This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fwest9

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA: 3.4 (constant upward trend, just had a hard time freshman year)
MCAT: 497 (2017) --> 503 (2018) 122/126/127/128 (not sure what happened on c/p was averaging 126 on practice tests)

- South Carolina resident
- 100 Clinical Volunteer hours
- 1000+ non clinical volunteer hours (interned at a non profit in Peru for 2 summers)
- MD vascular surgeon shadowing
- unfortunately no DO shadowing but hoping to do some in the next couple weeks
- some research experience
- Great ECs (high position in student gov, very committed to volunteering at a local church, leadership program at school)
- Great LOR
- personal statement is pretty decent I think
- intermediate Spanish speaking level
- spanish honors society, leadership honors society
- hopefully about to start working at a patient care tech for my gap year
- decent people skills so I'd do well in an interview

^^ obviously not everything but a general overview

I know my stats aren't great, but I am 100% applying this year. If I don't get in I will just take the mcat again next year and apply again. I would love to know what you all think my chances are? Maybe not great, but I'm going to at least try.

Not really sure for school list. Here are a few I've been considering:

DO:
VCOM- Carolina
NYITCOM
WesternU CA and OR
TOURO - CA and NY
NOVA

MD:
(I know these are a little far fetched for my stats, but I've already paid the primary so I'll apply to atleast one or two)
USC Columbia
USC Greenville
MUSC (Hoping my job as a tech could open some doors here)
Tulane
NY med

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If you’re going to apply anyway, your state MD school(s), ACOM, ATSU, WVSOM, OSUCOM (if you have a DO LOR), MUCOM

Reactions: 1 user
I will be attending VCOM-Carolinas in a months time and can only say great things about VCOM as a whole, so apply to all 3

However, I would add 10+ osteo schools to your list including MUCOM, LECOM, ACOM, and WVSOM. Your stats are solid for a decent amount of schools, but if you get unlucky, you may be looking at zero acceptances come next Fall.

You probably don't need to apply to the new new schools like ICOM, ARCOM, and RVU-Utah - avoid that mess

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
GPA: 3.4 (constant upward trend, just had a hard time freshman year)
MCAT: 497 (2017) --> 503 (2018) 122/126/127/128 (not sure what happened on c/p was averaging 126 on practice tests)

- South Carolina resident
- 100 Clinical Volunteer hours
- 1000+ non clinical volunteer hours (interned at a non profit in Peru for 2 summers)
- MD vascular surgeon shadowing
- unfortunately no DO shadowing but hoping to do some in the next couple weeks
- some research experience
- Great ECs (high position in student gov, very committed to volunteering at a local church, leadership program at school)
- Great LOR
- personal statement is pretty decent I think
- intermediate Spanish speaking level
- spanish honors society, leadership honors society
- hopefully about to start working at a patient care tech for my gap year
- decent people skills so I'd do well in an interview

^^ obviously not everything but a general overview

I know my stats aren't great, but I am 100% applying this year. If I don't get in I will just take the mcat again next year and apply again. I would love to know what you all think my chances are? Maybe not great, but I'm going to at least try.

Not really sure for school list. Here are a few I've been considering:

DO:
VCOM- Carolina
NYITCOM
WesternU CA and OR
TOURO - CA and NY
NOVA

MD:
(I know these are a little far fetched for my stats, but I've already paid the primary so I'll apply to atleast one or two)
USC Columbia
USC Greenville
MUSC (Hoping my job as a tech could open some doors here)
Tulane
NY med

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
You should probably shadow a primary care physician (MD) and an osteopathic physician. While shadowing a vascular surgeon is impressive, it implies ALOT about your personality. Even if it isn’t necessarily true. Do some PCP shadowing ASAP my friend. I wouldn’t submit without it

I’m not sure about the other new DO schools, but I wouldn’t call ARCOM a mess. They are a non-profit school quickly setting up rotations all around the region, including rotations in the state that are frequented by UAMS, the MD school. Funding for the school is great, and the community backing behind the school is enormous. Yes, new schools will have some growing pains but please don’t keep them out of consideration. Especially ARCOM. I received two acceptances from ARCOM and KCU, and I chose ARCOM because of the faculty’s charismatic desire to see that the underserved are cared for in the region, and their drive to develop DO’s that are community centered and service driven no matter their geographical area or specialty of practice. I felt right at home on interview day. Call me crazy, but I have put my full faith into the school to make me the best physician I can possibly be for my future patients.
I will be attending VCOM-Carolinas in a months time and can only say great things about VCOM as a whole, so apply to all 3

However, I would add 10+ osteo schools to your list including MUCOM, LECOM, ACOM, and WVSOM. Your stats are solid for a decent amount of schools, but if you get unlucky, you may be looking at zero acceptances come next Fall.

You probably don't need to apply to the new new schools like ICOM, ARCOM, and RVU-Utah - avoid that mess

Add more schools. Why not TUNCOM? Rotations are within 30 minutes drive.
Your stats are good and don't re-take MCAT as you have taken it twice already.
All the best!

I’m not sure about the other new DO schools, but I wouldn’t call ARCOM a mess. They are a non-profit school quickly setting up rotations all around the region, including rotations in the state that are frequented by UAMS, the MD school. Funding for the school is great, and the community backing behind the school is enormous. Yes, new schools will have some growing pains but please don’t keep them out of consideration. Especially ARCOM. I received two acceptances from ARCOM and KCU, and I chose ARCOM because of the faculty’s charismatic desire to see that the underserved are cared for in the region, and their drive to develop DO’s that are community centered and service driven no matter their geographical area or specialty of practice. I felt right at home on interview day. Call me crazy, but I have put my full faith into the school to make me the best physician I can possibly be for my future patients.
Always better to go with the more established school, period.

Always better to go with the more established school, period.
I’m not saying they should choose ARCOM over KCU, because there were more factors at play for me in my decision. I’m just saying be open to the idea.

What is wrong with applying/attending new med schools?

I dont quite understand what you're saying
When you go to a school that doesn’t know wtf they’re doing...it’s your grades that will be affected. It is you whose stress levels will plummet to unimaginable levels. And it will be your happiness and sanity ultimately at sake. That’s why no one wants to go to a new school aka become the guinea pig class (otherwise known as the inaugural class).

The school is still figuring things out. The clinical sites are usually subpar. The school has no name since there are very few alum in the work force. Etc. Also, risky for a student since there is no previous data (or minimal) to ensure that they’re properly preparing their students and no match lists to compare.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The school is still figuring things out. The clinical sites are usually subpar. The school has no name since there are very few alum in the work force. Etc. Also, risky for a student since there is no previous data (or minimal) to ensure that they’re properly preparing their students and no match lists to compare.

But its more easier to get in for that reason? I thought newer schools is a good thing.. You know the first class experiences what the school provides

But its more easier to get in for that reason? I thought newer schools is a good thing.. You know the first class experiences what the school provides
Yes they are easier to get in to.

OP, add more schools

Yes, easier to get into. All of the more competitive applicants are applying to programs that have already made a name, have better clinical sites, solid match lists, etc

Edit: new schools =/= better. Quite the opposite.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, easier to get into. All of the more competitive applicants are applying to programs that have already made a name, have better clinical sites, solid match lists, etc

Edit: new schools =/= better. Quite the opposite.

Oh okay

You should probably shadow a primary care physician (MD) and an osteopathic physician. While shadowing a vascular surgeon is impressive, it implies ALOT about your personality. Even if it isn’t necessarily true. Do some PCP shadowing ASAP my friend. I wouldn’t submit without it

MedicineN Jazz - Thank you for your help. I found a primary care physician a block from my house to shadow and it went great!! Trying to shadow a DO next week then I will feel much more confident in my app. Thanks for your advice!

Thanks dude ill add those to my list!

Add more schools. Why not TUNCOM? Rotations are within 30 minutes drive.
Your stats are good and don't re-take MCAT as you have taken it twice already.
All the best!

Perfect. Thank you!