Does it look bad to Retake Freshman classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ORamahiii

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I messed up my freshman year. I have really got my ish together since then and this semester(sophomore fall) I got a 3.7GPA. I know it will only go up because I know what I'm doing now. I was thinking about retaking chem 1 next semester and chem 2 fall semester. I was wondering if that would look bad to retake? Or if I should just let them be? Will schools be more worried that I retook them or not?

Another question: I got a D in Calc 1 (4 credits). But I took a 2 part calc 1 class that was 4 credits each and got a B in both. How does that go about replacing the grade ?

So freshman year I took
Chem 1: C+
Comp 1: A
BioE: C+
Calc: D

Chem 2: C+
Retake of a two part Calc 1: B in first half B in second half (4 credits each?)
Psych: B+
Theatre : A

Then I got my ish together and stopped messing around.....

Summer: Ochem 1: A

Now I'm a sophomore and this semester my classes are:
Bio 1: A-
Physics: B
Stats : A
Comp 2: A
Sociology: A

Next Semester (still not 100% but)
Ochem2: (Hopefully can get an A but worst case B+)
Bio 2:(Same prof as bio 1 so hopefully an A)
Public Speaking:( No doubt A)
American Sign Language:( No doubt A)
REATKING CHEM 1:

Summer 17: I am planning on taking Genetics since I am slightly behind due to not taking bio classes my first year..

I think first semester I got like a 2.9? and second semester it came out to a 3.0?

Members don't see this ad.

In terms of grade replacement for calculus you have to call each individual school and ask. We are not adcoms, we can't answer that for you.

Next, retaking those classes is a waste of time. You have above a C meaning you have the minimum required. I think it looks better to take advanced classes in chemistry and do well in those. That will impress the adcoms more.

Well I was just thinking that since I have room in my schedule and I got a C that it would only help..? Like my science and overall would go up.. and I don't really think it's gonna effect OChem 2 or bio 2 for me..? I understand I have the minimum but idk.. like I still am confused..

Members don't see this ad :)
Getting As in higher leveled courses is much better than getting an A in a class you are retaking.

I mean my only thought process is that it will just help I'm not worried about getting As in higher classes I've been doing that but you don't think it'll help? I'm not trying to show I can get an A in chem 1 lol I'm just worried about it lowering my science GPA

When you retake, AADSAS doesn't replace grades. It just puts both towards your GPA. So getting an A in a retake will be the same as getting an A in an upper level. It will generate the same effect in your GPA.

AADSAS will factor in everything that appears on your transcript, not just your best or most recent attempt at a course. Therefore, even if your school doesn't count previous attempts at a course in the GPA you have on file at your school, the GPA that will be passed onto dental schools is the GPA that considers all attempts.

Reactions: 1 user
I had thought that they just add in the C+ and theA together to make it a B+ overall for my chem 1 grade? I thought you average the grades when you calculate it? Therefore boosting my C+ to a B+? Or am I just completely wrong? I've heard when calculating your GPA for the app that if you retake the course you combine the two grades and average it? So if I got a C and an A when I was calculating it for the application i would calculate it to be a B.

I had thought that they just add in the C+ and theA together to make it a B+ overall for my chem 1 grade? I thought you average the grades when you calculate it? Therefore boosting my C+ to a B+? Or am I just completely wrong? I've heard when calculating your GPA for the app that if you retake the course you combine the two grades and average it? So if I got a C and an A when I was calculating it for the application i would calculate it to be a B.
I always thought that with "average" they mean that the average will be at the end, not that they are going to state that you got a B, but that if you calculate the GPA is like you got a B. However, it won't say it in your AADSAS "transcript". I can be completely wrong though.

All attempts will be listed separately on what gets forwarded to dental schools. Their algorithm takes care of the averaging.

Yeah every attempt is separate I understand they'll see I got a C and an A but when calculating my GPA doesn't it get averaged to a B?

Yeah every attempt is separate I understand they'll see I got a C and an A but when calculating my GPA doesn't it get averaged to a B?
Yes. It's like that!
Which proves my point that retaking does the same to your GPA as taking another science and getting an A. However, you'll be getting new knowledge with the new class.

Yeah I understand getting an A in another class will balance it out to like a B but if I retook it and got an A then it will definitely boost my GPA.. It would do nothing but higher my GPA. You're telling me you wouldn't retake a class you got a C in just because you could get As in other classes and that'll balance it out?

I don't think I'm gonna end up retaking because everyone is telling me not to retake it.. I'm clearly on an upward trend and I hear that they give lenience for freshman year but I would almost need all As and like 1 A- in the next like 6 science courses just to be able to get my sGPA to like a 3.3......... all because my freshman year in 3 classes

I don't think I'm gonna end up retaking because everyone is telling me not to retake it.. I'm clearly on an upward trend and I hear that they give lenience for freshman year but I would almost need all As and like 1 A- in the next like 6 science courses just to be able to get my sGPA to like a 3.3......... all because my freshman year in 3 classes

That's exactly what you have to do. Here's the general rule. If you get at least a C in a prerequisite class, cut your losses and move one. If you get lower than a C, retake and get an A. Not a B+ or A-. Dental schools don't like seeing someone fail to master prerequisite material on their second try. You need to prove to them that you have matured from when you failed a class. That's all I got. Hit the books and good luck!

A number of schools I know don't let you retake a class you got at least a C in without administrative approval, because a C is still considered passing.