Doing Extra-curriculars abroad due to the fact that you live abroad and covid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jyy3gx

Reaction score
Hello, I am a non-trad who ditched premed mid-undergrad and is planning to go back and finish my pre-reqs and ECs.

My family lives abroad (Korea), and I really don't have a home here in the States. Since the classes that I plan to take are asynchronous online, I can take them back in Korea or here.

Given the fact that Covid is in "better" state over in Korea, I have a better chance of getting extra-curricular opportunities there compared to the States (in addition to more networking via family). However, I heard that medical schools don't really like to see people doing their ECs (especially clinical) abroad, but given the limited opportunities due to Covid and the fact that I don't really have a home here, would it be reasonable to do ECs abroad in Korea? Is there even a section in the application where I can list the reasons I did my ECs abroad? Also, do they care about where I do non-clinical ECs (volunteer, research) since they really don't depend on the US healthcare system?

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.