This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

csequine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I had a life circumstance that caused me to transfer colleges after my first semester of freshman year after a major change. I didn't fully think through the decision to transfer because I was in such a hurry to get out of there, so basically here I am at a ridiculously expensive private school struggling with the thought of so much student debt going into vet school..... So heading into my sophomore year I really would like to transfer again to ISU (the college at which I really hope to attend vet school) but I am afraid that hopping from school to school like that might look bad on my transcripts and application to vet school? I am just wondering what experience you all have had with this and if it might hinder my chances of getting accepted?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Overall, I don't think it would cause you to be denied on its own, but I think it does have at least somewhat of a negative connotation to it since it's going to be more than just once. If I were an adcom, I'd be wondering why you were bouncing around.

As an aside - going to school with a vet school doesn't help you be accepted necessarily (except maybe TAMU, apparently?) so unless ISU is going to be in-state tuition for you, I'd just transfer to your local state school and get IS tuition. And no more transferring.

Speaking from someone who has transferred frequently in undergrad and as a post-bacc student, in all my chats with admissions officers they haven't even batted an eye at it. They noted that it would only be viewed in a negative light if it were accompanied by poor grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to multiple community colleges and two major universities, and it never came up in either of my interviews.

I had transcripts from ten different schools when I applied! Wasn't a problem at all :) I think as long as you apply yourself, and do well in the classes wherever you take them, you should be fine.

I did end up transferring, and I am so glad that I did. I'm 99.9% sure this will be my final college change, and I really hope that it doesn't affect my chances for admission. I came out of it with a 3.6 cumulative gpa so far, which wasn't as good as I had wanted, but not the worst I guess.
I had another question and I might as well piggyback off this post instead of creating a new one.
I am set to graduate a year early, but that is with exactly the minimum reqs for graduating with my BS in biology + vet school reqs. So I'm left with a few options:
1. Apply straight out of undergrad (which will probably be rough because I don't have much job experience yet and I am not sure if I will be able to get enough by then, and overall I feel like it might make my application less competitive)
2. Take a year off and find work with a vet/do research/save money/get more experience, and then apply. (this seems appealing because I'm getting married right after graduation and it might be nice to have a year to chill out/do something other than school before I head off again..)
3. Relax my class plan, postpone graduation another semester or year, try for a better GPA and maybe take on a minor, while getting more experience (my fiance does not like this option and neither do I, it seems like a waste of money, but if you know something I don't know and for some reason it will make my chances better, I'd definitely consider.)
I'd appreciate any advice or opinions on what I should do:)

I did end up transferring, and I am so glad that I did. I'm 99.9% sure this will be my final college change, and I really hope that it doesn't affect my chances for admission. I came out of it with a 3.6 cumulative gpa so far, which wasn't as good as I had wanted, but not the worst I guess.
I had another question and I might as well piggyback off this post instead of creating a new one.
I am set to graduate a year early, but that is with exactly the minimum reqs for graduating with my BS in biology + vet school reqs. So I'm left with a few options:
1. Apply straight out of undergrad (which will probably be rough because I don't have much job experience yet and I am not sure if I will be able to get enough by then, and overall I feel like it might make my application less competitive)
2. Take a year off and find work with a vet/do research/save money/get more experience, and then apply. (this seems appealing because I'm getting married right after graduation and it might be nice to have a year to chill out/do something other than school before I head off again..)
3. Relax my class plan, postpone graduation another semester or year, try for a better GPA and maybe take on a minor, while getting more experience (my fiance does not like this option and neither do I, it seems like a waste of money, but if you know something I don't know and for some reason it will make my chances better, I'd definitely consider.)

How much experience do you have and how long do you have until you could apply? I applied just this past summer. I had no clue that I wanted to be a vet until 2 years ago, so all of my veterinary and research hours were accumulated in that time. It's definitely doable, it just kind of depends on your situation.

I think there's nothing wrong with taking a gap year (and have heard admissions people say so), especially if your productive.

Reactions: 1 user
i transfered from a small state school to a big land grant state school because i was just bored haha

What is your sGPA and your GRE score? How many SA, LA, exotics (etc.) veterinary hours do you have at this time? Any hours of non-clinical shadowing or (paid or volunteer) work in an animal shelter, wildlife sanctuary, kennel attendant, zoo, etc? This information will help us to provide better information to you.

ISU CVM likes in-state students with a connection to their local communities, so that they're likely to become veterinarians who stay in Iowa. Community service is something they like to see in applicants, in addition to the usual grades/GRE/LORs. Diversity of experience is nice, but not absolutely necessary if you present yourself as someone who has a decent grasp of what the profession is, and how you see yourself contributing to it. If I were you, I would apply straight out of undergrad, while also finding a job with a vet. If you don't get in, you can do a file review, plus you will have been building up experience hours. But I can also see the appeal in taking a gap year, especially if you're starting to feel burnt out.

What is your sGPA and your GRE score? How many SA, LA, exotics (etc.) veterinary hours do you have at this time? Any hours of non-clinical shadowing or (paid or volunteer) work in an animal shelter, wildlife sanctuary, kennel attendant, zoo, etc? This information will help us to provide better information to you.
GPA right now is 3.75, so long as everything goes well for finals my grades are looking good for this semester. I haven't taken the GRE yet. I'm a "junior" credit-wise, a sophomore year-wise.
My actual vet clinical hours are very limited. Maybe 40? I've sat in on surgeries and shadowed with both SA and LA vets.
General animal experience is not lacking. I was very into 4H and obsessed with my horses, along with other random animal experience. My fiancé has a herd of cows, I've been his free help for quite a while. I've been really involved with that breeding operation for the last few years, I helped calf 20 heifers last year, which was extremely educational for me. Also have been involved with a Labrador breeder where I've got experience with whelping puppies and everything that goes along with that, learned a lot through that too. I don't know how to put a number on those experience hours, though.
I'm planning on getting involved in some research next semester and this summer, so hopefully that gives me a little variety on my app too.

ISU CVM likes in-state students with a connection to their local communities, so that they're likely to become veterinarians who stay in Iowa. Community service is something they like to see in applicants, in addition to the usual grades/GRE/LORs. Diversity of experience is nice, but not absolutely necessary if you present yourself as someone who has a decent grasp of what the profession is, and how you see yourself contributing to it. If I were you, I would apply straight out of undergrad, while also finding a job with a vet. If you don't get in, you can do a file review, plus you will have been building up experience hours. But I can also see the appeal in taking a gap year, especially if you're starting to feel burnt out.
I'm definitely staying in-state, so that might help me out! I never thought of that!
Thanks for the advice!!

GPA right now is 3.75, so long as everything goes well for finals my grades are looking good for this semester. I haven't taken the GRE yet. I'm a "junior" credit-wise, a sophomore year-wise.
My actual vet clinical hours are very limited. Maybe 40? I've sat in on surgeries and shadowed with both SA and LA vets.
General animal experience is not lacking. I was very into 4H and obsessed with my horses, along with other random animal experience. My fiancé has a herd of cows, I've been his free help for quite a while. I've been really involved with that breeding operation for the last few years, I helped calf 20 heifers last year, which was extremely educational for me. Also have been involved with a Labrador breeder where I've got experience with whelping puppies and everything that goes along with that, learned a lot through that too. I don't know how to put a number on those experience hours, though.
I'm planning on getting involved in some research next semester and this summer, so hopefully that gives me a little variety on my app too.
Based on your cGPA, it seems as if you're competitive for admission to Iowa State CVM, assuming your sGPA and/or last 45 units are similarly competitive. Plus, you're planning to reside in Iowa - so that factor is also in your favor at this time.

Presumably, your future GRE score will be competitive for ISU CVM. You have good livestock ECs with respect to 4H, equine and "free help" for a herd of cows, as well as calving heifers. At the same time, it can't hurt to obtain moooooo-re vet clinical hours (get it - mooing like a cow!) to strengthen your clinical hours with respect to non-livestock. Ditto for non-vet volunteering/community hours. As a general reminder, ISU CVM printed on its homepage: "on a daily basis we address the health of all animals including livestock, poultry, companion animals, equine, captive and free-ranging wildlife, exotic animals and birds." I looked at it ... just saying (although I don't live in Iowa).

Since you also stated that you plan on "getting involved in some research next semester and this summer," it sounds as if you're good to go with any of your options. However, if you really want to add mooooo-re strength to your application (just in case some of your other stats are not as strong as they need to be for ISU CVM), you might consider Option No. 2 (gap year). Plus, since you're "getting married right after graduation" from UG, you might want to use a gap year anyway. It sounded as if lots of different things are going on in your life at the same time. So, a gap year might give you time to bolster your CVM application and give you time to rest and breathe!

Based on your cGPA, it seems as if you're competitive for admission to Iowa State CVM, assuming your sGPA and/or last 45 units are similarly competitive. Plus, you're planning to reside in Iowa - so that factor is also in your favor at this time.

Presumably, your future GRE score will be competitive for ISU CVM. You have good livestock ECs with respect to 4H, equine and "free help" for a herd of cows, as well as calving heifers. At the same time, it can't hurt to obtain moooooo-re vet clinical hours (get it - mooing like a cow!) to strengthen your clinical hours with respect to non-livestock. Ditto for non-vet volunteering/community hours. As a general reminder, ISU CVM printed on its homepage: "on a daily basis we address the health of all animals including livestock, poultry, companion animals, equine, captive and free-ranging wildlife, exotic animals and birds." I looked at it ... just saying (although I don't live in Iowa).

Since you also stated that you plan on "getting involved in some research next semester and this summer," it sounds as if you're good to go with any of your options. However, if you really want to add mooooo-re strength to your application (just in case some of your other stats are not as strong as they need to be for ISU CVM), you might consider Option No. 2 (gap year). Plus, since you're "getting married right after graduation" from UG, you might want to use a gap year anyway. It sounded as if lots of different things are going on in your life at the same time. So, a gap year might give you time to bolster your CVM application and give you time to rest and breathe!

Thanks for your excellent advice! I agree that I need to get more variety in my experience, I definitely need to get more experience with exotics and wildlife. I've raised orphaned raccoons, squirrels, and birds, but that's about it for my wildlife experience. I thought about a summer job or something with the local zoo or DNR but is there any interesting ideas/places to look for wildlife/exotic experience that I might not know about?

... is there any interesting ideas/places to look for wildlife/exotic experience that I might not know about?
You can search for "Iowa and wildlife sanctuaries" on google; and that might lead you to some wildlife opportunities in Iowa.