DO Schools with lower MCAT requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adohusk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have seen that there are some DO schools that have lower MCAT averages. Would that make any difference as far as my future goes in residency or as a doctor if I am accepeted to one of those schools with a lower MCAT average? For Example one school I belive in Virginia had a MCAT avg. of 21? Does that mean that it is a bad school?

Thanks Ajdin

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I have seen that there are some DO schools that have lower MCAT averages. Would that make any difference as far as my future goes in residency or as a doctor if I am accepeted to one of those schools with a lower MCAT average? For Example one school I belive in Virginia had a MCAT avg. of 21? Does that mean that it is a bad school?

Thanks Ajdin

There are a few issues here ... first and foremost, you shouldn't have the mindset that you want to attend a DO school because you have a 21 MCAT. Looking at the bare minimums won't do anything for you because you won't get into schools with this mindset. However, there are some newer schools where the averages are slightly lower ... but these will level out and rise over time. With that said, where you attend school has really nothing to do with residency other than some schools being geared towards primary care, but the school you attend really has nothing to do with landing a residency, you do. Finally, no a lower MCAT average does not mean x school is bad.

Hi,

Thanks Ajdin

i'm under the impression that MCAT scores are similar to SAT/ACT scores in the sense that nobody gives a damn once you are there (med school or college).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I believe the MCAT stats that are out there from KCOM's website are many years old and are a fair bit lower than the current statistics. The GPA's on the website are fairly accurate however. Osteopathic medical school is extremely competitive. If you are interested in a school's admission statistics, you'd probably be better served if you went to their website. Also, schools like VCOM, and PCSOM are recruiting specific types of pre-meds (ie: people who are rural or primary care motivated). If you go to MD applicants, these schools have flat out rejected a great deal of high MCAT scores (28+) in favor of students who have their flavor. What makes a good medical school is complex and is very individual based. If you learn best at a small school; then that is much better than a school with 200 students. Also, many of these schools have lower MCAT averages but turn around and have many of their students perform well on the boards.

i'm under the impression that MCAT scores are similar to SAT/ACT scores in the sense that nobody gives a damn once you are there (med school or college).

:thumbup::thumbup: You are correct!

Pretty much. Once you are on the medical school train (after going through all the trials and tribulations to get on board), what you did to get there pretty much doesn't matter. It's what you do while you are on that train that determines what comes next.

as snoop dogg would say "preach it!!"

Hi,

Thanks Ajdin

I don't think you can draw any significant conclusion about an osteopathic medical school from the average MCAT score; schools may look more for fit rather than to obtain the highest averages. To answer your other question, no, your MCAT score doesn't impact your residency match. However, in the past, a number of studies have shown that there is a rather modest correlation between certain subsections of the MCAT and your board scores, but these correlations don't amount to causation, especially in the context of an individual. Simply, do your best in school, do well on your rotations, approach your preparation for residency intelligently, and study well for boards. These are all items, by the way, that are essentially independent of what school you attend.

Osteopathic medical school is extremely competitive.

not as competetive as MD schools by far. I know of osmeone who applied to like 50 MD schools; no interviews or acceptances. And then that person applied to 8 DO schools with 6 interviews and 4 acceptances including top schools. Many people choose DO because it is their only chance of learning to become a physician in US.

not as competetive as MD schools by far. I know of osmeone who applied to like 50 MD schools; no interviews or acceptances. And then that person applied to 8 DO schools with 6 interviews and 4 acceptances including top schools. Many people choose DO because it is their only chance of learning to become a physician in US.

Medical school is indeed competitive for both if you ask me. I realize MD numbers are slightly higher but anytime you've got 40,000 apps with 4,000 seats there will be competition.

AAMC 546,817 applications for 17,759 matriculations (http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2007/2007school.htm)

AACOMAS 51,099 applications for 3908 first-year enrollment (http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/2006statrpt/Documents/page 5.pdf)

For all osteopathic statistical reports through 2006 see http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/2006statrpt/Pages/default.aspx

For allopathic stats see http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/

If you are going to generalize competition between applicants at allopathic and osteopathic schools, please do your research first.

And realizes that there are plenty of students who chose an osteopathic school over an allopathic one. What medical school to attend is far more complicated than allopathic vs. osteopathic, MCAT scores, or GPA. Please think beyond stereotypes when making these kind of life altering decisions.

Members don't see this ad :)

this is anecdotal evidence really. This means nothing to me.

I know someone who was recruited by the ghost of Albert Einstein to go to the MIT physics department, but he chose the to do a M.D. in the Caribbean. Beat that.

Anecdotal evidence is grand.

Hi,

Thanks Ajdin

Every medical school (DO and MD) in the U.S. teaches good medicine. Every medical school lets you enter the residency of your choice, if you are a competitive candidate.

My advice is to apply broadly, understand the strengths of each school you apply to, and most importantly, understand yourself and have a clear concept of why you want to go into medicine.

doucheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee baggggggg!!!!!!! Let's make pre med statements with no evidence. There are a million reasons why someone would be interviewed by a DO school and not an MD school, yes there are various examples where MD schools have higher acceptance stats but ... tell me someone who got into their little state allopathic school with sub par stats (most have extremely high in state pref and some only interview applicants from their own state) should have a superior attitude to someone at a top notch DO school. Don't post if you have absolutely nothing to say besides flaming bull****.

AAMC 546,817 applications for 17,759 matriculations (http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2007/2007school.htm)

AACOMAS 51,099 applications for 3908 first-year enrollment (http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/2006statrpt/Documents/page 5.pdf)

For all osteopathic statistical reports through 2006 see http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/2006statrpt/Pages/default.aspx

If you are going to generalize competition between applicants at allopathic and osteopathic schools, please do your research first.

And realizes that there are plenty of students who chose an osteopathic school over an allopathic one. What medical school to attend is far more complicated than allopathic vs. osteopathic, MCAT scores, or GPA. Please think beyond stereotypes when making these kind of life altering decisions.

wow so like that means that for every MD seat available their are 30 people competing for it on average!

and for every DO seat available their are 13 students competing.

doucheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee baggggggg!!!!!!! Let's make pre med statements with no evidence. There are a million reasons why someone would be interviewed by a DO school and not an MD school, yes there are various examples where MD schools have higher acceptance stats but ... tell me someone who got into their little state allopathic school with sub par stats (most have extremely high in state pref and some only interview applicants from their own state) should have a superior attitude to someone at a top notch DO school. Don't post if you have absolutely nothing to say besides flaming bull****.

Bravo! good man

wow so like that means that for every MD seat available their are 30 people competing for it on average!

Yeah, that's what I meant that MD is more competetive in terms of numbers. Also average MD applicants have higher stats than DO applicants. Stats are not everything, but it can bug some people that a person can get into most of the DO schools he/she interviewed at and not get any interviews to 50 something MD schools. That evidence is not anekdotal, I saw her list and I am close to her.

I know someone who was recruited by the ghost of Albert Einstein to go to the MIT physics department, but he chose the to do a M.D. in the Caribbean. Beat that.

that's all about preference. That person must have not liked Physics as much as medicine.

Every medical school (DO and MD) in the U.S. teaches good medicine. Every medical school lets you enter the residency of your choice, if you are a competitive candidate.

I agree with that, but MD schools are still more competetive to get into.

Yeah, that's what I meant that MD is more competetive in terms of numbers. Also average MD applicants have higher stats than DO applicants. Stats are not everything, but it can bug some people that a person can get into most of the DO schools he/she interviewed at and not get any interviews to 50 something MD schools. That evidence is not anekdotal, I saw her list and I am close to her.

i know exactly what you mean. two of my cousins were accepted to DO after getting rejected by all the MD schools they applied to first cycle. it kinda made a lasting impression on me too unfortunately...

Just read an article in November '07 (MD source, forget which. If you read it too remind me which it was.) It discussed how competitive getting into med school is becoming. Applications are up across the board...it mentioned that people are steering away from many more volatile careers for the stability of medicine (hmmm...topic for another thread). The article mentioned that for the first time the average GPA for acceptance into both MD and DO schools was the same (3.5). The average MCAT for the most recent DO acceptance was 26.5, MD was 29. Just thought that was interesting. The tangible numbers gap is closing. There is a lot more to it I'm sure, but that's what the article mentioned.

i know exactly what you mean. two of my cousins were accepted to DO after getting rejected by all the MD schools they applied to first cycle. it kinda made a lasting impression on me too unfortunately...

So what does that tell you about those particular application screening processes for those particular M.D. schools? Were they looking strictly at numbers or were they actually looking at that applicant's experiences? Do the numbers actually represent that individual? I think that if more merit was given to actual experience rather than a standardized test, we would have many more competent medical professionals.

Just read an article in November '07 (MD source, forget which. If you read it too remind me which it was.) It discussed how competitive getting into med school is becoming. Applications are up across the board...it mentioned that people are steering away from many more volatile careers for the stability of medicine (hmmm...topic for another thread). The article mentioned that for the first time the average GPA for acceptance into both MD and DO schools was the same (3.5). The average MCAT for the most recent DO acceptance was 26.5, MD was 29. Just thought that was interesting. The tangible numbers gap is closing. There is a lot more to it I'm sure, but that's what the article mentioned.

MSAR reportes the median MCAT score of accepted applicants for MD schools as 32. Besides the numbers, AOCOMAS is much more forgiving in the GPA calculations than AMCAS. With AMCAS, any bad grade will be calculated in the GPA, while AOCOMAS allows for class retakes and grade substitutions. Plus AOCOMAS combines UG and GRAD GPA's giving an overall GPA.

I am not knocking down DOs, I will be attending a DO school this fall. I just wanted to get the facts straight.

MSAR reportes the median MCAT score of accepted applicants for MD schools as 32. Besides the numbers, AOCOMAS is much more forgiving in the GPA calculations than AMCAS. With AMCAS, any bad grade will be calculated in the GPA, while AOCOMAS allows for class retakes and grade substitutions. Plus AOCOMAS combines UG and GRAD GPA's giving an overall GPA.

I don't think it's that high . . . really?

I agree with that, but MD schools are still more competetive to get into.

You could make that argument, but what then? If we accept your notion that allopathic medical schools are more competitive based on statistical data, what is the significant conclusion, or relationship, you are alluding to here by pointing that out? In other words, "so what?" Are you saying that there is a direct relationship between competition and quality? I wouldn't be so eager to make such a jump, because I believe it is a much more complex issue than that, with a myriad of factors involved, some of which are not readily quantifiable. Once you matriculate, you are on a totally different train track. You've earned your seat and beat out a number of people and are now on the way to becoming a physician. The ticket you used to get in and what you had to do to earn that ticket are no longer very significant; the ticket has been torn and you are admitted, now you need to work toward getting your ticket to residency.

You could make that argument, but what then? If we accept your notion that allopathic medical schools are more competitive based on statistical data, what is the significant conclusion, or relationship, you are alluding to here by pointing that out? In other words, "so what?" Are you saying that there is a direct relationship between competition and quality? I wouldn't be so eager to make such a jump, because I believe it is a much more complex issue than that, with a myriad of factors involved, some of which are not readily quantifiable. Once you matriculate, you are on a totally different train track. The ticket you used to get in and what you had to do to earn that ticket are no longer very significant; the ticket has been torn and you are admitted, now you need to work toward getting your ticket to residency.

great analogy with the ticket!

now you need to work toward getting your ticket to residency.

Yeah, at this point it really outweights anything else. A person can graduate from top 10 MD schools and still end up in a not so good residency.

Also, the mean AO GPA for MD schools is 3.65, not 3.5 (look in AAMC data post).

The only thing that scares me is that alot of those schools have a X number of ppl enter, but X-20 to 30 graduate.

Is that due to class size increase or do alot of DO schools have a high drop out rate, i Mean I can understand some having to drop out, but not a 1/5 of the class.

I am not knocking down DOs, I will be attending a DO school this fall. I just wanted to get the facts straight.

Also, the difference between a 26 and 30 (~56 percentile vs. ~80 percentile) is a much larger gap, percentage wise, than say a 33 and a 37 (~90 percentile vs. ~97 percentile).

The only thing that scares me is that alot of those schools have a X number of ppl enter, but X-20 to 30 graduate.

Is that due to class size increase or do alot of DO schools have a high drop out rate, i Mean I can understand some having to drop out, but not a 1/5 of the class.

Each year the class numbers are slightly different, so the 4th year graduating class may be smaller. Also, students takes leaves of absence, are in duel degree programs, transfer schools, and take fellowships that alter their graduation date.

DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY ASSUME THAT THE DISCREPENCY IS A DROPOUT RATE.

I love my osteopathic medical education, but let's not try to lie to ourselves. It was easier to get in to DO schools. I got into 3/5 DO schools that I applied to and 0/?? for MD schools. Check the MDApps.

THAT SAID, matriculant stats and performance in med school and residency ARE NOT correlated. As far as the school I go to, I would put its education up against ANY of the powerhouse Philly MD schools without blinking an eye...

That's average in each of the sections. But you'd expect some to do worse in others and better in something else. I think the median for NON-URM is something like 32.6 or around that point.

why does that matter? it was all matriculants. you can't just exclude a group of matriculants that bring the average down.

why does that matter? it was all matriculants. you can't just exclude a group of matriculants that bring the average down.
It matters if you are a non-URM trying to gain admission.....

People need to quit looking at med school admission as a 100% numbers game. Is gpa/mcat veryyy important??? Yes. MD schools tend to look at numbers without analyzing the whole applicant, DO schools on the other hand are willing to look at more non traditional applicants, accept those who fit their school mission statement, and analyze applicants achievements outside of gpa and mcat. Now, I am NOT saying that all MD schools simply work in raw numbers, all I'm saying is that DO schools are known for looking deeper, but no one seems to realize this and instead just assume (botard pre med mindset); 'lower mcat gpa = subpar school, easier to get into, below my MD research dreams etc.' I would actually love to see someone with a 32 MCAT and 3.8 who wants to do academic medicine or research apply to a DO school with a strong rural med/primary care emphasis ... I'm quite sure higher numbers wouldn't equate to a better applicant in that case.

It matters if you are a non-URM trying to gain admission.....

ok. sure, if we were discussing differences between non-URM and URM gaining admission to med school, then your comment would be relevant.

we aren't though.

No. It's nowhere near that high. Those numbers are for total applications. Some people apply to 20 or 30 different schools.

First this data doesnt say too much since it includes each person's application to each individual school. For all we know MD applicants apply to 20 schools on average while DOs only to 5. Plus you cant just compare the raw number of applicants and come to a conclusion on competitiveness. There are 2 separate but often overlapping applicant pools.

THAT SAID, matriculant stats and performance in med school and residency ARE NOT correlated.

Actually matriculant stats are correlated with performance in med school.

MD schools tend to look at numbers without analyzing the whole applicant, DO schools on the other hand are willing to look at more non traditional applicants, accept those who fit their school mission statement, and analyze applicants achievements outside of gpa and mcat.
This argument is just like the argument that MD schools dont teach you how to look at the whole patient. Both are bull**** arguments

I would actually love to see someone with a 32 MCAT and 3.8 who wants to do academic medicine or research apply to a DO school with a strong rural med/primary care emphasis ... I'm quite sure higher numbers wouldn't equate to a better applicant in that case.

Um... if you want to do academic research, why would you even consider DO schools much less a rural/primary care emphasis?

Hi,

Thanks Ajdin

I had a 32Q and so I ONLY applied to DO schools. I'd say if your MCAT is lower than that don't even bother ;)

Actually matriculant stats are correlated with performance in med school.

Like most professional schools, medical school performance has little to do with the actual practice of medicine. That is what I meant to say, which is why I discussed its relation to residency. I apologize for leaving that ambiguous.

And as to why a student would choose DO if they wanted to do research? Do you even have any idea what you're talking about. PCOM does a great deal of research, it's just not huge NIH-funded projects. SOME DO schools do a great deal of research, it just does not happen to be our emphasis. It is not uncommon at all for larger, academic medical schools to neglect this aspect in favor of creating future physician-scientists. The administration at these institutions sometimes prioritize research over the careful grooming of future physicians.

Meanwhile, PCOM DO students are emphatically encouraged to do community outreach programs and be active politically...And our professors are hired to TEACH us rather than for their research prowess (although a many of our profs are actively involved in research) this is not a conflict of quality. Rather, it is a reflection of educational emphasis.

And what are you even doing in this forum, instatewaiter? Trolling, no doubt.

This argument is just like the argument that MD schools dont teach you how to look at the whole patient. Both are bull**** arguments

Trust me ... that was not my point. I have never believed in DOs caring/analyzing the entire patient will MDs just shove some pills down there throat (which is a common pro DO argument on SDN). However, I do believe that the way they analyze applicants is quite different.

Um... if you want to do academic research, why would you even consider DO schools much less a rural/primary care emphasis?

I was making a point ... obviously you wouldn't, HOWEVER ... what I was trying to say is that a lot of people automatically say MD schools > DO schools strictly on numbers, which implies that higher numbers make a better applicant for better schools. BUT, DO schools do accept applicants who match their school mission statement, so if someone had great numbers with no intent on primary/rural care, and applied to a school with a large emphasis on that branch of medicine, they would not be a better applicant than someone with potentially lower stats but a passion for rural medicine. It's all relative, and DO schools are too often dismissed by pre meds because they believe numbers are everything.

I see you are also a 1k member ... I just joined that club, and it feels goooood :laugh:

I love my osteopathic medical education, but let's not try to lie to ourselves. It was easier to get in to DO schools. I got into 3/5 DO schools that I applied to and 0/?? for MD schools. Check the MDApps.

THAT SAID, matriculant stats and performance in med school and residency ARE NOT correlated. As far as the school I go to, I would put its education up against ANY of the powerhouse Philly MD schools without blinking an eye...

That was my point as well. I mean one can extend by saying that matriculant stats will determine to what kind of residency they can get into. (Matriculant stats --> Board scores --> what kind of residency they can apply into)