Doesn't make any sense...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
aww...congrats...soon to be 2lt. i will plan on being there in spirit. my commission date is set for mon 23 under similar circumstances.

I'll be flying across country on the 23rd. I'll salute as I fly over you.....awww....it is like a scene from a movie.....

Members don't see this ad.

I know I asked something like this before, but how did the rest of you finally decide to do this? I have the option of having a family member read me the oath, and having my parents attend, but it seems sort of silly since both myself and the person reading the oath would have to be in a suit and tie (I won't have uniforms yet and his are long gone). Should I go for the family thing anyway or just do it in the recruiters office?

I would just do whatever makes you feel most comfortable......now, on more important matters....what should I wear?????

I know I asked something like this before, but how did the rest of you finally decide to do this? I have the option of having a family member read me the oath, and having my parents attend, but it seems sort of silly since both myself and the person reading the oath would have to be in a suit and tie (I won't have uniforms yet and his are long gone). Should I go for the family thing anyway or just do it in the recruiters office?

Again, maybe I'm just way understated or call it what you will, but when I oathed last year as 2LT in AFR I just went to the local mail boxes, etc. (maybe they're called UPS stores now) and had the notary guy do it. (You don't need officer, flag or any of the other I'm reading, though it could be nice I suppose).Terribly anti-climatic but expeditious and hassle-free.
Oh, except I'm from ultra-lib part of the Bay Area and the notary guy was aging 60's dude who felt it necessary to express his views on the evil "military machine."
Eh, whatever. Shorts, t-shirt and down the block.....it's one way to go....

Members don't see this ad :)
I would just do whatever makes you feel most comfortable......now, on more important matters....what should I wear?????
I did my oath in a polo shirt and jeans... no need to go fancy

How's about a skirt and blouse. Although some people here may vote for you to wear a bikini but I'll go the traditional route. ;-)

can't your recruiter just do it wherever you want? mine came to my house.

i second what everyone else says about being comfortable. a suit is not necessary IMO. you'll see how anticlimactic it is once it happens.

How's about a skirt and blouse. Although some people here may vote for you to wear a bikini but I'll go the traditional route. ;-)

Really? I even bought a special Camouflage one for the occasion

Today is Laura's big day..... So will it be the camo bikini? or the traditional route... but we should celebrate either way!
:soexcited::clap::banana::welcome::hardy: :diebanana:

Don't know why I threw in the dead Banana but it seemed the right thing to do :D

Today is Laura's big day..... So will it be the camo bikini? or the traditional route... but we should celebrate either way!
:soexcited::clap::banana::welcome::hardy: :diebanana:

Don't know why I threw in the dead Banana but it seemed the right thing to do :D

well sadly, it might end up being the camo bikini, all my clothes are packed up, I can't find a thing

well sadly, it might end up being the camo bikini, all my clothes are packed up, I can't find a thing
well you could wear nothing but that would be conduct unbecoming of an officer and punshiable by the UCMJ. Besides I think you might distract the recruiter just a tad.

Well the dirty deed is done! For better or worse, I am official now-Air Power

ps- the bikini was a hit!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well the dirty deed is done! For better or worse, I am official now-Air Power

ps- the bikini was a hit!
Congratulations Lt. but remember since I was commissioned before you were I rate a salute.

Oh and when do we get to see the pictures.

And what goodies did you get.

Oh and don't copy my Sig... again!

hey! congrats lt. *salutes*

ps. i bet the bikini was a hit. pics? ;)

Pictures posted on facebook, unfortunatly they made me cover up the Bikini before taking the pics :(

You know the strangest thing about the whole ceremony, and even now...thinking about it is odd. In a matter of 30 seconds I went from being 'nothing' to being my recruiter's superior. It is a striking moment that one can only experience in the military and a bit unnerving

You know the strangest thing about the whole ceremony, and even now...thinking about it is odd. In a matter of 30 seconds I went from being 'nothing' to being my recruiter's superior. It is a striking moment that one can only experience in the military and a bit unnerving

Only a technicality... you're in a completely different corps and thus a diff chain of command.

But yes, it is unbelievable to leapfrog all of the enlisted folks with one signature, a few words, and a salute. Can't wait...sir/ma'am ;)

Only a technicality... you're in a completely different corps and thus a diff chain of command.

But yes, it is unbelievable to leapfrog all of the enlisted folks with one signature, a few words, and a salute. Can't wait...sir/ma'am ;)
Don't forget the four years of higher education you put in to get there. Weather or not you actually learned anything of importance is another matter.

I'll be flying across country on the 23rd. I'll salute as I fly over you.....awww....it is like a scene from a movie.....

Awww...thanks. :)

I just took the oath and signed the forms and contract; now I'm officially an O-1 in the USAF Reserve. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Awww...thanks. :)

I just took the oath and signed the forms and contract; now I'm officially an O-1 in the USAF Reserve. :thumbup:
Did you get any goodies too? I heard they gave LauraDO a fighter jet.

Did you get any goodies too?

Nada. No nick-nacks of any kind. Just 3-years of tuition, a monthly stipend, a commission into the USAF Reserve, a 4 year ADO to date, and $20K CSAB (which I guess makes up for the lack of nick-nacks). Too bad they take out taxes on it, though. Still, it's a nice chunk of cash, in addition to what I am already getting.

I heard they gave LauraDO a fighter jet.

That doesn't surprise me. I thought they would have given her a carrier, though. :D

Nada. No nick-nacks of any kind. Just 3-years of tuition, a monthly stipend, a commission into the USAF Reserve, a 4 year ADO to date, and $20K CSAB (which I guess makes up for the lack of nick-nacks). Too bad they take out taxes on it, though. Still, it's a nice chunk of cash, in addition to what I am already getting.

That doesn't surprise me. I thought they would have given her a carrier, though. :D
If she would have joined the Navy possibly, however fly boys are scared to land on carriers.

The actually gave me my choice, I thought about the carrier, but it didn't come in the color I wanted and the refused to put my initials in diamonds on the wing

Honestly, I am not sure if I can work with these people if they are going to continue to be so difficult and unresponsive to my simple demands

The actually gave me my choice, I thought about the carrier, but it didn't come in the color I wanted and the refused to put my initials in diamonds on the wing

Honestly, I am not sure if I can work with these people if they are going to continue to be so difficult and unresponsive to my simple demands
Laura,

They may have been confused by your request since aircraft carriers don't actually have physical wings it would be hard to place your name on the wing. I did hear though that there is a special place in the bilge room for you. :p

How was the first leg of your trip?

Laura,

They may have been confused by your request since aircraft carriers don't actually have physical wings it would be hard to place your name on the wing. I did hear though that there is a special place in the bilge room for you. :p

How was the first leg of your trip?

oh....um....well...exactly I was testing their knowledge of their own equipment. It was all part of my master plan

First leg of trip was good, once again I am surrounded by boxes though....*sigh*

Ok, am I just completely in the dark here? Wasn't our stipend increased to !900/month? On my benefits letter it says 1600?

nevermind I figured it out

Ok, am I just completely in the dark here? Wasn't our stipend increased to !900/month? On my benefits letter it says 1600?

Yeah, I was a bit concerned when I saw my benefits letter, too, but I think the switch over doesn't start until July, so the letter reflects the old stipend. When we start getting our stipend, it will be $1907/month, minus taxes. We get paid biweekly, on the 1st and the 15th. My first payment is going to be on 080815; can't wait.

Yeah, I was a bit concerned when I saw my benefits letter, too, but I think the switch over doesn't start until July, so the letter reflects the old stipend. When we start getting our stipend, it will be $1907/month, minus taxes. We get paid biweekly, on the 1st and the 15th. My first payment is going to be on 080815; can't wait.

Yeah, I had a bit of a freak out until I emailed them and they told me that exact same thing..whew....

My first payment will be 080801!!! Now to get my book reimbursment stuff in

You got a benefits letter? I haven't received anything since I signed the contract on 6/4. Should I call my recruiter?

You got a benefits letter? I haven't received anything since I signed the contract on 6/4. Should I call my recruiter?

I don't know if it is different for you all, we have a website we log on to that has all of our information and what not. I would call your recruiter though, just to check in and see what is up, it does seem weird that you have heard nothing

Just made the appointment to commission a week from this coming friday. It feels official now, I'm sorta nervous. I think in the back of my head I was almost expecting some sort of disaster to keep this from happening.

You still have nine days left for that disaster to occur!

Yes, but I'm safely back home where I'm not expecting any disasters. I mean, what kind of disaster could possibly happen in New Orleans?

Ah, yes - New Orleans is officially exempt from any natural disasters for the next 50 years! :)

No disasters occured and I'm officially an Ensign.

Congrats...
salute-2.gif

BTW, did they give you guys any sort of orientation or guidance when you signed up?

I ask because I was really impressed by the complete lack of information I recieved. No orientation info, no guidance about when/how I request orders, not even a link to the handbook (which I only know exists because of this site).
Uh no.... and if they are anything like the Army you will have to dig and dig for it!! Don't get me started. God forbid you need to know about something that does not fall under general guidelines. I especially like it that when they finally do send some information about a deadline for something in a month and the wording starts off with as you already know blah blah and ends with not knowing will not exempt you from ...... Lucky for you you found the guys on this forum.
We did ,however, receive not one but two Officer Guides which have been pretty much useless so far in terms of info for the Med Corps. I have found that there is much more info for the other branches which I find it quite cute since on the Army HPSP website it says "... bottom line we take care of our own" when making comparison to Navy or AF. We made a mistake on relying on what the recruiter said and not finding the correct info in time for many things. Oh well live and learn. Sorry to ramble.

BTW, did they give you guys any sort of orientation or guidance when you signed up?

I ask because I was really impressed by the complete lack of information I recieved. No orientation info, no guidance about when/how I request orders, not even a link to the handbook (which I only know exists because of this site).

I received a welcome packet in my email from AFIT about a week after I was commissioned into the AF. It was fairly extensive and altogether impressive from my POV.

HOWEVER:

When I contacted the taxes/payroll office (as listed on the contact sheet) some unruly bitch said she didn't have any information on how much taxes would be withheld from my stipend check despite the fact that it's HER JOB. And despite the fact that I was polite and cordial, she was a complete bitch about it. I will forever hate her.

When I contacted the taxes/payroll office (as listed on the contact sheet) some unruly bitch said she didn't have any information on how much taxes would be withheld from my stipend check despite the fact that it's HER JOB. And despite the fact that I was polite and cordial, she was a complete bitch about it. I will forever hate her.
Wow. In fairness, if you worked for a civilian company and asked your HR rep, she probably wouldn't know either. You need to take into account where you live, how many deductions, withholdings, etc. There are calculators you can go to and do it yourself, but I wouldn't be suprised if someone in personnel didn't have your tax info at their fingertips.

Wow. In fairness, if you worked for a civilian company and asked your HR rep, she probably wouldn't know either. You need to take into account where you live, how many deductions, withholdings, etc. There are calculators you can go to and do it yourself, but I wouldn't be suprised if someone in personnel didn't have your tax info at their fingertips.

What pissed me off mostly was her attitude. She acted like I was an ass for even having the nerve to ask. Maybe if I had demanded it or was rude but I asked nicely and was polite throughout the entire interaction.