Do updates really help at all?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GrinningAlpaca

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It feels like they just don't really go anywhere and no one looks at them, especially for waitlisted applicants. The adcom likely does not reconvene for things such as updates.... I have no doubt that they may go seen at some schools but it seems like the vast majority don't take them into account at all. Does anyone have any experiences with sending updates and getting in, and truly feel like the updates helped?

Members don't see this ad.

They are taken into account. You have to realize that most updates aren't on the magnitude that it will swing a decision towards your favor.

Members don't see this ad :)
At this point, the only "update" worth sending is from a waitlist candidate who is holding an acceptance at a "better" or cheaper school.

@gyngyn, other adcoms,

For the 16-17 cycle,

Do you advise recently started activities be listed in activities or as an update? For things that started <3 months before you applied to a school.

In my case, new research and/or clinical experiences.
-Likely no new pubs would make it in that time, but new projects.
-Clinical, potential weak area, at least compared to other activities.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

@gyngyn, other adcoms,

For the 16-17 cycle,

Do you advise recently started activities be listed in activities or as an update? For things that started <3 months before you applied to a school.

In my case, new research and/or clinical experiences.
-Likely no new pubs would make it in that time, but new projects.
-Clinical, potential weak area, at least compared to other activities.
Planned activities can be included in the primary.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
It's better to have a strong primary application than to rely on "updates."

Reactions: 2 users
It's school dependent as some schools are more receptive to updates and consider them more than other schools. From my experiences, it seems like updates don't make a significant difference (at least enough to bump an applicant up significantly). I do know applicants that got accepted off the waitlist right after sending in an update, but those students may have been high up on the waitlist to begin with and may have gotten in without submitting the update.

I'll give my n=1 but I sent updates to two schools after being waitlisted and later got into both. Granted I was already holding an acceptance and made that known but I can't help but think it didn't sway in my favor at least a little bit. One of my letters was a true letter of intent though and that is where I'll matriculate in a few weeks.

I do know applicants that got accepted off the waitlist right after sending in an update, but those students may have been high up on the waitlist to begin with and may have gotten in without submitting the update.

This could have very well been the case too but I suppose updates don't necessarily hurt unless the school specifies that they do not take updates or you really put your foot in your mouth with meaningless words.

At any rate, no one on this site can speak universally.

Last edited:
My limited experience (my and my girlfriends applications) was that updates are valuable if they contain significant info. For example: acceptance of a paper, a 3.8+ semester, or university awards to name a few.

I also had a mentor/PI/boss write an update/recommendation email directly to the admissions Dean on my behalf. If it had any roll in my coming off the wait list is anyone's guess.