This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myMDdreams

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am currently calling schools to obtain school specific information but

1. did anyone encounter pre-requisite "expiration dates"?
Ex. courses must be completed 10 years from matriculation to medical school.

I took my pre-reqs in 2009-2013 and I am applying in 2017.
[My oldest pre-reqs are Biology I and II, Gen Chem I and II -> 8 years from MD application, 9 years from matriculation.]

**What has been your experience?**

2. If you applied a few years after finishing your pre-reqs, did an interviewer question your ability to perform in an academic setting?

3. Did any of you take additional courses during your gap year(s) to demonstrate academic promise?

4. Would a good performance on the MCAT (will take it in August) and a great GPA suffice?

Thank you! I really appreciate your input!!

Members don't see this ad.

As a primarily non-trad student advisor, I have been trying to make a general guidance in this for the past 15 years. Every time I see a trend, its starts going another direction. However, I havent any students rejected solely for the age of their courses. Having a solid GPA and good MCAT will be good, but picking up a course maybe a reasonable idea. I am more concerned with the August MCAT. Are you applying this cycle?

http://weill.cornell.edu/education/admissions/app_req.html
8. Validity of courses. To fulfill an admissions requirement, courses must have been satisfactorily completed within 10 years of application. We recommend that one or more advanced science course(s) be completed within 5 years of application. All premedical required course work should be completed by January 31 of the year for which admission is sought.

My science GPA is 3.7. I will only apply this cycle if I'm ready for the July 9th MCAT. If I'm not ready, I will take the August MCAT and two upper level science courses in the Spring of 2017 (immunology and microbiology).
I would love love LOVE to apply this year but I don't want to rush my MCAT studying and receive a low score.

This should be in the nontrad forum as you will get more info there. And dont forget to visit OldPreMeds.org
Thank you for all of your help! I just posted the same question in the non-trad forum and will check out OldPreMeds.org right now.