably turn out fine. CNU's first class didn't have a stellar match, but if she works hard and plays her cards halfway decently she'll come out okay on the other end. Unless there is something easily fixable in her application (applied late, bad school list, etc.), there is little reason to think reapplication will yield better results. Masters degrees are low value in this process. Peace Corps would be more impressive.

Reactions: 4 users
@parentofanaspiringdoc123

This is an interesting conversation to me on multiple fronts:

1. I am a parent - Will I still be the one posting important questions my child should be asking or will my child post the questions, and, because "we are close" we will review it together and discuss? Even now, in middle and high school, I try really hard to have these discussions with my children, and then let them ask, seek advice, share with me, instead of me being the one driving their collection of information necessary for making their own life decisions...even when I am footing the bill. Maybe my parenting opinions are a bit questionable anyhow since I'm clearly making this switch late in life myself. Maybe I'll change my mind when the bill is so high.

2. I am/was an applicant just this last cycle - I applied to CNU and interviewed there and was accepted there. I have read all the controversy over the years and I admit that I don't quite get it anymore - in the beginning, sure, but now, no. I'm a full-fledged adult with lots of professional experience in a real career, so I recognize that there will be industry-specific nuances that I'm not "getting", but I also was sincerely impressed during the interview day. The stories shared by the administration, founding faculty, etc. was inspiring. They marched up more senior folks than at any of my other interviews and all of them came across as authentic people with good motivations, strong experiences and clear goals. Based solely on the numbers it doesn't seem likely that anyone is getting rich, and since my current role is entirely devoted to government regulations, I'm guessing that offering federal loans comes with lots of extra strings/baggage, which then in turn add costs to support all that extra paperwork. Regulatory compliance is an industry unto itself! Loans are of the stuff of life, private or government - I can get a loan without Uncle Sam's (direct) help and the rates offered now privately are comparable to the fed. While some say that the first match at CNU wasn't stellar, look at it yourself (or rather your adult child should check it out) and see what you think - it looked pretty darn good to me; those are places I'd like to be a resident, in specialties I'd like too.

If your kid is a hard worker and reaches out to make connections (their own connections), I can't imagine they'd be the one who slips through the cracks at either school - they got accepted to multiple medical schools, they can do it again for residency. If you want your kid to be a neurosurgeon or orthopedic surgeon, etc...well, are you really going to be helping them study for the Step too? But then again, 517 is fantastic - maybe your kid will have success anywhere. Where does your kid want to go? Why? Are they good reasons?

Where ever your kid and your money end up, I sincerely wish you all the best - it's an exciting time and I hope to be in your shoes someday soon too, with kids who have options and still seek my input.

May be CNU is targeting more towards wealth parents or asian parents who are willing to pay than take loans? Also, lot of them have connections to get residencies?

@parentofanaspiringdoc123

I'm guessing that offering federal loans comes with lots of extra strings/baggage, which then in turn add costs to support all that extra paperwork.
These "strings" are known as Title 4. They are the "hoops" that every other US medical school (MD or DO) has chosen to comply with in order to allow their students repayment options. They permit them the option to choose federal loans and perhaps more important, payback mechanisms.
The fact that this school stands alone in denying their students this option speaks far louder than I can in denouncing this behavior.
This puts CNU in the same category as the very worst of the Caribbean schools. The fact that they have chosen this course makes them even worse.

Last edited:
  • Love
These "strings" are known as Title 4. They are the "hoops" that every other US medical school (MD or DO) has chosen to comply with in order to allow their students repayment options. They permit them the option to choose federal loans and perhaps more important, payback mechanisms.
The fact that this school stands alone in denying their students this option speaks far louder than I can in denouncing this behavior.
This puts CNU in the same category as the very worst of the Caribbean schools. The fact that they have chosen this course makes them even worse.

How does this choice benefit the school and investors? I don't believe I've seen that part explained.

It only matters that it hurts the students.

I understand, but I always find it helpful to understand motivations behind decisions, particularly since it has been said on this thread that it somehow benefits the investors or school to deny access to loans, but I am not clear how that is the case. If there is no benefit to the school and/or investors, then why would they choose not to provide federal loans? There has to be a reason. I am curious what those reasons/motivations could potentially be.

If there is no benefit to the school and/or investors, then why would they choose not to provide federal loans? There has to be a reason. I am curious what those reasons/motivations could potentially be.
No one I know can think of a good reason to do this to their students.
I cannot believe in the beneficence of an administration who would do this to their most important investors.

• Love
I’d like to share the following information on the class of 2023 which I gathered while attending the white coat ceremony in August. I am writing this to refute the negativity towards this school on SDN. I was fortunate to meet a number of these young adults and their parents. All of the students I met were very accomplished and talented and will likely make excellent doctors. The training at this school is strong which was reported to me by a number of parents who are physicians. At least 21 of the 96 students entering had at least one parent that was a physician (those parents got to put the coat on their kid).

The class seemed diverse with more people of color than caucasian. I extracted the following information about the class of 2023 (from the white coat brochure) for anyone who might be interested. There were 96 entering students and of these 96 students 51 came from UC schools and 6 came from one of the Cal State schools. 5 students came from state schools other than California. 12 came from California Northstate itself. The other 22 students came from a variety of private colleges and universities. The largest single source was UCD with 17 students. UCSD and UCLA each had 11 students. UCB had 5 students and UCSC, UCI and UCR each contributed 2. One student was from UCSB. Of the Cal States Cal Poly, Chico, Fresno and Sonoma each had 1 students and Long Beach had 2. The following non-California state school each had one student; Florida, Oregon, Washington, NC Chapel Hill and Fort Lewis (CO). From the private schools, USC, Cornell and BYU had 4,3 and 2 students respectively. The following private schools had one student each: Dartmouth, Chapman, Loyola Marymount, Carnegie Mellon, Santa Clara, St Marys Calif, Drexel, University of Rochester, Wash U St Louis, Scripps, Case Western, Pitzer and University of Chicago.

I am very glad my daughter is attending California Northstate. The administration is supportive and she is getting an excellent medical education. I write this to counter the unusual negativity towards this school due to its for profit status. Some of the parents I spoke with work or have worked in the UC system and they said that within UC there was as much fuss about income and outflow as in any for profit industry. California Northstate has passed it’s accreditation and is educating some talented kids. I hope this information is helpful to someone considering the school.

I’d like to share the following information on the class of 2023 which I gathered while attending the white coat ceremony in August. I am writing this to refute the negativity towards this school on SDN. I was fortunate to meet a number of these young adults and their parents. All of the students I met were very accomplished and talented and will likely make excellent doctors. The training at this school is strong which was reported to me by a number of parents who are physicians. At least 21 of the 96 students entering had at least one parent that was a physician (those parents got to put the coat on their kid).

The class seemed diverse with more people of color than caucasian. I extracted the following information about the class of 2023 (from the white coat brochure) for anyone who might be interested. There were 96 entering students and of these 96 students 51 came from UC schools and 6 came from one of the Cal State schools. 5 students came from state schools other than California. 12 came from California Northstate itself. The other 22 students came from a variety of private colleges and universities. The largest single source was UCD with 17 students. UCSD and UCLA each had 11 students. UCB had 5 students and UCSC, UCI and UCR each contributed 2. One student was from UCSB. Of the Cal States Cal Poly, Chico, Fresno and Sonoma each had 1 students and Long Beach had 2. The following non-California state school each had one student; Florida, Oregon, Washington, NC Chapel Hill and Fort Lewis (CO). From the private schools, USC, Cornell and BYU had 4,3 and 2 students respectively. The following private schools had one student each: Dartmouth, Chapman, Loyola Marymount, Carnegie Mellon, Santa Clara, St Marys Calif, Drexel, University of Rochester, Wash U St Louis, Scripps, Case Western, Pitzer and University of Chicago.

I am very glad my daughter is attending California Northstate. The administration is supportive and she is getting an excellent medical education. I write this to counter the unusual negativity towards this school due to its for profit status. Some of the parents I spoke with work or have worked in the UC system and they said that within UC there was as much fuss about income and outflow as in any for profit industry. California Northstate has passed it’s accreditation and is educating some talented kids. I hope this information is helpful to someone considering the school.
Many thanks for resurrecting a zombie thread to hopefully suck some more people in so a parent can have an arguably bad decision validated by strangers on the Internet.

Merry Christmas! :)

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.