DO vs MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vm26

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are most of you also applying to MD programs? If you get into both DO and MD, which one would you chose?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying to both. Applied to 5 DOs and 21 MDs. I've already been accepted into one DO school close to home. I think if I got accepted to both, I would probably lean towards the MD school, but also I would really want to consider the location of the schools. Ideally I would want to stay in or near California.

I am only applying to D.O. schools, three to be exact, even though I know I would be very competitive at allopathic schools. I love and appreciate the osteopathic philosophy. I also work at a level I trauma center with both M.D. and D.O. ER docs. After working there for about a month now I find absolute equal respect between the two, but the D.O. seem to be a little more well rounded and comfortable interacting with the patients.:p :p :p :p :p

Members don't see this ad :)
i applied to both and once i got into AZCOM i pulled my applications at most schools. I left my state school due to the $ issue and most likely would have gone there for that one reason. As for the md vs do thing-- i think too many people don't realize that the road to being a physician is a two-laner.

Originally posted by s42brown
absolute equal respect between the two, but the D.O. seem to be a little more well rounded and comfortable interacting with the patients.:p :p :p :p :p

It ceases to amaze me. People actually think that D.O's are better at interacting with patients.

That's because of an extensive course on personality that osteopathic folks get but us allopaths don't.

Such a small sample size, ie a few docs, should not sway your decision toward OR away from osteopathy. How much OMM are the osteopaths performing in the ER, anyway?

Honestly, I really just don't think it makes a hoot of difference. You'll find, however, if you wanna be an ER doc, that it may be a bit tougher as a DO (I've been talking with applicants)... But once they're residents, there just ain't a hoot of difference. No, they're not any better or worse with interacting with patients... that's really a personality that you either have or don't BEFORE you even think about medical school..... perhaps the cooler folk are more attracted to osteopathy? That would make DOs better at interacting with patiients, but not because of their education, because of the selection bias.

I applied to both DO and MD. I honestly don't see why everyone doesn't. The osteopathic "philosophy" isn't terribly different from allopathic..

So whatever. I still read these threads sometimes, because I want to see if the same stuff is said about only applying to DO "because of the philosophy"...

Here it comes...

Another MD vs. DO thread... :oops:

Originally posted by PimplePopperMD
It ceases to amaze me. People actually think that D.O's are better at interacting with patients.

That's because of an extensive course on personality that osteopathic folks get but us allopaths don't.

Such a small sample size, ie a few docs, should not sway your decision toward OR away from osteopathy. How much OMM are the osteopaths performing in the ER, anyway?

Honestly, I really just don't think it makes a hoot of difference. You'll find, however, if you wanna be an ER doc, that it may be a bit tougher as a DO (I've been talking with applicants)... But once they're residents, there just ain't a hoot of difference. No, they're not any better or worse with interacting with patients... that's really a personality that you either have or don't BEFORE you even think about medical school..... perhaps the cooler folk are more attracted to osteopathy? That would make DOs better at interacting with patiients, but not because of their education, because of the selection bias.

I applied to both DO and MD. I honestly don't see why everyone doesn't. The osteopathic "philosophy" isn't terribly different from allopathic..

So whatever. I still read these threads sometimes, because I want to see if the same stuff is said about only applying to DO "because of the philosophy"...

Fair and accurate response.

I agree with PimplePopperMD.

I did not apply to DO schools because of the "philosophy" so to speak. I wanted to learn OMM.

DOs aren't necessarily better at interacting with patients than MDs...the PERSON makes the quality of the doctor, not the letters behind your name.

DO schools really stress primary care...areas of medicine that are more people oriented (rather than procedural). I think this is where a lot of people get their argument that DOs are better with people than MDs. Does this mean that an MD family doc isn't as "people oriented" as a DO surgeon? Give me a break.

This argument will continue on, long after I graduate I'm sure.

I really don't care either.

PimplePopperMD was right. Once you're a resident it doesn't make a bit of difference. In the end, you learn the same stuff. The method in which it is taught to you may be a bit different.

As far as OMM in the emergency department...it is lacking. It could probably be used more, but time constraints hold it back considerably.

Point is...be the best doctor YOU can be, MD or DO.

I know that going DO was right for ME and right for what I want to do. I also feel that it will be better for my patients.

Good tread so far. Please don't let it turn into another battle royale.

Hey! I applied to both MD and DO too. Right now Nova's my number one, but I'm taking each school in as it comes and will make my final decision based more on the individual schools than on the degree. I figure that you can be a good doctor no matter what. One thing that's holding me back from osteopathic medicine is that the area/state I want to eventually practice in seems to have the general consensus that d.o.'s are quack doctors (I know this isn't true, because they're just as common in my hometown) If I really want to practice there, I'd be a little nervous about if I'd get any patients. Two things that are pushing me towards osteopathy though, are that (1) the schools seem so much nicer, friendlier, and concerned about you as a person (not you as a number/checkbook), and (2) the people with whom I've interviewed are more down to earth/people I'd rather have as classmates. Just wanted to put in my thoughts!

I applied to 2 DO and 9MD schools. I've been accepted into one of the DO schools. I'm waiting to see what else I get as far as interviews and the rest of that goes. I want to be a doctor- and I'll be one- no matter which "road" I take.
For example- if I were to get into SUNY-Syracuse- it is four hours away from my family and friends- not to mention $$$$ I might actually pick the DO school. Either way, I'm going to be a doctor, and a damn good one at that ;)

i think too many people don't realize that the road to being a physician is a two-laner.

jhug- that was so well said!