DO specific: ditch the job for post bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MichAAGC

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm noticing many comments about GPA repair, post bacc courses, and course load.

I graduated a few years ago with a aacomas cgpa of 3.3, and an sgpa of 3.2. My undergrad course load was always light to moderate (10-14 credit hours), never heavy.

In undergrad, I was intent on pursuing a masters in microbial ecology, and was heavily involved in two ecological research projects (as well as working PT).

After graduation, I had to sort out this nagging interest in the medical field (which is now a serious interest in osteopathic medicine). I did so by applying for clinical research positions. The position I'm in now is a full time clinical research position, and exposes me to inpatient units, outpatient units, routine surgical procedures, and all sorts of health care providers. I'm also on/writing a few papers and going to national conferences. I think this could make me stand out somewhat.

I've been taking anatomy and physiology, immunology, neuroanatomy, ect. as a refresher and to show that I can do well in these areas. However, I'm not taking more than 2 classes a semester. Is this a problem given my undergraduate gpa and course load?

long story short: Give up great FT job for FT coursework before applying? I'm concerned about my app getting tossed.

Thank you for your time-

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone,

I'm noticing many comments about GPA repair, post bacc courses, and course load.

I graduated a few years ago with a aacomas cgpa of 3.3, and an sgpa of 3.2. My undergrad course load was always light to moderate (10-14 credit hours), never heavy.

In undergrad, I was intent on pursuing a masters in microbial ecology, and was heavily involved in two ecological research projects (as well as working PT).

After graduation, I had to sort out this nagging interest in the medical field (which is now a serious interest in osteopathic medicine). I did so by applying for clinical research positions. The position I'm in now is a full time clinical research position, and exposes me to inpatient units, outpatient units, routine surgical procedures, and all sorts of health care providers. I'm also on/writing a few papers and going to national conferences. I think this could make me stand out somewhat.

I've been taking anatomy and physiology, immunology, neuroanatomy, ect. as a refresher and to show that I can do well in these areas. However, I'm not taking more than 2 classes a semester. Is this a problem given my undergraduate gpa and course load?

long story short: Give up great FT job for FT coursework before applying? I'm concerned about my app getting tossed.

Thank you for your time-

The GPA is low but if you kill the MCAT you'd have a shot at some of the newer DO schools I think. The more established ones are now up around 3.5 ish or higher (at least mine is). The research will definitely help regardless.

Basically my suggestion is take the MCAT and see how you do. IF you get 510+ you might not have to retake stuff. Or study, take a couple classes not full time, and keep the research if you can. If you can't then retake the classes and hope the stuff you've already done is enough at that point.

I took a gap year and worked full time as a CNA and did some night classes at a community college, and studied for the MCAT....it'll suck but you could do all of it at the same time and frame it as 'time management'. It worked for me. Best of luck

Reactions: 1 user
Your GPA isn't awful (I mean I have heard of some students getting in with a sub 3.0 and even sub 2.5 GPA), but as @Chibucks15 said, your MCAT will be indicative of what you should do next. I would probably only give up a job like that for a past-bacc/masters program that offered guaranteed acceptance. Otherwise, it probably isn't worth the risk. Just my two cents. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA isn't awful (I mean I have heard of some students getting in with a sub 3.0 and even sub 2.5 GPA), but as @Chibucks15 said, your MCAT will be indicative of what you should do next. I would probably only give up a job like that for a past-bacc/masters program that offered guaranteed acceptance. Otherwise, it probably isn't worth the risk. Just my two cents. Best of luck!

Sorry to hijack this thread but can you give me some more info on those students that got in with sub 2.5 cgpa? My stats are below 2.5 how but above 2.0.

Sorry to hijack this thread but can you give me some more info on those students that got in with sub 2.5 cgpa? My stats are below 2.5 how but above 2.0.

It happens, but not often.

If your GPA is sub-2.5 your gonna need guts. Refer to Goro's guide for recommendations

Reactions: 1 users
Usually doing well in a SMP

@Chibucks15, @DrDoogieHowser Thank you for the replies. I think I will go with your advice! I've just completed two post-bacc courses while working FT, and did well. I'm just going to keep at it- worth it.

Thank you again!